What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB D’Andre Swift, CHI (2 Viewers)

Fragile Fred was more durable than Swift.
Literally just did a quick fact check because it so eerily reminds me of Fragile Fred hysteria circa 2000. He had one more more injury and then played 14-16 games for like 7 years lol.

People should chill. He's a football RB. They get hurt, and the injuries aren't perfectly evenly distributed across all RBs. It's random.

I know, I had Taylor for many of those years.

I read an interview with Taylor and he hated being called "Fragile Fred"

I'm in a Guillotine league, and just got Swift. Ekeler on Bye, Breece out with the ACL.

Have to start 2 of Fournette, Swift, Montgomery. Probably firing Swift up.

Literally just did a quick fact check because it so eerily reminds me of Fragile Fred hysteria circa 2000. He had one more more injury and then played 14-16 games for like 7 years lol.

People should chill. He's a football RB. They get hurt, and the injuries aren't perfectly evenly distributed across all RBs. It's random.
Agreed with you that RBs get hurt and nothing unusual here. however, some RBs are better than others in playing with injuries and dealing with pain. He seems to have a tough time dealing with that every time he's injured. Looks more like a soccer player than a football player to me.

Gonna roll him out along with Barkley, Etienne and Pollard. Superflex league so I can go with 4 RBs.

Almost certain it will be the last time I'll have this kind of depth, so we'll see.

Agreed with you that RBs get hurt and nothing unusual here. however, some RBs are better than others in playing with injuries and dealing with pain. He seems to have a tough time dealing with that every time he's injured. Looks more like a soccer player than a football player to me.
Where's the actual evidence of this?

I feel like, other than Staley's comments in the offseason, there's almost more evidence to the contrary. Wasn't he known last year for being "questionable" practically every week, but then suiting up every week except for three?

I feel like, other than Staley's comments in the offseason, there's almost more evidence to the contrary. Wasn't he known last year for being "questionable" practically every week, but then suiting up every week except for three?
true but we also know that the questionable mark during the week these days can be for a toenail. He does seem to be out an awful lot when he's actually banged up. Maybe it's like some of you said just an impression and the actual stats show otherwise but man, he has that soft/fragile reputation for sure.

I wanted to play him, but I sat him because I thought he might be eased back in. Looks like he was. Well, hopefully that's what this was today.

With Hockenson moving on, perhaps Swift will be used even more in the short passing game to get him in space.

Add in the obligatory "until he gets hurt again".

I like the Hock trade for Jamaal Williams and it maybe helping keep him on the field as much or more.

Just curious, why for Jamaal specifically and not Swift?
Now that Swift is back he should be on the field more and getting additional touches going forward. I'm assuming that takes away from JW, but maybe this creates a different opportunity for him.

Lions coach Dan Campbell said D'Andre Swift (shoulder, ankle) is not yet back to full health.​

It explains why he was limited to five carries against the Dolphins. "We want to make sure he’s up to feeling himself and that we can get the most out of him. Whatever those are, even if that’s 10 reps," Campbell said on 97.1 The Ticket on Tuesday. "But we’ll gauge that this week. He’ll come out here and work in practice and we’ll see where it goes.” Swift believes he is getting "better each day," but it sounds like his role could be limited over the next couple of games. That will make him a risk/reward RB2 this week against the Packers.
SOURCE: MLive.com
Nov 1, 2022, 1:10 PM ET

D'Andre Swift (ankle, shoulder) didn't practice Wednesday.​

Not great. Swift clearly isn't 100 percent after getting hurt in the first couple games of the season. We may never see Swift's Week 1 role again this year. Jamaal Williams remains the favorite for carries and goal-line work in Detroit, but Swift is a high-ceiling, low-floor option as a playmaker when on the field.
Nov 2, 2022, 4:08 PM ET

Season killer.
Maybe for the team, but not necessarily fantasy wise as they play a lot of catch up in games.

