What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the Star Wars Movies in here (1 Viewer)

this brings up a point.   I remember reading the Star Wars book in the late 70s...and it essentially was a screenplay turned into a book.   When were these books ACTUALLY written?   Do I need to just Google it?  Books written on the basis of a movie, expanding on it is lame to me....but I'm not sure I can pinpoint why I feel that way.
Without the book for TFA it feels like a movie inside one solar system with no name planets sitting right next to each other.  There's no context to how far or what importance each place has.

My biggest gripe with TFA was blowing up a whole bunch of planets with the vague first order having built a super weapon in secret. I didn't even know what the main planet's name was till I read the accompanying book. Not too mention what it's significance was.

Also, Vader "turning good".  Would today's audiences accept that?  Vader was the total bad guy.  100% bad.  Then in one movie, heck in just one hour..or maybe you could argue that in JUST ONE SCENE  he goes from super villain to good guy.  It was very realistic how it happened...but I just don't know if 2017 America movie watcher would accept the ultimate bad guy turning good at the end, regardless of how realistic a transition it was.
They spent a lot of time foreshadowing Vader's turn back to the light.  Luke says he felt good in him.  Obi-Wan also says he once felt good still in Vader.  Vader suggests he and Luke kill Palpatine together in ESB.  Palpatine questions his loyalty in ROTJ and doesn't really seem completely sold he can trust Vader anymore.  There's actually a lot of setup for his turn.

You know, if Luke agrees to join Vader and kill Palpatine in ESB, Vader might've turned back to being a Jedi right there.

packersfan said:
MarvinTScamper said:
It was a time when the bad guys winning in a movie was unheard of.   Vader was truly unleashed.  The questions around Luke in the tree, Bespin, Boba Fett (BOBA FETT) and the freezing.   It was just a great sequel, when great sequels didn't exist.   We all loved it, and knew another movie was coming.
It's a damn near perfect movie, even with a cliffhanger ending. It's the GOAT by which all sequels are measured and while many have been good and some very good none have matched it, much less surpassed it in my opinion.
The original Emperor was terrible. Cheesy makeup, bad acting, wooden dialog. They tried to "fix" it by inserting Ian McDiarmid into the DVD versions, but the revised scene was tarnished by one of the most ill-advised exchanges in the entire tri-trilogy:

Emperor: "We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star -- I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."

Vader: "How...is that possible?"

Emperor: "Search your feelings, Lord Vader. You will know it to be true."

WTF!! First off, SPOILER ALERT! Second, there's NO WAY that Vader was THAT DUMB and THAT out-of-tune with the Force. I mean, come on. Everyone knows that his name is LUKE FREAKING SKYWALKER. Vader already made a point of targeting Luke (by name) when they were attacking Hoth. Vader knew exactly who Luke was before talking to the Emperor. And then all of a sudden he tries to play dumb like he's on Maury Povich?? I don't think so.

The original Emperor was terrible. Cheesy makeup, bad acting, wooden dialog. They tried to "fix" it by inserting Ian McDiarmid into the DVD versions, but the revised scene was tarnished by one of the most ill-advised exchanges in the entire tri-trilogy:

Emperor: "We have a new enemy. The young rebel who destroyed the Death Star -- I have no doubt this boy is the offspring of Anakin Skywalker."

WTF!! First off, SPOILER ALERT! Second, there's NO WAY that Vader was THAT DUMB and THAT out-of-tune with the Force. I mean, come on. Everyone knows that his name is LUKE FREAKING SKYWALKER. Vader already made a point of targeting Luke (by name) when they were attacking Hoth. Vader knew exactly who Luke was before talking to the Emperor. And then all of a sudden he tries to play dumb like he's on Maury Povich?? I don't think so.
Blame Lucas.  

It still works but it's clunky.

Assumably Anakin/Vader believed the children died at birth with Padme. Plus, at the depth of his Dark Side involvement he wasn't really Anakin anyway. When he first encounters Luke, he assumes he's just a Force sensitive guy.

Palpatine tells him about Luke with the purpose of setting them against each other. He is a Sith after all. He assumed he would get whichever was strongest in the end. He didn't anticipate that the Skywalkers would both turn on him.

Users who are viewing this thread