What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devon Achane, MIA (1 Viewer)

Echoing my earlier notion of hoping Mostert hits a wall this off season. Achane has the potential to be RB1 if he gets the majority of touches and stays healthy (A big if).

His draft position will be interesting to monitor for next year. I'm not the guy to take him in the 1st but every draft will have one owner who will. His upside is record breaking. My problem is his floor is he plays 4 games.

Echoing my earlier notion of hoping Mostert hits a wall this off season. Achane has the potential to be RB1 if he gets the majority of touches and stays healthy (A big if).
McDaniel loves Mostert and he will be back. However, I think his role will be reduced but he will frustrate Achane owners because he will be the goal line back. It was amazing how intent McDaniel was to pound Mostert at the goal line. He did get a lot of TDs but not sure it was anything Achane or Wilson wouldn’t have done with the same opportunity. Don’t think it was special skill set.

McDaniel loves Mostert and he will be back. However, I think his role will be reduced but he will frustrate Achane owners because he will be the goal line back. It was amazing how intent McDaniel was to pound Mostert at the goal line. He did get a lot of TDs but not sure it was anything Achane or Wilson wouldn’t have done with the same opportunity. Don’t think it was special skill set.
Mostert took his game to another level this year, not sure if he can keep it up next year at age 32, assuming he stays. Brooks will be here and one of Wilson or Mostert, depending on $$. Jeff Wilson could be a short yardage back, he has power, but he's not as good as Mostert who has speed and vision to take it outside or cutback on short yardage and other plays.

Mostert has a pff grade of 87.5, best of his career by far. Achane's grade is 92.8, it went up a little after yesterday's game where he made several splash runs and a nice leaping TD grab. He doesn't leave many yards on the field. MIA hasn't fully tapped his receiving skills. He won't be a cowbell back, are there any besides Barkley. Taylor, and CMC? But he should get well over 50% of the action next year. He's good between the tackles, but my bet is he shares GL carries next year. Need to reduce wear and tear.

His draft position will be interesting to monitor for next year. I'm not the guy to take him in the 1st but every draft will have one owner who will. His upside is record breaking. My problem is his floor is he plays 4 games.
I can keep him for $12 in my $250-cap keep-4 auction league. Because of that, I won’t feel the need to grab him in the first round of redrafts. But most redraft leagues will probably have at least one person who covets him and doesn’t have any shares.

Opportunity is definitely the question.

It's amazing to look at the big board of RB stats right now through 16 games.
What stands out immediately is that Achane has put up amazing stats on only 93 carries.
There are 20+ RBs behind him with far more opportunities but fewer points.

It's insane how Miami landed the two fastest WRs and two fastest RBs in the league. Each player is arguably in the top tier for big play ability.

Achane can go off for 30+ points every single game. He's a TD waiting to happen. Opportunity and health will be the only thing keeping him back from being the best fantasy player.

Mostert extension + Wright draft pick = a good time to buy low to me. Achane is much more talented than those guys. Mostert is 32, and Wright is coming from a very gimmicky offense.

I think Achane owners have reason to be worried.

Just about everyone knew that Achane was never going to be a bell cow, but it's a bit alarming that the Dolphins aggressively went after Wright (sending a 2025 3rd round draft pick, which is what they used on Achane himself last year). It's not like Wright fell into their laps, but rather than they clearly wanted him and didn't want to wait until next year to address the position.

Even with the added muscle to his frame, it's unlikely now that Achane will be able to show what he can do with a larger workload. He may be the most talented of the bunch, but that won't necessarily translate into more touches - have to imagine that McDaniel will design some plays for Wright as well. Great for the Dolphins' run game, but fantasy owners of all three may be having some weekly frustration.

Also have to think that Achane won't be able to maintain his insane efficiency from last year (997 yards from scrimmage on 130 touches, or 7.7 yards per touch).

As Levitan said a few posts ago, not a good offseason for Achane.

I think Achane owners have reason to be worried.

Just about everyone knew that Achane was never going to be a bell cow, but it's a bit alarming that the Dolphins aggressively went after Wright (sending a 2025 3rd round draft pick, which is what they used on Achane himself last year). It's not like Wright fell into their laps, but rather than they clearly wanted him and didn't want to wait until next year to address the position.

Even with the added muscle to his frame, it's unlikely now that Achane will be able to show what he can do with a larger workload. He may be the most talented of the bunch, but that won't necessarily translate into more touches - have to imagine that McDaniel will design some plays for Wright as well. Great for the Dolphins' run game, but fantasy owners of all three may be having some weekly frustration.

Also have to think that Achane won't be able to maintain his insane efficiency from last year (997 yards from scrimmage on 130 touches, or 7.7 yards per touch).

As Levitan said a few posts ago, not a good offseason for Achane.
Some good points, I'd like to offer another POV

-The Miami starting RB spot was split up between Achane and Mostert, Achance missed about 6+ weeks along the way.
That combo racked up almost 2,200 yds total and 32 Touchdowns...
The RB3/4/5 spots for Miami ate up almost another 100 balls.

