What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Davis, BAL (1 Viewer)

In dynasty I tried to trade for this guy all off season couldn't get a reasonable offer. I was spared this mistake by my league mates. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To be clear I wasnt expecting RB1 numbers, but I did think I was getting someone I could start as needed with some kind of reasonable floor.

Maybe I was a bit over the top when I said bust of the year, but he really wasnt anything clsoe to what was expected. And he did get the opportunity....

To be clear I wasnt expecting RB1 numbers, but I did think I was getting someone I could start as needed with some kind of reasonable floor.

Maybe I was a bit over the top when I said bust of the year, but he really wasnt anything clsoe to what was expected. And he did get the opportunity....
Ditto. I think this is equal parts Davis just not doing very much with his touches and the unforeseeable emergence of Patterson. I was gambling on Davis' situation being similar to last year (decent volume based on very little competition for it). I figured addressing the RB situation would be a "next year thing" for Atlanta. The next thing you know, CP is delivering these chunk plays and there's just very little point to handing or throwing it to Davis.

Ditto. I think this is equal parts Davis just not doing very much with his touches and the unforeseeable emergence of Patterson. I was gambling on Davis' situation being similar to last year (decent volume based on very little competition for it). I figured addressing the RB situation would be a "next year thing" for Atlanta. The next thing you know, CP is delivering these chunk plays and there's just very little point to handing or throwing it to Davis.
I think a big part is also Davis just being who we thought he was before last year. Seems like he benefited from a good RB system in Carolina. CMC is incredible no doubt, and his injury replacements clearly can’t replicate his production. But it seems Davis and Hubbard have done so at about, say, a 75% clip, and that’s a lot in fantasy (if not real life) terms.

I must have overlooked that since he's played in 9 games and it's week 11. The fact his numbers prior to the ankle injury look pretty similar to after it threw me off a little as well.
It’s cool, bro.… I know a good cover-up artist I can refer you to. He can turn your Mike Davis tattoo into something nicer. The neck area was a bold choice though.

;)  

Many of us thought Davis would produce solid RB3 numbers due to opportunity and volume.  We were wrong.  It happens.  

Well, Seems I may have been right about Ollison, I was just 12 weeks early. :shrug:

Hard to get excited about it with Patterson coming back this week & what sounds like a 3-headed committee, but here’s the latest. 

”Falcons coach Arthur Smith said Qadree Ollison has "earned the right for more carries."

Ollison surprisingly took over the Atlanta backfield last Thursday, seeing the same number of snaps as Mike Davis and out-carrying him 9-to-3. This statement suggests that changing of the guard could become permanent. That said, Cordarrelle Patterson appears on track to return this week, and the role behind him has not been exciting for fantasy purposes all season. Even so, Ollison is a priority add this week”

Happy to see Ollison get a chance (my son is a student at Pitt), but I think his upside is limited given that he’ll have little to no role in the passing game and may have a lot of negative game scripts.

That said, anyone who has the chance at meaningful touches has value.

Is Mike Davis a fantasy Zombie? Because he's got 10 catches on 12 targets for 82 yards the last 3 weeks. Add in 48 rushing and a TD and he is walking around clumsily clamoring for brains. 

If you're absolutely desperate, he's probably been dropped in your league. 

Is Mike Davis a fantasy Zombie? Because he's got 10 catches on 12 targets for 82 yards the last 3 weeks. Add in 48 rushing and a TD and he is walking around clumsily clamoring for brains. 

If you're absolutely desperate, he's probably been dropped in your league. 

He is staying dropped.

I'd rather ride with confidence the likes of J Hasty, Abdullah, and Perine.

Falcons released RB Mike Davis.

Davis had been a journeyman runner before he flashed starting ability as a fill-in for Christian McCaffrey in 2020. The Falcons brought him in on a two-year deal to serve as their starter, but he never recaptured his peak Carolina form and was ultimately surpassed by Cordarrelle Patterson on the depth chart. Still, this move may have less to do with Davis' performance than the Falcons' cap situation. Even after Davis' release, the Falcons are still underwater in Over The Cap's effective cap space metric. In other words, more contracts will need to be renegotiated or shed for the Falcons to sign their rookie class this offseason. One of those rookies is Tyler Allgeier, who looks like the clear favorite to handle early-down duties in Atlanta this season. Davis is entering his age-29 season and should eventually find a home as a veteran backup. 

RELATED: 

Tyler Allgeier

, Cordarrelle Patterson

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter

May 2, 2022, 9:18 AM ET

Ravens signed RB Mike Davis. 

Released by the Falcons after one season in Atlanta, Davis joins a crowded Baltimore backfield headed by J.K. Dobbins and Gus Edwards, both of whom are returning from ACL injuries. Davis, entering his age-29 season, has a decent shot to make the team's roster but wouldn't be fantasy relevant unless the Ravens once again suffered a series of running back injuries. In 2021, Davis gained 504 yards on 138 carries (3.6 YPC) for Atlanta. 

