What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Mike Davis, BAL (1 Viewer)

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Before the Gallman move, what number RB was Mike Davis ranked among RBs for you? Not in a tier. What number?

Today, what number RB is Mike Davis ranked among RBs for you? Not in a tier. What number?
I’m not really a numbered list kinda guy. I’m a buckets guy. I use tiers, though I know they’re going out of style with some writers. 

And sorry if I was unclear. Davis doesn’t move down at all. Whatever number he was on your list before this signing, he still is after this signing. 

Gallman moves up quite a bit from “buried on the Niners depth chart/undraftable” to “someone I’d consider at end of drafts if I went zero RB or had a roster spot to play with”. 

I think it's important to note that the Falcons backfield from 2020 is not just no longer with them, but out of the league.

(Maybe I missed a PS signing. Still...)

They replaced the whole backfield and clearly Smith, Pees and Co were correct that that was a problem position.

They got what they got and were very likely to try to bolster the backfield during round three of the off-season. Free agency, draft, waivers.

Smith coveted Davis. To redo and want to start with this guy is significant.

Gallman was available this spring and the Niners got him and I see no reports if the Falcons making him an offer.

Davis is to be their center piece after Henry was Smith's in TEN.

It would be extremely bold for Smith to switch

Sorry if I wasn't clear.

Before the Gallman move, what number RB was Mike Davis ranked among RBs for you? Not in a tier. What number?

Today, what number RB is Mike Davis ranked among RBs for you? Not in a tier. What number?
To be honest I only think like FF sites and magazines do straight 1-through whatever rankings of players.  Most serious players I know have tiers of Rbs, wrs, qbs whatever and then within those tiers they may rank 1-5.  So I personally had Mike Davis last sat in my tier 4 (towards the end) ranked 6ish.   Right around guys like Damien Harris (7) and J Williams.(8).  Since last Sat the only change would be moving Edwards into that same ballpark. 

The main selling point for Davis is the sheer amount of volume he is going to get at the beginning of the year.  If it works it works if not so be it but at least you know you are getting a 3 down back for at least a few games.  To me that is value vs picking someone like Williams in the same range or Sermon and Sonny and hoping they get a chance sooner rather than later.  They may all 3 produce more than davis in the long run but I dont have the faith in starting them in the beginning as I do with Davis.  If davis plays and sucks the first few games then I pivot and go from there, if he produces rb2 numbers I am gold

Its way easier to bunch guys in your personal tiers then ranking all the guys 1-30 or whatever.  As far as drafting goes anyway. 

Last edited by a moderator:
To be honest I only think like FF sites and magazines do straight 1-through whatever rankings of players.  Most serious players I know have tiers of Rbs, wrs, qbs whatever and then within those tiers they may rank 1-5.  So I personally had Mike Davis last sat in my tier 4 ranked 6ish.   Right around guys like Damien Harris (7) and J Williams.(8)

Its way easier to bunch guys in your personal tiers then ranking all the guys 1-30 or whatever.  As far as drafting goes anyway. 
If you ranked the players within the tiers and assuming your tiers were in order - after all is said and done, you’d still have guys ranked in 1-30+ order. 

If you ranked the players within the tiers and assuming your tiers were in order - after all is said and done, you’d still have guys ranked in 1-30+ order. 
Sortof, and I see what you are saying but you have to factor in the wr tiers, te tiers etc when you are drafting.  my wr tier 2 is going to be more valuable than my tier 2 running back.  When you just go 1-30 its tough (for me anyway) to differentiate the value vs other positions.  I think most folks will agree ranking by tiers is incredibly easier and more productive

HSG - not sure on the take here for a few reasons (again, not a Davis truther, but a lot f smart FF people even outside of FBG are touting him);  The coaching staff here is all new.  It is one thing to feel this way about, say Miami where they stuck with Gaskin but changed the OC.  Here they changed the Head Coach to an offensive minded guy and he went out and got a guy who looked good in a volume role last year.

Volume is king here.  So the question becomes; Does Gallman coming to the Falcons depress Davis' volume?  That's the same question we get from Sony Michel going to the Rams, Rashaard Penny being Healthy for the Seahawks etc etc.

