What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Davis, BAL (1 Viewer)

Man I went back and forth about picking him up for a few days and when I finally decided yes someone grabbed him....Fail.

A lot of this depends on health, and on Carson's recovery.  It's easy to say he'll come back 100%, but Rawls is clearly not the same guy he was before suffering a very similar injury.

Oddly enough, last night, IMO, was the best Davis has looked since his sophomore year at South Carolina when he looked like one of the best backs in the country.  His NFL Draft Profile page had a quote from an NFC South scout that I found interesting (and completely plausible):

I'm not saying Davis got lazy as a junior, per se, but he fell in the draft.  Then he got drafted behind an established starter, gets cut after 2 regime changes.  Lands in Seattle with a fresh start, but another crowded backfield gets him cut again.  I think all that seriously motivated him to get back to the player he was in 2013 ... and that guy looked amazing. Quickness, shiftiness, power, speed, hands ... we just might have something here.
He looks great to me too. I actually can't start him my team is so stacked at RB but he could be Seattle's starting RB next year too. He can do it all and I thought he had a chance to beat out Hyde in SF. Seattle's offense will be soooo much better if he is really this good.

Roto

Mike Davis played 45-of-62 (73 percent) snaps Week 13 against the Eagles.

J.D. McKissic was second among running backs with nine plays while Eddie Lacy and Thomas Rawls were limited to three snaps apiece. Unless Chris Carson is able to come back in the next three weeks, it looks like this will be Davis' backfield throughout the fantasy playoffs. Even in a tough matchup against the Jaguars next week, Davis will be a back-end RB2.

Last edited by a moderator:
More Roto:

Seahawks coach Pete Carroll said Chris Carson (broken leg, injured reserve) is "unbelievably ahead of schedule."

As always, Carroll injury updates deserve a grain of salt, and even the optimistic coach said Carson will need at least two weeks of practice before he is ready to return. That makes it unlikely he helps fantasy owners this season, but he looks on track to return for the real playoffs.

Dugar, Michael-Shawn (@MikeDugar)

12/4/17, 11:53 AM

Carroll on Chris Carson: "He's unbelievably ahead of schedule." He was "flying" when Carroll watched him run last week. Doesn't know if Carson can practice this week. Probably have him back for final 2 games

Man I went back and forth about picking him up for a few days and when I finally decided yes someone grabbed him....Fail.
I too thought about it all week, but didn’t pull the trigger. I’ll put a claim in for him this week. Probably not going to happen though. 

I actually started Mike Davis over Antonio Brown last week, won my matchup, had high score for the week, and earned a bye for the playoffs. Lucky.

He could profile like Rob Kelley, if he's used as a bellcow you have to take notice. 
I actually think Ingram has been rather unfairly maligned throughout his career.  It's not his fault Sean Payton drafted him and has forced a timeshare on him.  He's literally never been given the reins to the backfield.  I'd take Mark Ingram in a heartbeat on a team that likes to run the ball and likes to use a primary, foundational back.  He'd be a star.

Bfrahm3 said:
But when given the chance Ingram has been a good-great fantasy rb and that's what we care about
Sorry doesn't do it for me. Assets like that lose their value overnight. I mean i have them on my teams too but not for long and i don't build around them. 

JFS171 said:
I actually think Ingram has been rather unfairly maligned throughout his career.  It's not his fault Sean Payton drafted him and has forced a timeshare on him.  He's literally never been given the reins to the backfield.  I'd take Mark Ingram in a heartbeat on a team that likes to run the ball and likes to use a primary, foundational back.  He'd be a star.
Lol yeah a star like Melvin Gordon maybe but never a star like Bell or DJ. He's not special. Just ok. 

Lol yeah a star like Melvin Gordon maybe but never a star like Bell or DJ. He's not special. Just ok.
Ingram is a more talented runner than Gordon. Gordon is more athletic but when it comes to running in between the tackles Ingram is so much better. But of course Ingram isn't as good as Bell and no one is claiming he is.

Got Lewis in over him as my RB2 for now.  Since Lewis inexplicably doesn't catch passes any longer I still might go with Davis.  Jax new and improved run D is also a factor in this decision.

Got Lewis in over him as my RB2 for now.  Since Lewis inexplicably doesn't catch passes any longer I still might go with Davis.  Jax new and improved run D is also a factor in this decision.
I have the same choices, and it's Davis easily for me. Burkhead seems to be getting the passing and goal line looks, so if Lewis doesn't rack up yards on early downs, his fantasy numbers are going to be scant. Davis seems like he's getting three-down work and likely goal line looks with his power.

Ingram is a more talented runner than Gordon. Gordon is more athletic but when it comes to running in between the tackles Ingram is so much better. But of course Ingram isn't as good as Bell and no one is claiming he is.
All i was saying is he's not a special talent. He's ok in a great situation. I trade those types of players when i can and get players i feel are special talents but undervalued. 

