What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Kendre Miller, NO (1 Viewer)

Russell Brown @RussNFLDraft

Studying the tape of TCU RB Kendre Miller has been an absolute joy. One of the more overlooked RBs in this class, Miller is a physical runner that has good contact balance & unique cutting ability. He plays with patience & sees the field well while running through tacklers.

Good stuff as always…although I wish these guys would stop calling every RB not named Bijan or Gibbs overlooked.

Studying the tape of TCU RB Kendre Miller has been an absolute joy. One of the more overlooked RBs in this class, Miller is a physical runner that has good contact balance & unique cutting ability. He plays with patience & sees the field well while running through tacklers.

Good stuff as always…although I wish these guys would stop calling every RB not named Bijan or Gibbs overlooked.
Agree with this. With the Internet, everything has to be a superlative. Most underrated, most overlooked, etc.

Bijan is tier 1.
Gibbs is tier 2.

After that a lot of the guys all kind of blend together. That doesn't mean anyone is overlooked. It's just hard to differentiate them. Tucker is my favorite of the rest, but it's hardly a hill I'm about to die on.

I think Zach Evans looks great. Then I watch Tank Bigsby and think wow, this guy looks every bit as good.

We'll be able to differentiate them a little bit better once the combine takes place.

After that a lot of the guys all kind of blend together. That doesn't mean anyone is overlooked. It's just hard to differentiate them. Tucker is my favorite of the rest, but it's hardly a hill I'm about to die on.
Yes, after Gibbs it gets tough to sort them out but so many that look good.

I think I used Tucker as an example previously to illustrate how difficult that next tier is to rank. You got him tentatively at 3, a lot of people do, I've seen some brave souls put him at 2. Then I look at someone like Dane Brugler who put him as RB14 and then recently came out with this top 100 rankings and had 10 RB's and none of them were Tucker. And I don't bring that up to try and be negative on Tucker, just highlighting how difficult it is to rank that next group. As you pointed out the combine will sort some out, but when the pack is this close I don't think we'll really be able to do a lot of sorting until we know draft spots.

And fwiw since this is the Miller thread he was the last RB to crack Brugler's top 100, checking in at player 92.

Daniel Harms @InHarmsWay19
Kendre Miller isn’t being talked about enough! Excellent contact balance, underrated vision, and burst/speed combination to grind out tough yards!

Dante @Paydirt_Profile
As RB prospects we like to see pass catching ability, but it's rare that you have a back where it's truly a strength (route running chops, aligned out wide, etc.) For me it's a "strength," a "pass," or a "fail."

RB3 Kendre Miller
✅ Pass

Didn’t run at pro day due to said injury, which might help keep him under the radar. Probably my favourite RB outside of the top couple of guys. Got the size and that lateral movement is very good

Any thoughts what his 40 would have been? He’s not a burner but looks plenty fast to me. Doesn’t get caught from behind in the open field from what I’ve seen.

Maybe something like 4.48-4.54?

Any thoughts what his 40 would have been? He’s not a burner but looks plenty fast to me. Doesn’t get caught from behind in the open field from what I’ve seen.

Curious minds want to know .... as I have him as a target at 2.01 or 2.03 picks ...
Not that 40 time is the primary value, it might make me move sooner than later pending the time.
FWIW - late Feb, I was hoping late 2nd would be a spot to acquire him, now he is making more "subtle noise" and rising some.

Curious minds want to know .... as I have him as a target at 2.01 or 2.03 picks ...
Not that 40 time is the primary value, it might make me move sooner than later pending the time.
FWIW - late Feb, I was hoping late 2nd would be a spot to acquire him, now he is making more "subtle noise" and rising some.

It's anybody's guess how those RBs go in both the NFL and fantasy drafts...if you like one better than the rest your best bet is to pull the trigger earlier than later.

It's anybody's guess how those RBs go in both the NFL and fantasy drafts...if you like one better than the rest your best bet is to pull the trigger earlier than later.

I plan to let the draft sort out RB3-RBX for the most part. Have a couple favorites I want to see land well but between draft capital and landing spot, figure there will be some clear tier breaks revealed soon enough.

