What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Elijah Mitchell, SF (1 Viewer)

I am not going down this road again this year

What road is that? The road where if people would just listen to what the coaches are saying, that is exactly what happens?

An ADP of 65 for a clear RB1 workhorse is an absolute steal.

The idea that the SF backfield is a mystery is the myth that just keeps on giving. People are making the same mistake this year drafting davis-price ahead of wilson.
Hi, 49ers fan here.

IMO, Mitchell isn’t that good and benefits from the scheme he’s in.

He’s also been dinged up & missed time, with a coach that has a “next man up” philosophy. Mitchell is also currently dealing with a hammy issue. He had 5 different injuries last season.

Also, Jeffery Wilson Jr looks like he’s in incredible shape this year.

Sermon might be a bust, but they drafted Davis-Price this year, who also looks good.

Personally, I’m likely avoiding this backfield, and I believe Mitchell’s ADP reflects many of the concerns I have above. I’ll enjoy rooting for him while he’s the man, but I’m unlikely to draft him. Never say never, but I feel there’s risk for performance, injury, and the possibility that the team just isn’t that good under Lance.

Maybe he’ll pay off for those who draft him. Unless he falls past his ADP it likely won’t be me.
Snagged Jordan Mason yesterday. :championship:

Just donned on me that there's an LSU/University of Louisiana Lafayette thing going on here. I'm on team Lafayette

It seems to be universally agreed that Mitchell is the teams starting RB. When you consider the situation surrounding Trey Lance, his inexperience, pressure, expectations, etc, it seems stability and consistency at RB would be very beneficial to Lance and his development. The fewer moving parts, the better. Having the same RB in the huddle, in the backfield, taking handoffs in the same manner, consistent and predictable blocking and route running on passing downs, on-field communication, etc.

Running 4 different RBs on and off the field constantly in every down and distance situation would clearly be detrimental to Lance’s development. It would seem leaving your best and most dependable RB out there as much as possible makes a lot of sense for many reasons. Of course Mitchell can’t play every single down, but this could very well be a situation where Mitchell is a legit every down back for the most part that Lance and the 49ers can lean on as Lance gets more comfortable running the show. With a couple nice matchups to start the season, Mitchell could start 2022 with a bang and never look back.
I think they've really only used 1 main RB, it's just they keep getting hurt.

The downside is baked into his draft spot. FBG's has him at Rb23. He has more upside than anybody except C Akers(RB19).
In a few more days the Houston RB(maybe Washington's too?) will be rocketing past. Mitchell and J Jacobs are good candidates
for Zero RB drafting.

I have the same reservations as mentioned above… injuries. Injuries. Injuries.

I have the option to keep him as a last round pick in my keeper league and am seriously debating tossing him back into the player pool for other players who probably offer less “draft value” but better reliability.

49ers coach Kyle Shanahan said that RB Elijah Mitchell (hamstring) is on schedule to play Week 1.​

This has appeared to be the plan all along as the 49ers have rested Mitchell throughout training camp. Mitchell should be the No. 1 back for the 49ers to start the season. The sophomore back is hovering around the 65 ADP range in most drafts after a 963-yard rookie season.
SOURCE: Matt Maiocco on Twitter
Aug 23, 2022, 3:16 PM ET
I am not going down this road again this year
I say this every year

🤦‍♂️

Elijah Mitchell owners

Step 1: Handcuff Jordan Mason ...run
Step 2: Profit
Always enjoy your posts and POV, can you expand a little bit on this? I promise I'll jot his name down because I want to leave the Draft with Mitchell. I'm prepared to pay a little more than most might so he can be my RB2 and perform as a low end RB1 for much of the year, that's how I feel about him and San Fran which is having some issues getting the passing game on track, strong running game will be a welcome part of the play calling.
Cheap back up is what you are saying? Jeff Wilson a concern at all?

Elijah Mitchell owners

Step 1: Handcuff Jordan Mason ...run
Step 2: Profit
Always enjoy your posts and POV, can you expand a little bit on this? I promise I'll jot his name down because I want to leave the Draft with Mitchell. I'm prepared to pay a little more than most might so he can be my RB2 and perform as a low end RB1 for much of the year, that's how I feel about him and San Fran which is having some issues getting the passing game on track, strong running game will be a welcome part of the play calling.
Cheap back up is what you are saying? Jeff Wilson a concern at all?
You're a gentleman and a scholar.

Jordan Mason is a perfect fit for the SF running game. There's very little east-west to his game, he looks to always fall forward for a couple of yards on every carry, and he has beast-like qualities that could compliment a 250-touch 2022 performance from Elijah Mitchell. Don't know anything about SF's salary situation, but working on a UFDA contract is another plus in his favor. Based upon the small sample size of the preseason, I like him more than Sermon, Davis-Price, and Wilson.

The downside to his game I suppose is he's not an elusive back by any stretch, and he lacks a fifth gear, for sure. He's unrosterable in shallow redrafts, but I like him in dynasty. I'm going to find a way to keep him on my 24-man roster.

