What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Chuba Hubbard, CAR (1 Viewer)

Chuba Hubbard rushed 13 times for 57 yards, hauling in both of his targets for 14 yards in Carolina's Week 4 loss to Dallas.

Hubbard's workhorse usage on early downs, out-carrying Royce Freeman 13-3, was expected. Rodney Smith's usage in the receiving game came out of left field, though, out-targeting Hubbard 5-2 in what was essentially a blowout game script for the entire fourth quarter; having registered four of his five targets while the Panthers were trailing by two scores, it's possible Smith was only in the game for that reason. It didn't help that Hubbard was also vultured by his own quarterback inside the red zone, seeing Sam Darnold plow ahead for 11- and one-yard rushing scores. Hubbard will still rank as a touch-based RB2 against Philadelphia in Week 5 given the injury-riddled landscape of his position.

Chuba Hubbard rushed 24 times for 101 yards in the Panthers' Week 5 loss to the Eagles, adding five receptions for 33 yards.

After giving up receiving duties to Rodney Smith last week, Hubbard dominated the backfield work for Carolina this time around. Smith did not earn a touch while Royce Freeman totaled four yards on four touches. Hubbard tied Robby Anderson for second on the team in targets. Despite Hubbard failing to find the end zone, this was the performance he needed to have to be worth stashing as Christian McCaffrey's backup. McCaffrey is expected to return next week so Hubbard can be put back on the fantasy bench. Still, with 29 touches in a losing effort, Hubbard is clearly the workhorse fantasy managers hoped he would be in the event of a McCaffrey injury. 

RELATED: 

Royce Freeman

Oct 10, 2021, 4:32 PM ET

I think he should keep going because McCaffery is hurt. And needs his money. And is destined to go nowhere given his abilities. Zero chance now he gets gold jacket. Because his bung is snagged into his bungles. 

Chuba Hubbard rushed 16 times for 61 yards and one score, catching 1-of-3 targets for four receiving yards in Carolina's Week 6 overtime loss to Minnesota.

With third-down back Rodney Smith waived mid-week, Hubbard predictably handled 17 of Carolina's 18 backfield touches including all three of team's running back targets. His first career touchdown should partly be attributed to Justin Jefferson, who fumbled inside the 20-yard line to gift the enemy a short field in the first quarter. With Smith out the picture, Hubbard has notably handled 40-of-44 carries and 46-of-51 touches among the Panthers' backfield the past two weeks. He'll continue to rank as a touch-based RB2 in place of Christian McCaffrey (hamstring, IR) moving forward and, in particular, in Week 8 against the Giants.
*looks at above posts*

Remember kids, don't drink and post on mesaageboards.

CHUBA HUBBARD RB, CAROLINA PANTHERS

Panthers head coach Matt Rhule said he wants to "redefine who we are" on offense, including a commitment to establishing the run. 

Rhule seems done with the idea of a Sam Darnold-centric offense following a horrific three-week stretch in which Darnold has thrown four touchdowns and six interceptions. He completed a disastrous 41.7 percent of his attempts in Carolina's Week 6 loss to the Vikings, averaging a miserable five yards per attempt. The desire to establish the run is usually easier than the execution, as many teams are rarely in position to bleed the clock with a three-yards-and-a-cloud-of-dust offensive approach. Expect Chuba Hubbard to get every shot to run the rock for as long as Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) is out, and look for Carolina's passing production to wane if the team is able to create neutral and positive game script. Hubbard has 61 touches in three starts this season. He could be the most valuable waiver add of 2021. 

RELATED: 

Christian McCaffrey

, Sam Darnold

SOURCE: Darin Gantt on Twitter 

Oct 18, 2021, 12:15 PM ET

Dude is saving my life in the RB2 spot when CMC is down. 50% faab well spent so far I think..he could be a lot more if they feature him in the passing game. He's still learning and growing on the job. Nice way to bounce back by being thrown into the fire like this. 

Dude is saving my life in the RB2 spot when CMC is down. 50% faab well spent so far I think..he could be a lot more if they feature him in the passing game. He's still learning and growing on the job. Nice way to bounce back by being thrown into the fire like this. 
Same. I got him on waivers for free one day before CMC got hurt in one redraft. I only have one other CMC redraft share but I have Chuba in all my CMC dynasties. I know the short term IR fumble that the Panthers had was bad news, but *if* they can be smart about not rushing him back *this* time, he can still be the league winning CMC we have known for the FF playoffs. 

