What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Melvin Gordon, BAL (1 Viewer)

I don't have an exact figure to quote, but it seems once permission to seek a trade is given, a trade usually follows like 90% of the time.

Tampa Bay makes the most sense, they'd need to structure a Gordon deal so that he'd almost make less money this year, but he'd likely be ok with that, if the long term money was top notch. 

Who else makes sense?

Houston(Hyde isn't stopping interest)

Green Bay maybe(I like Jones, but they have the money, and Gordon is a local)

Jacksonville(no secret Fournette is on thin ice, though reports have been positive of late)

Miami(have money, don't seem to have a plan)
all those spots sound way worse than his current team... ugh. i mean even green bay doesnt make that much sense to me as they like aaron jones

Last edited by a moderator:
No one has mentioned that not only would you have to trade something of value to get Gordon, that team would also pony up big money to extended him. How many teams are in a situation where they have the cap room, have the need, and would have a RB grouping that would need that sort of upgrade? 

No one has mentioned that not only would you have to trade something of value to get Gordon, that team would also pony up big money to extended him. How many teams are in a situation where they have the cap room, have the need, and would have a RB grouping that would need that sort of upgrade? 
Houston would, but they just traded for Hyde.

That is why I think a 3rd rounder gets it done. Its higher than a comp pick would be, and a year earlier, which is possibly important with Rivers getting up there. Also allows LA to start looking to re-sign Rivers, Henry, Pouncey, maybe Bosa?

We can probably rule out Houston now, since they don't have any picks. Unless they offer a 2 in 2021 or something.

That is why I think a 3rd rounder gets it done. Its higher than a comp pick would be, and a year earlier, which is possibly important with Rivers getting up there. Also allows LA to start looking to re-sign Rivers, Henry, Pouncey, maybe Bosa?

We can probably rule out Houston now, since they don't have any picks. Unless they offer a 2 in 2021 or something.
Tampa on the clock.

Would any team give anything for him? Just asking hypothetically as would any team be willing to meet his contract demands.

Tampa seems to make the most sense. Can't think of any other team that really would.  Although most of Miami's moves haven't made much sense so maybe they'd be second.

It is very hard for me to believe there is any team that meets these criteria:

1. Willing to invest a David Johnson level contract in a feature RB
  2. Has the available cap space to do so
  3. Willing to trade sufficient compensation to the Chargers for them to be willing to trade him
Regarding #3, the compensation has to be enough to offset this:

1. The value to the Chargers, which views itself as a Super Bowl contender, of Gordon coming back later this season, ramping up, and playing at theoretically full strength and with fresh legs in the playoffs.
  2. The value to the Chargers of communicating the message it wants to communicate to its next wave of 5th year option players: Bosa, Mike Williams, James, Tillery.
  3. The expected 3rd round compensatory pick the Chargers will get once Gordon leaves in free agency.
Someone said above that a 3rd could get it done. I doubt it very seriously. I think it would take a 2nd, maybe 2 3rds, maybe a mix of a pick and a player who could make an impact for the Chargers. (And the Chargers have a deep roster other than at OL, so any player who would make impact probably has to be an OT, and I very seriously doubt any team would move one after roster cutdowns.)

It is very hard for me to believe there is any team that meets these criteria:

1. Willing to invest a David Johnson level contract in a feature RB
  2. Has the available cap space to do so
  3. Willing to trade sufficient compensation to the Chargers for them to be willing to trade him
Regarding #3, the compensation has to be enough to offset this:

1. The value to the Chargers, which views itself as a Super Bowl contender, of Gordon coming back later this season, ramping up, and playing at theoretically full strength and with fresh legs in the playoffs.
  2. The value to the Chargers of communicating the message it wants to communicate to its next wave of 5th year option players: Bosa, Mike Williams, James, Tillery.
  3. The expected 3rd round compensatory pick the Chargers will get once Gordon leaves in free agency.
Someone said above that a 3rd could get it done. I doubt it very seriously. I think it would take a 2nd, maybe 2 3rds, maybe a mix of a pick and a player who could make an impact for the Chargers. (And the Chargers have a deep roster other than at OL, so any player who would make impact probably has to be an OT, and I very seriously doubt any team would move one after roster cutdowns.)
As for the second #1, I think that is wishful thinking. Do you think a peeved Gordon, forced to show up for the last 6 games to be able to move on next year, is going to have much interest in giving 110%? IMO, it's more likely he shows up overweight and out of shape, plays at about 50% effort, and becomes a disruptive force like Bell was . . . and if the Chargers threaten to franchise him next year it will REALLY get ugly.

