What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Christian McCaffrey, SF (4 Viewers)

At this point, he seems to have one clear outlier rushing performance and one clear outlier receiving performance. His real pace right now appears to be something closer to 800 rushing yards, 700 receiving yards, 80 receptions, and 3 total TDs. All things considered, it feels like that would be a disappointing season.
Soooo..... he has outliers in 1/3 of his games?

I had him all last year and not once did I think he looked good. I didn't get the hype this offseason. He gets the touches which makes him a valuable fantasy performer and the TDs will come IMO but hes not a very good RB talentwise in my humble opinion.
Heh. Completely disagree. He is pretty damn good when he's got room to operate, and sometimes even when he doesn't. The 15ish yard run yesterday early on when he bounced it outside, and the 20ish yard catch late in the game show you how good he is. Also, PFF stats disagree with your assessment as well.

I had him all last year and not once did I think he looked good. I didn't get the hype this offseason. He gets the touches which makes him a valuable fantasy performer and the TDs will come IMO but hes not a very good RB talentwise in my humble opinion.
No offense, but I'll take provable, quantifiable performance over your subjective evaluation of how he "looks" all day.

As far as the bolded, the latter is simply more demostrably true than the former. 

Top 10 RB in PPR.

as a owner the thing i think that is  holding mccaffery back from being a top 5 back is his own offense. He gets touches but they are not productive touches. Panthers do not take advantage of his strengths. He's the best route runner on the team but they keep him in to block way too often and they are very content to use him as a decoy. Sure he catches passes but usually they are just dump offs. Hes truly a dynamic talent that is really being mis-used its mind boggling. I can imagine what kind of numbers he could put up if Andy Reid or Sean Payton was his head coach!    

At this point, he seems to have one clear outlier rushing performance and one clear outlier receiving performance. His real pace right now appears to be something closer to 800 rushing yards, 700 receiving yards, 80 receptions, and 3 total TDs. All things considered, it feels like that would be a disappointing season.
That's a pretty silly position. I am willing to bet that he will have at least one more "outlier" in each of those categories for the rest of the season.

But he's not getting to 1000/1000.

as a owner the thing i think that is  holding mccaffery back from being a top 5 back is his own offense. He gets touches but they are not productive touches. Panthers do not take advantage of his strengths. He's the best route runner on the team but they keep him in to block way too often and they are very content to use him as a decoy. Sure he catches passes but usually they are just dump offs. Hes truly a dynamic talent that is really being mis-used its mind boggling. I can imagine what kind of numbers he could put up if Andy Reid or Sean Payton was his head coach!    
Maybe my Cam disdain is coloring this, but wonder how many plays he's asked to decoy or block on as the team (or Cam) calls a play or blocking scheme designed to clear out a side for Cam to run at.

Either way, one of CMCs strength seems to be helping out in the blocking game -- chipping to help an OLiner or picking up a blitz. Don't necessarily blame the team as he's good at it. But agree I wish he was the one that was sent out in these kinds of passing plays rather than stay in to block.

That's a pretty silly position. I am willing to bet that he will have at least one more "outlier" in each of those categories for the rest of the season.

But he's not getting to 1000/1000.
So you are willing to bet he will have another game with 184 rushing yards and another game with 14 receptions? I'll take that bet.

I assume you are more likely saying it is likely he will have another game with 100 yards rushing and 10 receptions. I don't disagree, but that isn't going to move the needle much. He could also have games worse than any game to date this season. :shrug:  

Maybe my expectations had risen too high.

So you are willing to bet he will have another game with 184 rushing yards and another game with 14 receptions? I'll take that bet.

I assume you are more likely saying it is likely he will have another game with 100 yards rushing and 10 receptions. I don't disagree, but that isn't going to move the needle much. He could also have games worse than any game to date this season. :shrug:  

Maybe my expectations had risen too high.
The game after he had 14 receptions for 102 yards, he had 2 receptions for 10 yards. I think averaging 7-8 receptions for 50-60 yards will not be difficult. I think he's likely to have one to three 100+ yard rushing games, and one or two 100+ yard receiving games. 

I think the Panthers are trying to win in several ways so they're playoff ready.  CMC has not yet had a true blowup game and I think he's gonna pop when FF owners need him most.  I actually see him having a good game against BAL this weekend.  All signs point to a poor game but this will be the toughest opponent they face and I foresee them leaning on their horse, McCaffrey.  They won't be effective passing, imo and CMC is a dual threat.  It just takes a crease.  It's also that point in the season where teams pick up the intensity another notch and the urgency to win becomes greater.  All I'm really trying to say is that he WILL have a stretch of games where he is carrying teams to victory.  I'd be happy if he maintains his current pace then explodes during weeks 12-16. 