There’s a good 12-15 backs I’m interested in or, to put it another way, I don’t really dislike any of the chalk names at this point. That will change after the draft I’m sure. Several will elevate, several will cross themselves off my list, and I’ll have to sort out like 6-8 guys.

Not doing all that work until the list gets smaller though.

I plan to let the draft sort out RB3-RBX for the most part. Have a couple favorites I want to see land well but between draft capital and landing spot, figure there will be some clear tier breaks revealed soon enough.

There’s a good 12-15 backs I’m interested in or, to put it another way, I don’t really dislike any of the chalk names at this point. That will change after the draft I’m sure. Several will elevate, several will cross themselves off my list, and I’ll have to sort out like 6-8 guys.

Not doing all that work until the list gets smaller though.
You could not have summed up my thought process any more concisely.

I've been doing redrafts so in that case I don't have luxury of waitin for the draft and you never see me taking RB3 or RB4, I'm the guy trying to load up on rookie RB's in the 8-14 range because trying to sort out 3+ seems like an exercise in futility right now, especially so in redafts where I don't have time to just bet on talent hoping it rises.

I was listening to a podcast that said his calculated/expected 40 time was estimated at 4.42

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports TCU RB Kendre Miller has top-30 visits lined up with the Giants, Bills, and Cardinals this week.

Miller has emerged as a possible Day 2 pick and one of the better running backs on the board after the seemingly-consensus top two of Bijan Robinson and Jhamyr Gibbs. His draft landing spot will need to be good for him to vault up the dynasty rankings, but he's got a chance to pull that off.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Apr 11, 2023 at 3:58 PM ET

TCU RB Kendre Miller is making a top-30 visit with the Lions.​

Miller has made pre-draft visits with the Jaguars, Bills, Giants, and Cardinals this month. Last year at TCU, Miller, 20, broke out with 1,399 rushing yards and 17 touchdowns, adding 16 catches for 116 yards. He was among the most elusive, efficient running backs in college football last season as a highly-productive part of the potent TCU offense. Miller landing in Detroit will be highly problematic for both D'Andre Swift and David Montgomery. It would be surprising if the Lions use much draft capital on their backfield.
RELATED:
SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter
Apr 19, 2023, 9:23 AM ET

Saints selected TCU RB Kendre Miller with the No. 71 overall pick in the 2023 NFL Draft.​

Miller (5’/11/215) didn’t get the ball much during his first two years at TCU but emerged as an explosive option between the tackles. He rushed 244 times for 1,399 yards and 17 touchdowns. Miller isn’t a bruiser, but he’s quick to put his foot in the ground and shows incredible burst at the line of scrimmage and when turning the corner to work upfield. He also doesn’t go down on first contact. Pro Football Focus charted him with 816 yards after contact last year. Miller wasn’t used as a pass-catcher at TCU and isn’t likely to add that skill to his repertoire in the NFL. With his size and tenacity, he should be able to handle the bulk of a team’s carries in the NFL. With things uncertain for Alvin Kamara, Miller could position himself to be the team’s running back of the future.
Apr 28, 2023 at 9:42 PM ET

Honestly, I’m getting tempted to take him 1.09 in my SF. Doubt he’s in danger of being taken by other people for a few spots so will try to trade back. Just like the player. Sometimes just gotta go with your guys.

I’m not able to wrap my head around the idea of letting these rbs fall so late. These guys are going after cook Robinson Gibson and spiller from last year quite often. Especially since the wrs were viewed as a weakness and the rbs a strength pre draft. I guess I’ll be reaching this year.

Saints assistant GM Jeff Ireland said Kendre Miller has "huge upside."​

"It all goes back to height, weight and speed. Loved his running style. He’s a down-hill runner, runs with great pad level. He's got explosive breakaway speed in the open field. He's creative. He makes people miss ... And we just felt like, man, this is too good to be true," Ireland told Jeff Duncan of the Times-Picayune. With Alvin Kamara at least somewhat likely to draw a suspension this year, Miller could be relevant in fantasy leagues quickly. Ireland did concede that Miller would have to "clean up" his pass protection, but that he thought it was just a matter of "coaching him up."
SOURCE: Times-Picayune
May 7, 2023, 1:19 PM ET

I ended up loading up on him a bit more then I anticipated heading into my drafts this weekend. I know I had pick 10 in one league I have Kamara and picks 9/11 in another league I have Kamara and both of those teams only carry 3 other RB's, some who are shaky so RB was a major need. I was targeting him in those leagues and did end up drafting him in those places but also ended up drafting him in 3 other leagues so went super heavy on him, to a point I finally had to go against my rankings a tad and deviate, was just getting to heavy.