If you thought Ollison was going to take 100 carries away from Davis, Will Gallman take more, less, or the same?  To me, I cannot see with injury him taking MORE carries away (or more receiving opportunities bc he ain't that kind of back), so my ranking of Davis continues to be the same.  He's the only "volume" guy in the RB dead zone (other than Harris, and New England running back lotto is worse than this).  Maybe of you can double up Mosert and Sermon or Javonte and Melvin Gordon will you have a better shot and determining a backfield, but for a "one slot" pick I'd go with Davis.
I’ve already addressed the above extensively. I never disagreed with Davis being a volume play/getting bulk of carries. 

I’ve seen as many writers down on Davis as a very risky “dead zone” RB based on how poorly he played down the stretch last year. 

So I agree with you - I think Gallman will do whatever Ollison was going to do, only a little better.

If Davis was going to get 70% of the touches, it’s possible he now gets 65% if Gallman pushes to take a few extra touches. I believe Gallman is a better receiver, but I have no idea what the Falcons coaching staff believes about that. Time will tell.

One point about that coaching staff though - they can want to run the ball more all day, but if their defense continues to look like a screen door (especially the secondary, that’s looked just atrocious) then they’re not going to have that luxury. 

I could see that impacting Davis’ value, if Gallman shows better as a receiver.

Hey, I’m not psychic - I can only look at the situation and evaluate it. My evaluation is that Davis & Gallman aren’t far apart ability-wise, and that both should be rostered. I was avoiding Davis before this signing& if I had drafts left I’d avoid Davis now. It’s a personal preference. I don’t think Davis is that good. I don’t think he has great job security & I don’t know if the Falcons will be able to play ball control with an above average run game. They’ve seemingly struggled with that for a couple years now. 

but maybe I’m wrong. Maybe the run game will be fine and there will be all sorts of touches to go around in ATL. Maybe Mike Davis is better than he showed even at the end of last year & he’ll justify his 5th round value.

It feels a little like the opposite of Pitts, where folks deeply questioned his 5th round ADP because so much would have to go right for him to earn that.

So maybe the better question for this topic is “what are everyone’s projections for Mike Davis for 2021?” 

I’d be more interested to see something like that, because that would help to either justify his ADP or make folks think twice about it.

Best of luck in your drafts whatever you choose to do. 👍🏼

I’m not really a numbered list kinda guy. I’m a buckets guy. I use tiers, though I know they’re going out of style with some writers. 

And sorry if I was unclear. Davis doesn’t move down at all. Whatever number he was on your list before this signing, he still is after this signing. 

Gallman moves up quite a bit from “buried on the Niners depth chart/undraftable” to “someone I’d consider at end of drafts if I went zero RB or had a roster spot to play with”. 

Sigh.

I don't know if you're just intentionally trying not to give an answer but the avoiding is fascinating. 

If you can't decide on where in a tier a player is, at least can you tell how many players are ranked above that tier? 

Let's say Davis is in tier number 3 and that tier has 5 players in it. What number RBs would that tier cover?

Sigh.

I don't know if you're just intentionally trying not to give an answer but the avoiding is fascinating. 

If you can't decide on where in a tier a player is, at least can you tell how many players are ranked above that tier? 

Let's say Davis is in tier number 3 and that tier has 5 players in it. What number RBs would that tier cover?
I’m at my farmers market setting up my booth and don’t have my rankings in front of me.

I’m not avoiding anything. I use tiers. I don’t have those tiers to assign numbers to right now. I’m standing at a market near a lake getting ready to work. 

In a previous post I gave you a list off specific players I had before Davis in that tier.  Doesn’t that answer your question? 

Sigh.

21 for me last week

22 now with gus moving slightly above him

Seems he said tier 4, along with guys like Damian Harris and J Williams?

We don't have jobs doing this stuff.

:confused:   It's not about "jobs". It's about playing fantasy football. 

If it's your pick and Mike Davis, Damian Harris and J Williams are the best players available and they are all available and all in the same tier, how does one decide who to pick?

If it's your pick and Mike Davis, Damian Harris and J Williams are the best players available and they are all available and all in the same tier, how does one decide who to pick?
Depends on how the draft has gone so far.  If I have already gotten 2 starters at RB then I would be inclined for williams as he probably will produce later in the year.  If I need a RB 2 then davis because he will get touches out of the gate.

