What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chris Carson, SEA - 10.7.21 - Neck Issue (1 Viewer)

I don't see much threat from Hyde.  He is pedestrian at this point in talent.  Carson had the fumble issues last season but lots of players have had an issue of some sort to another at one time. I don't take that one thing away from his ability to run, catch, protect, and all-in-all be everything the Seahawks asked for last year. 

Obviously, the Hawks got a bad bug-a-boo at the end of the year at the position and don't want that again so I wouldn't be shocked to see them go extremely deep at the position in order to hedge bets but, if healthy, Carson has to be the guy. 

C Carson lost a fumble in his first three games. The Seahawks then gave him 20+ carries(not touches) 5 games in a row.
C Hyde is a guy who is on his 4th team in 5 years. I think that tells you what the NFL thinks of C Hyde, pretty good but
doesn't scare anybody.

Last edited by a moderator:
C Carson lost a fumble in his first three games. The Seahawks then gave him 20+ carries(not touches) 5 games in a row.
C Hyde is a guy who is on his 4th team in 5 years. I think that tells you what the NFL thinks of C Hyde, pretty good but
doesn't scare anybody.
I don't think Hyde is a true threat to Carson, but he isn't trash.

Last year after being traded to the Texans, they put him to work in WK 1 and netted 83 yards off 10 touches. Wk 6 he got a full load and went 26/116/1 in the win; WK 9 in London he had 160 yards, including a 58 yard scamper (that he unfortunately lost in the EZ for a touchback); and in WK 15 he also got a heavy load of 26/104/1, finishing the year north of 1K yards (best yearly total of his career) and 6 TDs. Also was called in postseason and his 5 yard reception TD sealed the game in OT.

Hyde is not a perennial pro bowler or the second coming of Barry Sanders, but the guy still has tread on the tires, is a proven commodity, and is employable across all 3 downs. If one or either of the backs in SEA falter, Hyde is capable of stepping in to handle their load.

I think Hyde can be more than just injury insurance if Carson/Penny falter in production, even with a ceiling on his own production.

I don't think Hyde is a true threat to Carson, but he isn't trash.

Last year after being traded to the Texans, they put him to work in WK 1 and netted 83 yards off 10 touches. Wk 6 he got a full load and went 26/116/1 in the win; WK 9 in London he had 160 yards, including a 58 yard scamper (that he unfortunately lost in the EZ for a touchback); and in WK 15 he also got a heavy load of 26/104/1, finishing the year north of 1K yards (best yearly total of his career) and 6 TDs. Also was called in postseason and his 5 yard reception TD sealed the game in OT.

Hyde is not a perennial pro bowler or the second coming of Barry Sanders, but the guy still has tread on the tires, is a proven commodity, and is employable across all 3 downs. If one or either of the backs in SEA falter, Hyde is capable of stepping in to handle their load.

I think Hyde can be more than just injury insurance if Carson/Penny falter in production, even with a ceiling on his own production.
I don't think he is trash. The contract details for C Hyde haven't come out yet. That will give us some idea of what the Seahawks think.

Seahawks RB Carlos Hyde told reporters "everybody knows Chris Carson" is the starter.

This confirms a Seattle Times report from May 22 after Hyde was signed. The veteran did suggest he wants to compete with Carson, but most likely it is for the No. 2 role with Rashad Penny likely to begin the season on the PUP list with a "more than normal" ACL tear. Carson's status isn't clear either, as he is still recovering from a hip injury but is expected to be healthy by Week 1. Hyde quietly posted over 1,000 rushing yards last season, so he can still be productive when given enough volume.

RELATED: 

Carlos Hyde

SOURCE: Bob Condotta on Twitter

Jun 8, 2020, 3:42 PM ET

Russell Wilson is as efficient as they come, but Seahawks aren't in same league as NFL's top offenses

Excerpt:

The Seahawks added Carlos Hyde — who had a resurgent 2019 — to their backfield. Do you still buy Chris Carson, coming off an injury, as the RB1, or is this a backfield to be wary of?

Scott: Hyde’s been a little underrated for years; when the fantasy community figured out he would never be truly great, it at times overlooked that he was still capable. Hyde looks like one of those understudy RB picks who could have just enough weekly work to carry standalone value. He’s not necessarily a proactive pick for me at the table, but I’ve become more Hyde-friendly in recent weeks. And like most featured backs, Carson is likely to miss time, perhaps multiple games. That’s just a fact of life for a running back in today’s NFL.

