What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Dameon Pierce, HOU (1 Viewer)

Texans placed RB Dameon Pierce (ankle) on injured reserve.​

Pierce emerged from Week 14 with an ankle injury, which will ultimately end his season. Only Rex Burkhead and Dare Ogunbowale remain on Houston's depth chart at the position, meaning a game-day practice squad elevation is likely in the books for Week 15. Pierce's rookie season ends with 1,104 yards from scrimmage and five total touchdowns. It appears the Texans found a mainstay at the position in the fourth-round rookie.
Dec 17, 2022, 4:37 PM ET

Burkhead did have one very good game at the end of last year.

Who knows about Ogun. Nothing he has done indicates a worthy pickup. But maybe some dynasty owners would know more.

:shrug:

Is there anyone worth anything here? Burkhead, Freeman?
Added tons of Ogwunwhatever and some Burkhead this week(because he was not as available). Expectations are low and mainly revolve around them getting drummed so badly along with their main WR's injured so they see a lot of dump offs and maybe get super lucky with a goal line plunge.

Between Dare and Burkhead I can't make a confident prediction of which one but I can say that late last week when Pierce went out it did not seem to really change Dare's role. Now Eno was in that game and that might change some things but this franchise/staff has had some strong allegiance to Burkhead so I'd go with him between the two but again I can't say that with some high degree of confidence.

Should keep starting role and Houston not likely to draft a RB high right?
I would be shocked. He played very well in all phases of the game last year, and as many needs as this team has, why would they waste an early pick on a RB to what, MAYBE get slightly better (if that's even possible outside of taking Robinson)
It would shock me as well, but it does happen sometimes. Would be comparable in my eyes to the Jets' picking Breece Hall last year after Michael Carter in 2021.

Should keep starting role and Houston not likely to draft a RB high right?

Signings of Boone & Singletary seems to point to no high pick on a RB, I’d guess maybe a late round guy as potential longer-term depth (both Boone & Singletary are only on a 1 year deals.) A lot of fantasy “experts” seem to think Singletary will force more of a committee…

Would be comparable in my eyes to the Jets' picking Breece Hall last year after Michael Carter in 2021.

Breece Hall is light years better than Carter and they knew it. Nobody but Bijan is light years better than Pierce this year. Gibbs is too complementary a back to be light years ahead. He doesn't run between the tackles well enough to be Hall or Bijan. IMO. It wouldn't be comparable to the situation. It would be comparable only as much as draft capital would be similar.

Would be comparable in my eyes to the Jets' picking Breece Hall last year after Michael Carter in 2021.

Breece Hall is light years better than Carter and they knew it. Nobody but Bijan is light years better than Pierce this year. Gibbs is too complementary a back to be light years ahead. He doesn't run between the tackles well enough to be Hall or Bijan. IMO. It wouldn't be comparable to the situation. It would be comparable only as much as draft capital would be similar.
This is true, I guess I was particularly thinking of Bijan. But that's not at all what OP said, they only said a high RB. So yeah, it would only be similar if it's Bijan, or possibly Gibbs.

Texans running backs coach Danny Barrett said Dameon Pierce has improved his pass blocking this offseason.

Pierce struggled with picking up blitzers through most of his otherwise-impressive rookie campaign. Pro Football Focus graded him as the 128th best pass blocking back in 2022. “He can now see the big picture and can identify things quicker to get to his pickups,” Barrett said. “That’s going to help us out tremendously. When he is in the game, teams think we are going to just run the football. But his ability to pass protect, he understands what is needed in our passing game from him.” It’s a good thing Pierce has shown improvement. The Texans in March signed former Bills RB Devin Singletary, who PFF graded as the league’s fifth best pass-blocking back in 2022. Pierce profiles as a solid mid-round value in what should be an improved Texans offense coached by Kyle Shanahan disciple Bobby Slowik.