As for the second #1, I think that is wishful thinking. Do you think a peeved Gordon, forced to show up for the last 6 games to be able to move on next year, is going to have much interest in giving 110%? IMO, it's more likely he shows up overweight and out of shape, plays at about 50% effort, and becomes a disruptive force like Bell was . . . and if the Chargers threaten to franchise him next year it will REALLY get ugly.
Completely disagree.

Bell didn't have to report and be in the building with his teammates and coaches. Gordon does. That is a powerful thing.

Furthermore, Bell didn't have to show up and play before he hit the market. Gordon does, and how he plays and what condition he is in could affect his market value next offseason, particularly if he shows up overweight and out of shape, plays at 50% effort, and is disruptive, as you suggest.

IMO the best thing he could do is hold out however long he and his agent think is the max number of games - in order to guarantee he remains healthy for that period - then report, ramp up slowly, and play as well as he possibly can down the stretch and in the playoffs. If he plays well and helps the team to be successful, it will increase his market value.

https://www.rotoworld.com/football/nfl/player/9032/melvin-gordon

Chargers GM Tom Telesco has informed holdout RB Melvin Gordon that contract negotiations will be suspended until after the season.

Gordon will now have to decide if his weekly game check ($330,000) is worth risking an injury that would jeopardize a long-term contract. That decision hasn't been announced, but we'll find out shortly. Gordon has to show up by Week 10 for this season to count towards his free agency, so this isn't exactly a Le'Veon Bell situation. With the Chargers bye week not until Week 12, Gordon could miss more than half of the season if he chooses. If so, Austin Ekeler and Justin Jackson will split work in what should be a 60/40 timeshare.

SOURCE: Daniel Popper on Twitter

Sep 1, 2019, 3:18 PM ET

Barf. 

Looks like a wasted season for Gordon owners. Really sucks for dynasty leagues - wasting a contract year. 

The NFLPA really needs to get the rookie signing wage for RB’s figured out. If they don’t, we are going to constantly have elite backs holding out. 

Perhaps RB’s should only get 2yr deals coming out of college. Gives them a chance to get the big pay day earlier on in their career.

Barf. 

Looks like a wasted season for Gordon owners. Really sucks for dynasty leagues - wasting a contract year. 

The NFLPA really needs to get the rookie signing wage for RB’s figured out. If they don’t, we are going to constantly have elite backs holding out. 

Perhaps RB’s should only get 2yr deals coming out of college. Gives them a chance to get the big pay day earlier on in their career.
If teams could only sign RB’s for two years if they draft them, then teams won’t draft them until late in the draft and they will make even less for two years. 

If teams could only sign RB’s for two years if they draft them, then teams won’t draft them until late in the draft and they will make even less for two years. 
Yea ... I immediately thought of that once i posted it. 

Something needs to be done though. The shelf life of a top running back doesn’t jive with the pay. They really only get one shot at a big contract. 

That may actually hurt their draft status and cost them money on that end. Who is going to take a RB in the first round if they’re only getting 2 years out of him?

I have banged the drum in support of RB’s for years. First round RB’s are subjected to 4 year deal + 1 year fifth year option + 2 franchise tag years. So a team can own the rights to one of the premier running backs in the league for 7 years. That back could see 2000-2500 touches before seeing free agency. By that point, his earning potential would be minimal. Not sure what the answer is, but the way things are now is blatantly unfair. 

Gordon has to show up by Week 10 for this season to count towards his free agency
This isn't true but keeps getting reported. As I have posted earlier in this thread, there are reasons to believe he needs to report prior to week 9 and prior to week 13. I'm not sure which of those governs, but I don't think week 10 has anything to do with it. I expect him to err on the conservative side and show up NLT prior to week 9, and I think he could come back earlier than that to avoid forfeiting so much of his current salary.

I would like it if the Chargers would also inform him that they will not waive his preseason fines. If they don't, he has already forfeited around $2M of his $5.6M 2019 salary. That might motivate to come back sooner.