Fantasy season killer. At least for the two leagues I have him. He hasn't played half the season, then when he's in you're forced to start him while J.Williams does all the scoring (or others on your bench).
Start them both.

When they both play they average just over 14 points each in my league. That would make them each tied for RB#8.

Considering Swift was drafted as RB12 & Jamaal somewhere around RB40, that's solid RoI.

Season killer.
Maybe for the team, but not necessarily fantasy wise as they play a lot of catch up in games.

Fantasy season killer. At least for the two leagues I have him. He hasn't played half the season, then when he's in you're forced to start him while J.Williams does all the scoring (or others on your bench).
Start them both.

When they both play they average just over 14 points each in my league. That would make them each tied for RB#8.

Considering Swift was drafted as RB12 & Jamaal somewhere around RB40, that's solid RoI.
I'm doing that in a 14 teamer this week. Down to Williams, Carter and Hines as my other options due to some injuries, so saves me from irritated when Williams scores and I played Swift

D'Andre Swift (ankle, shoulder) practiced on Thursday.​

It's likely only a limited session, but it's good news for fantasy leagues as Swift played through injury against the Dolphins in Week 8. Limiting his workload as they did in that one may make Swift a riskier fantasy play going forward if he suits up. He would seem to be headed for a questionable tag on Friday.
SOURCE: Benjamin Raven on Twitter
Nov 3, 2022, 1:28 PM ET

Man I was so mad at myself on draft day. At 1.11 I took Diggs, my buddy took Adams and Swift, had to settle for Kamara.

D'Andre Swift (ankle, shoulder) is questionable for Week 9 against the Packers.​

Lions coach Dan Campbell said, "the plan is to get him in the game and see where he's at." It sounds like the team is still unsure of how much work he can handle. Jamaal Williams out-touched Swift 13-10 last week, though Swift did play more snaps. Assuming he plays through the questionable tag, Swift will be a risky RB2 option, though his matchup with the Packers' front-seven is a good one.
Nov 4, 2022, 3:56 PM ET

Considering sitting Swift, ouch! Lions fan here.

Hard to fathom but A Gibson has climbed the ranks and may be a better play over Swift this week. I'm not there yet, but warming up to it.

Took Swift at #12, passing on Barkley. OUCH

Thought he would excel with a good offensive line and a team anticipating playing from behind a lot. Swift stated he had put on some muscle and expected that to help absorbing hits. Campbell talked about Swift needing to understand playing though pain. Looked so good in the opener too. Bummer of a season.

Was able to move him and a couple other decent pieces for Dalvin Cook to a team that has had a lot of injuries and needed some bodies. Kind of funny when Cook is considered the better injury risk.

Considering sitting Swift, ouch! Lions fan here.

Hard to fathom but A Gibson has climbed the ranks and may be a better play over Swift this week. I'm not there yet, but warming up to it.
Yeah, a safer play at this point for sure. Getting the passing game role expected of Mckissic.

Swift getting 5 catches last week was encouraging . Good chance to break a long play if that continues. 15 touches this week would be a step in the right direction. Moved him in one league, but still have him in another, so hoping for the best.

we’re coming up on the midpoint of the season this week and rn D’Andre Soft has

32-237-1 rushing
13-104-2 receiving

32-237-1 rushing
13-104-2 receiving
Right on target for that 1K yards both rushing and receiving he projected in the pre-season.

Would be 6th on this all-time single season record list if he could just average 10 att / g.
That's some heady company. Not sure the staff even trusts him enough with 10 attempts per game any more.

32-237-1 rushing
13-104-2 receiving
Right on target for that 1K yards both rushing and receiving he projected in the pre-season.

Would be 6th on this all-time single season record list if he could just average 10 att / g.
That's some heady company. Not sure the staff even trusts him enough with 10 attempts per game any more.

would you?

