What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devon Achane, MIA (1 Viewer)

Taking Achane at 6 is poor use of value. Just sayin.
Trade down
If he's a target you sure can't move much though. He's gone in 8 drafts of mine since yesterday and he went 7 in two of them, at pick 9 in four of them and then 11 and 12 in two. If I believed he was getting 13-14 carries and 3--4 receptions I'd not be fooling with moving past 7.
In my two, he went 10 and 13.
Sure you might miss him, but don't get married to a guy. Get value. Just how I roll

He's gone in 8 drafts of mine since yesterday and he went 7 in two of them, at pick 9 in four of them and then 11 and 12 in two.

Thanks for the heads up.

And really, like you said, if he gets 12 carries per game and 3-4 reception opportunities, there's no need to risk letting him fall past you at 1.06.

But that point is likely moot because I don't think anybody but our esteemed travdogg thinks that's his average touches per game.

Sure you might miss him, but don't get married to a guy. Get value. Just how I roll

Yeah, but you've got to read tea leaves and see trends.

IF you think he's getting all those touches THEN it behooves you to take him there.

(Again, though, he's not getting those touches)

He's gone in 8 drafts of mine since yesterday and he went 7 in two of them, at pick 9 in four of them and then 11 and 12 in two.

Thanks for the heads up.

And really, like you said, if he gets 12 carries per game and 3-4 reception opportunities, there's no need to risk letting him fall past you at 1.06.

But that point is likely moot because I don't think anybody but our esteemed travdogg thinks that's his average touches per game.
Yes, that's the key. If that's what you really think why mess around with a little value?

Fwiw it's not what I think and I did not draft him. Not against him in any way, just did not work out. I'd also add that some of the people who took him at 7 are some pretty accomplished fantasy players, so again not sneezing at spending that draft capital on him if you are feeling good about him.

I'd rank him as the #3 rookie RB for redraft though and feel he has more separation from the pack of rookie RB's after Gibbs in redraft, but then that's not what anyone really cares about right now.

Yeah, but you've got to read tea leaves and see trends.

IF you think he's getting all those touches THEN it behooves you to take him there.

(Again, though, he's not getting those touches)
I don't approach it that way.
If a guy is going say pick 15 most of the time, I'm not gonna take him at 7 just cause I think he's a stud. I'm gonna use trading and value and try to get him later than 7. If I miss so be it.

I only have two drafts going right now but those results and what I’m seeing online, nobody seems interested in trading up. Lots of people seem interested in trading down. Good luck finding a partner.

Anytime things skew so hard one direction, it’s probably an opportunity. You need a plan and patience for whomever you take but I continue to think this draft presents more opportunity than it’s being given credit for.

No idea where to rank Archane, such a weird tier of RBs after the top 2. I have 1.12 in a draft starting tomorrow and am hoping he's gone by the time it gets to me. Or maybe I'm just saying that cause I know a couple of leaguemates frequent this board. Maybe I adore Archane with all my heart. Or maybe I think he's a complete waste of a pick. Or maybe

If a guy is going say pick 15 most of the time, I'm not gonna take him at 7 just cause I think he's a stud

I'd agree with you about the 15/7 thing but not the 11/7, if that makes any sense. I think getting cute and dropping three positions isn't enough because you're not getting the value in return you might get by just selecting the player.

But I get your general sentiment. I was strictly thinking moving down those few spots doesn't give you the return value (player or pick) that you'd get by getting your guy should you believe he's definitely going to be a stud.

No reason at all to think Achane isn't better than Swift anyway

The point of the article was that they were still on the prowl for running backs even after drafting Achane.

That article gives me a ton of pause.
Could just as easily argue that article is more about Mostert/Wilson, and that if nobody else is added we are all underestimating the ease in which Achane will be the #1.

Greetings Faust, wanted to share what i wrote from the previous page that lines up with this story you linked here

"But that's where I see Achane, part of a 2-Back rotation and honestly the 2nd RB isn't on the Miami roster right now. I'm talking '24 because I feel Mostert will either retire and move on at 32 and Jeff Wilson can easily be replaced in the Draft next year."

