What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (4 Viewers)

speed= ypc ... sounds right :wall:
Edge never showed that kind of speed on the field.
Hell yes he did.
Jamaal Charles ran the same 40. Edge had the same speed on the field as Charles? That's ridiculous. Edge never had a season above 4.6 YPC, and he was in a Peyton Manning offense. Charles has a career YPC above 5.0. Let that sink in.
I dont think ypc directly translates intro speed. Not sure where you get that from. :mellow:
yea that's FBG for you though, guys make up their own theories and present their opinions as facts.. HAHA wow
LOL. Like a 6-2, 188-lb WR being the best in his class. LOL.

Over a large sample size, it holds true. Even thinking about theoretically, how does a RB like Edge who is supposedly is as fast as Charles not have enough big runs to average 5.0+ YPC in a Peyton Manning offense? How does a 28-year old Charles average 5.0 in an Alex Smith offense?

Last edited by a moderator:
Hell yes he did.
Jamaal Charles ran the same 40. Edge had the same speed on the field as Charles? That's ridiculous. Edge never had a season above 4.6 YPC, and he was in a Peyton Manning offense. Charles has a career YPC above 5.0. Let that sink in.
I dont think ypc directly translates intro speed. Not sure where you get that from. :mellow:
yea that's FBG for you though, guys make up their own theories and present their opinions as facts.. HAHA wow
Bingo.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11568/chargers-rb-coach-ollie-wilson-says-melvin-gordon-a-hard-worker-ahead-of-schedule

“What I’ve seen from him is No. 1, he’s a big-time competitor,” Wilson said. “He wants to compete in any situation that he’s in.

“This guy is in the building every day, even on weekends. One of our offensive line coaches was in here working out on Sunday morning, and Melvin was in here on the treadmill at 5 a.m. So it’s one of those situations where he came in with a great desire to be a great player, and now he’s trying to work at it in that situation, and we’ll see how it goes.”
Guy's going to be a stud.

http://espn.go.com/blog/san-diego-chargers/post/_/id/11568/chargers-rb-coach-ollie-wilson-says-melvin-gordon-a-hard-worker-ahead-of-schedule

“What I’ve seen from him is No. 1, he’s a big-time competitor,” Wilson said. “He wants to compete in any situation that he’s in.

“This guy is in the building every day, even on weekends. One of our offensive line coaches was in here working out on Sunday morning, and Melvin was in here on the treadmill at 5 a.m. So it’s one of those situations where he came in with a great desire to be a great player, and now he’s trying to work at it in that situation, and we’ll see how it goes.”
agreed have him as best rb in class.

Hell yes he did.
Agreed what games was Xue watching, and saying Gordon is fjax, please son you need to watch games actually. Gordon is a bigger Jamaal Charles, their is no one else he looks or plays like end of story. Everyone can see that.
LOL. You compared him to Charles and then say there is no one else he plays like. LOL.
Ok????? and your point?

Pipes said:
Xue said:

That's the Coach Kennedy influence right there.

Rotoworld take:

Chargers first-round RB Melvin Gordon was "as good as advertised" during offseason workouts.

Per ESPN Chargers reporter Eric Williams, Gordon was a "quick study" and "better than expected" in the passing game. He was spotted getting to work at 5 a.m. and on weekends. Chargers RBs coach Ollie Wilson was also pleased with what he saw, especially in pass protection. "He’s been able to handle that kind of stuff, and really go through," Wilson said. Gordon will be the clear leader of a backfield that will incorporate Danny Woodhead on passing downs.

Source: ESPN.com
Jun 25 - 9:11 AM

So does the Gates suspension mean the people that were drafting Gordon in the 20's in ppr will now start drafting him in the teens? On one side you have the #1 TD producer in the SD offense last season(by a large margin) off the field the first quarter of the season, and on the other side you have L.Green playing instead who is a much better run blocker than Gates. I would think the people that were high on Gordon before are through the moon with expectations of more TD's with less competition and a higher y/c with better blocking.

agreed have him as best rb in class.
I'm excited about Gordon and Gurley too with little chance they'll fall to me if I can't trade up.