I go by whichever one I like best?  Probably your site had something to do with how I arrived there... most likely I haven't spent much time on specifics with tier 4 players beyond grouping them together and seeing how it shakes out.

Whatever.. it is between you and Hot Sauce.  I just feel like you are drilling one of us people that play fantasy as thought they are someone that PLAYS fantasy football.  Good luck.  :shrug:

Depends on how the draft has gone so far.  If I have already gotten 2 starters at RB then I would be inclined for williams as he probably will produce later in the year.  If I need a RB 2 then davis because he will get touches out of the gate.

Thanks. For your first tier for RBs, how many are usually in that tier?

Raise your hand if you voted for Mike Davis as the 2021 SP Most Polarizing Player Award?

Crazy. 

To add to discussion, how anyone could think Gallman signing remotely effects Davis's status is beyond me. 

If Davis is a JAG, Gallman is a NeverwasaJAG. 

Seems he said tier 4, along with guys like Damian Harris and J Williams?

We don't have jobs doing this stuff.
That’s basically it, yes. Maybe tier 5 for me, since I slice and dice a little more before the draft and he was at the very  end of that list. 

Since it’s a before/after type question, i’m not sure why the specific number even matters since I’m saying the ranking didn’t change from before to after.

I go by whichever one I like best?  Probably your site had something to do with how I arrived there... most likely I haven't spent much time on specifics with tier 4 players beyond grouping them together and seeing how it shakes out.

Whatever.. it is between you and Hot Sauce.  I just feel like you are drilling one of us people that play fantasy as thought they are someone that PLAYS fantasy football.  Good luck.  :shrug:

Cool. And this has nothing to do with hotsauceguy. I'm interested in how people make draft decisions. 

And I think we all play fantasy football here. I'm guessing this group on the Shark Pool is as serious about fantasy football as any group you'd find anywhere. 

In my answer (that you said I was avoiding the question), I specifically said Davis was at the very end of that tier. 

Hopefully we’re on the same page now? 

Raise your hand if you voted for Mike Davis as the 2021 SP Most Polarizing Player Award?

Crazy. 

To add to discussion, how anyone could think Gallman signing remotely effects Davis's status is beyond me. 

If Davis is a JAG, Gallman is a NeverwasaJAG. 
They both had moments last year. They both struggled at times last year. 

Arguably Davis was in a much better and more RB friendly situation (better OL, better offense around him) 

They’re both kinda JAGgy. I didn’t think that was in question. 

They both had moments last year. They both struggled at times last year. 

Arguably Davis was in a much better and more RB friendly situation (better OL, better offense around him) 

They’re both kinda JAGgy. I didn’t think that was in question. 
But they had a chance at both JAGs. And paid one of them way more than the other got. And then the other was cut. This is clearly just a we want vet RB depth signing. Huntley will have his roster spot my Halloween. And honestly that's the guy in think can eventually unseat MD if he comes in as an injury replacement. Sending Huntley to PS was just roster juggling. 

Thanks.

If you have a pick and must choose between McCaffrey and Cook, how do you do it?
cmac because I am a panther fan (no logic involved) and I think the offense is going to be really good.  I also think there is some regression coming to Cook in the form of TDs.  He still will be good but I think cmac probably edges him out.  I had the 3rd pick in my big money draft and went Kelce.  I feel Kelce is more valuable than the next RB or WR just because of the lack of quality te

Maybe Patterson is actually the guy that will get the most second looks and not Gallman? I would also say that he is the most likely candidate to threaten the strength of Davis's game, which is catching the ball.

cmac because I am a panther fan (no logic involved) and I think the offense is going to be really good.  I also think there is some regression coming to Cook in the form of TDs.  He still will be good but I think cmac probably edges him out.  I had the 3rd pick in my big money draft and went Kelce.  I feel Kelce is more valuable than the next RB or WR just because of the lack of quality te

Thanks.

Do you see what I'm getting at?

Why not just say you have them ranked 1 and 2? 