-Miami has been linked pretty hard with Cook who still may see his release when we get past June 1st.
-The Dolphins lose very little if Mostert-Wilson-Gaskin-Ahmed don't make the team, that's the same 4 from last year and Miami constantly is linked to other RBs. At the least they continue to try and upgrade the position even using the few draft resources they had to try and expand the role of the running game in this offense.
-What if God forbid the OL in Miami starts to look like a complete unit? Liam Eichenberg rates poorly on PFF but when I watched him prior to his injury last year, thought I saw a guy starting to find his way. Austin Jackson is going to be asked to start again at Right Tackle, I question his commitment to the sport more so than Liam. Miami also has signed a. lot of UDFA and with their 7th Rd pick, they brought in both starting Tackles on the Michigan Wolverines OL from last year, just FYI. Some new coaches and faces and leaders in the locker room, you never know what could happen if Miami learns the McDaniel playbook better in Year 2.

Aside from all that, I think Achane will be paired with another RB that is more ideal in the Red Zone and I expect the Achane TDs to be from longer range which i believe he will find in this offense. When will defenses have the luxury of focusing on him or shutting down the run with the electric passing game Miami has installed? And that was just Year 1, Coach MM is relatively new. Miami brought in Fangio for 3 yrs and made him the highest paid asst coach, I see some short fields for the Miami Offense and come 2nd Half, the Phins are going to want to run the ball and run out the clock.

We've seen this before. He's Matt breida 2.0. A little faster (4.32 vs 4.38) and a little smaller (breida was 195). Same offense. Similar surrounding talent. Had some awesome weeks but was never great for full seasons. I like his talent and thought Miami was the perfect fit but pump the brakes.

i can see achane having monster fantasy games. I expect him to have a strong September/ October. I can even see him having a good full season if there's a perfect storm. But not only is he small, almost any kind of injury will take away his speed. So you're probably looking at a guy who gets worse as the season goes on.

He'll never grind down the opposing defense and you won't see many games where he gets 20 carries so you can't really play matchups. You just have to play him every week unless you have a better option, like a speed wr. And if he's your top backup rb, you're doing it wrong, because he's not the kind of guy you want to rely on if one of your starters gets hurt.

He's not really a great asset for a contender unless you have some young rbs who will take over later in the year. He's not great for a rebuild because he's good enough to win some games. He's a good late round pick in redraft, a great dfs tournament play, and a great best ball play.

There will be excited dynasty owners crowing about drafting him early after he has a few big games, which he will. That is your signal to sell.

Matt Brieda was an undrafted rookie from Georgia Southern. Achane was a 3rd round selection from Texas A&M who played in the SEC versus future NFL defensive players from Alabama, LSU, UF, Auburn, the MS schools. Archane has receiving chops and good vision & balance. Not a good comp.
By that logic, isn't comping him to 12th overall pick Warrick Dunn a bad comp?

I previously said Achane was Breida plus in this offense, I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Breida's main thing keeping him from a full workload in SF was he was always dinged up.

Achane was a 3rd round selection from Texas A&M who played in the SEC versus future NFL defensive players from Alabama, LSU, UF, Auburn, the MS schools.
versus a small handful of NFL players - people act like every SEC school is fully stacked full of future pros (when it isn't even really true for teams like Georgia and Alabama let alone Kentucky and Vanderbilt). In the NFL, every team is stacked with 100% NFL players.

That doesn't mean Achane can't be successful in the NFL, I just hate the "SEC defense = NFL defenses" argument.

I just hate the "SEC defense = NFL defenses" argument.

I've hated it since before I knew what I was doing. I still don't know what I'm doing, but I'm not as egregiously bad. This was the Clyde Edwards Helaire argument.

"He torched Alabama! Did you see his tape against the SEC???!!!!"

Anyway, just by way of saying that Pepperidge Farm remembers. They sure do.

I previously said Achane was Breida plus in this offense, I don't see it as a bad thing at all. Breida's main thing keeping him from a full workload in SF was he was always dinged up.
Good points. Achane is much closer to Dunn than to Brieda, who couldn't beat out 7th rounder Gaskin and UDFA Ahmed in 2020. It's unlikely Achane will be Dunn, but likely he leads Miami in all purpose yards in 2023.

Matt Brieda was an undrafted rookie from Georgia Southern. Achane was a 3rd round selection from Texas A&M who played in the SEC versus future NFL defensive players from Alabama, LSU, UF, Auburn, the MS schools. Archane has receiving chops and good vision & balance. Not a good comp.
Pick any running back from the Shanahan offenses of the last several years. Small fast guys who get run into the ground. I agree that he's better than breida but breida was 10 lbs heavier and still couldn't stay healthy.

There's a huge range of possibilities with better production and better health than breida that don't end up being as good as Dunn. You should always be careful predicting an outlier.

If you want to project him realistically, ask yourself some questions.