But, to play devil's advocate, there is a trend in recent years for the "top" RBs to not live up to expectations. Conversely, rookie WRs have lit it up. The "3rd year WR break-out" theory is severely outdated. Blame it on increased passing or use of RBBCs. The value at the RB position has come from a little deeper (Alfred Morris, Jeremy Hill, CJ Anderson)

Reality check time for those expecting Melvin Gordon to be a three down, do all back out the gates? Maybe.

The Union-Tribune San Diego's Michael Gehlken expects Danny Woodhead to remain "a cog" for the Chargers "on third down and in the passing game."

Woodhead missed most of last season with a severe ankle/fibula fracture, but was healthy at OTAs and by all accounts looked sharp. Although the Chargers invested a top-15 pick into Melvin Gordon, the rookie is expected to focus on early downs while Woodhead fills his usual "Sproles Role" for Philip Rivers. Woodhead caught 76 balls in 2013, finishing as a top-13 PPR back.

Reality check time for those expecting Melvin Gordon to be a three down, do all back out the gates? Maybe.

The Union-Tribune San Diego's Michael Gehlken expects Danny Woodhead to remain "a cog" for the Chargers "on third down and in the passing game."

Woodhead missed most of last season with a severe ankle/fibula fracture, but was healthy at OTAs and by all accounts looked sharp. Although the Chargers invested a top-15 pick into Melvin Gordon, the rookie is expected to focus on early downs while Woodhead fills his usual "Sproles Role" for Philip Rivers. Woodhead caught 76 balls in 2013, finishing as a top-13 PPR back.
He doesn't need to be a 3 down back to be an RB1. Look at Matthews two years ago.

Anybody who follows the Chargers expects this to be RBBC. Gordon will get the majority of the carries but will be off the field in most passing situations at minimum.

Just wanting to point out that Woodhead's contract is up in 2017 with only a $2 million cap hit in 2016, so it's likely Gordon owners (including myself) might need to wait 2 years for a possible workhorse workload.

Just wanting to point out that Woodhead's contract is up in 2017 with only a $2 million cap hit in 2016, so it's likely Gordon owners (including myself) might need to wait 2 years for a possible workhorse workload.
Define "workhorse." Gordon isn't a guy who is likely to get 350-400 touches per season. That just doesn't seem realistic. Even if they get rid of Woodcock down the road.

I expect 15 carries and 2 receptions per game. Don't know what you guys call a "workhorse", but I think that should easily add up to high-end RB2 numbers.

True, but there are lots of folks who believe Gordon will put up stud numbers year 1. Solid yes. Stud, nope.

Chargers camp primer: Seeing Butler days

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/news/2015/jul/29/chargers-donald-butler-training-camp/

Excerpt:

• The latest first-round pick has shown promise, too. The Chargers are eager to see running back Melvin Gordon in pads Saturday. All evaluations have to be cushioned; it's early. The indications at this stage, however, are "incredibly, incredible positive," offensive coordinator Frank Reich said. "You can see he has great vision. You can see he has great patience. And he's just got great physical ability. ... I don't want to say too much because he's got to do it. But I'm just very excited about him, like off-the-charts excited."

Rotoworld:

U-T San Diego's Kevin Acee said rookie RB Melvin Gordon is struggling with pass protection in Chargers' camp.

Most rookies struggle in pass protection, but Gordon's issues are compounded by his lack of experience as a receiver. With Danny Woodhead on the roster, there is little reason for the Chargers to put Gordon in passing situations in which he is unlikely to succeed. Gordon should get the majority of the early-down work for San Diego, but he is unlikely to be heavily involved in the passing game this season.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter
Aug 1 - 1:10 PM

Rotoworld:

U-T San Diego's Kevin Acee said rookie RB Melvin Gordon is struggling with pass protection in Chargers' camp.