I got a pretty condescending offer for my pair of CMC/Chuba this morning in an FFPC SF dynasty. It wasn't a *terrible* offer but dude just assumed I was packing it in for the year. I'm 2 VPs back from the playoffs and deep. Lemme get through the bye weeks a bit and see but this isn't a team that needs torn down.

Darnold looked really, really bad though. IDK what was working for them/him before but it isn't working now. Rhule said they're going to change some things. I think I believe him. Can Darnold be better? Even last week I was more of a believer than I am now.

Chuba Hubbard rushed three times for three yards in the Panthers' Week 9 loss to the Patriots, adding a 33-yard reception. 

Hubbard's 33-yard grab in the third quarter was the Panthers' longest play on a dismal day for the offense. With Christian McCaffrey (hamstring) active for the first time since Week 3, Hubbard got out-touched 18-4. There had been claims of a snap count for McCaffrey, but the Panthers predictably could not help themselves. Thankfully CMC avoided setbacks and will be ready to rock for Week 10 against the Cardinals. That means Hubbard will be off the FLEX radar and back to pure insurance status behind a back who has had trouble staying healthy the past two years. Keep Hubbard rostered if you can.

- NBC SportsEDGE

I would be trying to sell this guy regardless of format.  Have you taken a gander at who he has to play in the fantasy playoffs?

I would be trying to sell this guy regardless of format.  Have you taken a gander at who he has to play in the fantasy playoffs?
If your trade deadline hasn't passed already, yes I'd agree.  TB and NO run defenses in the playoffs, although NO hasn't been it's usual self lately.  

Unfortunately (for me), so many other injuries still going on, I'll likely be forced to start him

If your trade deadline hasn't passed already, yes I'd agree.  TB and NO run defenses in the playoffs, although NO hasn't been it's usual self lately.  

Unfortunately (for me), so many other injuries still going on, I'll likely be forced to start him
Hubbard is my RB1 now unless Philly decides to use Sanders more and Sanders is not afraid of the EZ.  Playoffs.   That’s funny.  

Mitchell RB1 now for me

second will be one of chuba, breida, Rhamondre 

feeling a lot less confident than I was a week ago. 

Any thoughts on playing him this week? Carolina is a bad team but seems like a good matchup. 
I intend to start Jacobs, Mattison and Barkley over him in 0.5 PPR.  Even when he was filling in for CMC the most points he scored for me in a week was 15.90.  I'm even less confident in his ceiling now that Cam Newton is the QB and will likely vulture some goal line TDs.

Any thoughts on playing him this week? Carolina is a bad team but seems like a good matchup. 

I intend to start Jacobs, Mattison and Barkley over him in 0.5 PPR.  Even when he was filling in for CMC the most points he scored for me in a week was 15.90.  I'm even less confident in his ceiling now that Cam Newton is the QB and will likely vulture some goal line TDs.

Added to the rumors that Ameer Abdullah is getting some positive comments.  The change in OC revolved in Rhule wanting more running plays than what was previously schemed.  Rhule wanted 25-30 carries per game...Brady was not giving him what he wanted.  

I expect Ameer to see 10+ while Chubba gets 15+ himself leaving Cam 5-9 desired runs. 

Chuba Hubbard has the lowest rushing yards over expected per attempt this season, according to NFL Next Gen Stats. 

Hubbard, who has 14 rushing attempts for 49 yards over the past two weeks as Carolina's default No. 1 back, has done little with his 2021 opportunities. The rookie has 130 fewer rushing yards than his expected output as the on-again-off-again Panthers starter. Mike Davis, Zack Moss, and Latavius Murray are among the backs with the league's lowest rush yards over expected per attempt through Week 16. Hubbard has little fantasy appeal in the horrid Carolina offense, and could see competition for the No. 2 spot behind Christian McCaffrey next season. 

RELATED: 

Christian McCaffrey

SOURCE: NextGenStats.com 

Dec 27, 2021, 10:25 AM ET

The Foreman thread is getting all the Chuba talk.

For those that are absolutely desperate, there are worse fliers to take.

So which one is the better pick up?
I thought Chuba was a steal coming out of Oklahoma State, but he has had several opportunities to show anything and he has absolutely flopped.

Foreman is the one to grab in my opinion, but as others have said, not a bad idea to take a flyer on Hubbard.

I thought Chuba was a steal coming out of Oklahoma State, but he has had several opportunities to show anything and he has absolutely flopped.

