What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Devonta Freeman, BAL (1 Viewer)

Matt Waldman said Freeman's a better fit for Shanahan's offense. Can't say he's wrong but that was a poor defense yesterday with so many Cowboys out.
Most of that defense held Demarco Murray & Eagles running game in check. Freeman should probably be the starter but Coleman will get a fair share of the carries as well (40-50%) when he's healthy.
That's true too. I'm a Coleman and Freeman owner hoping one of them will be the man. Upcoming games look very good for him.

:lmao:

That would be the best game of about 98.8% of RB careers.

Hell, that game proved your previous statements invalid.

Last edited by a moderator:
He's hot garbage. He's slow. He's not explosive. He's small. I have no idea why he's even in the NFL. I'll take how he's performed the rest of his short career against this one game and say that is more indicative of his skill set.

He's hot garbage. He's slow. He's not explosive. He's small. I have no idea why he's even in the NFL. I'll take how he's performed the rest of his short career against this one game and say that is more indicative of his skill set.
To get 35 touches and 195 yards and 3 tds in his first NFL start, and also his first game with 12 or more carries.

Don't sugarcoat it man. Tell us what you think...

I've been a Freeman dynasty owner since day 1, and I've never been overwhelmed with his talent. That said, I traded out of the 2.01 spot in the rookie draft this year because Coleman was on the board and I've drank the Kool-Aid on him not having the vision, patience, and tackle breaking ability to be a successful back in the NFL. So my take is coloured by this double bias. However...

The Freeman I saw on Sunday was a different player than the one that has sat on my bench for 18 games. He's running with swagger. He's always had the hands, the speed, and the agility. What I saw against Dallas was physicality and confidence. The holes were there, but he hit every one of them with speed and vision. If he keeps that up, I think the Falcons keep him as their 1A, and some high-end RB2 numbers are the spoils.

If you haven't yet, watch the highlights and tell me that this was just the o-line opening holes http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000540334/Devonta-Freeman-highlights
I watched the highlights just now. Other than the catch over the middle, I didn't see a single play where the bulk of his yardage was due to anything other than blocking. The Cowboys line was getting handled on all of those plays. On most, Freeman wasn't getting touched until 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.
Watch the very first run in that sequence and tell me what happens at the end of it.
Uhhhh.....he runs 20+ yards untouched, then gets 3-4 extra yards when the defender does a poor job wrapping him up.

Objectively, I think Coleman probably houses one of those 15 yard runs but whatever. Freeman played great and IMO this is a 50-50 split. Good thing is there isn't a 3rd rb to take carries.

There should be enough carries for both to be useful fantasy guys. We don't have that third RB ala Sproles or Woodhead to take snaps from freeman & Coleman. Both might get 15 touches per game.

Objectively, I think Coleman probably houses one of those 15 yard runs but whatever. Freeman played great and IMO this is a 50-50 split. Good thing is there isn't a 3rd rb to take carries.
That's funny because I thought Freeman would have housed 2 of the 10 yard carries Coleman had the week before.

That's funny because I thought Freeman would have housed 2 of the 10 yard carries Coleman had the week before.
Coleman has no power. He goes down on 1st contact. He needs those gaping holes to succeed. Freeman doesn't.

17 of Colemans 27 runs vs OSU were for 1 yard or less in his big game vs them. That doesn't work in the NFL.

"There are two kinds of back who are successful in this league - runners who break tackles and runners who can create for themselves. He's not either one." -- NFC running back coach NFL Comparison Darren McFadden

Alex P Keaton said:
I've been a Freeman dynasty owner since day 1, and I've never been overwhelmed with his talent. That said, I traded out of the 2.01 spot in the rookie draft this year because Coleman was on the board and I've drank the Kool-Aid on him not having the vision, patience, and tackle breaking ability to be a successful back in the NFL. So my take is coloured by this double bias. However...

The Freeman I saw on Sunday was a different player than the one that has sat on my bench for 18 games. He's running with swagger. He's always had the hands, the speed, and the agility. What I saw against Dallas was physicality and confidence. The holes were there, but he hit every one of them with speed and vision. If he keeps that up, I think the Falcons keep him as their 1A, and some high-end RB2 numbers are the spoils.

If you haven't yet, watch the highlights and tell me that this was just the o-line opening holes http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlights/0ap3000000540334/Devonta-Freeman-highlights
I watched the highlights just now. Other than the catch over the middle, I didn't see a single play where the bulk of his yardage was due to anything other than blocking. The Cowboys line was getting handled on all of those plays. On most, Freeman wasn't getting touched until 10 yards past the line of scrimmage.
Watch the very first run in that sequence and tell me what happens at the end of it.
Uhhhh.....he runs 20+ yards untouched, then gets 3-4 extra yards when the defender does a poor job wrapping him up.
Beauty is always in the eye of the beholder in fantasy. What I saw is a diminutive running back seek contact and shed a (larger) tackler with authority, picking up about 6 extra yards (initial contact is at the 43, he goes out at around the 38/37 yard line).