Most rookies struggle in pass protection, but Gordon's issues are compounded by his lack of experience as a receiver. With Danny Woodhead on the roster, there is little reason for the Chargers to put Gordon in passing situations in which he is unlikely to succeed. Gordon should get the majority of the early-down work for San Diego, but he is unlikely to be heavily involved in the passing game this season.

Source: Kevin Acee on Twitter
Aug 1 - 1:10 PM
Not surprising.

Not surprising. As noted in this post, pass protection and pass catching are known weaknesses for Gordon.
His pass protection likely needs work, but so far, all reports are that he's catching the ball extremely well, away from his body, naturally, and not dropping balls.

His weakness at catching balls seems to have been overblown based on reports so far since joining the Chargers.

Not surprising. As noted in this post, pass protection and pass catching are known weaknesses for Gordon.
His pass protection likely needs work, but so far, all reports are that he's catching the ball extremely well, away from his body, naturally, and not dropping balls.

His weakness at catching balls seems to have been overblown based on reports so far since joining the Chargers.
False. From Chargers Training Camp Notes: July 30th, 2015:

Garrett Sisti
‏@GarrettSisti
Gordon 4 out of 5 on catches in individual drills. 1 drop. Looks timid catching the ball, multiple body catches
Sisti is a writer for the BoltsFromTheBlue Chargers blog. More from today:

UTKevinAcee
‏@UTKevinAcee
Melvin Gordon is gonna have tons of yards, be exciting ... But thru 3 days it's clear he's not playing 3 downs w/o much improvement blocking
You say above that "all reports" say that he is catching the ball well. What reports? I am a Chargers fan, I live in San Diego, I listen to Chargers talk radio every day, and I follow the team news... and I haven't seen or heard any such reports.

As I posted previously in this thread, Woodhead is going to be the guy on passing downs.

False. From Chargers Training Camp Notes: July 30th, 2015:

Garrett Sisti
‏@GarrettSisti
Gordon 4 out of 5 on catches in individual drills. 1 drop. Looks timid catching the ball, multiple body catches
Sisti is a writer for the BoltsFromTheBlue Chargers blog. More from today:

UTKevinAcee
‏@UTKevinAcee
Melvin Gordon is gonna have tons of yards, be exciting ... But thru 3 days it's clear he's not playing 3 downs w/o much improvement blocking
You say above that "all reports" say that he is catching the ball well. What reports? I am a Chargers fan, I live in San Diego, I listen to Chargers talk radio every day, and I follow the team news... and I haven't seen or heard any such reports.

As I posted previously in this thread, Woodhead is going to be the guy on passing downs.
I'm glad you're a Charger's fan and live in San DIego and listen to talk radio every day. And I do understand the value that has. That said, I've been following Gordon very closely and have read virtually everything on him before and after the draft.

I'm very aware of all the talk that his pass catching was a weakness heading into the draft.

--During his pro day, he focused on showcasing his receiving skills. The videos are out there as are multiple reports of him that day. Here's one and here's another

--Heading into rookie camp, there were a couple mentions of him catching passes and looking good doing it. Here's one report (cached since site is down). In particular, both Eric Wililams and Michael Gehlken were the two guys on twitter that were reporting about him. There are specific tweets about him from both describing balls he was catching and what he did with them. There were no reports at that time that he was struggling catching the ball

Here are a couple specific tweets:

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams May 15Melvin Gordon showed good hands catching a swing route out of the backfield in team drills. Denzel Perryman could not keep up.
Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams Jun 10Video: Melvin Gordon's ability as a pass catcher is underrated http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13037416
--Phillip Rivers actually made a comment when OTAs started that he hadn't seen Gordon drop a pass. I don't have the link handy but I can go searching for it if you want.

--Both of the comments you listed above are from the last couple days in training camp. I haven't kept up the last couple days due to work and hadn't seen anything until Acee's latest report.