I have the same choices, and it's Davis easily for me. Burkhead seems to be getting the passing and goal line looks, so if Lewis doesn't rack up yards on early downs, his fantasy numbers are going to be scant. Davis seems like he's getting three-down work and likely goal line looks with his power.
Valid points.  I just have a feeling this is the week Lewis finishes one of those longs runs...of course, it just might be gas.

All i was saying is he's not a special talent. He's ok in a great situation. I trade those types of players when i can and get players i feel are special talents but undervalued.
Yeah but how many truly special talents are there at the position in any given year? If you trade away everyone who isn't special you wouldn't be able to field a team.

Also talent, in my opinion, isn't the most important variable to consider. Ingram's situation (great OL, good defense, passing attack that forces opposing defenses to remain honest) outweighs any talent deficit he may have.

But I'm getting off topic. In my Yahoo leagues we get a FAAB re-up once we enter the playoffs. I spent 100% of my FAAB on Davis without a second thought, even if I don't plan on using him. Blocking opposing teams who are hurting at the position from a getting guy who'll be utilized 20+ times a game and may be game script immune was well worth it.

Valid points.  I just have a feeling this is the week Lewis finishes one of those longs runs...of course, it just might be gas.
Possible - finishing long runs and gas. Game scripts seldom seem to work out as planned, but it would seem like the Pats should control this game and hopefully a lot of rushing attempts to go around.

But back to the Davis love (III)...

Yeah but how many truly special talents are there at the position in any given year? If you trade away everyone who isn't special you wouldn't be able to field a team.

Also talent, in my opinion, isn't the most important variable to consider. Ingram's situation (great OL, good defense, passing attack that forces opposing defenses to remain honest) outweighs any talent deficit he may have.

But I'm getting off topic. In my Yahoo leagues we get a FAAB re-up once we enter the playoffs. I spent 100% of my FAAB on Davis without a second thought, even if I don't plan on using him. Blocking opposing teams who are hurting at the position from a getting guy who'll be utilized 20+ times a game and may be game script immune was well worth it.
Yeah off topic Davis is a great pick up......

Do RBs catch a lot of passes against Jax?  Just seems logical with the corners they have on the outside but I don't know the data. 

I actually think Davis has a pretty decent floor this week if he stays anywhere near his 70+% snap share that he had against Philly.

Jac has been a lot better against the run since they traded for Marcell Dareus. Like a top 5 unit against the run. 

Better, not top 5 though. 149, 135, 139, 91, and 96 yards allowed and seven rush TDs too. The lowest week (91) they allowed 3 rush TDs.
Oh my bad I just took what someone said about that without looking it up myself........

Chris Carson suffered a setback today at practice per Curtis Crabtree on Twitter. Sounds like Davis is the horse ROS.

What are reasonable expectations for Davis against the Jags? I can't seem to draw a bead on this situation at all.
14 carries 50 yards, 3 recs 24 yards? Best guess. Maybe his yardage ceiling is much higher but I just don't see him hitting much paydirt given how the Hawks run their redzone/goal line offense.

Seahawks' Mike Davis: Injures ribs in fourth quarter

10 hrs ago

Davis hurt his ribs during Sunday's 30-24 loss to the Jaguars, Aron Yohanes of the Seahawks' official website reports. "[Davis] got hit in the ribs," Carroll said. "I thought he looked great. I thought he ran like crazy. This is the best rushing defense in the NFL and we had 100 yards at halftime. And Mike was ripping and he did a nice job against these guys. The guys up front did a nice job too - Russell's yardage was helpful - but I thought Mike looked really good."

Davis suffered the injury with about five minutes left in the third quarter and was deemed probable to return, but he didn't get another touch the rest of the way. His lack of contribution in the fourth quarter may have been a product of game context rather than a result of the injury, as the Seahawks were forced to abandon their rushing attack while playing from behind during an eventful second half. Davis finished with 15 carries for 66 yards and one catch for a loss of one yard, earning strong praise from head coach Pete Carroll after the game. Davis may have limitations at practice during the upcoming week, but the early signs suggest that the Seahawks expect him to continue in his role as the lead back for a Week 15 home game against the Rams.
From CBS

I'm inclined to not put too much weight on yesterday. That game was a disaster for Seattle from start to finish. And I actually think they rally this week against Dallas.

Problem is that not only is it hard to trust Davis in your championship, Lee's return means Dallas is no longer such a great match-up for RBs. Unless you're desperate, it's hard to see how he has much value left.

I'm inclined to not put too much weight on yesterday. That game was a disaster for Seattle from start to finish. And I actually think they rally this week against Dallas.

Problem is that not only is it hard to trust Davis in your championship, Lee's return means Dallas is no longer such a great match-up for RBs. Unless you're desperate, it's hard to see how he has much value left.
Agreed, the whole team collapsed yesterday. It's amazing that Wilson only threw the ball 30 times in a game that they were down big from the get-go. You would have thought he would have thrown it 50 times in catch up mode.

The problem with Davis is more game script than him. This year with their OL woes, the team seems to give up on the run much quicker than they have in the Carroll era. Not much ground and pound this year, which is a big reason why Wilson's passing numbers have jumped.

Users who are viewing this thread