What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rank the Star Wars Installments (3 Viewers)

Empire Strikes Back

New Hope

Rogue One

The Mandelorian Series (if allowed)

Last Jedi

Revenge of the Sith 

Solo

Return of the Jedi

Force Awakens

Rise of Skywalker

Phantom Menace 

Attack of the Clones
I like this list - people can ##### all they want about ep. VII-IX but they were infinitely better than the abomination that was I-III

I don’t think some of you guys understand how old you are/sound. My mid-30s wife who never saw SW until we were dating thinks the original trilogy sucks and looks dated. She laughs every time at how stupid it looks now. But, she loved the new trilogy and Mandalorian and Rebels. Same with my 20s-ish nephew. My 10 year old nephew is obsessed with Rey and the new trilogy. They aren’t going to stop making movies just because some soon to be geezers are worried about their memories being ruined. 
Tell your wife I think SHE looks dated! :angry:

I don’t think some of you guys understand how old you are/sound. My mid-30s wife who never saw SW until we were dating thinks the original trilogy sucks and looks dated. She laughs every time at how stupid it looks now. But, she loved the new trilogy and Mandalorian and Rebels. Same with my 20s-ish nephew. My 10 year old nephew is obsessed with Rey and the new trilogy. They aren’t going to stop making movies just because some soon to be geezers are worried about their memories being ruined. 
Yep - the original three were cheesey as hell but good action movies.  The last three had several flaws but were decent enough movies unlike the second trilogy.

My kids are the ages I was when seeing the original and they love almost all the new stuff.  Rogue One and Mandalorian are some of the best SW material ever put out, IMO.  I only ranked IV and V ahead of it due to nostalgia.

There's nothing left to do with Rey. She's collected all the items from the original trilogy and even took the name. Anakin's lightsaber, Millennium Falcon, Lars homestead, Luke's Xwing, R2D2.  Basically she was an obsessed Star Wars fan that thought she got everything she ever wanted. There's no where else to go for her. Even if they had some kind of idea for another movie, the actors are very much out. The 3 mains have all said they're done with Star Wars, 2 of them very vehemently so. 

You could maybe hope for books or comic books but the people in charge of that can't even keep their own timeline straight. 

Disney is all in on Disney Plus and that's Mandalorian and all its spin offs. This is Filoni's world guided by Favreau and Lucas himself. So all the money will be going to this timeline. I don't expect anything from the sequel trilogy to pop up anytime soon when most of the fans that are subbing to D+ to watch Mando are not interested in that. 

My 13 year olds list:

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

The Mandalorian 

The Force Awakens

Solo

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

Phantom Menace

Rise of Skywalker

Attack of the Clones

I refuse to show them anything from the early 2000s period.   I saw just enough from those to consider them Star Ishtar. 
I'm not a fan of the prequels generally, but I did get a little bit different perspective when I watched them with my son.  He really liked them (the first two, he's still a little young for Revenge of the Sith).  It was sort of a reminder that us older folks weren't necessarily the primary target demo for those movies.

There's nothing left to do with Rey. She's collected all the items from the original trilogy and even took the name. Anakin's lightsaber, Millennium Falcon, Lars homestead, Luke's Xwing, R2D2.  Basically she was an obsessed Star Wars fan that thought she got everything she ever wanted. There's no where else to go for her. Even if they had some kind of idea for another movie, the actors are very much out. The 3 mains have all said they're done with Star Wars, 2 of them very vehemently so. 

You could maybe hope for books or comic books but the people in charge of that can't even keep their own timeline straight. 

Disney is all in on Disney Plus and that's Mandalorian and all its spin offs. This is Filoni's world guided by Favreau and Lucas himself. So all the money will be going to this timeline. I don't expect anything from the sequel trilogy to pop up anytime soon when most of the fans that are subbing to D+ to watch Mando are not interested in that. 
I didn’t say anything about wanting more from Ray, I don’t care if we see her again personally. But I am sure we will 15-20 years from now at least. 

I am all about the D+ stuff. Mando is my favorite Star Wars stuff made and rebels and clone wars are great. All for it, we don’t need to revisit the 7-9 characters again, their story was told and personally I was satisfied with it. 

I don't really get some of the Solo hate.  But, my expectations of that were so low after reading the reviews - like, so low that I waited to watch it on an airplane - that maybe that colored my perception.

LOOK AT ME, MY WIFE IS IN HER 30s!!!!

