What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB De’Von Achane, MIA (10 Viewers)

I'd be selling high on Achane. He's not even the best RB on his own team now.
That’s your opinion, I say he’s a league winner, Jamal Charles was a 12-15 touch guy that won leagues. I will take him early and often and already have.

I hope it works out for you…I dont think it will.

And it's highly unlikely Achane gets 15 touches per game....it's not sustainable if he does.

Last edited:
Ross Tucker Podcast
“The next Chris Johnson is in the range of outcomes…”

@FG_Dolan talks about the potential for Dolphins 2nd year RB De’Von Achane:

Second time in as many days I've seen the CJ2K comp. Other was Evan Silva on JJ's pod.
Style and speed-wise, one can see it, but unfortunately he'll never get the volume CJ2K got. Those workload days are in the past for nearly all guys playing the position.

I picked up Achane last year off waivers and was very happy. I'd like to have him this year too. But.... concerns are can he stay healthy as a little guy. Will he get volume in that 3 headed backfield of burners? I mean there is no reason to run any of them into the ground. I would like to have Achane but not in the first 3 rounds. He could be a league winner. Or a bust. Wide range of outcomes and my first 3 picks I look for a solid floor. Guessing I won't get him.

Dolphin fan here and I am as Shuked as everyone else here. Mosert isn't going anywhere unless injury hits, Achane is crazy from a speed and skill set, but so is Wright, the kid they just drafted. Those three are making the team, but Jonnu Smith is also getting some gadget carries and its honestly going to take an injury to clear up this room. Even if something were to happen to Mosert, I assume Jeff Wilson Jr would still have a roll. Only if Wilson is cut and Chris Brooks stays on the roster do I think it clears a better glide path for Achane.

I'll have some shares of him. He somehow managed to get 800 yards on 103 carries 7.8 YPC. I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.

Production wise, only Jamaal Charles has sniffed that level of efficiency from what I recall. It just means you're making a lot of BIG RUNS. That Dolphins scheme is very good and you only need 8 touches a game to be fantasy relevant when you're a YPC machine like this guy.

Surely he won't sustain 7.8 but even a 5.5 to 6.5 YPC guy and he's going to be super valuable. No clue how Wright fits in, but hard not to see coaches continuing to give this guy opportunity.

Achane could be a top receiving RB. He had 2 for 34 in the last preseason game in the first half. And in today's scrimmage with TB, a wheel route that would've gone for a TD and a GL TD catch from the 2. He has great hands and is a good route runner. Checkout his HS video when he lined up at WR on many plays.

Will he get enough action with many other good options in the passing and running game, including Jonnu and eventually OBJ who weren't there last year? I don't think Wright sees much action early.

I'll have some shares of him. He somehow managed to get 800 yards on 103 carries 7.8 YPC. I can't say I've ever seen anything like that before.

Production wise, only Jamaal Charles has sniffed that level of efficiency from what I recall. It just means you're making a lot of BIG RUNS. That Dolphins scheme is very good and you only need 8 touches a game to be fantasy relevant when you're a YPC machine like this guy.

Surely he won't sustain 7.8 but even a 5.5 to 6.5 YPC guy and he's going to be super valuable. No clue how Wright fits in, but hard not to see coaches continuing to give this guy opportunity.
Do you think a guy getting 6.5 YPC with under 10 carries and no GL can carry a fantasy team?

For my money, if the choice is Achane at Pick 21, Mostert at Pick 80, or Wright at Pick 151, I’d roll the dice on Wright. IMO, there will be multiple games this season when either Mostert or Achane are out, and that would make Wright a fantasy starter. And if one of those two misses significant time, you will get the same top level of production without the price tag of the other two.

I think he absolutely smashes and can be a league winner; he's young, got a great offensive coordinator that schemes really well, among RBs with at least 100 carries, he ranked first in run grade, yards after contact per attempt, EPA per rush, and elusive rating, per PFF. The miami O line was 8th in run block win rate last year and the best part is you don't have to take him at the tippy top of drafts

Do you think a guy getting 6.5 YPC with under 10 carries and no GL can carry a fantasy team?

I think so. He doesn't need GL carries. He had 8 TD last season and I don't believe he was getting GL carries at any point last year (but I am willing to be corrected). His YPC is a product of the fact he is hitting home runs, which is where his TD production will come from.