RELATED: 

J.K. Dobbins

, Gus Edwards

, Atlanta Falcons

SOURCE: Jordan Schultz on Twitter 

May 10, 2022, 9:39 AM ET
@LawFitz

Faust said:

Both Davises were the wrong Davis.

Kidding. Mike's had a decent career, considering how long the avg RB plays in the league. He has been way more miss than hit for fantasy, though, despite that magical PPG run in Carolina as a homeless McCaffery.

I've generally avoided him all these years. But the Ravens provide great opportunity if somehow he finds himself toting the rock for them in a heavy way - unlikely, but who knows after their RB attrition last year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Time to fire up this thread again. Mike Davis could be a great start if Dobbins misses the first few games. Per CBSSPORTS, Davis struggled last year, except in 1 metric: avoided tackle rate where he was 5th best at 32.6%.

Can we get some feedback from our Mike Davis expert, @Hot Sauce Guy ?

Time to fire up this thread again. Mike Davis could be a great start if Dobbins misses the first few games. Per CBSSPORTS, Davis struggled last year, except in 1 metric: avoided tackle rate where he was 5th best at 32.6%.

Can we get some feedback from our Mike Davis expert, @Hot Sauce Guy ?
Still not a fan. At all.

And FWIW, I was right. :D

Mike Davis 2022 Users Guide:
1. Grab him late. (Optional step 1 - don't draft him at all and skip to step 5.)
2. Hope he has a good week one.
3. Hope ESPN/Yahoo don't post something dumb like "but it's only temporary until JK and Gus come back" in the player notes.
4. Trade him to the worst/dumbest player in your league for someone who underperformed week 1.
5. Enjoy not having Mike Davis on your team.

The rationale last year was volume. He got it initially and then that Patterson guy happened. Yeah that's pretty much it. He hasn't gotten faster I suspect and he won't get more volume.

Starting him over Damien Harris Week 1. Anybody can produce in that system, especially with defenses having to account for Lamar Jackson. Jets is too juicy to pass up, they should be leading that game and he could see 16 - 20 touches.

:shrug:

From a talent standpoint, I don't think Davis is any better than what they trotted out there last season. One big advantage is that he's been there all off-season, whereas the guys last year were brought in right before (and after) the season started. He's also probably a better receiver than Murray & Freeman, too. Davis averaged less than 3 ypc in the preseason.

I don't think Dobbins hasn't participated in any team drills yet. I'd imagine that, even when he does see some game action, he'll be on a snap count. Who knows when Edwards will be back.

So I think Davis will get some play early in the season and is definitely worth a roster spot. Baltimore is going to run the snot out of the ball.

People trying to read the tea leaves on who will start vs. the Jets (Davis or Drake). Regardless of who starts, we have had a workable RB blueprint for the Baltimore rushing attack for over 3 years.

One back tends to get 55-60% of the work
One back gets 25-30% of the work
One back gets around 10-ish% (Justice Hill breather role)

Davis is getting one of the Top 2 roles. They have value in this offense (see Devonta Freeman/Latavius Murray last year)

People trying to read the tea leaves on who will start vs. the Jets (Davis or Drake). Regardless of who starts, we have had a workable RB blueprint for the Baltimore rushing attack for over 3 years.

Davis is getting one of the Top 2 roles. They have value in this offense (see Devonta Freeman/Latavius Murray last year)
The difference this year is that Davis has been there for months. Drake hasn't; both Murray and Freeman were signed off of the street 3 minutes before Week 1 kickoff last year. I think Drake is the most dynamic option (unless a light bulb finally turns on for Hill). I just wonder if he's picking up enough for the coaches to trust him. If I had to pick one this week, for FF purposes, I'd play Davis.

I need to decide on davis or drake asap. Davis then?

I need to decide on davis or drake asap. Davis then?
Yes

Mike Davis had two rushes for 11 yards in the Ravens' Week 1 win against the Jets.

Davis, one of the least efficient runners of 2021, played well behind the newly acquired Kenyan Drake in Week 1. It's clear Davis will be third in the backfield pecking order when J.K. Dobbins (ACL) returns to the lineup. Davis should remain on the waiver wire for now.

- NBCSportsEDGE
Did not see them giving him the mop-up role, because no one had the hot hand.

Ravens waived RB Mike Davis.​

The move clears a spot for J.K. Dobbins (knee) to return from IR. Even with multiple injuries at running back, Davis hasn't seen a carry since Week 5 and was buried on the depth chart in Baltimore. The 29-year-old veteran will head to free agency if he clears waivers.
Dec 10, 2022, 11:23 AM ET

Ravens waived RB Mike Davis.​

The move clears a spot for J.K. Dobbins (knee) to return from IR. Even with multiple injuries at running back, Davis hasn't seen a carry since Week 5 and was buried on the depth chart in Baltimore. The 29-year-old veteran will head to free agency if he clears waivers.
Dec 10, 2022, 11:23 AM ET
Probably the end of the road for Davis

Next draft is strong for RB, both at the top and for depth. I’ll be glad to see the weeding out of players like Davis.

Users who are viewing this thread