-Folks seem to forget that Achane was hurt in preseason but Miami fans got flashes of his skills. He was not used much the first couple games of the season
His first real taste of action was 18/203/2TD, also managed 4/30/2TD catching the ball...I doubt we see this production from Wright early in the 2024 campaign
The Achane impact was fast and furious but it was never sustained when he returned from his ankle or foot injury his rookie year.
Weeks 12-17 plus the Playoff game at KC were nothing like what fans saw weeks 3, 4, and 5...that's really when Achane did all his damage.
No Miami RB ever carries the ball 20x a game so if that's how folks measure starting RB, gonna be hard to have a Miami Dolphin on your team.

Achane managed 23 touches per game his last year at A&M, he can handle a pretty good size load, sooner or later he'll be splitting time with Wright
Achane's 1st real game as a Miami Dolphin, he had 22 touches which is in line with what he did in college
Achance was taken #84 overall
Wright was taken #120 overall but Miami did trade their '25 3rd Rd pick to get him, they were light on picks this year, forfeited their 3rd due to Stephen Ross the owner.
Miami simply traded one of their possible 3 picks in the 3rd round next year so it was easier for them to make that move. I wouldn't read into it like they are unhappy with Achane.

I expect Miami, Grier and McD to take skill guys coming out in the Draft almost every year. Hill is going to be off this team in the next couple seasons, Mostert retiring, there will be a lot of guys flowing on and off this roster to give Coach McD weapons for what he does best, Offense.

Last edited:
I always love the doom and gloom for incumbents when their team drafts a 4th round running back.

Achane was unlikely to ever be a 20 touch per game back. And the good thing is, he doesn’t need to be. He’s a guy that you find ways to manufacture 10-15 touches for each game, with upside for more. And that’s all he needs, especially in that offense.

I guess I struggle to see how drafting a back (one who ever exceeded 13 touches per game in any of his 3 college seasons) in the 4th round, which is less draft capital than what was invested in Achane, is considered a bad offseason or negative for Achane. If anything, it’s a minor investment in the position that might just possibly limit the Dolphins temptation to invest further in the position with 1st or 2nd round pick in coming years. Because if that happened, that would actually be a bad offseason for Achane.

All fair points on both sides. I think the biggest disappointment from an Achane perspective is that it looked like it would be the Mostert/Achane show this year, with Achane perhaps earning a bigger piece of the pie given the desire to lessen the load on 32-year old Mostert. That may still happen, but it stands to reason that Wright steal a bit of that two-headed workload, and McDaniel has shown no hesitancy to play his rookies.

If you subscribe to the belief that Achane can maintain incredible efficiency with 10-15 touches, then there is probably nothing to be concerned about. I tend to believe in some regression to the mean, which could sap some of that upside.

I don't think we know that.
Well of course we don't know it mate, but given his age, you have to think that the long term optimistic outlook for Wright is to assume the role Mostert should retain next season.

I'm sure Wright will get some touches, but I doubt they'll be at the expense of Achane. Wright is a project I reckon.

I think Achane was always going to be a 12-14 touch per game type of back, kind of like a supercharged version of Matt Breida under McD. This only impacts Achane's long term value if you thought he was going to get significantly more than that. Miami was taking a Mostert replacement this year or next.

Considering that Dallas, who had a glaring need at RB, passed over him 3 or 4 times, its hard to view Wright as a major threat to Achane, who proved himself to be one of the most lethal RBs in football last year. If Wright is as good as some are suggesting, why didn’t Dallas, or any other team grab him before Miami?

Had Achane not missed significant time, he would’ve likely been in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year. He is not supposed to be a workhorse, I’d be surprised if anyone thought he was. He’s best used strategically in a timeshare with another RB who can take the pounding.

As long as Achane gets the same kind of work he did in 2023, owners shouldn’t care how Mostert and/or Wright factor into the mix. If anything, Achane owners should embrace the idea of limiting his touches to an extent so that he can be available all season long.

Considering that Dallas, who had a glaring need at RB, passed over him 3 or 4 times, its hard to view Wright as a major threat to Achane, who proved himself to be one of the most lethal RBs in football last year. If Wright is as good as some are suggesting, why didn’t Dallas, or any other team grab him before Miami?
Not all running backs fit all offensive systems. If you've got a Bijan type, you can do whatever you want, he's talented enough to do whatever is needed. Wright is a gap scheme, one cut, speed merchant. He's almost certainly not a 3 down workhorse, more a specific role player. In the right system a very useful piece to have potentially. I'm not sure he fits the sort of role the Cowboys like to give their main RB and them drafting him to be something he isn't probably wouldn't have been a smart move.

Skillsets matter at RB now. It isn't just 'he's a good running back therefore he'll be productive'. Most teams have defined roles for specific schemes and situations. People like the idea of Jaylen Wright because one of his main pre draft comparisons was Raheem Mostert and scouting reports suggested that if he landed with a team that intended to use him that way he could be a valuable producer. He landed with a team that will attempt to utilize his best traits. I'm not really interested on who passed on him or where he didn't end up. He did end up somewhere that can theoretically get more than a decent tune out of him.

