What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Cam Akers, MIN (1 Viewer)

I don’t think it’s fair to compare him to other RBs that were traded before as every situation is different.

This is a guy who was touted as the starting bell cow RB prior to us all doing our fantasy drafts.

It’s not like guy is a complete bum and anybody who says he is either dropped him, traded him, or has some other reason for Bias. The only reason he lost his FFB value is because of McVay and if I owned Kyren I would be shopping him hard right now - He’s gonna be next in the McVay doghouse as history has shown.

This was probably the best landing spot for him to be fantasy relevant and to regain his ADP, so Akers owners should rejoice.

I have no shares of Akers…

Take it for what it’s worth, but I heard Akers made comments wanting to smash Sean McVay’s wife and that’s why he was in the dog house. Again, take it for what’s it worth. No sources do whatever you want with it. Maybe someone knows more to this.
So he was punished with having to deal with 8 in the box?

Thoughts on how much FAAB Akers will command ($100 budget)? He was dropped on Tuesday in my league, clears waivers overnight and I have an open roster spot with Wilson in IR.

Has anyone considered the Vikings? Mattison looks bad and Chandler too.....and a team looking for a post season run.

I ain't sayin'.....I'm just sayin'.

Exactly what we as Akers owners were hoping for. His relationship with McVay was toxic. He is still very young and proved late last season what he can do....sorry, but 3 consecutive games of that kinda dominance is no fluke. He also must realize that the leash is short now and that RB's careers rarely last past 28-30, at best. The anemic running game in Minny reflects mostly on Mattison, since defenses can't stack the box with Jefferson, Addison, and Hock to deal with. Vikes know they have a playoff caliber team, that's currently lacking a running game.

IMHO, he will not only be hyper-motivated to perform, but will get every chance to shine.
PLEASE let it be so. :-)

Obviously every league is different. So if you're in a league with a really shallow bench (or a smaller league with plenty on the WW).....I guess I can see dropping him for the right guy.

I just dont see why one poor performance and one healthy scratch (which was clearly going to lead to a trade. Something had to give) would cause you to immediately cut a guy that you presumably drafted as a low end RB2/high end flex option. That's the part that seems silly to me. A change in value (via the trade) was almost certainly coming. Might as well hold and see rather than give up on what was probably your 6th or 7th round pick in September.
I drafted him as my RB4 in a 12-team redraft PPR. He was a later pick & have 4 guys just like him (went WR x4 then TE & QB)

he might clear waivers. :shrug:

Every league is different, context does matter.

As for the poor performance and 1 healthy scratch, you talk like this is a new situation with Akers and not an ongoing saga for years.

Maybe a change of scenery will help.
Maybe not.

I see his new landing spot as a net negative. I’ll let him be someone else’s headache.
Yeah. Dude has been a constant headache and was only worth the pick because he projected to have the bell-cow role.

I'll nominate him for the Allen Robinson award for players I will not own for any price.

Last edited:
Well I am biased hoping Akers wins the lead job outright. Even a 70% split would make my day. And I thought I had a pretty good deal when I drafted him in the 8th round of a redraft. Hmmm.

What worries me is an interview with some talking head on Sirius radio who said no one has ever returned from the same kind of injury Akers sustained with the torn achilles and been the same. Maybe someone who is actually qualified and has watched him can comment. I know his last 4 games last year were fine. Game 1 this year not so much. But possible game 1 the line was just stuffed I don't know and one game isn't the end all.

Would like opinions on if he has lost burst and maybe it isn't just headache but he isn't good now.

Well I am biased hoping Akers wins the lead job outright. Even a 70% split would make my day. And I thought I had a pretty good deal when I drafted him in the 8th round of a redraft. Hmmm.

What worries me is an interview with some talking head on Sirius radio who said no one has ever returned from the same kind of injury Akers sustained with the torn achilles and been the same. Maybe someone who is actually qualified and has watched him can comment. I know his last 4 games last year were fine. Game 1 this year not so much. But possible game 1 the line was just stuffed I don't know and one game isn't the end all.

Would like opinions on if he has lost burst and maybe it isn't just headache but he isn't good now.
I dont know with any certainty.

The achilles injury he had is a serious one and there are players who have not recovered from it enough to play at previous level of ability, but there are some players who have.

Akers tried to play after a short recovery time for this injury in 2022. Which seemed somewhat miraculous at the time that the doctors cleared him to play. However he did not play well.

I speculate that he may have tried to play too soon, and although the doctors cleared him to do so, there have been times in the past when doctors have done this, but it may not have been in the best interest of the player to do so. There is a lot of pressure these players put on themselves to play as soon as they can and pressure from coaches as well. These players are putting their health at risk every time they play and really push themselves to the limit wanting to play when it may be wiser for them to take more time for a full recovery.

Take Swift for example with Detroit. It seemed the coaches were always unhappy about Swifts ability to play through pain and ultimately they got rid of him. I think this is a large part of the reason why. Swift was maybe being different than a lot of players and actually trying to take care of himself here. That is an example of the kind of pressure these players are under to perform, regardless of their health or readiness to do so.