A lot to like here if you ask me. Young, won't turn 21 until June. Only one season as a full time player so the usage is low. Good size, power, and I don't know how fast he runs but when I watch his games he's pulling away most of the time.

He's probably not a great option for 2023. Any games Kamara might get suspended or there is an injury to Jamaal or Kamara he'd probably share in a RBBC and be ok. But decent chance they move on from Kamara after next season. They'll still have Jamaal likely in 2024 but he'll be 29 and he's not that good anyway IMO.

My money is on him being the primary Saints RB in 2024 while providing suspension insurance for Kamara and injury insurance to both AK and Jamaal for this season. In this draft class that was pretty appealing to me as a late round one option.

I ended up loading up on him a bit more then I anticipated heading into my drafts this weekend. I know I had pick 10 in one league I have Kamara and picks 9/11 in another league I have Kamara and both of those teams only carry 3 other RB's, some who are shaky so RB was a major need. I was targeting him in those leagues and did end up drafting him in those places but also ended up drafting him in 3 other leagues so went super heavy on him, to a point I finally had to go against my rankings a tad and deviate, was just getting to heavy.

A lot to like here if you ask me. Young, won't turn 21 until June. Only one season as a full time player so the usage is low. Good size, power, and I don't know how fast he runs but when I watch his games he's pulling away most of the time.

He's probably not a great option for 2023. Any games Kamara might get suspended or there is an injury to Jamaal or Kamara he'd probably share in a RBBC and be ok. But decent chance they move on from Kamara after next season. They'll still have Jamaal likely in 2024 but he'll be 29 and he's not that good anyway IMO.

My money is on him being the primary Saints RB in 2024 while providing suspension insurance for Kamara and injury insurance to both AK and Jamaal for this season. In this draft class that was pretty appealing to me as a late round one option.
While I don't disagree, and also have him as a late 1st value, he's a prime example of why I love trading late 1sts for future 1sts

I don't know how fast he runs but when I watch his games he's pulling away most of the time.

Okay, guess I will say something. He looked like one of the fastest backs in the defensive second-level in his class even though everybody questioned his top speed. He seems like he's always pulling away and not getting caught. Of course that will change in the pros, but I hope his meniscus allows him to show his full potential. I wouldn't have drafted him as early as I did if I didn't have confidence in the top speed from tape and highlights.

I like his youth, style and situation more than most seem to. In a vacuum I prefer him to Achane, Kincaid and all the WRs outside of JSN, even though I typically value first and second round receivers over mid round runnning backs.

Is the main reason people aren't jazzed about him because of Kamara and Williams? Those seem like low, short-term bars to clear. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a viable starter by week 10. Though I also think NO's offense could be sneaky good this year.

Is the main reason people aren't jazzed about him because of Kamara and Williams?

I think people see him as a bit of a lumbering runner, which is where I think the mainstream press has really missed the boat on him. Constantly pulling away in videos. I could be totally wrong or just have really whiffed on that assessment, but TCU played a respectable schedule and he seems to be dusting guys.

I like his youth, style and situation more than most seem to. In a vacuum I prefer him to Achane, Kincaid and all the WRs outside of JSN, even though I typically value first and second round receivers over mid round runnning backs.

Is the main reason people aren't jazzed about him because of Kamara and Williams? Those seem like low, short-term bars to clear. I wouldn't be surprised if he's a viable starter by week 10. Though I also think NO's offense could be sneaky good this year.
I've got him as my RB3 and in TE premium single QB leagues my 6th ranked player overall but would be 5th in non-TE premium.