Lot of persuasive clips in the Jordan Mason thread: https://forums.footballguys.com/threads/rb-jordan-mason-sf.805731/

Last edited:
I am happy to have landed Mitchell as my RB3 yesterday but we all know the risk.

If we ignore Jeff Wilson, who carries at least as much risk, for a moment; what is feeling of Mitchell owners and backers between Tyrion Davis-Price and Jordan Mason?

I bought into the Mason hype but I am rethinking that.

Do we have an update at all? Any reason to believe it's a season ender? Or even a multi-week thing?

I'm hoping it's not severe, injury is the only thing that can stop him this year.
Please. He can't withstand the punishment of being an every down RB. He has zero value if he can't play, Shanny needs to turn him into a CoP guy, not a lead back.

NBC Sports Bay Area's Jennifer Lee Chan reports Elijah Mitchell had a "substantial brace" on his injured knee when leaving the stadium Sunday.

"He was not bending it as he was slowly making his way to the bus, but he was not on crutches," wrote Chan. Seemingly always injured, Mitchell missed most of training camp with a hamstring injury. He recorded six carries for 41 yards against the Bears before leaving. Tyrion Davis-Price was inactive, leaving Jeff Wilson and Deebo Samuel to handle the carries for the Niners after Mitchell left. The bulky brace and not moving his leg is ominous for Mitchell's Week 2 outlook.
-
Jennifer Chan, Twitter

Anxiously awaiting updates.

Any Twitterers in here who follow the Tweets on stuff like this?
Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
40m

#49ers RB Eli Mitchell, who was quickly ruled out yesterday with a knee injury, is expected to miss some time, source said. He has an MRI this morning and that will determine the full extent. But Mitchell looking at a few weeks (or more) on the sidelines.
Interesting. Generally the team docs know when an ACL tear occurs before the MRI so this may be something closer to an MCL strain or meniscus tear. That still puts it on the 6 week time frame, no?

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
40m

#49ers RB Eli Mitchell, who was quickly ruled out yesterday with a knee injury, is expected to miss some time, source said. He has an MRI this morning and that will determine the full extent. But Mitchell looking at a few weeks (or more) on the sidelines.
Interesting. Generally the team docs know when an ACL tear occurs before the MRI so this may be something closer to an MCL strain or meniscus tear. That still puts it on the 6 week time frame, no?
I get the impression it's a minimum of 3-4 weeks, maybe closer to 6 as you are posting.
That field was atrocious, I'm sure the footing was not good. Did it happen on a tackle or when he was trying to make a cut? Curious.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
40m

Interesting. Generally the team docs know when an ACL tear occurs before the MRI so this may be something closer to an MCL strain or meniscus tear. That still puts it on the 6 week t
Yeah, I think that's long enough that I can expose him to the waiver wire.
At some point the coaching staff is going to move on. The guy can’t even make it through a game without getting injured. They’re not going to waste anymore time on him.

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
40m

Interesting. Generally the team docs know when an ACL tear occurs before the MRI so this may be something closer to an MCL strain or meniscus tear. That still puts it on the 6 week t
Yeah, I think that's long enough that I can expose him to the waiver wire.
At some point the coaching staff is going to move on. The guy can’t even make it through a game without getting injured. They’re not going to waste anymore time on him.
I never underestimate Kyle Shanahan's capacity to waste my time.

Per Schefter:

49ers’ RB Elijah Mitchell is expected to be sidelined about two months with the sprained MCL that he suffered Sunday at Chicago, per league sources

Ian Rapoport
@RapSheet
·
40m

I get the impression it's a minimum of 3-4 weeks, maybe closer to 6 as you are posting.
That field was atrocious, I'm sure the footing was not good. Did it happen on a tackle or when he was trying to make a cut? Curious.
I think that’s a fair thing to bring up. Yeah, the guy has had a lot of injuries, but that field was professional malpractice yesterday. The Bears seriously should be heavily fined and should start having draft picks taken away if their field continues to be in such awful shape. They had significant problems last year as well. It’s inexcusable and it’s putting guys’ careers in jeopardy.

Per Schefter:

49ers’ RB Elijah Mitchell is expected to be sidelined about two months with the sprained MCL that he suffered Sunday at Chicago, per league sources
That's depressing. I drafted Mitchell as the RB2 on multiple teams, I'm always looking for deep drafts and have a few options but this will definitely hamper things.

I got him off Waivers last year in dynasty, so he was basically free. Been trying to sell him all along and no one wants to pay anything too substantial. Just got that much worse. I'll stash him on IR and hope the situation works out when he gets back.

Dumb man look at board and 49ers RBs and thinks: Shanahanigans

Midwit look at board and RBs and thinks "if only Elijah Mitchell could stay healthy and Wilson is number two and Tyrion Davis Price runs a 4.8 and Mason could fill-in if he gets hurt..."

Wise man look at board and 49ers RBs and thinks: Shanahanigans

Paging Mr. Mason, paging Mr. Mason, pickup the white courtesy phone and take over this backfield :pickle:

You're asking a guy with this athletic testing to run the 49ers backfield.

Let me do a Bugs Bunny:

No.

Users who are viewing this thread