This same thing comes up if you have a later pick and you want an RB and all 3 of your Tier #2 players are available. You have to make a choice.

I'm suggesting it's better to make a choice before the draft. Not in the heat of the draft.

But I also just love how people play fantasy football. I have zero interest in changing anyone's mind. I"m 100% trying to better understand how folks play the game. 

But they had a chance at both JAGs. And paid one of them way more than the other got. And then the other was cut. This is clearly just a we want vet RB depth signing. Huntley will have his roster spot my Halloween. And honestly that's the guy in think can eventually unseat MD if he comes in as an injury replacement. Sending Huntley to PS was just roster juggling. 
Sure - I’m not arguing that either. 

Backing up, the question about Davis before/after value was a Joe Bryant question. 

My telling people to handcuff him with Gallman (previously Ollison) was my opinion that Davis may not keep the 3-down presumed starter job all year because I’m not of a high opinion of Mike Davis, see last year as an outlier, and saw him fade down the stretch, as others have observed. 

In that light it doesn’t really matter what name the backup is.

It also doesn’t really matter what number Davis is on my draft sheet because I wasn’t going to draft him, regardless. 

cheers

Maybe Patterson is actually the guy that will get the most second looks and not Gallman? I would also say that he is the most likely candidate to threaten the strength of Davis's game, which is catching the ball.
He feels like a gadget guy, WR/RB hybrid, so yeah - I’m reasonably sure his role is as a receiver/special teams guy

I don’t think he hurts Davis’ value as long as he’s the presumed starter either. Patterson was gonna get touches in that offense. 

But it’s a good point about his presence - if Davis underperforms or gets hurt, Patterson might be one more mouth to feed with Gallman. 

I have Mike Davis and Gus Edwards in a similar area at this point fwiw. I have been going Robinson, Carson, Jacobs, Davis, Edwards, and Sanders as my last starting tier before I shift to WR's and TE. 

Thanks.

This same thing comes up if you have a later pick and you want an RB and all 3 of your Tier #2 players are available. You have to make a choice.

I'm suggesting it's better to make a choice before the draft. Not in the heat of the draft.

But I also just love how people play fantasy football. I have zero interest in changing anyone's mind. I"m 100% trying to better understand how folks play the game. 
Well like the post I did above it becomes how my draft has gone.  Using the example is if Davis and Williams are neck and neck it depends on if Davis is my rb3 or 2.  If 2 pull the trigger.  If my RB 1 and 2 are filled then Williams as I can afford to wait.  That is why ranking people 1-60 is kindof dumb in the grand scheme of things.  Davis is far more valuable in weeks 1-4ish than Williams will be.  But it flips IMO later in the year once they ease him in. 

Well like the post I did above it becomes how my draft has gone.  Using the example is if Davis and Williams are neck and neck it depends on if Davis is my rb3 or 2.  If 2 pull the trigger.  If my RB 1 and 2 are filled then Williams as I can afford to wait.  That is why ranking people 1-60 is kindof dumb in the grand scheme of things.  Davis is far more valuable in weeks 1-4ish than Williams will be.  But it flips IMO later in the year once they ease him in. 

Thanks. I completely disagree ranking players like that is "dumb". Thanks for the feedback. 

I have Mike Davis and Gus Edwards in a similar area at this point fwiw. I have been going Robinson, Carson, Jacobs, Davis, Edwards, and Sanders as my last starting tier before I shift to WR's and TE. 
I have Gus over Davis, but yeah - they’re in the same general area (though I think Gus is sneaking into the 4th lately). VBD would say to skip Gus & draft Davis if you have them close, but I like the context for Gus better in that run-1st offense. 

I agree with your rankings. I probably cut it at Sanders because I’m not sure what to make of the Philly offense.

Thanks. I completely disagree ranking players like that is "dumb". Thanks for the feedback. 
Sorry I didnt mean dumb as in ranking them that way.  I mean its dumb to have your 1-whatever rankings and say its your turn in the 4rth and you simply pick the next guy whatever the position on your board.  Thats what I meant by dumb rankings.  You have your rankings,tiers whatever and then you have to apply that in real time during  your draft. 