pierce seems like a screaming value this year after what he did last year on that mess of a team. finally some stability, what seems to be an improved oline, a new run-friendly offense, and the general improvement a year 2 player often makes (especially in pass pro). seems singletary is depressing pierce's adp atm and i am all for it. love targeting pierce. perfect rb to target after a wr heavy start to draft. even if singletary eats some carries he was never much a receiver out the backfield. i see a pretty safe floor for pierce and if he takes a decent step forward a potential rb1 at reduced cost. imma take that every time i can

I doubt he is sitting in the middle of the 5th Rd in a couple weeks, not sure where he rises but I can see someone taking him on the 3/4 turn that went WR/WR on 1/2 turn, something like that makes sense and pair him with Mattison but at some point you gotta have a couple RBs to wheel out each week, not sure if that's the right answer here but I am an interested party and despite my sheer disbelief in the owner and front offices in Houston, you gotta not have personal bias if you want to compete in redraft.

Hope he is used sparingly if at all in preseason

with the lack of studly RBs of yore, Pierce is a refreshing throwback to the days of 300+ carry RBs who get all the work and all the rushing TDs.
he's a proven commodity, now maybe he can improve on last year's numbers.
but there is no competition for carries in this offense - he's a one man gang

Dameon Pierce played every offensive snap with the Texans’ first-team offense on their first two drives in Saturday’s preseason matchup against the Dolphins.
Pierce won’t be handling 100 percent of the Texans’ backfield snaps in 2023, but his usage in Saturday’s game can’t be ignored. As Establish the Run’s Adam Levitan pointed out after the game, Pierce was in “on about 25 percent of third downs” for the Texans as a rookie but was in on every third down for the Texans on their first two drives. It’s possible this is nothing more than the Texans giving Pierce more work in the preseason, but he’s already locked in as the team’s early-down back. Any additional work on third down and in the passing game would only raise the ceiling of a player who is currently going as a low-end RB2 in fantasy drafts.

32BeatWriters
"Dameon Pierce established himself as one of the team's best players last year... But on Thursday, (he) stressed how he's continuing to work on improving his technique, boring down on the fundamentals, and working to continue improving his chemistry with the offensive line."Pierce: "It's still Year 2 for me, so I have a lot of room to grow. I have a lot more football to play. I have a lot more experience to gain. Preseason's a perfect way to do that in a controlled environment."

The Athletic’s Mike Jones believes the Texans plan on “going with a platoon” at running back this season.

This would go against some of what we saw earlier this preseason when Dameon Pierce handled every-down snaps at various points in games, but that could have been nothing more than practice reps — particularly on third down. The Texans opted to not bring back last year’s third down back, Rex Burkhead, this offseason, and have a bevy of third down snaps up for grabs. Burkhead ranked 12th amongst running backs in third down snaps last season, which stand to be split between Pierce or Devin Singletary this season. Pierce has been a preferred pick by those fading the running back position early in drafts, but could come with some added risk if the split is greater than imagined. He would still project as a top-24 back in PPR leagues, but the hidden upside that’s centered around added snaps and work in the passing game is at risk of being snuffed out.

I got him 2.16 in a 16 team Standard league w/ Double Flex (WR/TE and WR/RB/TE). There's definitely room for a RB1/Top 5 RB type of season but he'll need the Houston Offense to take a step forward and Pierce will need to catch like 50 balls. He was only 30/39 for 165 last season (5.5 YPC), but hopefully the improvements to the Houston O-line and Stroud elevating the passing O can take his game to a new level.

Last edited:
The Athletic’s Mike Jones believes the Texans plan on “going with a platoon” at running back this season.

This would go against some of what we saw earlier this preseason when Dameon Pierce handled every-down snaps at various points in games, but that could have been nothing more than practice reps — particularly on third down. The Texans opted to not bring back last year’s third down back, Rex Burkhead, this offseason, and have a bevy of third down snaps up for grabs. Burkhead ranked 12th amongst running backs in third down snaps last season, which stand to be split between Pierce or Devin Singletary this season. Pierce has been a preferred pick by those fading the running back position early in drafts, but could come with some added risk if the split is greater than imagined. He would still project as a top-24 back in PPR leagues, but the hidden upside that’s centered around added snaps and work in the passing game is at risk of being snuffed out.
Of course we get this news after I finally buy on him in one league.