Then Akers played most of last season but not particularly well for the first half of 2022. Then he was inactive for 2 games. Was eased in somewhat again after being inactive and then closed out the season pretty strong in the last 3 games from a performance based perspective.

Its possible that Akers needed that much time to fully recover to his former level of play. Almost 2 years. But his recovery may have been impaired because of trying to play too soon. That may be why he did not perform very well.

Then week one he did not perform well. Was inactive week 2 then traded.

So it just remains to be seen. Maybe he has had enough time to fully recover based on some good games at the end of last season. Maybe he hasnt and will never be the same player he was thought to be as a prospect before the injury.

Maybe rushing back to play has hurt his opportunity for a better and fuller recovery from the injury. Maybe it hasnt. Thats something we will likely never know.

Last edited:
Vikings coach Kevin O’Connell said RB Cam Akers is “more than likely” out for Week 3 against the Chargers.

O’Connell said Akers is expected to be ready for Week 4. Traded mid-week, Akers simply didn’t have enough time to get a meaningful amount of the playbook under his belt. Understandably, Minnesota will roll with Ty Chandler as their backup for another week. Once active, Akers should take some carries off Alexander Mattison’s plate, though Mattison will remain the starter. With both banks sitting near the bottom of the league in nearly every efficiency metric, this is a situation to avoid once Akers is active.

Anyone got the sack (or just desperation) to start him tomorrow?

I considered flexing him in over Gus the Bus in a couple of leagues, but decided to give it a week to see what, if any, usage he gets with the Vikes.

I do hope he has a good game, though...wouldn't surprise me a bit.

I considered flexing him in over Gus the Bus in a couple of leagues, but decided to give it a week to see what, if any, usage he gets with the Vikes.

Honestly, I think he gets worked in slowly, you’re hoping he gets a goal line touch and scores. i this its 75% -25% mattison, will see, never know I guess.

I'm in one really deep league with 3 WR's and 2 Flex spots. Just doing well to field a lineup with guys that will touch the ball at those last couple of spots. Just not a ton of choice.

This for me

dropped zack moss instead of him. I shouldn't play fantasy anymore lol. What a "what if" player who I think should be on waivers but he's active on game days and a part of the game plan. I guess he's a hold. He's been close to breaking some really long ones.

He was in at the end of the game. Seems like a 50/50 split with the door open for him to take over.

Would think he's worth a flier and I see little mention of him in waiver wire articles today.

GB matchup a good one too.

Akers showing a bit of promise here. I was offered a late 2nd for him two weeks ago and it was very hard to turn down but I’m seeing some light at the end of tunnel now. I feel like he can be worth a late first if he takes the lead job and I believe he’s capable of it. Only thing that gives me pause about his long term prospects is that he needs a large workload to really get going and a large work load isn’t ideal because of his injury history. It’ll be nice to cash out for a first if this happens.

Was looking good today. I saw he scored the Vikes first rushing td of the season, I think he had 8 carries to Mattison's 4 at that point. Did he get hurt?

Generally surgically repaired tendons become stronger than they were before the injury. As the surgery shortens them, and the rehab focuses on strengthening that specific tendon.

This is why it would be more concerning to me if he had injured the same tendon as before. But this may not be the case.

Regardless of which foot or whatever, it sure seems like it’s just not going to happen for Akers. Injuries, not getting a long with coaches, etc. Just hard to see how it works out from this point.

Did Akers drop back to pass in the 2nd quarter Mattison TD drive?
Play by play den Stats are showing he got sacked for 7 yard loss - eg not a 7 yard rushing loss
(Unrelated to his injury, but wondering exactly what happened here for potential stat correction reasons)

If he did tear an Achilles again he's probably droppable heading into 2024. Of course carry him on your IR until next year's draft, but make no mistake, he's droppable if this is true.

If he did tear an Achilles again he's probably droppable heading into 2024. Of course carry him on your IR until next year's draft, but make no mistake, he's droppable if this is true.
When did this happen? I watched the entire game and didn't notice him get injured at all. They also never showed any replays as to what happened.

Play by play den Stats are showing he got sacked for 7 yard loss - eg not a 7 yard rushing loss
(Unrelated to his injury, but wondering exactly what happened here for potential stat correction reasons)
Yes, it was supposed to be a pass but I am shocked they ruled that a sack. I don't think I have ever seen this ruled a sack before.

Yes, it was supposed to be a pass but I am shocked they ruled that a sack. I don't think I have ever seen this ruled a sack before.
Yea, he ran out of bounds for a 7 yard loss instead of just throwing it away.

confirmed torn achilles
How many times is this going to happen before more of these owners switch from turf to real grass. That would significantly reduce the occurence of this type of injury. This same stadium is going to switch to natural grass for the World Cup but can't do it for NFL. Why? Because it's by far one of the most expensive capital improvements to maintain real grass indoors. Just ask Arizona and Las Vegas. But worth every penny for player safety.

Users who are viewing this thread