Good God, who pissed in your Wheaties?  It's not like I called your Mom fat or something, damn dude, take it down a notch.  The thing of it is, I think you're missing my point or I didn't explain my point well enough.  It's not about special effects, a childhood fixation, how the movie looks or what type of ray guns, uniforms, spaceships or what have you, it's about the story line. 

For example, I took the family to see Rogue One and I liked it a lot, I thought it was a very good movie.  But, being 100% honest about it, it had a been there done that feel to it and while it explains why Luke could blow up the DeathStar, like so many of the other Star Wars movies, in the end (to me) it just feels like a ton of icing (special effects) and not much cake (script is weak, repetitive and lacking depth) and that's my problem with the Star Wars spin off movies and to take it a step further, my problem with Hollywood in general these days.

I totally get it, there's a lot of money at stake, they put a TON of money into CGI, paying actors, royalties, etc. and so they go with an EXTREMELY conservative, played out, feel good story so they don't risk pissing off fans to put that investment at risk but, in the end, I feel like the movies suffer for it.  To be fair, it's not like the original Star Wars story went out on a limb like they kind of went out there for Empire Strikes Back but after you've seen that original movie, the storyline just feels like it's stuck in a rut to me.  I feel like they don't want to risk the repetitive formula that all the succeeding Star Wars movies seem to have baked into them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Good God, who pissed in your Wheaties?  It's not like I called your Mom fat or something, damn dude, take it down a notch.  The thing of it is, I think you're missing my point or I didn't explain my point well enough.  It's not about special effects, a childhood fixation, how the movie looks or what type of ray guns, uniforms, spaceships or what have you, it's about the story line. 

For example, I took the family to see Rogue One and I liked it a lot, I thought it was a very good movie.  But, being 100% honest about it, it had a been there done that feel to it and while it explains why Luke could blow up the DeathStar, like so many of the other Star Wars movies, in the end (to me) it just feels like a ton of icing (special effects) and not much cake (script is weak, repetitive and lacking depth) and that's my problem with the Star Wars spin off movies and to take it a step further, my problem with Hollywood in general these days.

I totally get it, there's a lot of money at stake, they put a TON of money into CGI, paying actors, royalties, etc. and so they go with an EXTREMELY conservative, played out, feel good story so they don't risk pissing off fans to put that investment at risk but, in the end, I feel like the movies suffer for it.  To be fair, it's not like the original Star Wars story went out on a limb like they kind of went out there for Empire Strikes Back but after you've seen that original movie, the storyline just feels like it's stuck in a rut to me.  I feel like they don't want to risk the repetitive formula that all the succeeding Star Wars movies seem to have baked into them.
I thought my post was pretty light-hearted. You seem extremely high-strung about this man, maybe relax and turn on Empire or something. Jesus Christ. 

I thought my post was pretty light-hearted. You seem extremely high-strung about this man, maybe relax and turn on Empire or something. Jesus Christ. 
  1 hour ago, Capella said:

Okay, yeah you're right, those light hearted comments don't sound like a personal attack at all, my apologies.

Cool, I'll go watch Empire or something and you can run off and bask in the glory and genius of Clone Wars.

Okay, yeah you're right, those light hearted comments don't sound like a personal attack at all, my apologies.

Cool, I'll go watch Empire or something and you can run off and bask in the glory and genius of Clone Wars.
Saying people here sound old is a personal attack :lmao:   COME ON 

Saying people here sound old is a personal attack :lmao:   COME ON 
Thanks for using all caps on COME ON that's the only part I heard, need to crank up my hearing aid I guess.

Empire is even better than I remembered. . . how's Attack of the Clones going for you?

As you can see in my rankings, I’d easily take the prequels over episodes 7-9.  Episode 8 nearly torpedoed the entire franchise it was so bad. 

phantom menace is probably the most underrated of the lot. 

Just going to leave this here.

Generally agree with Cappy that the originals don't hold up as well as people think. Also the Last Jedi gets too much hate, it's the only one of the recent trilogy to actually try something semi-original. I can see why some have Revenge of the Sith relatively high too.

The Mandalorian is at the top of the list for me with Rogue One, but haven't watched Clone Wars yet.

No offense to your wife, but for me, the above would be the equivalent of if I had married a Chicago Bears fan.  

As you can see in my rankings, I’d easily take the prequels over episodes 7-9.  Episode 8 nearly torpedoed the entire franchise it was so bad. 

phantom menace is probably the most underrated of the lot. 
I remember seeing Phantom Menace at midnight when it was released.  Wow.  What a letdown.  Most disappointed I’ve ever been for a movie, relative to the hype.