When I said "all reports", I was talking about everything leading up to now. The word was that Gordon was weak at pass catching and that commentary started because he never caught the ball while at Wisconsin. Since graduating, he's shown on multiple occasions that he can indeed catch the ball, especially since that's something that EVERYONE is focusing on. If you can find a report prior to the start of Training Camp from any beat writers or attendees of rookie camp or OTAs that mention him showing a weakness catching the ball, I'd love to see it because I never saw a single one and I was looking every. single. day. specifically for that.

Now, the above doesn't mean that I think he's going to supplant Woodhead as the pass catching back at all. Woodhead is almost certainly a better receiver at this point (and probably always will be) and is certainly better in pass-pro. My comment was more about this idea that he has a specific weakness at catching balls. Prior to these reports the last couple days, the exact opposite was being said and written about, especially from local beat writers. And I don't have to live in San Diego to be able to follow along with those things.

Last edited by a moderator:
gianmarco said:
--During his pro day, he focused on showcasing his receiving skills. The videos are out there as are multiple reports of him that day. Here's one and here's another
The first link shows one video that shows him making one catch in shorts with no defenders. The second link contains an interview with him during which he says he caught the ball well at the pro day and a single statement from the author that he "looked pretty good catching the ball."

gianmarco said:
--Heading into rookie camp, there were a couple mentions of him catching passes and looking good doing it. Here's one report (cached since site is down).
This link says he caught one flat pass in stride during practices that were run in shorts and not at full speed.

gianmarco said:
In particular, both Eric Wililams and Michael Gehlken were the two guys on twitter that were reporting about him. There are specific tweets about him from both describing balls he was catching and what he did with them. There were no reports at that time that he was struggling catching the ball

Here are a couple specific tweets:

Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams May 15

Melvin Gordon showed good hands catching a swing route out of the backfield in team drills. Denzel Perryman could not keep up.
Eric Williams ‏@eric_d_williams Jun 10

Video: Melvin Gordon's ability as a pass catcher is underrated http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=13037416
The first Williams tweet is about the same exact swing pass mentioned in the previous link.

The second video is Williams saying what is stated in the tweet, that he is underrated as a pass catcher. The only evidence/substance behind the statement is Williams saying Rivers said he has looked good. This is the definition of a fluff piece IMO. What do you think Rivers is going to say about his rookie RB? Do you think he is going to be critical of his pass catching? That isn't Rivers' style.

gianmarco said:
The word was that Gordon was weak at pass catching and that commentary started because he never caught the ball while at Wisconsin. Since graduating, he's shown on multiple occasions that he can indeed catch the ball, especially since that's something that EVERYONE is focusing on. If you can find a report prior to the start of Training Camp from any beat writers or attendees of rookie camp or OTAs that mention him showing a weakness catching the ball, I'd love to see it because I never saw a single one and I was looking every. single. day. specifically for that.
I disagree with the bolded. I already posted draft profile links that stated he fought the ball, caught with his body, etc. It was not merely a lack of opportunity.

No, I didn't see or hear mention of him struggling in rookie camp of OTAs. Nor did I see or hear any (substantive) mention that he was doing well in that area. It was rookie camp and OTAs. :shrug:

Now it's training camp, and he is struggling at pass protection and reportedly is not looking good as a receiver. :shrug:

gianmarco said:
Now, the above doesn't mean that I think he's going to supplant Woodhead as the pass catching back at all. Woodhead is almost certainly a better receiver at this point (and probably always will be) and is certainly better in pass-pro. My comment was more about this idea that he has a specific weakness at catching balls. Prior to these reports the last couple days, the exact opposite was being said and written about, especially from local beat writers. And I don't have to live in San Diego to be able to follow along with those things.
Almost certainly? :lmao:

In 2011-12, his last two seasons playing for Norv Turner, Ryan Mathews caught 89 passes in 26 games. Under McCoy in 2013-14, Mathews caught 35 passes in 22 games... while Woodhead caught 81 passes in 19 games. I see no reason to expect McCoy to change his RB usage with Gordon, at least not this season, particularly given that he is struggling in pass protection.