Gah!
:doh:

Of course we get this news after I finally buy on him in one league.

Gah!
:doh:
Not sure exactly what the news is. Pretty nebulous reporting. So he goes from 90% of touches to 75%? Or from 75% down to 55%? I don’t think this report really even sheds a glimmer of light on expectations.

I'm hoping/expecting for 65-70% of the rushing and at least 50% of the receiving. The critical part will be the receiving as they are likely to be playing from behind a lot.

Feel like this is a hold your nose and start situation. Looking for an alterative but don't have one and it's difficult to sit a 4th round pick in week 1.

Balt rush D is pretty decent and their week 1 historical performance has been blow out city when the spread is this high.

Not optimistic.

Did I hear two OL starters out? That ain’t good if true

Yep, both on IR. Kenyon Green out for the year. Tytus Howard expected back in Week 5 but who knows. Going to be a struggle for the Texans offense.

Actually 3 starters (not sure if Green was a starter anymore though.) Starting a backup 6th rounder at Center as Juice Scruggs was put on IR for at least 4 weeks as well.

To be fair, the Texans actually have really good OL depth. Josh Jones and George Fant are the replacements, and they were decent starters in Arizona and New York the last 2 years. Even with these injuries, its probably a better OL than what they had last year, with these guys, and Shaq Mason. Having said that, Baltimore is an awful matchup, and I'd be benching Pierce where I could, however, still very excited about Indy and Jacksonville after that.

To be fair, the Texans actually have really good OL depth. Josh Jones and George Fant are the replacements, and they were decent starters in Arizona and New York the last 2 years. Even with these injuries, its probably a better OL than what they had last year, with these guys, and Shaq Mason. Having said that, Baltimore is an awful matchup, and I'd be benching Pierce where I could, however, still very excited about Indy and Jacksonville after that.
Would you bench for Doubs or Jefferson?

Would you bench for Doubs or Jefferson?
I'd stick with Pierce there. We know he'll at least get 15 touches or so, I can't really say how healthy Doubs is, and Jefferson is a guy, I'd probably never recommend. I'd have low-ish expectations though.

This is going to be a game he'll need those receptions/dumpoffs to hit projections IMHO. That, or punch in a short score.

Dameon Pierce rushed 11 times for 38 yards in the Texans’ Week 1 loss to the Ravens, adding two receptions for nine additional yards.

It was a forgettable day for Pierce, who entered Week 1 with high expectations after a promising rookie season. Pierce’s longest play of the day came on a nine-yard reception, but he averaged a dismal 3.5 yards per carry and was repeatedly stuff by a stout Ravens defense. If there’s one positive to take away from his outing, Pierce out-targeted Devin Singletary 3-0 and could be viewed as the top receiving option out of the backfield. Pierce will look to bounce back in Week 2 against the Colts.

- Rotoworld

Dameon Pierce rushed 11 times for 38 yards in the Texans’ Week 1 loss to the Ravens, adding two receptions for nine additional yards.

It was a forgettable day for Pierce, who entered Week 1 with high expectations after a promising rookie season. Pierce’s longest play of the day came on a nine-yard reception, but he averaged a dismal 3.5 yards per carry and was repeatedly stuff by a stout Ravens defense. If there’s one positive to take away from his outing, Pierce out-targeted Devin Singletary 3-0 and could be viewed as the top receiving option out of the backfield. Pierce will look to bounce back in Week 2 against the Colts.

- Rotoworld

Gotta love Roto and their hot takes. They call Pierce’s 3.5 dismal yet don’t mention Singletary’s 2.1ypc

...why would it matter if roto didn't mention Singletary? "stout Ravens defense". Was Singletary going to tear it up?

Last edited:
Texans were down 4 OL starters last week and our backups are really not good. Howard and Juice are expected back by week 5 and while it likely won’t be a complete turnaround, it’ll certainly be better than what we’ve seen.

Temper expectations the next two games, but hopefully a little more normalcy to what’s been seen after that.

Users who are viewing this thread