Dolphin fan here and I am as Shuked as everyone else here. Mosert isn't going anywhere unless injury hits, Achane is crazy from a speed and skill set, but so is Wright, the kid they just drafted. Those three are making the team, but Jonnu Smith is also getting some gadget carries and its honestly going to take an injury to clear up this room. Even if something were to happen to Mosert, I assume Jeff Wilson Jr would still have a roll. Only if Wilson is cut and Chris Brooks stays on the roster do I think it clears a better glide path for Achane.
Mostert is a legit 32 years old. Thats old.
Wright has zero NFL carries.

I don’t think the room is as crowded as people think.

I do have concerns about his size, but if he stays healthy, I think he hits big this year.

Last edited:
That’s your opinion, I say he’s a league winner, Jamal Charles was a 12-15 touch guy that won leagues. I will take him early and often and already have.

And it's highly unlikely Achane gets 15 touches per game....it's not sustainable if he does.
These takes that it can't happen make people miss bigtime when it does. He very well could stay healthy this year and crush. When he was on the field last year he did things no one else has done. The talent is there.

Now that his price has dropped slightly I think it is a mistake to write him off.

Why is he not getting GL carries? He did last year. He also caught some TD passes in the red zone.

For my money, if the choice is Achane at Pick 21, Mostert at Pick 80, or Wright at Pick 151, I’d roll the dice on Wright. IMO, there will be multiple games this season when either Mostert or Achane are out, and that would make Wright a fantasy starter. And if one of those two misses significant time, you will get the same top level of production without the price tag of the other two.
Wright very well could be a steal, especially if Mostert get huts. I see Wright as a guy that can step into Mostert's role which Achane stays in his current role.

These takes that it can't happen make people miss bigtime when it does. He very well could stay healthy this year and crush. When he was on the field last year he did things no one else has done. The talent is there.

Now that his price has dropped slightly I think it is a mistake to write him off.
He also could stay healthy and bust, like he did weeks 14-16 last year, with 60 scoreless yards. That's the risk of a guy who only gets around 10 touches. I suspect he killed a few fantasy playoff teams.

Why is he not getting GL carries? He did last year. He also caught some TD passes in the red zone.
After week 5, Achane's only two GL scores came in a blowout over Wash after Mostert was already pulled. His only receiving TD after week 3 came late in a blowout loss to Baltimore,

Nothing stopping someone from drafting all 3.

My personal opinion is Wright doesn't have a role unless someone gets hurt. But he's a high-upside stash. Though I think he has FAR less upside than Achane if Achane is the one that goes down. Might have less than Mostert too, as Mostert has been an efficiency outlier for most of his career.

Not mentioned so far is the fact that Achane had 250+ yards and 6 TD in garbage time in blowouts last year. Most of that came in a win by 50 points against DEN and a 30-point win against WAS. Mostert was essentially done for the day and MIA was just killing the clock in the second half. (He had limited 4th quarter work against NYJ and BAL as well.) IMO, this stuff matters. Achane only had 5 TD in situations where the game was in doubt. When it mattered, Mostert was in when the game was on the line, and he was their bell cow.

I get it, fantasy doesn't differentiate or discriminate when fantasy production occurs, but if the games were closer and all we saw at the end of the year was a total of 750 YFS and 5 TD, people would be looking at Achane as a backup / handcuff with upside and not the second coming of Marshall Tomlinson.

Digging deeper . . . The most carries Achane got last year came in 3 games: 19 vs. DEN (a 50-point win), 17 vs. WAS (a 30-point win), and 14 against BAL (a 37-point loss). He only had two other games with 10 or more carries: 11 against NYG and 10 against BUF. Including the playoffs, he had 7 games with single digit carries, in which he scored:

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

At those point, the ASSUMPTION is that Achane is going to now become an equal to Mostert (or potentially overtake him), but last year there was no indication that that was the direction things were headed. As I posted in detail earlier, McDaniel's history or RB usage is not to rely on one back unless there were multiple injuries in the RB group. IMO, if Mostert did get hurt, I am not sure that Achane would get a ton more carries, as I believe Wright (or others) would step in to fill the void. I don't think we see Achane having many games with 15 carries.

Last edited:
Ryan Heath
De'Von Achane just had the most efficient rookie season ever, and could well be the next Alvin Kamara.