I think some people are not jazzed up on him for a variety of reasons. Rockaction mentioned one which is perception he's not fast and no combine or pro day testing to put people at ease. I think the crowded RB room you mention is a big factor. Kind of reminds me of when Kamara got drafted by the Saints and people were turned off because they had Ingram and had signed ADP that off-season. Lastly, and my personal biggest knock on him, is he's not done a lot in the passing game. That may very likely be a function of he's just not been asked to do it, I did see him make a few nice plays in the passing game and he seems confident in his ability but Saints themselves were saying last week that pass protection is big area he needs to work on. I personally think he's going to be ok in this area, at least on an Ingram type level.

Probably only area I might see it differently then you is that I think its' going to be hard for him to flat out overtake one of RB's, not impossible because he might have so much more juice then them but difficult. My guess is if they had it to do over again they'd not have signed Jamaal to that contract but it's done and they've shown a fairly strong financial commitment to both of those vet RB's. Jamaal's got his salary guaranteed for 2024 and they converted Kamara's salary into a bonus(which will save him over $400K for any game he's suspended).

But odds are things will work themselves out and he'll have some games as at least the #2. Obviously Kamara's possible suspension is one factor but I always like to say if RB needs an injury to ONE RB to see his role grow those odds are heavily increased when a team employs a RBBC and he needs an injury to 1 of 2 RB's. Considering these are two older RB's it's even more likely IMO.

I'm excited and drafted him 5x in the 9-12 range of drafts and I think in this weaker draft class got a steal. Actually mad at myself for deviating in a league and going away from him after I drafted him so many times.

Is the main reason people aren't jazzed about him because of Kamara and Williams?

I think people see him as a bit of a lumbering runner, which is where I think the mainstream press has really missed the boat on him. Constantly pulling away in videos. I could be totally wrong or just have really whiffed on that assessment, but TCU played a respectable schedule and he seems to be dusting guys.
If you are wrong we are both are because I saw the same thing. He was not only not getting caught but he jumped on his high horse and rode off from the pack.

He's one of two RB's I specifically went to look up videos of this, the other was Spears.

In Miller's case I was looking it up because we had no times on him. In Spears case I went to look at these runs because he timed slower then I expected and I wanted to see if it translated. It did. He's super quick with nice COD but even his huge game against USC he was routinely getting caught from behind. Kendre was having defenders just give up.

I've got him as my RB3 and in TE premium single QB leagues my 6th ranked player overall but would be 5th in non-TE premium.

This is where I drafted him. 1.05. 1 QB, non-TE premium. Moved up to get him because I figured he'd be gone by pick number twelve. I might be wrong about that and his talent, but I got who I wanted. Let's see if that was stupid or not. I can live with being wrong if the process was okay, and I think it was. He was the one guy all along in the process I thought I wanted that I had a realistic chance at getting. Passing on QJ and his value that will hold for a year was tough, but in the end...hey...made my decision and shot my shot.

This is where I drafted him. 1.05. 1 QB, non-TE premium. Moved up to get him because I figured he'd be gone by pick number twelve. I might be wrong about that and his talent, but I got who I wanted. Let's see if that was stupid or not. I can live with being wrong if the process was okay, and I think it was. He was the one guy all along in the process I thought I wanted that I had a realistic chance at getting. Passing on QJ and his value that will hold for a year was tough, but in the end...hey...made my decision and shot my shot.
I have been so happy to NOT SEE THIS THREAD BUMPED DAILY… as my draft starts tomorrow and he is my RB3 in this class (target 1.07 pick 1QB PPR TE-P)
And while you are reinforcing my view on him, can you wait 48 hours to continue this acclaim? I don’t know how many of my league mates lurk here…
I think NOS was thrilled he was available when selected. He offers them true RB value and long term potential when Jamaal & AK are riding pine

Got him at 1.12 in a 12 team 1QB. Was pleasantly surprised he dropped to me.

I burned a decent pick not to take that chance and the way the draft went, I'm not sure I wouldn't have gotten him at 1.12, so I don't advise doing what I did nor am I looking for confirmation I necessarily made the right move. All sorts of arguments pro and con. I might have jumped the gun and not let the draft come to me. I'll do that sometimes. I spent a future first-round pick two years ago to for that year's 2.04 and 2.5 and took Micah Parsons and Jamin Davis, so my impatience suited me well there. Let's hope Miller has the same career arc as Parsons.

Users who are viewing this thread