Foreman is the one to grab in my opinion, but as others have said, not a bad idea to take a flyer on Hubbard.
Chuba wasn't a complete flop last year - he can produce in FF on volume. If CAR wants to keep its current 2023 #1 overall draft pick, why not play the younger guys, even if some older guys are better.

I'm in on the chubba side of the debate. My reasoning is he may not have looked great last year but he's still young and may have improved. The team may also want to see what they have in him sinces he's under contract longer while foreman is on a one year deal. Plus most of his starts were against strong run defenses last year.

Chuba Hubbard rushed nine times for 63 yards and a touchdown in Carolina's Week 7 win over Tampa, adding two catches for 10 yards on three targets.

Hubbard left the game early in the fourth quarter, ceding the run-out-the-clock carries to D'Onta Foreman in what appeared to be more of a 60/40 timeshare in favor of Hubbard before the injury. Hubbard was questionable to return but did not return, and Carolina didn't have an update on his injury after the game. Hubbard will be a FLEX option against the Falcons in Week 8 if he is healthy enough to play.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Chuba Hubbard (ankle) did not practice Wednesday.​

He was sporting a red, non-contact jersey and riding the stationary bike off to the side of Wednesday's practice. Hubbard went down late in the Week 7 win over the Bucs. If Hubbard can't play this week, D'Onta Foreman would be a volume-driven RB2 in Carolina's below-average offense.
Oct 26, 2022, 2:31 PM ET

Chuba Hubbard (ankle) said he feels like he can return in Week 9.​

Hubbard was injured in the Panthers' Week 7 win over the Buccaneers and sidelined for Sunday's matchup against the Falcons. The second-year running back rushed nine times for 63 yards and one touchdown in their Week 7 win, splitting touches with D'Onta Foreman (15-118-0). Foreman led the Panthers' backfield in Week 8 with Hubbard sidelined, but the two could be in line for a split if Hubbard is able to suit up against the Bengals.
Oct 31, 2022, 2:45 PM ET

ESPN's David Newton believes Chuba Hubbard (ankle) is still in a "rehab stage."​

While Hubbard's Wednesday practice status remains unclear, there's a chance he'll miss Week 9 against the Bengals. Hubbard said Monday that he feels he can make a Week 9 return, however. D'Onta Foreman, who rushed for 118 yards and three touchdowns in Week 8 as the Panthers' workhorse, would be a borderline RB1 if Hubbard is declared out. Hubbard can be stashed in deeper leagues in case Foreman misses time in the coming weeks, but it appears to be Foreman's job. He had the fifth most expected fantasy points among running backs in Week 8 against Atlanta.
RELATED:

Chuba Hubbard (ankle) indicated that he'd play in Week 10 against the Falcons.​

He also got in a full practice for the first time since suffering the ankle injury in Week 7. Hubbard looks more likely to split D'Onta Foreman's workload on Thursday night than he has the last two weeks. It probably won't be enough to make him more than a fringe FLEX play in season-long leagues.
SOURCE: David Newton on Twitter
Nov 8, 2022, 5:28 PM ET

Chuba Hubbard (ankle) is questionable for Week 10 against the Falcons.​

Hubbard has been a full participant in practice twice this week and already said he expects to play. Listing him as questionable looks like more of a procedural move than anything else. D'Onta Foreman has put together a handful fo strong performances in recent weeks, locking him into the starting gig versus Atlanta. Hubbard will likely steal some work from him but isn't on the fantasy radar this week.
Nov 9, 2022, 1:31 PM ET

Chuba Hubbard (ankle) is active for Week 10 against the Panthers.​

Returning on the short week after missing Weeks 8 and 9, we wouldn't count on Hubbard seeing enough work to provide viable FLEX returns. Inactive for the Panthers are QB Sam Darnold, WR Rashard Higgins, S Juston Burris, LB Arron Mosby and OT Larnel Coleman.
Nov 10, 2022, 6:53 PM ET

Somewhat desperate but with last week’s rash of injuries anybody like Chuba?

Seems to consistently be rated as a RB3/4 this week but can see RB2 potential based on his volume his last 2 games.

Den 17-65
@Sea 14-74-1 and 3-25

This week’s matchup Vs Pit isn’t bad. Next week Vs the suddenly tough Detroit run D doesn’t look as good.

With Mitch T. at QB I would think this will be a Foreman week but this is through the eyes of a hopeful Foreman owner

I have Foreman in one league and think it will be a low scoring game with Car staying run-heavy.

At this point to me it looks like a 50/50 or 60/40 split.

Users who are viewing this thread