Sorry I didnt mean dumb as in ranking them that way.  I mean its dumb to have your 1-whatever rankings and say its your turn in the 4rth and you simply pick the next guy whatever the position on your board.  Thats what I meant by dumb rankings.  You have your rankings,tiers whatever and then you have to apply that in real time during  your draft. 
This is exactly what I do in redraft.  I have a rankings and my number doesn't really matter much to me.  For the first round maybe even 2 and 3 sure the rankings matter a lot, but once I am further into a draft I am selecting in my tiers based on how I previously drafted players.

In dynasty, I will stick more to my exact rankings because I can even out roster issues over time.

Thanks.

IMO Tiers have much more utility for auction drafts more than snake drafts.  Personally, I hate, hate, hate snake drafts but it still seems to be a part of the norm.  But, like vinyl records, it just won't die.

But to answer your question, it becomes much easier to see how dollar values are being assigned to a tier so you can easily gauge value.  In addition to utilizing the "experts" tiers, I draw a simple line every 12 spots by position because we have a 12 team league.  That also identifies where the average manager will at least psychologically be nervous if he/she doesn't have a RB/WR in that top 12 positional ranking, second twelve, etc.  It never fails that when there is only one or two players left in a range, the bids go up significantly.  It then becomes easier to predict bidding wars or conversely, when a value can be had.  There is almost always a gradual dollar drop from position 1-10, and then a significant drop for 11-14.  Likewise moving down the rankings.

Everyone's league is different, but for me, I usually focus my homework on the players ranked anywhere near a multiplier of 12.  Players ranked around a multiplier of 12 will have the most variance and is where you can scoop of value to allow you to overspend elsewhere.

FYI, this thread seems to have gotten far removed from Mike Davis related matters.

I understand what you're trying to get at but if you look at ADP's and what @Hot Sauce Guy is saying you can connect the dots.  He puts them in the same tier as guys going an entire round behind Mike Davis.  He is going in the same range as a guy like Cooper Kupp, Amari Cooper.  I dont think anyone is saying Mike Davis is a do not draft, hell... I think everyone has a value but he seems risky at 4.06 when you can grab WR's far more promising in that round.  

I have Gus over Davis, but yeah - they’re in the same general area (though I think Gus is sneaking into the 4th lately). VBD would say to skip Gus & draft Davis if you have them close, but I like the context for Gus better in that run-1st offense. 

I agree with your rankings. I probably cut it at Sanders because I’m not sure what to make of the Philly offense.
I like Gus over Davis and it’s not really much of a contest.   The Ravens love to run the ball and they do it well.  Their D keeps them in games and Gus should get plenty of carries.  Maybe Davis is going to catch more passes than I expect which would put him at the same ranking level as Gus.  

I understand what you're trying to get at but if you look at ADP's and what @Hot Sauce Guy is saying you can connect the dots.  He puts them in the same tier as guys going an entire round behind Mike Davis.  He is going in the same range as a guy like Cooper Kupp, Amari Cooper.  I dont think anyone is saying Mike Davis is a do not draft, hell... I think everyone has a value but he seems risky at 4.06 when you can grab WR's far more promising in that round.  

Thanks. I totally connect the dots. My question is when it's your pick and you have guys at the same tier, how do you decide. That's all I was getting at. We had a good discussion that here https://forums.footballguys.com/topic/799778-tiers-vs-actual-rankings-or-projections/

I like Gus over Davis and it’s not really much of a contest.   The Ravens love to run the ball and they do it well.  Their D keeps them in games and Gus should get plenty of carries.  Maybe Davis is going to catch more passes than I expect which would put him at the same ranking level as Gus.  
Rushing yards favors Gus, but Matt Ryan won't be vulturing touches/GL looks. You've already touched on pass catching. Standard scoring I like Gus better, PPR, prob still take Gus, but much closer to a coin flip.

I think it's kind of ironic that a Mike Davis thread of all things would get so much traffic. Here I thought he was one of the more boring picks.

Classic "JAG in a good situation" debate.

Guys like HSG don't like drafting what they perceive to be as "JAGs"...other guys love the opportunity and see value if they wait on RB.

I think he's valued about right, but like I stated earlier Davis is a draft strategy dependent player IMHO.

Classic "JAG in a good situation" debate.