I have banged the drum in support of RB’s for years. First round RB’s are subjected to 4 year deal + 1 year fifth year option + 2 franchise tag years. So a team can own the rights to one of the premier running backs in the league for 7 years. That back could see 2000-2500 touches before seeing free agency. By that point, his earning potential would be minimal. Not sure what the answer is, but the way things are now is blatantly unfair. 
Using Gordon as an example, he earned $10.75M in his first 4 seasons and could have earned $5.6M this season. Then, if the Chargers were to franchise him in the 2020 offseason, he would earn about $12M in 2020. Then, if the Chargers were to franchise him again in the 2021 offseason, he would earn about $14.5M in 2021. He would then reach free agency in the 2022 offseason, having made roughly $43M.

RBs drafted in later years and/or with higher first round picks would make more throughout the same 7 year scenario.

Cry me a river.  :cry:

I feel bad for folks who drafted around Aug 24-25th. There were (irresponsibly) optimistic reports out of SD that they were making progress, and Gordon went 4.02 in my league, followed by a 6th round Eckeler pick by that same team.

So now fast forward & that team paid an early 4th & an early 6th for 1/2 of the Eckeler/Jackson RBBC? 

🤢 🤮 

huge investment in FF mediocrity. 

My dynasty start-up draft was late July when everyone was certain a deal would get done. Gordon - $70/500

by the team who spent $79/500 on Luck. :doh:  

that's gonna leave a mark. 

I feel bad for folks who drafted around Aug 24-25th. There were (irresponsibly) optimistic reports out of SD that they were making progress, and Gordon went 4.02 in my league, followed by a 6th round Eckeler pick by that same team.

So now fast forward & that team paid an early 4th & an early 6th for 1/2 of the Eckeler/Jackson RBBC? 

🤢 🤮 

huge investment in FF mediocrity. 

My dynasty start-up draft was late July when everyone was certain a deal would get done. Gordon - $70/500

by the team who spent $79/500 on Luck. :doh:  

that's gonna leave a mark. 
I don't understand why anyone does drafts before this weekend.  Makes zero sense......my 3 drafts are Mon, Tues, Wed......we do it that way every year to avoid this kind of crap.

I don't understand why anyone does drafts before this weekend.  Makes zero sense......my 3 drafts are Mon, Tues, Wed......we do it that way every year to avoid this kind of crap.
Adults adulting. People work, have prior commitments, marriages, funerals, I have 2 little league umpires in my local league - hard to get a weekend day off. I travel the country doing festivals with my sauce, so I was in Portland the week before & had big farmers markets this weekend but usually work a rib cook-off festival in Reno, so this weekend usually doesn’t work.

It’s hard to get 12 knuckleheads into a room on the same day at the same time. 

And since we have 2x Aug 20 birthdays & one Aug 21st, we like to do it as a birthday parity / draft party. 

It is....what it is. 

Adults adulting. People work, have prior commitments, marriages, funerals, I have 2 little league umpires in my local league - hard to get a weekend day off. I travel the country doing festivals with my sauce, so I was in Portland the week before & had big farmers markets this weekend but usually work a rib cook-off festival in Reno, so this weekend usually doesn’t work.

And since we have 2x Aug 20 birthdays & one Aug 21st, we like to do it as a birthday parity / draft party. 

It is....what it is. 
Exactly.  :yes:

It is....what it is. 
Add to that. You could draft on Monday and Gordon could change his mind and join the team Tuesday.

I’m in 5 dynasty leagues and 7 redraft/keeper leagues, drafts are when they are. You pay your money and you take your chances. One league had a heck of a time nailing down any weekend day, so we had to do it when we were able, I mean what should we do, dissolve the league we’ve been playing in for 15 years? Sometimes I have to set my lists and let a team autodraft, but when some guppy says “you like fantasy football? I have a league and have a spot...” I’m perfectly happy to fill that spot, regardless of when the draft is. So you’re down a guy...or two...or maybe Lamar Miller too and then I truly feel sorry for you...but fantasy isn’t won with simply a draft.

It is....what it is. 
Here’s the deal in my main league.  The draft is live Wednesday night before season opener.  Same date for 25 years and never had a problem.  Agree 100% that it waters down the importance of draft night if you draft early.