Your group of links don't show anything of substance that would change my expectation for his receiving ability. But as a Chargers fan, I hope to be proven wrong. I would love it if Gordon is the second coming of LT, I just don't expect it.

Ok, you win. None of those opinions during his pro day, OTAs and minicamp mean anything. Appreciate your local input.

You don't have to back out of the thread, that's childish. Your local perspective and willingness to support claims with evidence is valuable to the forum. Just don't respond to disagreements as if they were intended to offend you personally...

So: how long before Gordon is a 3-down back? Half a season? One season? Two?

So: how long before Gordon is a 3-down back? Half a season? One season? Two?
Possibly not till Woodhead's contract is up. No knock on Gordon but Woodhead has been one of the best 3rd down backs in football, and the Chargers would want that value from him, no?

So that would be two more years, at the earliest.

That said, I am not as big a believer in Woodhead as Just Win. Woodhead will turn 31 during the season, comes off a fractured fibula and ankle, and was already showing signs of aging in 2014 before going down for the season. Probably still great for dump-offs, but hardly a big play threat anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back and catches 80 balls, but won't bet on it.

You don't have to back out of the thread, that's childish. Your local perspective and willingness to support claims with evidence is valuable to the forum. Just don't respond to disagreements as if they were intended to offend you personally...
I haven't been offended by anyone. Moving on.

So that would be two more years, at the earliest.

That said, I am not as big a believer in Woodhead as Just Win. Woodhead will turn 31 during the season, comes off a fractured fibula and ankle, and was already showing signs of aging in 2014 before going down for the season. Probably still great for dump-offs, but hardly a big play threat anymore. I wouldn't be shocked if he comes back and catches 80 balls, but won't bet on it.
Comments:

1. IMO Woodhead's injury from last year is irrelevant going forward. There is no reason to believe it will linger in any way or otherwise cause him to be more susceptible to additional injury. If anything, it means he is further removed from the abuse a RB takes, since he missed almost all of last season.

2. IMO it is hard to take anything substantive from Woodhead's performance last year. The sample size was small -- he only played 69 snaps before the injury -- and both games in which he played more than one snap were against good defenses (@ARI, SEA). Also, the Chargers starting center was lost for the season after just 16 snaps, so the OL, which was poor to begin with, was in flux in both of his games.

He rushed 15 times for 38 yards, which is poor, but the team was #31 in YPC, so it wasn't all Woodhead. He caught 5 of 6 targets for 34 yards, with 33 yards after the catch. 4 of his catches went for first downs, and the other catch gained 6 yards on 1st and 10. He was very effective on those plays, just as he had been in previous years. I watched the games, and did not see any signs of aging.

3. To the bolded, his role isn't to be a big play threat. His role is to move the chains and help keep the offense in favorable down/distance situations. And he is great at it.

4. I agree he probably won't have 80 catches, but he should be a lock for 50+ if he stays healthy. He brings an element to the offense that no other player on the roster brings. Consider that in 2013, Mathews was 4th in the NFL with 285 carries, yet Woodhead played more offensive snaps (504 to 480). That is a sign of how much the coaching staff wants him on the field. I would be surprised if he has more snaps than Gordon, but I do think he will play a lot.

5. I also wouldn't necessarily assume that this coaching staff will give Woodhead's role to Gordon when Woodhead becomes ineffective or moves on. UDFA Oliver showed a lot of quickness and burst last season and good potential as a receiver -- PFF gave him the 5th highest receiving grade among all RBs in the NFL last season. If he continues to progress, the coaching staff will also want to see him on the field, and they could attempt to groom him as Woodhead's successor.

I'm not paying the current price tag for Gordon in drafts. Too many "assumptions." I want the sure thing early in drafts.

I'm not paying the current price tag for Gordon in drafts. Too many "assumptions." I want the sure thing early in drafts.
I could say the same thing about every single rookie this year. Cooper is the only one I MIGHT be comfortable with at his ADP. I just can't imagine him not getting most of the targets.