Guys like HSG don't like drafting what they perceive to be as "JAGs"...other guys love the opportunity and see value if they wait on RB.

I think he's valued about right, but like I stated earlier Davis is a draft strategy dependent player IMHO.
Situational value is totally a thing, I agree.

if I went TE, WR, WR, QB and Davis was the last player at his tier, even I might take him in that context/situation.

No one is a true DND. 👍🏼

You're correct though in saying I don’t love drafting JAG type players at 5th round ADP. If what gives them value is that they have opportunity, I’d often rather wait for a player who has better skills & less opportunity. Perfect example in my draft last Saturday when I let Davis go by, and selected Javonte Williams at the end of the next round.

IMO a player with better skills will get more opportunity as the season goes on - that’s the bet with Williams. 

My fear with guys like Davis is they may get less opportunity as the season goes on, because they’re not special players.

and if I’m 100% wrong about that & miss on what Joe & some of you feel is a value with Davis, I can live with that. We all value players differently. There are many ways to play this game.  :hifive:

When I write multiple choice test questions, I sometimes follow each one up with a "How confident are you in that answer?" type question. I picked Davis but I am only "somewhat confident" so I picked up Gallman as well.

Thanks.

If you have a pick and must choose between McCaffrey and Cook, how do you do it?

Joe, this seems like a very "wisdom of the crowd" type question, but I'll answer it a few ways. 

First: Bye weeks: Cook is week 7, Cmac Week 13. So, now, depending on the league this may matter.  In FFPC, I see some people taking neither and going with Kelce bc who wants their bellcow on a bye for the playoffs.  For leagues that did not adjust to this "wrinkle" the NFL threw at us, Cook may be the lean.  If not, then CMAC. (In my home league with the #1 pick I am taking CMAC but I think that there are 3 or 4 guys that may beat him for the #1 back if things go right for them)

Second: How many leagues are you in, and how many of them do you have the first pick.  You may want to hedge.

Third: Buying the backup.  If you are a handcuff guy, then before the season you had to pay up for Mattison but you didn't have a real indicator of CMAC backup so you could gamble.  Now they are both priced pretty close so this is negated (but it does enter into the next tier debate with Kamara, Jones, EE, etc.)

Finally: Just your gut.  CMAC had a two year window of success and then had the injury.  Usually RBs don't stay in the "top player" spot for a long lifespan while Cook has recovered from early dings in his career and is ascending. I feel that we are almost "herd mentality" priced into taking CMAC bc we don't want to look dumb if we had the chance to take him and passed.  Cook requires a few things to be your #1 pick: Balls to plant your flag, the ability to not second guess yourself on making this call, and finally the will to pull that trigger.  I think this is (again) why we see Kelce being bought up #1 in FFPC a lot.  People do not want to bet it all on CMAC, but Cook is not a perfect hedge either.

Situational value is totally a thing, I agree.

if I went TE, WR, WR, QB and Davis was the last player at his tier, even I might take him in that context/situation.

No one is a true DND. 👍🏼

You're correct though in saying I don’t love drafting JAG type players at 5th round ADP. If what gives them value is that they have opportunity, I’d often rather wait for a player who has better skills & less opportunity. Perfect example in my draft last Saturday when I let Davis go by, and selected Javonte Williams at the end of the next round.

IMO a player with better skills will get more opportunity as the season goes on - that’s the bet with Williams. 

My fear with guys like Davis is they may get less opportunity as the season goes on, because they’re not special players.

and if I’m 100% wrong about that & miss on what Joe & some of you feel is a value with Davis, I can live with that. We all value players differently. There are many ways to play this game.  :hifive:

I appreciate this take for sure.  I went kind of the opposite.  Had a solid top 4 picks and got to the 5th with Davis there.  Looked at the guys around him and said "He has the best volume upside of this group" so I went there.  I did take Sermon two rounds later (and Sony Michel and Chubba) So I am "hedging" that if Davis falters some of these dart throws may replace him but that's the way a draft usually breaks for RBs.  You can get a sure fire starter and he gets torpedoed on his third carry (marlon mack) and the future is now. 

I at least know Davis starts the season as the starter.

Users who are viewing this thread