That’s probably one of the main reasons I still rank it so low.

Have only watched 1-3 in the theater.

Awhile ago I sat for a 20 minute stretch of “Attack of the Clones” where there was a ship chase, Padme fell out of a ship, then there was a huge battle where they all stood in a canyon shooting lasers.

It was seriously the worst stretch of movie I have ever watched I think all things considered (budget, available content, resources at hand). Like how did this get made bad.

I can’t remember anything from any of those 3 movies. Can barely remember anything from the most recent 3 either. 

No offense to your wife, but for me, the above would be the equivalent of if I had married a Chicago Bears fan.  
I love the original trilogy and empire is an absolutely fantastic movie but ep 4 has numerous cringe-worthy moments of acting (almost every scene with Luke, but MH became such a better actor as he got older) and the Return has the horrible Ewoks which my wife and kid jokingly refer to as Star Wars bears. If you are watching that movie for the first time at age 30 without the benefit of childhood memories, it can be pretty rough. 

I remember seeing Phantom Menace at midnight when it was released.  Wow.  What a letdown.  Most disappointed I’ve ever been for a movie, relative to the hype.

I liked phantom for several reasons 

1.  Terrific antagonist in Darth Maul

2.  Very well casted with neeson, mcgregor, Portman etc

3.  Didn’t try to recreate the original trilogy

4.  Updated CGI over original trilogy dated look 

5.  Plot was actually pretty good 

of course it wasn’t perfect with jar jar and some of the dialogue but it was good enough for me.  I was just stoked the franchise was getting an update 

I agree with the sentiment that episode 4 is very dated and doesn’t hold up as well as some of the others.  Even Lucas has admitted this.  

I don't understand all the love for Rogue One. It was ok/fun and, while there are too many plot holes to list is all things Star Wars, the ending of that movie making the whole premise of A New Hope ridiculous just makes me kind of hate it. The only plot hole that I might hate more is the ending of Revenge of the Sith, which made the scene between Luke and Leia just before Luke turns himself in to Vader and the Emperor make zero sense. 

I stood in line for about 12 hours at the best movie theater in Seattle (The Cinerama) to get tickets. People were dressed up, held your line neighbor's spot in line when they got food, the local news was interviewing people, the whole thing.

The only things I remember in the theater were during the opening credits two dudes dressed like Jedis raised lightsabers and crossed them, the crowd went nuts and I vaguely remember the disappointment sinking in during the podrace thing. Haven't watched since :lol:

My random .02

I grew up on the original trilogy....had the toys.....I can watch any of the three, any time.....Empire is my fave followed closely by New Hope.

I think phantom menace was prolly the best of the prequels based on Hayden Christianson being the worst possible actor to be cast as arguably the most important character in the series......AotC and RotS shouldve been the best movies in the series based on what was happening......the movies fall short

I liked Solo more than most on here seems.....I thought it was fun......Rogue One is awesome......Mando is great!....I love the spaghetti western kinda feel.

The new ones.....I dunno yet.....Ive watched em cuz they're Star Wars, but the story falls short in areas.....visually more pleasing than the prequels, which is to be expected.

I really like the cartoon Clone Wars series as well.....my son and I really got into it.

I don't understand all the love for Rogue One. It was ok/fun and, while there are too many plot holes to list is all things Star Wars, the ending of that movie making the whole premise of A New Hope ridiculous just makes me kind of hate it. The only plot hole that I might hate more is the ending of Revenge of the Sith, which made the scene between Luke and Leia just before Luke turns himself in to Vader and the Emperor make zero sense. 
Rogue One admittedly goes big on the fan-service angle, and I can see where that might rub some people the wrong way.  I liked it as a side project that fills in some backstory leading up to E4.  I also really, really like the fact that it has a dark ending with the entire enterprise having been a suicide mission.  That alone sets it apart from everything else in the SW universe. 

All of the characters were completely forgettable and disposable, but that's fine for a one-off.  This isn't great cinema, but it stands out as much better than the dreck they've been serving up since after E6.

The first half or so of that movie is as bad as anything else SW has recently put out.  It is awesome once the action starts, however.

Rogue One admittedly goes big on the fan-service angle, and I can see where that might rub some people the wrong way.  I liked it as a side project that fills in some backstory leading up to E4.  I also really, really like the fact that it has a dark ending with the entire enterprise having been a suicide mission.  That alone sets it apart from everything else in the SW universe. 