15 of 30 career games (10 missed due to injury) with 10 or more att. 6 as a rookie, 8 last year, WK 1 this year.

He's missed 3 more games in 2-1/2 seasons than Barry missed in a decade.

never a serious injury that requires surgery with this guy. lingering things that never heal and he spends months on the injury report. 12 weeks on the injury list last year.

so done with him as a fan. traded for him as a rookie and drafted him last year. steered clear this year, I knew the metro Detroiter drafting behind me would snap him up.

32-237-1 rushing
13-104-2 receiving

would you?

15 of 30 career games (10 missed due to injury) with 10 or more att. 6 as a rookie, 8 last year, WK 1 this year.

He's missed 3 more games in 2-1/2 seasons than Barry missed in a decade.

never a serious injury that requires surgery with this guy. lingering things that never heal and he spends months on the injury report. 12 weeks on the injury list last year.

so done with him as a fan. traded for him as a rookie and drafted him last year. steered clear this year, I knew the metro Detroiter drafting behind me would snap him up.
Definitely would not, and as an owner since day one of his rookie season, I'm beyond frustrated. He was the guy I was relying on most and would be huge for my title chances alongside Barkley and Etienne, yet Swift is the one killing me. Hope he has a halfway decent game so that I can try to unload him for good value to a rebuilding team that views him more highly than I do.

Patience. Guy turns 24 in January. I know it sucks. But I wouldn't sell for anything less than 2 high firsts.
I agree long-term we may look back and see this as an injury blip in his career, but if you're gunning for a title, I'm not sure he's going to do much to help now with his lingering injuries and pared back role.

Patience. Guy turns 24 in January. I know it sucks. But I wouldn't sell for anything less than 2 high firsts.

As I think was mentioned upthread (or elsewhere in TSP recently), Fred Taylor was injury prone early. Missed 24 games his first 4 years; then missed only 9 g in the next 6 years while maintaining a heavy load. You can always find unicorns to make you feel hopeful.

Right before I became a fan, the Lions drafted an All-American halfback from Notre Dame. Nick Eddy won a national championship, 3rd in the Heisman (behind Griese & Spurrier), had never been hurt. Dude missed the first two seasons, played 29 games in 7 years. IIRC he tore his ACL in preseason and then his other ACL the next year. Then broken collarbone, separated shoulder, every year it was something new.

That’s the other end of the spectrum.

I agree long-term we may look back and see this as an injury blip in his career, but if you're gunning for a title, I'm not sure he's going to do much to help now with his lingering injuries and pared back role.
You're not wrong. I'm lucky I guess to have a couple other good backs and not have to worry too much for now.

As I think was mentioned upthread (or elsewhere in TSP recently), Fred Taylor was injury prone early. Missed 24 games his first 4 years; then missed only 9 g in the next 6 years while maintaining a heavy load. You can always find unicorns to make you feel hopeful.

Right before I became a fan, the Lions drafted an All-American halfback from Notre Dame. Nick Eddy won a national championship, 3rd in the Heisman (behind Griese & Spurrier), had never been hurt. Dude missed the first two seasons, played 29 games in 7 years. IIRC he tore his ACL in preseason and then his other ACL the next year. Then broken collarbone, separated shoulder, every year it was something new.

That’s the other end of the spectrum.
Yeah. Either result is possible or anything in between. I guess I'm an optimist, but I still love the ceiling here. You guys can mock my posts in 2 years when he's 26 and has 8 games played between now and then 😁

I wish there was a little more clarity, but I’m rolling out Swift in one league & Jamaal in another and hoping for the best.

The JWill league is the only one I’m competitive in, so I guess I’m rooting for another 2 TD day for him, tbh.

You're not wrong. I'm lucky I guess to have a couple other good backs and not have to worry too much for now.
As mentioned above, I have Barkley and ETN in my 2 RB league, but a healthy a productive Swift would be huge for one of my flexes (SF league).

Users who are viewing this thread