Liz: I’m not sure how many times Pete Carroll has to prove his allegiance to Carson, but maybe the third consecutive season is the charm. While it’s true that Carson’s 2019 campaign ended prematurely due to a hip injury, the Oklahoma State product is expected to be ready for Week 1. It’s being reported, however, that his backfield mate Rashad Penny - who sustained an ACL tear in December of last year - is likely to start the season on the PUP list.

The signing of Carlos Hyde - who underwent shoulder surgery in February - seems more like insurance for Penny than a legitimate threat to Carson’s role as the team’s RB1. Carson has been a beast over the past two seasons, averaging over 17 attempts and 4.5 YPC per game. He’s my RB16, which is, coincidentally exactly where he’s being drafted.

Andy: Well, the reason to be wary is that both Carson and Penny are coming off significant injuries. Hyde changed the trajectory of his career last season in Houston, but it’s pretty clear he wasn’t brought to Seattle to challenge for the lead role. Assuming Carson’s hip is in good shape at the start of the season, he’s at the top of this team’s backfield depth chart. He’s coming off a terrific 2019, having rushed for a career-high 1,230 yards (4.4 YPC) while hauling in 37 receptions and scoring nine TDs. He’s excellent. Hyde should be viewed as a rotational runner and understudy. In a year in which depth is key, there’s no question he was a smart addition to the roster.

JohnnyU said:
Weary of Carson
Weary (meaning tired of him), or wary (meaning afraid of him and his effect on Wilson's numbers) ? 

Not trying to be facetious in asking this question. 

Hyde is fine.  I don't worry over him.  

I don't see any reason Carson can't repeat last year's numbers.  He'll be a solid RB2.

Chris Carson returned to the Seattle Seahawks after taking time away to tend to "family situations."

Carson's absence was due to personal reasons and is not related to his recovery from hip surgery. He was only reported to be absent for a few days and is still on track to start Week 1. Carson practiced with Seattle after returning to the team.

SOURCE: Around the NFL on Twitter

Aug 16, 2020, 5:22 PM ET

(RotoWire) Carson (personal) is attending a funeral in Georgia and therefore was absent for a third day of practice Saturday, Gregg Bell of The Tacoma News Tribune reports. Analysis: This explains Carson's absence which was already assured not to be a health-related situation. Carson is the clear frontline running back ahead of Carlos Hyde and Travis Homer, with DeeJay Dallas expected to handle some of the passing-down work.

Seahawks head coach Pete Carroll heaped praise on RB Chris Carson, saying the veteran "hasn’t had a snap out here that he didn’t look good" after missing nine practices because of deaths in his family. 

“He was flying around, looked really light on his feet. He’s got fresh legs and it showed," Carroll told reporters. "It was a good day, good hot day for him to work.” You can almost hear the gum smacking. Carson's conditioning appears not to be an issue after his extended absence, and he's set to start the season as the workhorse back for a team that establishes the run, no matter what. Carson saw nearly 58 percent of Seattle's carries in 2019. A healthy 16 games for Carson, who's being drafted in the third round, and he's a lock for 250 carries. 

SOURCE: USA Today 

Sep 1, 2020, 10:13 AM ET

Chris Carson declared himself "100 percent" from his fractured hip.

Carson has been practicing in full while at training camp despite missing time for personal matters, so this news doesn't come as much of a surprise. He's fully expected to be the Seahawks' workhorse out of the gates again this season, but his rugged, violent playing style has made him susceptible to injuries in the past. When healthy, however, he's a rock-solid RB2 with plenty of touchdown upside in Seattle's run-oriented offense.

SOURCE: Ben Arthur on Twitter

Sep 1, 2020, 4:25 PM ET

CHRIS CARSON  RB, SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll hinted at using a "hot hand" approach between Chris Carson and Carlos Hyde.

Carson handled 19.3 carries per game on 72 percent of Seattle's offensive snaps last year but that workload seems in doubt with the 25-year-old coming off hip surgery. It's still possible Carson becomes the 'hot hand', but that notion still guarantees Hyde is mixed in from the first drive on. With so few healthy bell-cows available for Week 1, Carson settles in as a low-confidence RB2 whereas Hyde isn't the worst RB3 if fantasy players are desperate for touches. Both will likely be afterthoughts in the passing game.

SOURCE: Joe Fann on Twitter

Sep 11, 2020, 5:10 PM ET

Classic Carroll. 

Hyde is 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but he's gonna lean on him to keep Carson fresh. Which is going to be maddening for FF owners. 

Then Penny comes back in what, week 10-ish?  Could be a mess. Or it could just be Peter being Pete, and CC will get 18-22 carries a game, beasting out.

No one knows. 

Classic Carroll. 