All of the characters were completely forgettable and disposable, but that's fine for a one-off.  This isn't great cinema, but it stands out as much better than the dreck they've been serving up since after E6.
I recall more or less enjoying the movie as much as I have any other. That is right up to the point that they literally broadcast the plans for the Death Star across the entire galaxy. Had they just uploaded it to Leia's ship in some manner then all is good. But by broadcasting it across the universe, it made the beginning of Episode 4 pointless - zero reason to store the plans in R2D2 and ship him and C3PO off to Tatooine to be found by Luke and Ben. That was already a nice little coincidence but then it became pointless. The plans didn't need to be gotten back to the rebel base, it was already available on every website in the galaxy. 

I don't really get some of the Solo hate.  But, my expectations of that were so low after reading the reviews - like, so low that I waited to watch it on an airplane - that maybe that colored my perception.
For me it suffered a lot of what a lot of reboots/backstories try to do - over explain every little thing that I didn't feel need answering.  Too much of "here's how he got this" "here's how he got his name", etc.   They hit that over and over and it really rubbed me the wrong way.  It's the only one of the movies I've felt 0 desire to revisit, so that's why it was at 12 for me.  

I've watched Ep 1 - 8, and Solo and Rogue 1 with my kids over the last 3 months.  The only ones I dreaded seeing again were Ep 1, Ep 2, and Ep 9.  All the others were watchable again, although Ep 1 is OK after Maul shows up.

Not looking forward to Ep 9. I was pretty disappointed in the ending to that movie.  All new special Force powers? Bringing people back to life? Palpatine pulling the strings again? Laaaaame. 

At least Solo had Chewie pulling the arms off of someone. 

Anyway here's my ranking. I haven't watched any animated shows.

Ep 5 - Empire
Mandalorian (especially season 1)
---- gap ----
Ep 6 - Jedi
Ep 4 - New Hope
Rogue 1
---- gap ----
Ep 7 - Force Awakens
Ep 3 - Revenge of the Sith
Ep 8 - Last Jedi
Solo
---- gap ----
Ep 9 - Rise of Skywalker 
Ep 1 - Phantom Menace
Ep 2 - Clone Wars

There is something caked in to the SW movies that makes people a little more myopic and grumpy than probably anything else movie-wise.  I will fully admit to being like this when my son and I started watching these.    The originals are a bit cheesy and they are a bit dated.   People that complain a lot about bad acting in the prequels should take an honest look at those.  People that complain about how annoying Jar Jar was should take an honest look at C3PO.   People that complain about the cute marketing grab that was the Ewoks but are gushing over Mandalorian and baby Yoda probably should step back a tad too.   

Long story short, we should all probably ease up a bit about SW.   The sad realization is that they aren't making them for us old farts, they are making them for our kids.  Not sure about you guys, but I don't know a ton that would watch 4-6 over some of the newer ones.  My son's favorite was Ep 3.     Again, I do this too - but we have to realize that as a group we are lining up to watch new Ghostbusters, Top Guns, stoked about Daniel's Japanese love showing up in Cobra Kai, but for some reason Star Wars need to be kept in some time capsule and not updated.  

My sad realization watching them with my son was that the originals were not any more amazing than other stuff I grew up with, and that the new ones still had scenes that made me feel like a kid all over again while watching them.   EP 1 had Duel of the Fates and that battle,  Loved Yoda kicking ### for a bit in Ep, and I got goosebumps in the theater when the X-Wings show up in the Force Awakens.  That's what it's all about at the end of the day when I watch this stuff with the family.  

The thing that made Rogue One better to me was that the stakes involved the lives of real people. 

Gungans, Geonosians, clones...I didn't really care that much that a bunch of CGI characters were dying in battle. They could always respawn more.

But in RO, Jedha City had a bunch of living, breathing beings. At the end, the heroes die - but not before they complete their heroic mission. It all just seemed to matter more.

My 13 year olds list:

Revenge of the Sith

Empire Strikes Back

Return of the Jedi

Rogue One

The Mandalorian 

The Force Awakens

Solo

A New Hope

The Last Jedi

Phantom Menace

Rise of Skywalker

Attack of the Clones
Smart kid

Obi-Wan vs Anakin on Mustafar might be the best moment in all of Star Wars 

Great movies are still great movies even when the special effects are dated.

I remember watching the black and white version of "The Thing" as a kid with my dad, and thought it was amazing.

The problem is with younger people who can't enjoy a movie if the FX aren't ultra realistic.  That hasn't been the case for 90% of the time movies have been made, so it is a loss for them not to enjoy a movie with less than perfect FX.