I'm not saying that Freeman is going to be a lock RB1, or even a lock to be the 1A. My initial point was that I've never been blown away by his talent or his demeanour on the field. In this game I saw the most talent and -by a mile- the most confidence I have ever seen out of him. Confidence is something that is essential to high level performance, but it can't be coached. You either have it or don't. For the first time in his career, I think he really has it.

These things bode well for the future. Gio Bernard-like RB2 numbers are not out of the question, even with Coleman back and taking a 50% share of the carries.

Coleman has no power. He goes down on 1st contact. He needs those gaping holes to succeed. Freeman doesn't.

17 of Colemans 27 runs vs OSU were for 1 yard or less in his big game vs them. That doesn't work in the NFL.

"There are two kinds of back who are successful in this league - runners who break tackles and runners who can create for themselves. He's not either one." -- NFC running back coach NFL Comparison Darren McFadden

The guy had a historic game against them, but I guess that "doesn't work in the NFL".

Im excited to see what the future holds for Freeman this year.

ATL is a pretty good offense with a great schedule. By no means do I think Freeman has relegated Coleman to the bench with 1 performance, but if he continues looking strong I dont see how Coleman gets more than say, every 3rd series. Freeman definitely had holes but I thought he showed real good vision, plenty of nice cutbacks, ran with great power for his size, was decisive, and when the time came sought out defenders and broke tackles.

humpback said:

The guy had a historic game against them, but I guess that "doesn't work in the NFL".
I see it flew right over your head. I'll elaborate. You run 17 times for 1 yard or less out of 27 carries, you will find the bench in the NFL.

humpback said:

I see it flew right over your head. I'll elaborate. You run 17 times for 1 yard or less out of 27 carries, you will find the bench in the NFL.
Good thing he wasn't playing in the NFL. He was playing for punk ### Indiana which had ZERO other than Coleman and he still laid 228 and 3 on them.

Going to need to see more from Freeman to believe in him. He's never going to be an every down back so even if you think he's turned a corner here, I think he always stays high variance RB2-RB3 and is difficult to start.

humpback said:

Good thing he wasn't playing in the NFL. He was playing for punk ### Indiana which had ZERO other than Coleman and he still laid 228 and 3 on them.
He ran thru giant holes untouched vs OSU. When touched, he went down like a baby. The Indiana QB even had a run of 55+ yards in that game.

There should be enough carries for both to be useful fantasy guys. We don't have that third RB ala Sproles or Woodhead to take snaps from freeman & Coleman. Both might get 15 touches per game.
Freeman was the 3rd down receiving back, so what changes?

humpback said:

He ran thru giant holes untouched vs OSU. When touched, he went down like a baby. The Indiana QB even had a run of 55+ yards in that game.
Not from what I saw and he ran through some small creases last week avoiding and even breaking tackles.

Going to need to see more from Freeman to believe in him. He's never going to be an every down back so even if you think he's turned a corner here, I think he always stays high variance RB2-RB3 and is difficult to start.
Calm down and give it little time to see if your guess is right..

Calm down and give it little time to see if your guess is right..
That was the book on him coming out of college, what he's shown so far in the NFL, and how he's being used. I don't know why you would think otherwise. Anything is possible if he exceeds expectations but that's wishful thinking.

humpback said:

You couldn't have described it worse if you hadn't seen the game at all. Not sure what Diamont's scramble had to do Coleman.

humpback said:

Yeah, your absurd post flew right over my head, that must be it. The guy was 6th in the Heisman voting playing on a garbage team, and in the particular game you're talking about he had more rushing yards than they had given up in 15+ years, and the longest TD run they'd given up in over 50 years. But go ahead, blame him instead of the offensive line for those short carries and try to make it sound like he stinks.

Atlanta obviously doesn't agree with you, since they drafted him and made him the starter right away.

humpback said:
Coleman has no power. He goes down on 1st contact. He needs those gaping holes to succeed. Freeman doesn't.17 of Colemans 27 runs vs OSU were for 1 yard or less in his big game vs them. That doesn't work in the NFL.

:lmao: The guy had a historic game against them, but I guess that "doesn't work in the NFL".
Yeah, your absurd post flew right over my head, that must be it. The guy was 6th in the Heisman voting playing on a garbage team, and in the particular game you're talking about he had more rushing yards than they had given up in 15+ years, and the longest TD run they'd given up in over 50 years. But go ahead, blame him instead of the offensive line for those short carries and try to make it sound like he stinks.Atlanta obviously doesn't agree with you, since they drafted him and made him the starter right away.
Except they didn't make him the starter right away and Freeman is above him on the depth chart as of today. Boom.

What are your guys thoughts on selling high on Devonta Freeman?

He is a bit slow and has average quickness, but his situation is great. He gets a lot of catches and a good amount of receiving yards, and will see a lot of goal line looks in the Falcons offense that is clicking so far. Problem is, anyone who's watched their games knows that Tevin Coleman is the far superior back. Even with Sunday's game, Freeman's place as a starter remains pretty volatile.