Among rookie RBs drafted Rounds 1-3 who outperformed their weighted opportunity by +2.5 PPG or more:

- 5/5 had a volume increase in Year 2

- 4/5 topped 20 PPG in Year 2

2024-05-12

Not mentioned so far is the fact that Achane had 250+ yards and 6 TD in garbage time in blowouts last year. Most of that came in a win by 50 points against DEN and a 30-point win against WAS. Mostert was essentially done for the day and MIA was just killing the clock in the second half. (He had limited 4th quarter work against NYJ and BAL as well.) IMO, this stuff matters. Achane only had 5 TD in situations where the game was in doubt. When it mattered, Mostert was in when the game was on the line, and he was their bell cow.

I get it, fantasy doesn't differentiate or discriminate when fantasy production occurs, but if the games were closer and all we saw at the end of the year was a total of 750 YFS and 5 TD, people would be looking at Achane as a backup / handcuff with upside and not the second coming of Marshall Tomlinson.

Digging deeper . . . The most carries Achane got last year came in 3 games: 19 vs. DEN (a 50-point win), 17 vs. WAS (a 30-point win), and 14 against BAL (a 37-point loss). He only had two other games with 10 or more carries: 11 against NYG and 10 against BUF. Including the playoffs, he had 7 games with single digit carries, in which he scored:

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

At those point, the ASSUMPTION is that Achane is going to now become an equal to Mostert (or potentially overtake him), but last year there was no indication that that was the direction things were headed. As I posted in detail earlier, McDaniel's history or RB usage is not to rely on one back unless there were multiple injuries in the RB group. IMO, if Mostert did get hurt, I am not sure that Achane would get a ton more carries, as I believe Wright (or others) would step in to fill the void. I don't think we see Achane having many games with 15 carries.
There have been 13 rbs to rush for 1,000 at age 31... There have only been 6 rbs to do it at 32. The avg of the 13 31yr old Rb's was 1280; The avg of the 6 32yr old Rb's was 1103

That's a 14% drop-off in yards and only half the 1,000yd rushers. At 33, only 4 people have cracked 800 and the list is bleak

Not to mention the box will never be stacked for Achane either; In fact, just 11.7% of Achane’s carries came against stacked boxes (7-plus defenders), the eighth-lowest rate in the league. On Mostert's side is the fact that he gets the GL work. ranking second in the NFL with 12 goal line carries. His 19 carries inside the 5-yard line were also tied for the most in football, while Achane saw just one goal-line carry and four inside the 5-yard line. Of course when you score from 20 yards out each time, you don't need that. I also get that 7.8 ypc isn't sustainable at all but even you dropped it to 5.5(or Taylor's 5.45 in 2021), that's still obviously very good.

Ryan Heath
De'Von Achane just had the most efficient rookie season ever, and could well be the next Alvin Kamara.

Among rookie RBs drafted Rounds 1-3 who outperformed their weighted opportunity by +2.5 PPG or more:

- 5/5 had a volume increase in Year 2

- 4/5 topped 20 PPG in Year 2

2024-05-12
Allow me to retort . . . None of the backs mentioned bear much resemblance to the situation in MIA.

Kamara had 201 touches/1554 YFS/13 TD as a rookie.The following season, Mark Ingram was suspended to start the season. Kamara saw 275 touches / 1592 YFS / 18 TD. I don't think many people see Achane getting 80+ receptions, which is what Kamara has been known for throughout his career.

Zeke had a huge workload as a rookie (elevated by an injury to McFadden that cost him almost the entire season). Elliott posted 354 touches / 1994 YFS / 16 TD as a rookie, but those totals dipped to 268 touches / 1252 YFS / 9 TD as a sophomore.

David Johnson saw Chris Johnson suffer a season ending injury early in his second season. David had 161 touches / 1038 YFS / 12 TD as a rookie, which skyrocketed to 373 touches / 2118 YFS / 20 TD in his followup campaign without Chris.

Jonathan Taylor saw a heavy workload as a rookie . . . 268 touches / 1468 YFS / 12 TD. The following season, he became a bell cow and a half with 372 touches / 2171 YFS / 20 TD.

Gurley played a big role in his rookie season as well, earning 250 touches / 1294 YFS / 10 TD. His totals slid the following year even with a lot more touches . . . 321 touches / 1212 YFS / 6 TD.