Would you want Miami to run him 20 times in a game? Would you want them to do it often? I want new Orleans to run kendre miller 20 times in a game. That sounds great to me.

If he gets hurt (not injured) and loses some of his speed, can he still be an effective rb1?

Do you think he will avoid getting dinged up over a 17 game regular season? What are the odds that that happens in any given season? What are the odds that it happens more than one season in his career?

Pick any running back from the Shanahan offenses of the last several years. Small fast guys who get run into the ground. I agree that he's better than breida but breida was 10 lbs heavier and still couldn't stay healthy.

There's a huge range of possibilities with better production and better health than breida that don't end up being as good as Dunn. You should always be careful predicting an outlier.

If you want to project him realistically, ask yourself some questions.

Would you want Miami to run him 20 times in a game? Would you want them to do it often? I want new Orleans to run kendre miller 20 times in a game. That sounds great to me.

If he gets hurt (not injured) and loses some of his speed, can he still be an effective rb1?

Do you think he will avoid getting dinged up over a 17 game regular season? What are the odds that that happens in any given season? What are the odds that it happens more than one season in his career?
I thought RB size was not a good predictor of injury risk. My biggest concern is pass protection, especially on blitzes. Achane is a "willing" blocker, but his size is an issue. I'm predicting 8-10 runs, 2-3 catches, and 1-2 KORs per game in 2023. Warrick Dunn light in the era with RBBC is not bad.

Yes and No
Warrick Dunn would not go 12th overall in 2023, think that was 1997/98 when the Bucs took him and they had no QB(Dilfer), not much at the receiving skill positions either which is why Dunn racked up so many catches when he first arrived and he split duties with Alstott much of the time.
Achane not likely to replicate Dunn's numbers but he's going to explode certain weeks, this is a weapon Miami has not had at RB in some time...Kenyan Drake and Reggie Bush had a moment or two here in Miami, I think Achane can do a lot more.
3rd Q, Miami is up 21-10, 3rd and 3, they run the draw w/Achance vs the usual pass play and they rip a chunk off the defense for a first down.
Also feel Achance will open up screens and the short game that were missing a lot last year.

5-6 strong games where you'll love having him in the Flex, or part of your RB2 committee that you tend to rotate or don't go with the same guy every week.
Achane will also post some 5/15 days where he just isn't a big part of the game plan or Miami didn't need much from their running attack, or scrubs in the 4th.
Achane is no scrub, IMHO

Yes and No
Warrick Dunn would not go 12th overall in 2023, think that was 1997/98 when the Bucs took him and they had no QB(Dilfer), not much at the receiving skill positions either which is why Dunn racked up so many catches when he first arrived and he split duties with Alstott much of the time.
Agreed he wouldn't go 12 now. I was just pointing out the issue with dismissing Breida as a comp for going undrafted out of Georgia Southern (?) And then saying Dunn is his comp. Where would Breida have been drafted if he came out of TAM this year?

Prospect comps don't mean player career arc comps. I don't really have an issue with either comp just considering them as prospects.

I think a rookie version of Breida in this offense is someone I'm pretty OK using a later 1st on. He pretty consistently got 10-15 carries and 45-65% snaps throughout 2018-19. His problem was he kept leaving games in the 1st quarter over that span.

Yes and No
Agreed he wouldn't go 12 now. I was just pointing out the issue with dismissing Breida as a comp for going undrafted out of Georgia Southern (?) And then saying Dunn is his comp. Where would Breida have been drafted if he came out of TAM this year?

Prospect comps don't mean player career arc comps. I don't really have an issue with either comp just considering them as prospects.

I think a rookie version of Breida in this offense is someone I'm pretty OK using a later 1st on. He pretty consistently got 10-15 carries and 45-65% snaps throughout 2018-19. His problem was he kept leaving games in the 1st quarter over that span.
Thanks for posting back
I haven't done much in the way of projections yet, not sure where I'm at.
Mostert 181 carries
Jeff Wilson 84 carries, 8 games
Chase Edmonds-42 carries, 8 games was traded, Miami gave him $6-$8M before he was traded to Denver
Ahmed 12 carries, Gaskin 10

I don't see anyone on the roster currently with Achane's skill set and furthermore the 2 guys who had the most touches are injury prone.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MostRa00.htm Career numbers for anyone that wants to look, even when he is full speed he's not that scary
Jeff Wilson had an opp to seize control last season when he came over from SF and did not.
Achane avg 20 carries a game in 2022 for A&M in the SEC
I see a lot more than a handful of gadget plays

Yes and No

Thanks for posting back
Mostert 181 carries
Chase Edmonds-42 carries, 8 games was traded, Miami gave him $6-$8M before he was traded to Denver

I don't see anyone on the roster currently with Achane's skill set and furthermore the 2 guys who had the most touches are injury prone.
https://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/M/MostRa00.htm Career numbers for anyone that wants to look, even when he is full speed he's not that scary
Jeff Wilson had an opp to seize control last season when he came over from SF and did not.