Hyde is 3 yards and a cloud of dust, but he's gonna lean on him to keep Carson fresh. Which is going to be maddening for FF owners. 

Then Penny comes back in what, week 10-ish?  Could be a mess. Or it could just be Peter being Pete, and CC will get 18-22 carries a game, beasting out.

No one knows. 
it’s Carroll’s way of telling Carson to not start fumbling again

it’s Carroll’s way of telling Carson to not start fumbling again
I dunno. That seemed overblown. Couple fumbles - got it under control. One of them a defender had a perfect angle and punched out the ball. Carson’s never been a fumbler. I don’t think Carroll ever considered it a problem. Sometimes ya gotta tip your cap to the defense for making a play. 

Chris Carson rushed six times for 21 yards in the Seahawks' Week 1 win over the Falcons, adding six receptions for 45 additional yards and two touchdowns. 

In what would have been a stunning development a year ago, the Seahawks' lead back received only six carries in a game where they scored 38 points. Equally stunning were Carson's two receiving scores, bringing him 66 percent of the way to his previous career total. Carson's first touchdown came on play action, while the second was a 19-yarder on a screen. Even with the Seahawks opening it up more, six carries is probably a fluke for the Hawks' bruising bell-cow, though it would be impossible not to notice Carlos Hyde winning the tote battle 7-6. The Seahawks' ground game is going to be needed for more in Week 2 against the Patriots. Carson will remain in the RB16-20 range. 

- Rotoworld
I'm not sure there are any losers in #LetRussCook. Carson's running totes turn into reception totes, and you don't want to be in front of him when he has a full head of steam.

The Frankman said:
I'm not sure there are any losers in #LetRussCook. Carson's running totes turn into reception totes, and you don't want to be in front of him when he has a full head of steam.
:goodposting:  

Chris Carson played 28-of-62 snaps (45 percent) in Week 1 against the Falcons.

This wasn’t surprising with Carson coming off a hip injury. He also missed the early part of training camp for personal reasons. The Seahawks gave Carlos Hyde a 34 percent snap share and seven carries, but Carson remains the clear lead back in Seattle.

Sep 16, 2020, 9:32 AM ET

We feeling good about him ROS? Considering trying to trade for him in a contract league where he's in the last year of his contract on a bad team.

I think he'll be fine ROS. I think his usage in the run game week 1 was more of an easing him back into things in a game that was quickly in SEA control. 

We feeling good about him ROS? Considering trying to trade for him in a contract league where he's in the last year of his contract on a bad team.
Couple of thoughts:

• Carroll suggested using Hyde in a committee. That’s what we saw week 1, so he’s serious about it.

• towards the end of last season, Carson owners like me were dismayed to see Penny in a timeshare and having success until he got hurt. So I don’t see week 1 as a fluke at all, but rather a continuation of a trend. Carroll wants RBBC - likely to keep Carson healthy. 

• Hyde isn’t great - he’s certainly no Penny, but he isn’t awful either. He’s solid in pass pro, and is a hard-nosed runner. If you need 1, he’ll get you 3. If you need 5, he’ll get you 3. 

• i’d feel very comfortable with Carson as my RB2. I would feel less comfortable with Carson as my RB1. And I would make efforts to own Hyde anywhere I owned Carson (if I owned Carson), and even a couple places I didn’t. He’s not a bad lottery ticket. 

Couple of thoughts:

• Carroll suggested using Hyde in a committee. That’s what we saw week 1, so he’s serious about it.

• towards the end of last season, Carson owners like me were dismayed to see Penny in a timeshare and having success until he got hurt. So I don’t see week 1 as a fluke at all, but rather a continuation of a trend. Carroll wants RBBC - likely to keep Carson healthy. 

• Hyde isn’t great - he’s certainly no Penny, but he isn’t awful either. He’s solid in pass pro, and is a hard-nosed runner. If you need 1, he’ll get you 3. If you need 5, he’ll get you 3. 

• i’d feel very comfortable with Carson as my RB2. I would feel less comfortable with Carson as my RB1. And I would make efforts to own Hyde anywhere I owned Carson (if I owned Carson), and even a couple places I didn’t. He’s not a bad lottery ticket. 
I have CMC at RB1 , so he'd definitely be my RB2 except for CMC's bye week.  I'd be in better shape if Guice wasn't a dirtbag/bonehead.

The RB waiver wire in this league is  :tumbleweed:  and we do worst-to-first waivers so my best shot is looking for a 1-year rental and give up some 2021 draft capital.

I have CMC at RB1 , so he'd definitely be my RB2 except for CMC's bye week.  I'd be in better shape if Guice wasn't a dirtbag/bonehead.