As I see things, the take away for these players is they were all heavy workload guys that benefited even more by an injury to another primary back or by already being the main back and having hardly any competition for carries. Look at the Year 2 totals for those guys . . . 275, 354, 373, 372, and 321 touches. Anything is possible, but I don't see Achane coming anywhere close to that workload.

Also, those other guys were intended to be centerpieces or a huge cog of the backfield for those teams. MIA still has Mostert (who they used MORE as the season progressed last year, not less), still have Wilson (who had a season with 1000+ YFS, owns a 4.5 career ypc, and had a season with 10 TD), as well as having just drafted Wright. And as already outlined multiple times, McDaniel usually has a 2 or 3 main RB rotation (in addition to MIA having one of the most productive fantasy seasons ever for a RB group and should be in line for some significant regression). Considering the extreme outlier production for Achane, what should still see a limited workload, and what should be a more usual ypc, and I think Achane will have a solid second season. But unless things go a lot differently than I expect them to, I see a ranking in the RB15-17 range (if he stays mostly healthy). Given that his ADP has been in the RB8 or RB9 range, I am not sure I love that from a guy that could very easily not even be the lead back on his team.

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

150/750/8TDs plus 52/420/4TDs

200 touches for about 1,200 yds and 12 TDs, 52 catches, don't think that is outlandish and all predicated on Achane being able to start or suit up healthy for 15-16 games.
What have you got?

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

200 touches for about 1,200 yds and 12 TDs, 52 catches, don't think that is outlandish and all predicated on Achane being able to start or suit up healthy for 15-16 games.
What have you got?
As this is just a slice of the MIA RB pie, it would be hard to fully comment without projections for the other MIA backs. The reason I say that is the sum of the parts may make the total team projection too high. But what you posted probably isn't unreasonable. That being said, once Achane returned from injury, in his last 6 regular season games and the playoff game, he put up 70-348-4.97-3 with 20-147-7.35-1. We all can play with the numbers however we want, but IMO, that's a more likely baseline to start with than working off his crazy bender he went on early in the season. I think teams adjusted their defense accordingly after that, and as I mentioned earlier, he put up a lot of empty calories in blowouts in garbage time.

Over those last 7 games, Achane totaled 93.5 fantasy points in PPR leagues, averaging 10 carries, 2.86 receptions, and 13.35 ppg. On a per game basis, that scoring average would have ranked as RB21 last season and a fraction of a point from RB23. Give him more touches, that will go up. Give him more efficiency, that will go up. Give him a lingering injury, that might go down. Obviously in the total points scored rankings, missing several games could cause a big drop off in his final ranking.

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

What have you got?
As this is just a slice of the MIA RB pie, it would be hard to fully comment without projections for the other MIA backs. The reason I say that is the sum of the parts may make the total team projection too high. But what you posted probably isn't unreasonable. That being said, once Achane returned from injury, in his last 6 regular season games and the playoff game, he put up 70-348-4.97-3 with 20-147-7.35-1. We all can play with the numbers however we want, but IMO, that's a more likely baseline to start with than working off his crazy bender he went on early in the season. I think teams adjusted their defense accordingly after that, and as I mentioned earlier, he put up a lot of empty calories in blowouts in garbage time.

Over those last 7 games, Achane totaled 93.5 fantasy points in PPR leagues, averaging 10 carries, 2.86 receptions, and 13.35 ppg. On a per game basis, that scoring average would have ranked as RB21 last season and a fraction of a point from RB23. Give him more touches, that will go up. Give him more efficiency, that will go up. Give him a lingering injury, that might go down. Obviously in the total points scored rankings, missing several games could cause a big drop off in his final ranking.
The Ice Bowl in KC might be bringing down some of your score there.
About 500 yds and 5 TD with 15+ catches in 6 games...
I projected 1200/12TD, we're not that far off from each other, I moved his yds per carry down a lot from almost 8 to 5 yds

And what if he does get some more empty calories? Miami schedule isn't that tough
His ADP is running about 25th overall right now, with a Wright handcuff late, he's a decent gamble in the Mid 3rd of a 10 team league, RB2 with a lot of upside
Mostert in the 7th or 8th and Wright handcuff works as well but I do think Mostert is winding down. He generally is going to see 180-200 carries max and now with Wright, they won't over use Mostert and that could lead to a lot of GMs not knowing who to start or when to start

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

What have you got?