I'd love to pay full price to own McCaffrey in 100 percent of PPR Dynasty leagues.  I wonder if Cam will eat up fewer scoring opportunities on the ground as he gets into his 30s.  Carolina has a lot of weapons, but Cam and McCaffrey are clearly the best of them. 

Dotting this thread. Bought low IMO with McCaffrey for Crowell (right after Powell to IR) and Brandin Cooks. Threw in Hyde too but felt like a great deal to me still. Guy was very frustrated with CMC.

CMC 1,000/1,000 TRACKER

Game 1: 10 carries for 50 yards, 6 receptions for 45 yards

Game 2: 8 carries for 37 yards, 14 receptions for 102 yards

Game 3: 28 carries for 184 yards, 2 receptions for 10 yards

Game 4: 17 carries for 58 yards, 5 receptions for 35 yards

Game 5: 8 carries for 20 yards, 7 receptions for 46 yards

Game 6: 7 carries for 29 yards, 6 receptions for 51 yards

Game 7: 14 carries for 45 yards, 4 receptions for 11 yards

PACE: 966 yds rushing, 685 yds receiving

Our man is slowly fading from the goal. Too many weapons emerging in Carolina. But the Panthers are winning so all is good!

Christian McCaffrey rushed 17 times for 79 yards and two touchdowns in the Panthers' Week 9 win over the Bucs, adding five receptions for 78 additional yards.

McCaffrey's 157 yards from scrimmage were his second most of the season. The second-year pro had little trouble finding huge cushions against the Bucs' pathetic defense, notching gains of 32, 35, 14 and 20 yards. He also notched three carries inside the Bucs' five-yard line, converting two of them for scores. It was what McCaffrey should have done against the Bucs' embarrassingly-bad defense. The sledding will be tougher against the Steelers on Thursday Night Football in Week 10.

Nov 4 - 4:21 PM

Key me ... I faced him in both my leagues this week. :doh:

his contributions were definitely making it closer than I would’ve liked. Especially frustrating in the league that I have Cam Newton. 

Last edited by a moderator:
CMC 1,000/1,000 TRACKER

Game 8: 17 carries for 79 yards, 5 receptions for 78 yards

PACE: 1,004 yds rushing, 756 yds receiving

I don't like the trend on the ypc, but the TDs are trending up.

Interesting...currently RB8, 32 pts in front of RB9 and 30 its behind RB6.  I've never seen a gap like that in before.  He's in tier 3 all by himself.

BassNBrew said:
I don't like the trend on the ypc, but the TDs are trending up.

Interesting...currently RB8, 32 pts in front of RB9 and 30 its behind RB6.  I've never seen a gap like that in before.  He's in tier 3 all by himself.

What happened to RB#7?
10 points ahead but it's Melvin Gordon who missed a game and on a ppg basis is in line with the RB2-RB6 tier.

Good news is I got him in both leagues I am in. Bad news is I started Conner and Kamara over him in one league. Hope he can hold up as he is having a heck of a year.

CMC 1,000/1,000 TRACKER

Game 8: 17 carries for 79 yards, 5 receptions for 78 yards

Game 9: 14 carries for 77 yards, 5 receptions for 61 yards

PACE: 1,029 yds rushing, 780 yds receiving

I don’t think he ever comes off the field! Stud who is still learning to trust his speed. He’s still getting better and hasn’t come close to reaching his prime. 

Thank you 

Went against JUJU and AB last night so the huge 3 TD night kept me in the game 

last three weeks have been unreal

The read-option last night from Newton opened up some huge running lanes for McCaffrey.  The defensive end played contain on Newton every time which left McCaffrey running free.  He had 5 carries for 40 yards on the opening drive alone.  On passing plays it seems like they have him chip the end or stay in to block about 75% of the time.  But on the other 25%, he is usually the primary read and he has been electric.

On pace for 1800 yards and 14 TDs   :excited:

Made a mid season trade for CMC to go along with Gurley, AB and Kelce.  Previous owner had Hunt and CMC, could pick which one I wanted.  I agonized over the choice and ultimately chose CMC due to already having his bye.  Both have gone off since I made the trade but I’m super happy with my choice.  

Users who are viewing this thread