Mostert week 15 carries...he looked pretty good to me.

Last edited:
Yes and No

Thanks for posting back
Mostert 181 carries

Mostert week 15 carries...he looked pretty good to me.
Week 15 he looked great.
I'd like to see the tape on every game, 17 games, 180 carries, he wasn't that big of a factor in our offense.
Count me in on wanting to pair Cook with Achane and hold the Mostert please
I hear you TT, Mostert will be a great 3rd RB, a guy you want on the roster when you sustain an injury at RB1 and 2, but you don't want to build the running game around him at this point.
He's cheap, let's not sugarcoat it. It was easy to resign him, cost little to part ways. We sunk a 5th into WIlson so maybe he should be the RB3 but I see Achane as part of a 2-Back system and I'm not sure the other RB is ont he roster right now, I stand by that.

Thanks TT, appreciate the Mostert support, he's been great. But there's a limit and typically his shelf life is not Week 1 all the way thru Week 17 and the playoffs.
We need something proven and reliable IMHO.

I'm repeating myself. Achane will likely be a good receiver in Miami. He caught 96 passes in high school, many from a WR position and on downfield routes. Check out his senior year film: https://youtu.be/U2FmePEI9b0

In college, he had a great wheel route catch versus Alabama and several downfield catches his first 2 seasons when he was a 1B to Spiller. My biggest concern is pass protecting for Tua ... he seems "willing" as they say, but versus Micah Parsons watch out. Maybe more draw plays.

I'm repeating myself. Achane will likely be a good receiver in Miami. He caught 96 passes in high school, many from a WR position and on downfield routes. Check out his senior year film: https://youtu.be/U2FmePEI9b0

In college, he had a great wheel route catch versus Alabama and several downfield catches his first 2 seasons when he was a 1B to Spiller. My biggest concern is pass protecting for Tua ... he seems "willing" as they say, but versus Micah Parsons watch out. Maybe more draw plays.
His abilities in the passing game should not be overlooked. Just because Hill and Waddle got a ton of targets last year, the monster share of them it would seem, still felt like a 3rd weapon was missing, especially in the running game and short passing game. When you run Hill and Waddle on deeper routes and then set up a screen underneath to a guy with the skill set of Achane, won't happen every week but he is going to bust some chunks on opposing defenses in complete mismatches when he lines up to catch the football.

Every other game, 3rd game, this player will crash the box and while you may not know where it's coming from his rookie year, if you root for the Phins like you and I, it's pretty exciting.
But I also want to point out we are on a FF message board
It's May and the only folks here with much to say are Dynasty League types and Redraft heads that want to get the jump like myself.
I get why folks are scratching their heads and asking a lot of questions, revealing their doubts, all good.

Last edited:
Ranked 57th right now at FFP
MoP takes the Over
Over meaning higher number rank (bad) or meaning better (lower number rank)?
He will exceed #57
I am salivating as I read the current Top 40-50-60 RBs on FFP's site
I gotta bang out some early RB knee jerk reactions to some of these rankings.

As an example, I might like any numerous RBs in the 8-15 range and further out vs the Top 10 listed so far
When I get that type of 1st reaction, usually leads me in the right direction.

Thanks for the post, I definitely think he will hit the top 40, and much higher than that. Not much in his way IMHO.

His success or how much success will be determined by how much he understands the system...

Frankly I haven't done the homework on if he's run in the system before, has anyone else?

His success or how much success will be determined by how much he understands the system...

Frankly I haven't done the homework on if he's run in the system before, has anyone else?
I believe his FF success will be measured by usage. I seriously doubt he ever gets enough touches to be fantasy relevant, but I could be wrong. I see them having specific packages for him, but not enough usage for fantasy.

Check out this podcast from Travis Wingfield.

Travis says Achane had 117 zone runs, and 79 man gap runs. Achane says he can run anywhere, between the tackles were most of his runs. He should be a good fit for Miami's predominant wide zone blocking scheme. In his 1st season, he did some PR coverage. Not a prima donna.