I projected 1200/12TD, we're not that far off from each other, I moved his yds per carry down a lot from almost 8 to 5 yds

And what if he does get some more empty calories? Miami schedule isn't that tough
His ADP is running about 25th overall right now, with a Wright handcuff late, he's a decent gamble in the Mid 3rd of a 10 team league, RB2 with a lot of upside
Mostert in the 7th or 8th and Wright handcuff works as well but I do think Mostert is winding down. He generally is going to see 180-200 carries max and now with Wright, they won't over use Mostert and that could lead to a lot of GMs not knowing who to start or when to start
This is why I think Wright is the play here. If Mostert is out, IMO, that helps Wright way more than it helps Achane. If Achane is out, it helps Wright way more than it helps Mostert. Ostensibly, Achane didn't play in 7 games last year and Mostert missed 2. In that scenario, as far as I am concerned, Wright would have had a large enough role in 9 games if he was around last year. I know predicting injuries is both hard to do and hard to rely on, but the thought of having Wright for half a season as a fantasy starter (in theory) is worth more than having to take Achane too early for my blood . . . and Mostert is old for top tier RB production (ie, probably won't have a repeat in workload from last year . . . having that many TD again is a pipe dream).

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

What have you got?

This is why I think Wright is the play here. If Mostert is out, IMO, that helps Wright way more than it helps Achane. If Achane is out, it helps Wright way more than it helps Mostert. Ostensibly, Achane didn't play in 7 games last year and Mostert missed 2. In that scenario, as far as I am concerned, Wright would have had a large enough role in 9 games if he was around last year. I know predicting injuries is both hard to do and hard to rely on, but the thought of having Wright for half a season as a fantasy starter (in theory) is worth more than having to take Achane too early for my blood . . . and Mostert is old for top tier RB production (ie, probably won't have a repeat in workload from last year . . . having that many TD again is a pipe dream).
Fully agree with this thought process. In addition, while Mostert has been pretty healthy the past two years, his durability the previous 5-6 years wasn’t good, despite a fairly light workload.

Wright is essentially free in 12 team redraft

Mostert has a little helium underneath him this week, but even still, getting last year’s RB3 at RB21-23 doesn’t feel like overpaying

Wright is essentially free in 12 team redraft

Mostert has a little helium underneath him this week, but even still, getting last year’s RB3 at RB21-23 doesn’t feel like overpaying
I got Mostert round 6 and then Wright round 11 in a recent 12 team nonppr league. Felt like once I got Mostert, I had to beat the Achane owner to him. I feel pretty good about the combo.

Digging deep . . . like REALLY deep. Here are some other rookie RBs that had limited usage but high fantasy production . . . (total touches, YFS, TD). Fantasy ranking in 0 PPR leagues. All of them averaged 0.85 fantasy points per touch or better.

Jon Keyworth, DEN, 1974: 93/483/10 (RB22)
Jon Keyworth, DEN, 1975: 224/1039/4 (RB18)

Bo Jackson, LAR, 1987: 97/690/6 (RB27)
Bo Jackson, LAR, 1988: 145/659/3 (RB47)

Ron Davenport, MIA, 1985: 111/444/13 (RB34)
Ron Davenport, MIA, 1986: 95/491/1 (RB70)

Karlos Williams, BUF, 2015: 104/613/9 (RB31)
(Never played another game in the league)

Stan Fritts, CIN, 1975: 100/438/10 (RB31)
Stan Fritts, CIN, 1976: 56/275/3 (RB81)

David Sims, SEA, 1977: 111/545/8 (RB31)
David Sims, SEA, 1978: 204/947/15 (RB9)

Jim Bertelsen, LAR, 1972: 152/912/6 (RB24)
Jim Bertelsen, LAR, 1973: 225/1121/5 (RB15)

Billy Jackson, KCC, 1981: 117/429/11 (RB34)
Billy Jackson, KCC, 1982: 91/284/3 (RB40) (Strike year)

Tim Spencer, SDG, 1985: 135/613/10 (RB35)
Tim Spencer, SDG, 1986: 105/398/6 (RB49)

Onterrio Smith, MIN, 2003: 122/708/5 (RB37)
Onterrio Smith, MIN, 2004: 160/938/4 (RB31)

Darren McFadden, OAK, 2008: 142/784/4 (RB44)
Darren McFadden, OAK, 2009: 125/602/1 (RB56)