Here’s the deal in my main league.  The draft is live Wednesday night before season opener.  Same date for 25 years and never had a problem.  Agree 100% that it waters down the importance of draft night if you draft early.
Not everyone can swing that. When you invite me to your league, that’ll work great for me. 

August 25th worked for us.

labor day is a weekend a lot of people go on vacation & take 4-day holidays. When they get back on Monday night, it’s a lot to ask to go draft on weds. 

Everyone got their thing. Your thing works for you, my thing works for me.  :shrug:

Not everyone can swing that. When you invite me to your league, that’ll work great for me. 

August 25th worked for us.

labor day is a weekend a lot of people go on vacation & take 4-day holidays. When they get back on Monday night, it’s a lot to ask to go draft on weds. 

Everyone got their thing. Your thing works for you, my thing works for me.  :shrug:
What’s more important than fantasy football?  NOTHING.  We meet at local bar from 6:30 - 9:30 roughly.  It’s really easier to draft midweek than weekends imho.

Totally agree, but when you have 13 other guys who are so damn stubborn, "because we always draft this weekend" BS sometimes you have no choice.

Barf. 

Melvin Gordon is not an elite back and is obviously asking for way more money than he is worth (in relative terms).  

A real draft is a live draft.  All others are just a facsimile.     Why do we do this guys? It’s the one of the last bastions of maleness.  We must maintain control of the following:  fantasy football, tv remote, lawn tractor,  etc.  without the following we should just go into the corners of our basements, get fed by slingshots, and wear aluminum foil hats.. 

A real draft is a live draft.  All others are just a facsimile.     Why do we do this guys? It’s the one of the last bastions of maleness.  We must maintain control of the following:  fantasy football, tv remote, lawn tractor,  etc.  without the following we should just go into the corners of our basements, get fed by slingshots, and wear aluminum foil hats.. 
I do draft live. 

12 guys people have come to my home for  ~20 years.

this year we had a keg, and 5-6 pizzas as one of my league members owns a pizzeria. 

so you’re preaching to the choir. My post  was about having to draft the night before the season starts, which is a ridiculously u reasonable hill to die on. 

We drafted 2 weeks before the season. If someone gets f’d by injury or unpredictability that’s just one more thing to bust chops over.

C’mon son. Talking to *me* about live drafts? I do it right. But the only way possible in my league to draft live is to find a date that works. 

I do draft live. 

12 guys people have come to my home for  ~20 years.

this year we had a keg, and 5-6 pizzas as one of my league members owns a pizzeria. 

so you’re preaching to the choir. My post  was about having to draft the night before the season starts, which is a ridiculously u reasonable hill to die on. 

We drafted 2 weeks before the season. If someone gets f’d by injury or unpredictability that’s just one more thing to bust chops over.

C’mon son. Talking to *me* about live drafts? I do it right. 
Been a ffl commission for about 30 years and still don’t understand early drafts.  You do it bad...

Totally agree, but when you have 13 other guys who are so damn stubborn, "because we always draft this weekend" BS sometimes you have no choice.
My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.

My 21 year old money league always has the draft the weekend before labor day, which is preseason week 3. It is a live draft full of old friends, and three of the guys are coming from three different states. Most drafters have families, and doing it on labor day weekend is out of the question. It isn't a perfect world, and it is the best we can do to get it as close as we can to the regular season. To not understand and say it makes zero sense to have drafts before this weekend seems out of touch with the reality that people have lives that can't be perfect with a draft time.
Ditto. I retired from FF and this is the only league I have left just because it 20 plus years old. Always been that date because people are doing real life stuff on labor day weekend. FF is far from the most important thing.

ETA: yes I drafted Gordon 

Dude. Shut your "1950's man runs the house" schtick in this thread and let us get back to the Melvin Gordon situation. 

Im in 6 leagues. Are they all supposed to draft the night before the season starts?
I’m so impressed with your 6 leagues.  Bottom line with Gordon, he is missing 10 games then bye week 12 so unless you plan to make playoffs he shouldn’t get drafted until late.. like 6-8 round

I’m so impressed with your 6 leagues.  Bottom line with Gordon, he is missing 10 games then bye week 12 so unless you plan to make playoffs he shouldn’t get drafted until late.. like 6-8 round
Thanks for stopping in.  Have a great season fella. 

Users who are viewing this thread