It's highly probable that you won't be getting the likes of Bell, AP, Lacy, and Charles for Freeman and a nice other option, but one guy that I think you can swing Freeman and a nice other option for is Matt Forte.

Forte is a lot faster of a runner and will get a larger volume of receptions/receiving yards than Freeman, but his touchdown upside is trash in the Bears offense, which could see a lot of 3 and outs. However, his place as a starter is unquestioned, and he finished as an elite RB1 last year through sheer volume over touchdowns. Freeman is currently my flex, I love how my team would look with Forte at flex. But it's also possibly Freeman hangs on to the starting job the rest of the way and posts elite numbers. But Forte is the much safer bet.

Another option would be Arian Foster, but owning Foster is a headache with all his injuries, and i highly doubt he's coming back strong this year after having surgery on his problematic groin. No way I'm dealing for Foster.

Not many other elite backs worth trading up for after that. Which brings me to wide receivers:

Due to a huge shortage of reliable starting RBs, I know plenty of teams that went WR heavy that would jump at the chance to get Freeman.

One of those teams has Al Morris and McFadden at RB, I think he'd be willing to part with his flex Emmanuel Sanders for Freeman and maybe a nice other option.

Another trade I've been considering making to an RB needy team is Freeman for Alshon Jeffery straight up. The owner might be frustrated with Jeffery's hamstring issues, which could potentially limit him all year, and Cutler is out for a few weeks, Jeffery is a risky buy low option. But if he is healthy, watch out, the Bears are gonna be playing from behind a LOT this year, and there's no one else to throw to. I foresee a ton of garbage points coming for Jeffery.

So should I keep Freeman? Or would Forte or Sanders or Jeffery make for a much more dangerous looking team? Who else would you target?

Rotoworld:

Devonta Freeman - RB - Falcons

Devonta Freeman has leaped Tevin Coleman on the Falcons' "unofficial" depth chart.

Team-issued depth charts are rarely worth the bytes they're posted on, but the Falcons' social media team went to great pains to publicize Freeman's "promotion." That's not something they'd be doing if they thought it would anger the coaching staff. We've questioned Freeman's skill-set — it's still highly unclear if he's a viable between-the-tackles back — but last week's demolition of a previously stingy Dallas run defense speaks for itself. At the very least, Freeman has earned an extended audition. Even if Coleman (ribs) returns for Sunday's game against the Texans, Freeman will be on the RB2 map.

Related: Tevin Coleman

Source: atlantafalcons.com

Sep 29 - 5:25 PM

Lol @ Atlanta

This is the same team that left Antone Smith on the bench so this ridiculousness isn't surprising.

my eyes tell me coleman is the better back, but is it really possible for freeman to be a high end rb2 ROS? he'd have to dominate touches 2 to 1 vs. coleman to do that. he's my rb4 but i dont know what value to price him at in a trade.

Coleman owners be hatin'. It is what it is. No RB is a guarantee all season long: injuries, competiton, legal woes. Enjoy Freeman now and as long as it lasts -- which might be all season.

Lol @ Atlanta

This is the same team that left Antone Smith on the bench so this ridiculousness isn't surprising.
whats to LOL about? Devonta ran really well against Dallas and is the better pass catcher. and for the record I own both in a dynasty
He sucks B. I don't own either but Atlanta is terrible at playing their best players. So no surprise.
Not true.
Everytime 5 times Antone Smith touched the ball last year he went 50+ yards for a touchdown. So what did Atlanta do? They ran hot garbage like Freeman out there in front of Smith all year. It was a terrible decision.

Lol @ Atlanta

whats to LOL about? Devonta ran really well against Dallas and is the better pass catcher. and for the record I own both in a dynasty
He sucks B. I don't own either but Atlanta is terrible at playing their best players. So no surprise.
Not true.
Everytime 5 times Antone Smith touched the ball last year he went 50+ yards for a touchdown. So what did Atlanta do? They ran hot garbage like Freeman out there in front of Smith all year. It was a terrible decision.
How does last year hold any relevance to this year and the new coaching staff? Terrible argument if thats all you have.

Lol @ Atlanta

Not true.
How does last year hold any relevance to this year and the new coaching staff? Terrible argument if thats all you have.
Well Antone Smith is a FA and they just ran hot garbage Freeman out there again didn't they

my eyes tell me coleman is the better back, but is it really possible for freeman to be a high end rb2 ROS? he'd have to dominate touches 2 to 1 vs. coleman to do that. he's my rb4 but i dont know what value to price him at in a trade.
FBG has him as RB10 going forward this season in PPR.... Coleman is RB42.

Top 10 seems steep IMO. Even before the Coleman injury, FBGs consistently had Freeman ahead of Coleman. Seems like they've really gone all in now.

That's interesting. He was rb30 going forward in last week's to 200... Seems like an aggressive move up the rankings based on one game

Users who are viewing this thread