Rodney Culver, IND, 1992: 147/531/9 (RB28)
Rodney Culver, IND, 1993: 76/262/4 (RB65)

Kevan Barlow, SFO, 2001: 147/759/5 (RB30)
Kevan Barlow, SFO, 2002: 159/811/5 (RB35)

None of these guys were Achane, as he was a statistical unicorn last season, but they all scored a lot of fantasy points on limited touches. Many of them were TD heavy, and that's one of the challenges . . . predicting TDs with an expected larger workload. The game is way different now than the eras that these backs played, but of these historical examples, only one of them ended up in the Top 10 RBs the following season. This is for illustrative purposes only . . . ie, just trying to find examples of other backs that remotely fit in the box that Achane was in last year.

Personally I want nothing to do with Achane. His production last season is not sustainable imo. Plus he's a major injury risk.

I can't wait to check back on this thread by week 8 or so.... I predict a lot of "well, it was always based on him staying healthy" from either camp based on outcome. It would be refreshing to see a few "well I was completely wrong"'s.

I, for one, am still kinda shocked to see anyone making a case right now against Achane that isn't solely based on his health. Especially using shoddy math including 2 games where he had one rushing attempt towards misleading averages. What he did last season is incomparable and that's basically the end of the story. Seems frivilous to try to project that into actual numbers for this season as anyone can project him into having a complete whiff or the best season ever by a RB in fantasy.

Praying he makes it back to me at pick 22-24 in my leagues where I'm picking early in the 1st. He's someone I'd rather lose 100 leagues with on my roster than even 1 league without him on my roster; especially knowing how cheap I can fill out the rest of my RB room this year in particular with guys like Connor, Harris, Spears, Robinson, etc. I'll gladly eat 5-6 weeks of 7-10 points for those weeks he drops 25+ and wins your matchup. Only one other RB in the league with that upside, and he's typically going 1.01.

I keep trying to trade him in dynasty and there are no takers...most everyone sees the risk here
I’ve been offered Achane in my one keeper league but the guy wants Chase in return. I countered with waddle or Garrett Wilson and he said those guys weren’t enough to give Achane up so we are at an impasse. I’m in on him but not for Chase

I keep trying to trade him in dynasty and there are no takers...most everyone sees the risk here
I’ve been offered Achane in my one keeper league but the guy wants Chase in return. I countered with waddle or Garrett Wilson and he said those guys weren’t enough to give Achane up so we are at an impasse. I’m in on him but not for Chase
I think Garrett Wilson is MORE than fair, and I obviously like Achane. TBH, think Achane side would have to balance a bit with a mid round pick.

The problem is owners are already pricing in him turning in a top 5 RB season. As much as I think that's his upside, I don't think it's fair to price him that way. That's why he's currently going late 2nd through the early/mid 3rd in drafts. Dynasty gives him a slight bump in value, but not enough to be asking for Chase or any higher than a single high-mid 2025 1st. I'm guessing (based on my dynasty leagues) owners are asking for a 1st round pick ++.

I think Achanes value isn't as a set and forget RB1 with a super high floor, like most other top RB1s right now. I think it's the fact we play ~13 game fantasy seasons, and his ability to singlehandedly win you even just one or two of those weeks with a points explosion is worth its weight in championships. Getting to the playoffs is hard, winning is luck (largely IMO in standard settings leagues). The difference in 7-6 and 9-4 can not only be a spot in the playoffs, but a much better seed and path to the championship. I think there's only a small handful of players who can do that for your team in the whole league, and I think he's by far the cheapest of them to acquire (obviously and fairly priced that way because of his increased risk). And a roster should really be built in a way with better RB depth to CYA in case of injury, and/or have the option to bench him in a potential bad matchup in favor of a high floor guy when you know you just need your 15pts.

Last edited:
Digging deep . . . like REALLY deep. Here are some other rookie RBs that had limited usage but high fantasy production . . . (total touches, YFS, TD). Fantasy ranking in 0 PPR leagues. All of them averaged 0.85 fantasy points per touch or better.

