What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dameon Pierce, HOU (1 Viewer)

Actually think he's a good buy low.

Stroud seems like he can get it together, decent WRs, injuries should be overcome at some point, and the matchups have been tough out of the gate.

No reason for the team to giveup on him either. Good young talent everywhere.

Actually think he's a good buy low.

Stroud seems like he can get it together, decent WRs, injuries should be overcome at some point, and the matchups have been tough out of the gate.

No reason for the team to giveup on him either. Good young talent everywhere.
I'm not selling unless someone gave me a WR2. I think once Stroud gets in a groove and the Oline comes back, he will be ready to pound in the cold months.

I know Pierce is good but sitting him this coming week. Jax d line looks pretty decent.
Yeah he's ranked higher than some of my other options, but hate the matchup.

Right now leaning towards starting J. Warren over him in PPR.
That's exactly what I'm thinking about doing.

Question to all Pierce owners:

With RBs beginning to drop like flies, is anyone rostering his backup Singletary as insurance?

I know Pierce is good but sitting him this coming week. Jax d line looks pretty decent.

With RBs beginning to drop like flies, is anyone rostering his backup Singletary as insurance?
Nope

I do in one legaue that fits all the criteria I would need to be interested in him which is larger roster size, own Pierce, not enthused on my RB depth.

So saying that roster size, available options and my current RB depth make it a nuanced answer.

Hard to make him a major priority when the OL is such a mess to point I'm trying to bench Pierce for the time being everywhere I own him and Singletary is inferior to him. If you are in a league that handcuffs are sitting around I'd probably be more interested in the handcuff of a RB you don't own.

No value. I'd rather roster someone else's backup on the up side.

Dameon Pierce rushed 14 times for 31 yards and a touchdown in the Texans’ Week 3 win over the Jaguars, adding three receptions for 28 additional yards.

Pierce was running behind an offensive line missing key pieces, leading to 2.2 yards per carry. He was able to punch in a goal-line touchdown and catch three passes, dominating running back touches until late when the Texans led by multiple possessions. Pierce’s efficiency will be low as long as Houston’s offensive line stays banged up, but he is the definitive lead back. Pierce is an RB2 in a Week 4 matchup against the Steelers.

- Rotoworld
Pierce played 54% of the snaps while Singletary was in on 39%, however via PFF's Nathan Jahnke:
Buy low on Dameon Pierce: Devin Singletary led the Texans in receiving yards, but this was mostly due to work in garbage time.

• The Texans running back rotation was relatively similar to the last two weeks.
  • The main difference has been who is playing on passing downs. It was Mike Boone in Week 1, but he was inactive in Week 2, leading to Devin Singletary and Dare Ogunbowale taking those snaps.
  • This week, Ogunobale was the healthy inactive, leading to Boone playing a few snaps on third downs again.
  • Singletary only ran the ball twice over the first three quarters. Six of his carries occurred in the last seven minutes while Houston maintained a 17-point lead, which the Texans extended to 20 points.
  • Houston was still without starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil while starting right tackle Tytus Howard and center Juice Scruggs are on injured reserve and eligible to return after Week 4. Once they are back, Pierce should be more effective rushing the ball.
Tunsil will be back next week, Howard/Scruggs by Week 5.

Last edited:
Hoping the Oline injuries are the cause for the low YPC. They see him in the game stack the box and tell a rookie QB to beat them. Well that QB is beating them. Maybe less stacked boxes and some line en coming back mean better days for pierce. Wishful thinking right now.

Everyone holding?

Been thinking about dangling him and a hot WR (Doubs) for a slight upgrade on a buy low, say, R. Stevenson.

I'd think with this offense humming through the air, boxes would be less stacked, and you'd think those O Line injuries would resolve soon.

One thing I don't like: Weeks 13-17: @NYJ, TN, CLE, TN. That is not pretty. Tough as nails Run Ds there.

My plan is to hope he gets some good games in over the next 3-4 weeks so I can move him for a WR2. That playoff schedule is daunting. But for now I'm definitely holding. No one is giving up any value for him right now.

I traded my Mclaurin for his Pierce--> I am 1-2 and he is 0-3. Maybe the fresh starts help :)

FIgured hes a better Rb2 than Khalil Herbert & Jaylen Warren.

