What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Miles Sanders, CAR (2 Viewers)

Panthers head coach Frank Reich said the team’s backfield will be “a little bit by committee.”
Reich, who recently gave up play calling duties, did not commit to Miles Sanders as Carolina’s lead back when he returns from a shoulder injury. In Week 6 against the Dolphins, Chuba Hubbard logged 19 rushes for 88 yards and a touchdown and caught one two-yard pass. “Chuba’s looked good,” Reich said. “Obviously, we love Miles. And Miles has continued to make good progress. We’ll continue to get into this week a little bit. It’s always going to be a little bit by committee. That’s typically our approach. So the actual mix, that could vary week to week, so we’ll see how things play out this week.” Hubbard could take over as the team’s lead back but Sanders’ eventual return means Hubbard’s opportunities will be limited in a Panthers offense that will often find itself chasing points and abandoning the run.
Guessing they have a bit of buyer's remorse for the pretty nice contract they gave Sanders. Could be another catalyst for driving RB contracts down further in the next offseason.

Panthers head coach Frank Reich said the team’s backfield will be “a little bit by committee.”
Reich, who recently gave up play calling duties, did not commit to Miles Sanders as Carolina’s lead back when he returns from a shoulder injury. In Week 6 against the Dolphins, Chuba Hubbard logged 19 rushes for 88 yards and a touchdown and caught one two-yard pass. “Chuba’s looked good,” Reich said. “Obviously, we love Miles. And Miles has continued to make good progress. We’ll continue to get into this week a little bit. It’s always going to be a little bit by committee. That’s typically our approach. So the actual mix, that could vary week to week, so we’ll see how things play out this week.” Hubbard could take over as the team’s lead back but Sanders’ eventual return means Hubbard’s opportunities will be limited in a Panthers offense that will often find itself chasing points and abandoning the run.
Guessing they have a bit of buyer's remorse for the pretty nice contract they gave Sanders. Could be another catalyst for driving RB contracts down further in the next offseason.
Yep. I've spent the morning trying to dump by Miles Sanders share. Surprisenly nobody seems interested. Ha ha

Yep. I've spent the morning trying to dump by Miles Sanders share. Surprisenly nobody seems interested. Ha ha

I had an offer to start the season...don't think you could get anything for him now

Can’t remember looking forward to dropping someone this much.

Worse than useless.
ON RTS he's 90% rostered, I was surprised to see him on the WW this morning, almost picked him up but then you look at what's happened this season
I don't blame anyone who cuts hi/releases him right now

snaps
  • Chuba Hubbard - 40
  • Miles Sanders - 12
  • Raheem Blackshear - 9
touches
  • Chuba Hubbard - 17
  • Raheem Blackshear - 5
  • Miles Sanders - 2
YFS
  • Chuba Hubbard - 54
  • Raheem Blackshear - 22
  • Miles Sanders - 0

My word, I came into the year counting on this guy. Needless to say, I have a gaping hole at RB that needs to be addressed. This guy is deep in the doghouse as far as playing time goes.

He’s probably not 100% healthy, but at the end of the day, he seems to be an average talent who considerably benefited from the Eagles’ awesome OL.

I drafted Sanders as early season insurance against a slow start by Bijan Robinson. Given the way things were trending, I added Hubbard about a month ago. I think he's a drop for a player like Khalil Herbert. But what to do with Dameon Pierce? What has Alexander Mattison done to this point? I hope to package Pierce (more likely) or even Hubbard with some late round draft capital. If I have the better waiver claim, I'll throw that in too.

Point being, Mattison, Cam Akers, their circumstance has changed! Perhaps going forward there's greater emphasis placed on the ground game? Just speculating, Minnesota I would think are sellers now. Either 'back could get traded. I think Emari Demercado is an interesting target, has a tough week 9 matchup & Arizona hasn't scored playing on the road. Plus, James Conner is expected to return the following week.