It's really not dissimilar to Achane last season. Would Achane have been more productive last year if he ended up on say, the Bears and they attempted to make him their workhorse? Highly unlikely I think.

For players of this ilk, they are better served with 8-14 well designed touches rather than 20+ general rushes.

Not all running backs fit all offensive systems. If you've got a Bijan type, you can do whatever you want, he's talented enough to do whatever is needed. Wright is a gap scheme, one cut, speed merchant. He's almost certainly not a 3 down workhorse, more a specific role player. In the right system a very useful piece to have potentially. I'm not sure he fits the sort of role the Cowboys like to give their main RB and them drafting him to be something he isn't probably wouldn't have been a smart move.

Skillsets matter at RB now. It isn't just 'he's a good running back therefore he'll be productive'. Most teams have defined roles for specific schemes and situations. People like the idea of Jaylen Wright because one of his main pre draft comparisons was Raheem Mostert and scouting reports suggested that if he landed with a team that intended to use him that way he could be a valuable producer. He landed with a team that will attempt to utilize his best traits. I'm not really interested on who passed on him or where he didn't end up. He did end up somewhere that can theoretically get more than a decent tune out of him.

It's really not dissimilar to Achane last season. Would Achane have been more productive last year if he ended up on say, the Bears and they attempted to make him their workhorse? Highly unlikely I think.

For players of this ilk, they are better served with 8-14 well designed touches rather than 20+ general rushes.
Great points that also underscore my point, which is that Wright isn’t the do-it-all type of back that’s going to force Achane off the field. If he were, a team like Dallas would’ve been all over him. That they weren’t suggests Achane owners shouldn’t be overly concerned about Wright impacting his role, one he excelled at as a rookie.

I’ve seen a few “experts” claiming Achane was a draft “loser” due to Wright. I think that’s a bit misguided and Achane’s value/role hasn’t really been impacted one bit. Anyone who expected Achane to have the backfield all to himself were destined to be disappointed.

Had Achane not missed significant time, he would’ve likely been in the running for Offensive Rookie of the Year. He is not supposed to be a workhorse, I’d be surprised if anyone thought he was. He’s best used strategically in a timeshare with another RB who can take the pounding.

As long as Achane gets the same kind of work he did in 2023, owners shouldn’t care how Mostert and/or Wright factor into the mix. If anything, Achane owners should embrace the idea of limiting his touches to an extent so that he can be available all season long.
Frankly, Dallas has cap problems that limit their ability to solve other roster gaps, other than through the draft. They simply couldn’t justify spending a pick early enough to select Wright given their other glaring needs and cap limitations.

Frankly, Dallas has cap problems that limit their ability to solve other roster gaps, other than through the draft. They simply couldn’t justify spending a pick early enough to select Wright given their other glaring needs and cap limitations.
Dallas could create loads of cap space if they chose to, not really an issue.

But I think it's an odd stance to take to think that Dallas passing is any kind of reflection on Wright. They did not take any RB, so if we are doing this we got to say put every RB in this convo. Did the fact that Seattle preferred Charb's, Titan's preferred Spears or Saints preferred Kendre Miller have any bearing on how Achane performed as a Dolphin?

Daniel Jeremiah in the lead up to the draft kept saying the teams he talked to had the RB's rated all over the place, no consensus opinion existed at all. At one point he said a team he talked to had like his 11th and 12th ranked RB near the top of their RB board and then he threw out names like Braelon Allen and Isiah Davis and I now know he must have been referring to his buddy Joe Douglass.

Anyway, Dallas passing means absolutely nothing.

All this DAL talk doesn't matter. They had massive holes to fill on both O and D. Yes they also needed a RB but their backup plan was always Zeke. They knew they could scrap together 1 more year of Zeke and next years RB class is supposed to be very good. Wright going to MIA is a fantastic fit. Having said that it doesn't impact Achane much at all.

Achane was going to do Achane things. If someone in your league is out on Achane buy him now. Achane can be like the Tony Pollard behind Zeke. Goes in and does great with his 12-13 touches a game. The guy can score on the ground or through the air. He has great vision and fits what MIA wants to do. The only thing holding him back is can he hold up. We don't want him getting 15 carries a game and taking a beating. 8-10 carries and 4-5 targets a game is perfect for him.

Wright can learn behind Mostert this year and slowly take over. The days of bellcow RBs is over and that is probably a good thing for Achane. Wright can do the heavy lifting and Achane go in and blow the doors off the place. The wild thing is Wright is fast AF too LOL. As a MIA fan I love it.

BRB - trying to buy Achane in leagues I don't already have him.

I see plenty of reasons to be bullish on Achane, but Dallas passing on the guy Miami used a future 3rd on is not one of them. Wright landed in a perfect offense for utilizing his strength and not needing him to do what he's not great at. Both him and Achane are the type of backs who could be nothing more than change of pace guys in a lot of systems but have history of working out in the Shanny/McD system.

Users who are viewing this thread