Achane knows Waddle from playing youth basketball together. Achane could've packed it in after missing 2 games with a foot injury late in the season. Instead, he ran 38 times for 215 yards versus LSU in his last game. That's bell-cowish.

Check out this podcast from Travis Wingfield.

Travis says Achane had 117 zone runs, and 79 man gap runs. Achane says he can run anywhere, between the tackles were most of his runs. He should be a good fit for Miami's predominant wide zone blocking scheme. In his 1st season, he did some PR coverage. Not a prima donna.

Achane knows Waddle from playing youth basketball together. Achane could've packed it in after missing 2 games with a foot injury late in the season. Instead, he ran 38 times for 215 yards versus LSU in his last game. That's bell-cowish.
Seems like he can handle a big load for his size, but the main concern is that it was at the college level (albeit within the most powerful conference). How much he can handle - or more likely, the coaching staff wants him to handle - at the NFL level is the big question. My sense is that he'll be considerably more valuable from an NFL team perspective than a fantasy team perspective.

2023 NFL draft: Best picks, rookie classes, fantasy sleepers

Which midround pick will have fantasy value in 2023?

Excerpts:
Matt Bowen, NFL analyst: Devon Achane, RB, Miami Dolphins. Achane has the speed and playmaking traits to be deployed as a motion/movement player in Mike McDaniel's offense. In addition to backfield touches, McDaniel can scheme for Achane on fly sweeps and screens. He's a late-round points per reception (PPR) target who could emerge as a flex play in your lineup.

Liz Loza, fantasy and sports betting analyst:Achane. A track-and-field standout at Texas A&M, Achane is a blazer (4.32-second 40-yard dash). He also has awesome vision while remaining undeniably elusive, making him a nightmare to contain in space. He'll begin the year behind Raheem Mostert and Jeff Wilson Jr., but given the vets' respective ages and injury histories, Achane could emerge as a fantasy star down the stretch.

Matt Miller, NFL draft analyst: Achane. This is a popular pick for a good reason. Achane's burst around the edge and open-field speed is ideal for the Miami offensive scheme. What he adds as a pass-catcher and even potentially as a return man should give him a boost in fantasy leagues.

Eric Moody, fantasy and sports betting analyst: Achane. I agree with everything Bowen, Loza and Miller said. Achane fits McDaniel's wide zone scheme really well. Mostert and Wilson are his only competition for touches. They're both older running backs who have had many injuries. Achane is going to be aggressively targeted late in fantasy football drafts, especially by those implementing a "zero RB" strategy.

Jordan Reid, NFL draft analyst: Achane. Achane is the most popular and obvious answer here because of how perfect he fits in the Dolphins' offense. With his quickness and one-cut-and-go style, he fits McDaniel's scheme well. He not only provides value in the running game but could also be a versatile target in the passing game.

I believe his FF success will be measured by usage. I seriously doubt he ever gets enough touches to be fantasy relevant, but I could be wrong. I see them having specific packages for him, but not enough usage for fantasy.
What's your projection at this point for total touches in 2023 and 2024 since you don't see him getting very many
I would like to know because maybe we aren't as far off as i think but I would like to hear from you
Thanks JU

1 more thing...did you know he carried the ball almost 20x a game in the SEC for A&M his Senior Year? That doesn't include catches and he had plenty for a college RB

MoP takes the Over
He will exceed #57

As an example, I might like any numerous RBs in the 8-15 range and further out vs the Top 10 listed so far

Thanks for the post, I definitely think he will hit the top 40, and much higher than that. Not much in his way IMHO.
Personally, I've got him probably RB25-30. I'd much rather take Achane than the David Montgomery's of the world. Something like Achane v. Pacheco is an interesting debate to me, one where I probably still prefer Achane.

I see Achane getting 15-18 touches a game. No more than 12 carries. I traded my 2024 1st for him, I'm a believer. Him being able to run the ball up the middle with success in the SEC sold me. #teamAChain

MoP takes the Over
He will exceed #57

Personally, I've got him probably RB25-30. I'd much rather take Achane than the David Montgomery's of the world. Something like Achane v. Pacheco is an interesting debate to me, one where I probably still prefer Achane.
We're in the same aisle here.
There's a ceiling for almost any RB in the Miami offense and it should be noted how often Miami flirts with RBs not on the team right now
This could look worse in coming weeks if Cook happens to leave Minnesota, not sure that's happening but he wants out and June 1st is a special day in Miami
We inherit close to $15M in cap space with Byron Jones being released already.
I'm just reminding folks or making people aware of how the vibe feels down here in South Beach

Users who are viewing this thread