I could say the same thing about every single rookie this year. Cooper is the only one I MIGHT be comfortable with at his ADP. I just can't imagine him not getting most of the targets.
I could imagine concerns with him as well. Supposedly, Crabtree is looking good. Derek Carr is also not the best downfield QB. I am sure Amari will get a good chunk of targets, but no guarantees that would be enough volume to secure the production expected at his ADP.

Reports on Gordon's receiving in TC today:

Jordan Lee
‏@jordantlee
If Gordon has to catch a ball away from his body, it might be an issue.
3:10 PM - 5 Aug 2015

Garrett Sisti
‏@GarrettSisti
Melvin Gordon with a drop early, let's the next one come into his body. Work in progress
3:12 PM - 5 Aug 2015

Garrett Sisti
‏@GarrettSisti
Quick dump off to Melvin Gordon, big gainer. Get him space.
3:48 PM - 5 Aug 2015

So far, all news to date seems to show that Gordon looks very good as a runner and doesn't look good as a receiver or in pass protection. It seems likely he will improve in those two areas over the course of camp and preseason, but it doesn't seem likely that he will surpass the other RBs on the team in those areas.

Based on how this coaching staff handled Mathews, that makes it unlikely that Gordon will practice or play in the hurry up, 2 minute, and/or 4 minute offenses.

However, there is good news:

1. He reportedly looks very good as a runner. He should be a lock for early/running down snaps and at least 240 carries (15/game).

2. The Chargers OL is likely to be significantly improved at run blocking. I mean significantly. They had the worst OG play in the NFL last season, and now they have added Orlando Franklin at LG and seem to have (finally) made the decision to move Fluker inside to RG and start Barksdale at RT. Plus, last season, the team had to use 5 centers due to injuries, so that position should be upgraded, even if only through better health. This will not only help Gordon, it will also likely influence the playcalling to be a bit more run heavy (like down the stretch in 2013).

3. In 2013, Mathews was #4 in the NFL in rushing attempts and finished around RB #12, depending on fantasy scoring. He did that even though he played fewer snaps than Woodhead. Mathews also did that despite scoring only 7 TDs, and Gordon certainly has the potential to exceed that number. So even though Gordon is unlikely to be a 3 down back, the potential is there for strong fantasy production.

Hell yes he did.
Agreed what games was Xue watching, and saying Gordon is fjax, please son you need to watch games actually. Gordon is a bigger Jamaal Charles, their is no one else he looks or plays like end of story. Everyone can see that.
LOL. You compared him to Charles and then say there is no one else he plays like. LOL.
Ok????? and your point?
Charles is lightyears faster than James. Speed was never Edge's thing. Those two backs are totally different.

Hell yes he did.
Ok????? and your point?
Charles is lightyears faster than James. Speed was never Edge's thing. Those two backs are totally different.
Shiftier?

Didnt they run the same 4.38? Same 3-cone. And James had a faster shuttle. With 16 more pounds.

James rarely broke off big runs and never ran away from anyone. Charles, on the other hand....

I live Edge for the record. Was my favorite player for a while.

James rarely broke off big runs and never ran away from anyone. Charles, on the other hand....

I live Edge for the record. Was my favorite player for a while.
Surprised to see it but Edge's longest run after his rookie year was 43 yards.

JWB is correct in that the Chargers love Woodhead both on designed screens and as an outlet for Rivers, but if Gordon is truly the superstar the Chargers hope he is (and the reports overall have been glowing) it will be hard to keep that big play ability off the field.

Rotoworld:

After attending Chargers camp, CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports Melvin Gordon's pass protection "remains a work in progress."

Gordon was a willing-but-deficient pass protector at Wisconsin. Pass protection is an attribute that can be taught, but one with which rookie running backs often struggle. Gordon's continued pass-protection woes will likely result in him getting pulled on all passing downs in favor of Danny Woodhead.

Source: CBS Sports
Aug 12 - 2:38 PM

Users who are viewing this thread