K2SO is the best droid in the Star Wars universe, bar none.

I thought Jin Erso and Cassian Andor were good, and they did a good job showing how two people on the same side could have different motivations and knock heads.  I thought it was a good job of giving enough back story (without too much) so you could understand where they were both coming from.

Empire Strikes Back

Rogue One

A New Hope

Revenge of the Sith

The Mandalorian

Rebels

Return of the Jedi

A Force Awakens

Rise of Skywalker

Solo

The Clone Wars

Attack of the Clones

The Last Jedi

Phantom Menace

[a gap bigger than the grand canyon]

Star Wars Holiday Special

Resistance

I will be re-watching everything above the gap for the rest of my life and I am very much looking forward to the new series coming out next year.

Anyway here's my ranking. I haven't watched any animated shows.
Clone Wars is a large commitment but Rebels is a much shorter show. 

All indications are that if you want to get the most out of the upcoming tv series, having watched at least Rebels will help imo. 

There is something caked in to the SW movies that makes people a little more myopic and grumpy than probably anything else movie-wise.  I will fully admit to being like this when my son and I started watching these.    The originals are a bit cheesy and they are a bit dated.   People that complain a lot about bad acting in the prequels should take an honest look at those.  People that complain about how annoying Jar Jar was should take an honest look at C3PO.   People that complain about the cute marketing grab that was the Ewoks but are gushing over Mandalorian and baby Yoda probably should step back a tad too.   

Long story short, we should all probably ease up a bit about SW.   The sad realization is that they aren't making them for us old farts, they are making them for our kids.  Not sure about you guys, but I don't know a ton that would watch 4-6 over some of the newer ones.  My son's favorite was Ep 3.     Again, I do this too - but we have to realize that as a group we are lining up to watch new Ghostbusters, Top Guns, stoked about Daniel's Japanese love showing up in Cobra Kai, but for some reason Star Wars need to be kept in some time capsule and not updated.  

My sad realization watching them with my son was that the originals were not any more amazing than other stuff I grew up with, and that the new ones still had scenes that made me feel like a kid all over again while watching them.   EP 1 had Duel of the Fates and that battle,  Loved Yoda kicking ### for a bit in Ep, and I got goosebumps in the theater when the X-Wings show up in the Force Awakens.  That's what it's all about at the end of the day when I watch this stuff with the family.  
I only have two things to add....

The original movie was ground breaking, Lucasfilm, Industrial Light and Magic.....it was something that led to all of this that was to come.....Lucas self-financed, and kept creative rights for Empire based on the success of New Hope......the buzz the original trilogy created can't be recreated......but I do get your point.

Also.....

Star Wars dialogue is the cheesiest of the cheese....always has been....great actors overcome the cheese.....Liam Neason, Ewan McGregor, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Harrsion Ford, Natalie portman.......then there's Hayden Christianson.....for the life of me I can't understand how he got the part.  imo, he makes the prequels almost unwatchable......I mean I love them because I love Star Wars, but his acting is so unbelievable, and so bad it makes AotC and RotS feel like B movies when he's delivering lines.

Honestly, the sequel trilogy was so bad it sucked a lot of the enjoyment out of the films I do like. It seriously diminished all of Star Wars for me.
I didn't even bother to watch The Rise of Skywalker because of the two movies before it. The Force Awakens was decent just because of the nostalgia aspect but it was basically just a New Hope reboot.

here's my ***OFFICIAL*** rankings. (NOTE: I didn't include TV shows like Mandalorian, Clone Wars, Resistance, or Rebels because I haven't seen them all)

1. The Empire Strikes Back  (almost perfect, probably will never be topped)
  2. Rogue One  (story & characters are great, unstoppable Vader, wraps up in a nice bow) 
  3. A New Hope  (classic, never gets old)
  4. Return of the Jedi  (yub nub)
  5. The Force Awakens  (actually sets up the future movies nicely, which was then immediately ruined by The Last Jedi)
  6. Revenge of the Sith  (some decent fight scenes, and we finally get the Dark Side turn)
  7. The Phantom Menace  (only this high for Maul & pod racing)
  8. Solo  (it's barely even a Star Wars movie, only this high because the ones below are worse)
  9. The Rise of Skywalker (misdirection, stupid cameos, horses running on spaceships...make it stop!)
  10. The Last Jedi  (this is what happens when a Star Wars movie is directed by someone who doesn't like Star Wars)
  11. Attack of the Clones  (burn it)

Users who are viewing this thread