I loved him preseason. I hated him after 2 weeks. I don't know what to think after 3 weeks. Love the player. Dislike the offense. Seems like it should get better? Can't tell if I should try to buy low or leave him be. Stupid football

Dameon Pierce rushed 14 times for 31 yards and a touchdown in the Texans’ Week 3 win over the Jaguars, adding three receptions for 28 additional yards.

Pierce was running behind an offensive line missing key pieces, leading to 2.2 yards per carry. He was able to punch in a goal-line touchdown and catch three passes, dominating running back touches until late when the Texans led by multiple possessions. Pierce’s efficiency will be low as long as Houston’s offensive line stays banged up, but he is the definitive lead back. Pierce is an RB2 in a Week 4 matchup against the Steelers.

- Rotoworld
Pierce played 54% of the snaps while Singletary was in on 39%, however via PFF's Nathan Jahnke:
Buy low on Dameon Pierce: Devin Singletary led the Texans in receiving yards, but this was mostly due to work in garbage time.

• The Texans running back rotation was relatively similar to the last two weeks.
  • The main difference has been who is playing on passing downs. It was Mike Boone in Week 1, but he was inactive in Week 2, leading to Devin Singletary and Dare Ogunbowale taking those snaps.
  • This week, Ogunobale was the healthy inactive, leading to Boone playing a few snaps on third downs again.
  • Singletary only ran the ball twice over the first three quarters. Six of his carries occurred in the last seven minutes while Houston maintained a 17-point lead, which the Texans extended to 20 points.
  • Houston was still without starting left tackle Laremy Tunsil while starting right tackle Tytus Howard and center Juice Scruggs are on injured reserve and eligible to return after Week 4. Once they are back, Pierce should be more effective rushing the ball.
Tunsil will be back next week, Howard/Scruggs by Week 5.
Texans just picked up a few offensive lineman rumor is Tunsil may be out for much longer than anticipated. Fingers crossed that isn't true.

every time i watch him i think he looks great...last week was close. It's coming though you can see it

every time i watch him i think he looks great...last week was close. It's coming though you can see it
Holding firm.

Although it will get worse. NO this week and then a bye week. Two more weeks of buy low offers coming my way. Nope.

I thought about acquiring him, but that playoff schedule is brutal. TEN, CLE, TEN. Also has JAX and TB, which are both top 10 run defenses. So there are only 5 favorable matchups the rest of the year, and he hasn't really been producing as it is. However, those 5 matchups are all against bottom 10 run defenses (NYJ, ARZ, CAR, DEN, CIN).

I thought about acquiring him, but that playoff schedule is brutal. TEN, CLE, TEN. Also has JAX and TB, which are both top 10 run defenses. So there are only 5 favorable matchups the rest of the year, and he hasn't really been producing as it is. However, those 5 matchups are all against bottom 10 run defenses (NYJ, ARZ, CAR, DEN, CIN).
Things could change.

Combo of that O line and Pierce getting in the groove and TN completely mailing it in by then.

Confident running game will improve
Pierce said Friday that this season has been like another rookie year for him, but he currently feels "amazing" and believes the Texans are "really close" to establishing a successful running game, Aaron Wilson of KPRC 2 Houston reports.

Advice: Pierce doesn't exactly sound frustrated; he appears to be acknowledging that he's had a tough adjustment period under new offensive coordinator Bobby Slowik, who has overseen a productive offense overall under the leadership of rookie quarterback C.J. Stroud. The running back didn't mention being frustrated with his role or usage, though fantasy managers have some cause for concern after Devin Singletary received just one fewer carry than Pierce (13 to 12) in Houston's final game before its Week 7 bye. Pierce likely will remain the starter this Sunday at Carolina and anticipates the Texans having a much more efficient rushing game during the second half of the season. A healthier offensive line certainly should help, especially relative to September when the Texans often had three or four of their five preferred starters out of the lineup.

- Rotowire

I hate to say it but you got what you drafted. A slow college committee 4th round RB on a mediocre to bad team with a rookie QB.

I hate to say it but you got what you drafted. A slow college committee 4th round RB on a mediocre to bad team with a rookie QB.
This may be true but watching him he still passes the eye test for me. Dude runs incredibly hard and rarely gets taken down easy or on the first hit, almost alway falling forward for extra yards. He just hasn’t had any room to run and is getting hit in the backfield every time. Everybody’s talking about how Singletary out played him last week but I watched the whole game, as I have all the Houston games this year, and his runs were against a Defense that was playing the pass so there were lanes. Lanes Dameon hasn’t seen all year.