Jon Keyworth, DEN, 1974: 93/483/10 (RB22)
Jon Keyworth, DEN, 1975: 224/1039/4 (RB18)

Bo Jackson, LAR, 1987: 97/690/6 (RB27)
Bo Jackson, LAR, 1988: 145/659/3 (RB47)

Ron Davenport, MIA, 1985: 111/444/13 (RB34)
Ron Davenport, MIA, 1986: 95/491/1 (RB70)

Karlos Williams, BUF, 2015: 104/613/9 (RB31)
(Never played another game in the league)

Stan Fritts, CIN, 1975: 100/438/10 (RB31)
Stan Fritts, CIN, 1976: 56/275/3 (RB81)

David Sims, SEA, 1977: 111/545/8 (RB31)
David Sims, SEA, 1978: 204/947/15 (RB9)

Jim Bertelsen, LAR, 1972: 152/912/6 (RB24)
Jim Bertelsen, LAR, 1973: 225/1121/5 (RB15)

Billy Jackson, KCC, 1981: 117/429/11 (RB34)
Billy Jackson, KCC, 1982: 91/284/3 (RB40) (Strike year)

Tim Spencer, SDG, 1985: 135/613/10 (RB35)
Tim Spencer, SDG, 1986: 105/398/6 (RB49)

Onterrio Smith, MIN, 2003: 122/708/5 (RB37)
Onterrio Smith, MIN, 2004: 160/938/4 (RB31)

Darren McFadden, OAK, 2008: 142/784/4 (RB44)
Darren McFadden, OAK, 2009: 125/602/1 (RB56)

Rodney Culver, IND, 1992: 147/531/9 (RB28)
Rodney Culver, IND, 1993: 76/262/4 (RB65)

Kevan Barlow, SFO, 2001: 147/759/5 (RB30)
Kevan Barlow, SFO, 2002: 159/811/5 (RB35)

None of these guys were Achane, as he was a statistical unicorn last season, but they all scored a lot of fantasy points on limited touches. Many of them were TD heavy, and that's one of the challenges . . . predicting TDs with an expected larger workload. The game is way different now than the eras that these backs played, but of these historical examples, only one of them ended up in the Top 10 RBs the following season. This is for illustrative purposes only . . . ie, just trying to find examples of other backs that remotely fit in the box that Achane was in last year.
Which ones were clocked at 4.31 in the 40?
I know Ron Davenport wasn't
I know Bo Jackson was fast, two sport athlete never seemed fully committed to the NFL, then a freak injury and he was done with football

I appreciate the effort you put into your posts on here, always interesting what we might learn

Lots of fear in here all of a sudden, and I love it. Achane is a potential league winner and as they say, scared money don't make money.

Sure, we can argue about floor versus upside all we want but the reality of it all is that he's coming off the board in the RB8-12 range. If you knew he was going to get 50% of the carries and was a bit healthier last season, he's be getting drafted in the RB2-5 range. What he did last season in spurts was nothing short of amazing.

I play to win the game and Achane is the perfect upside play. You're getting a great discount here because of RM's history and DA's rookie year health issues. Achane has been running against big boys his entire career, he's been fine. He absolutely torched NFL defenses last season and he's had a year for his body to mature and really get up to speed. I have to chalk his health issues up as an anomaly for now. If things break right for the kid, he has the potential to finish as RB1. Not an RB1, THE RB1. And I can get that upside for the price of a low end RB1 high end RB2? Yes please.

I search out guys like this in my draft. I try to fill about 70% of my roster with them. I only need 2-3 to really hit and I'm back contending for a title. It's a tried and true strategy for me, but you have to do your research and you have to be really confident in your low floor consistent guys you're sprinkling in with your upside plays.

I have nothing to back this up, but I'd venture a guess risk takers do much better than risk averse players over time in this game.

You can't be afraid to lose if you want to win.

De'Von Achane :drive:

NEP - 2.9
BUF - 27.0
LVR - 1.5
TEN - 12.1
NYJ - 9.2
DAL - 4.1
KCC - 6.0

Mostert is 32. The end comes quickly in the night for guys this age. It's just the reality of the game, and usually the cliff is a lot steeper than anyone cares to admit. Mostert's already beaten the odds by doing what he's done at his age, but with each year those odds become even longer to beat again. I wish all the best to the guy, I actually think a productive Mostert is good for DA, but father time is undefeated. And color me unimpressed with Wright as more than a gadget guy for now. DA gives me Chris Johnson vibes. Wright has more of a Jerious Norwood feel to him. I'll be monitoring him for sure, but I'll be spending my handcuff money elsewhere.

Users who are viewing this thread