The RB waiver wire in this league is  :tumbleweed:  and we do worst-to-first waivers so my best shot is looking for a 1-year rental and give up some 2021 draft capital.
Feels strange to root for an injury so someone on the WW might suddenly become relevant. 

Chris Carson had 17 carries for 72 yards and caught three passes for 36 yards and a touchdown in Seattle's Week 2 win over the Patriots.

Carson was quiet for most of the game before turning it on in the fourth quarter. He beat Patriots SS Adrian Phillips and was left wide open on an 18-yard pass from Russell Wilson for his touchdown. Carson continued to lose snaps to Carlos Hyde and Travis Homer but remains the clear lead back. He'll be an RB1 for a likely shootout with the Cowboys in Week 3.

Sep 20, 2020, 11:51 PM ET

He's also coming off hip surgery; you want the guy to last the season. No harm in lightening his load a bit considering the lack of a proper offseason, it's what they would've done anyway if Penny didn't tear up his knee.

I own Hyde but Carson is obvious clear #1 workhorse unless injury or fumbles get in the way. No sign of either yet.  Looks good. 

I own Hyde but Carson is obvious clear #1 workhorse unless injury or fumbles get in the way. No sign of either yet.  Looks good. 
you can pretty much put this narrative to bed. He was never a fumbler in college. 

He had a rough 2-game stretch last year where defenders knocked the ball loose in games 1-2. I think he fumbled 1-2 more times all year. 

Carroll said he was never concerned about it because he had no history as a fumbler. 

Sometimes the defense plays hard, too. 
:shrug:  

you can pretty much put this narrative to bed. He was never a fumbler in college. 

He had a rough 2-game stretch last year where defenders knocked the ball loose in games 1-2. I think he fumbled 1-2 more times all year. 

Carroll said he was never concerned about it because he had no history as a fumbler. 

Sometimes the defense plays hard, too. 
:shrug:  
"Any fumble is bad, but Carson's 7 fumbles in 2019 is just disgusting with some of them coming in absolutely crushing game situations. Over the past 10 years, only 14 running backs have fumbled more than 5 times in a season, so there's no escaping the fact that fumbling 7 times is historically bad."

"Any fumble is bad, but Carson's 7 fumbles in 2019 is just disgusting with some of them coming in absolutely crushing game situations. Over the past 10 years, only 14 running backs have fumbled more than 5 times in a season, so there's no escaping the fact that fumbling 7 times is historically bad."
Yes, but 4 came in a 2-game stretch, and he has never had another season with a fumbling issue including his entire college career. 

Big picture still matters, right?

Despite the fumbles last year, Carroll still went back to Carson time and time again. I don't think fumbles will ever get him in the doghouse unless they got to Tiki Barber-like proportions  of several years ago (that is, before he learned to truly hold on to the ball).

I said "unless". Not that I'm expecting it to happen.  If he does fumble a few times, who knows.
If he didn't get benched after that, he won't if he coughs it up a couple times this year.  Carroll knows the talent is there & also working in Carson's favor is that he only has 3 yards and a cloud of dust Hyde behind him. The Seahawks can't afford to lose his production with a benching. 

Despite the fumbles last year, Carroll still went back to Carson time and time again. I don't think fumbles will ever get him in the doghouse unless they got to Tiki Barber-like proportions  of several years ago (that is, before he learned to truly hold on to the ball).
Didn't have Hyde last season. Apples and oranges.

Hot Sauce Guy said:
If he didn't get benched after that, he won't if he coughs it up a couple times this year.  Carroll knows the talent is there & also working in Carson's favor is that he only has 3 yards and a cloud of dust Hyde behind him. The Seahawks can't afford to lose his production with a benching. 
If he coughs it up 7 times again he could get benched.  There are no absolutes here.  He's not an untouchable elite.  He's not Zeke, McCaffrey, Saquon.  He's Chris Carson. Good, solid journeyman back who did good. Guys like him don't get unlimited immunity.  

Chris Carson (leg) left Week 3 against the Cowboys.

Carson was tackled on a fourth-quarter rush when a second defender landed on the back of his leg. Carson immediately grabbed for his leg, specifically in the knee/femur area. He was able to walk off with some assistance and entered the sideline medical tent. With only a few minutes left in the game, Carson's day is likely done. He 14 times for 64 yards, adding 3 receptions for 12 receiving yards. When healthy, Carson is a high-end RB2 in an explosive offense. Carlos Hyde is his direct backup.

Sep 27, 2020, 7:37 PM ET

Users who are viewing this thread