Like everyone I’m super disappointing as he hasn’t lived up to what we drafted. But when I watch him I don’t see a bad back. I see what I’ve seen 1 million times in the past with the solid running backs who are under performing. A bad line not giving him an opportunity.

Last edited:
This may be true but watching him he still passes the eye test for me. Dude runs incredibly hard and rarely gets taken down easy or on the first hit, almost alway falling forward for extra yards. He just hasn’t had any room to run and is getting hit in the backfield every time. Everybody’s talking about how Singletary out played him last week but I watched the whole game, as I have all the Houston games this year, and his runs were against a Defense that was playing the pass so there were lanes. Lanes Dameon hasn’t seen all year.

Like everyone I’m super disappointing as he hasn’t lived up to what we drafted. But when I watch him I don’t see a bad back. I see what I’ve seen 1 million times in the past with the solid running backs who are under performing. A bad line not giving him an opportunity.

Agreed. I think he looks great when he isn't getting hit as soon as he gets the ball which is 75% of the time

Thanks, I really haven't seen him play much so this is helpful.

agree, whenever i watch him it seems like he's turning a 2-yard loss into a 2-yard gain

if you were starting at flex would you jump at Gabe Davis 1-1 trade?

Tough call as i don't like davis. Given the schedule I would probably lean davis. Pierce going to get you an average of 3pts per week over the next couple of weeks

What's the play in dynasty? Buy low or avoid like the plague?

I was never super high on his long term prospects. He's talented. But it seems like NFL teams are quick to replace RB's taken after the 3rd round. But with his recent performance, feels like the price is way down.

I was never super high on his long term prospects. He's talented. But it seems like NFL teams are quick to replace RB's taken after the 3rd round. But with his recent performance, feels like the price is way down.

I truly don't think the draft stock has anything to do with it and truly mean no offense but hate when I see people try and make it that simple or to use it to justify the position they had him coming out. That draft stock might buy you a little longer leash but this is not that dissimilar to what the Steelers are doing with Najee. Also not for nothing but he was literally two picks from being a third round guy.

Pierce had/has two issues this season.

The OL injuries which everyone knows of course and kind of cruel for Pierce that they started to get healthy right when they decided to move to a timeshare.

His other issue is unfortunately not going away. He's not a good scheme fit for the offense and I really regret not considering this impact sooner. He's a power running back who was drafted last year because the team felt he was a good fit for the power running gap scheme they used. They of course switched to an outside zone scheme and he's just a poor fit now.

Unless he improves in this system I would expect the Texans to get another RB this upcoming off-season and the only way Pierce's value will change will be if they move him with two years left on his deal.

I would not be trying to buy low right now, not on the premise he's going to turn it around this season anyway.

The offensive line is brutally bad at run blocking. Both he and the fullback got stuffed at the 1 on consecutive plays on the TD Stroud finally got on a QB sneak. Both guys were hit by multiple defenders in the backfield and barely got back to the 1 yard line. Didn’t see the earlier drives attempt.

There was the article about problems with Pierce and the line adapting to Slowik’s system. Hopefully things get better but at this point have to worry maybe Pierce and some of the linemen are no longer good fits with the system change and may not be able to adapt. Only good thing this go around was Singletary didn’t look any better.

I am a dynasty owner and I am looking to trade him. I was dead wrong about this guy when I took him 1.3 in the rookie draft last year.

Probably forced to start him this week with 4 starters on bye and I'm trying desperately to find an alternative.

I'm sure I'll bench him...and he falls into the endzone twice.

I am a dynasty owner and I am looking to trade him. I was dead wrong about this guy when I took him 1.3 in the rookie draft last year.

He was the only game in town last year with a struggling HOU offense. Now they have CJ, a stable of RB options and a new OC. Fantasy prospects not bright.

He was the only game in town last year with a struggling HOU offense. Now they have CJ, a stable of RB options and a new OC. Fantasy prospects not bright.

If he was ever going to establish himself as a useful RB asset, last week was supposed to have been that signal. Following a bye week, healthier O-Line, weak opponent…

It’s clear that he’s not special enough to make it happen.

Users who are viewing this thread