But I've seen the play Conner was hurt on. He's running down the sideline & a defender has the angle on him. He should've braced himself for contact while aiming to get OOB. Instead he tries to break stride & pull his legs out away from the torpedoing tackler. He gets flipped around & lands on his back, but the injury isn't obvious to the eye. Given his age & history of injury, perhaps it didn't take much? Might the 1-7 Cardinals trade or shut him down? A number of weeks back he looked very pedestrian to me. Likely he does return & assumes lead role. That doesn't mean the volume will still be his alone. Could be, he ends up ineffective or hurt again.

Miles Sanders - another glaring example of why you just don't pay RB's big or moderately big money in today's NFL. Rumors are they might move on from him via trade today b/c he has been just awful in Carolina this year.

Miles Sanders - another glaring example of why you just don't pay RB's big or moderately big money in today's NFL. Rumors are they might move on from him via trade today b/c he has been just awful in Carolina this year.
Hadn't read they might move on. As a Sanders and Chubba owner I approve of this message. 1% chance it happens.

I'd be shocked if anyone would trade for him. This is one of the situations where Carolina would have to give the team sanders and a pick for a bag of peanuts

Are we sure Sanders has lost the backfield?

I get that he only got 2 carries coming off his injury but Chubbard was abysmal with his opportunity (28 yards on 15 Carries).

There is a non zero chance Sanders does better against Indy this week and is set for a smash spot against Chicago week 10.

I get that he only got 2 carries coming off his injury but Chubbard was abysmal with his opportunity (28 yards on 15 Carries).

There is a non zero chance Sanders does better against Indy this week and is set for a smash spot against Chicago week 10.

Are we sure it matters if he's lost the backfield or not? Unless Bryce Young has suddenly had the mental light switch turned on and will ball out the rest of season, I'm not going to be feeling great about starting any running back from the Panthers this year whether Sanders, Hubbard, or anyone else.

Are we sure it matters if he's lost the backfield or not? Unless Bryce Young has suddenly had the mental light switch turned on and will ball out the rest of season, I'm not going to be feeling great about starting any running back from the Panthers this year whether Sanders, Hubbard, or anyone else.

I’m actually in agreement with you and heavily considering dropping but the one factor would be if Carolina ends up giving Miles volume like they did in the start of the season once they see Chubbard is a better COP back. Matchups ROS are terrible but volume is volume.

What a horrible backfield to own. I own both. Smh. Got.one start out of Sanders. Both average players. Fantasy playoffs have good matchups. Maybe this will clear up by week 15? Ha ha

I went to playerprofiler.com to check on the tendencies for Sanders. Average number of defenders in the box, if you can believe it, 6.3! That's way down there, 63rd in the league. His base & stacked front carry rates aren't that low but they're down there too. His light front carry rate, a tick above 65%, 5th in the NFL. Add to that a negative game script of -4.77 points. So, often behind on the scoreboard. I would assume, a lot of 11 personnel, a lot of spread formation. I see that 2/3rd of his carries are out of shotgun formation. Can't say for sure but we often see this play. The QB is in the gun & the RB is positioned adjacent to him. The ball is snapped & everybody explodes off the LOS. Except two guys, the QB & the ball carrier. The QB receives the snap, pivots & sticks the ball into the belly of the RB. Flat-footed, he's then to make something out of that.

All throughout the history of football, that has to be the worst play run by every team in every game! Then why do teams run it? My guess is for the most part, it has replaced the old draw play. Offenses pass far more than before, the defensive mix to get to the QB, at times very elaborate. Yet the draw play, rendered obsolete. All I can think is that defenses are faster, better athletes who can quickly disengage & redirect. The draw is time-intensive, slower to develop. More than before, the QB himself is capable of running. Which also adds the versatility of pass or run. They look to throw but what they wanted isn't there, but a rush lane is.

The other thing that's gone is the QB's follow-through. Used to be from under center the QB would take a 3, 5 or 7 step drop. That last step was often a determined plant & sink. Then his follow through up out of it referred to as "climbing the pocket". The rise back up, the forward momentum, finally the plant step & over the top release. The knee on the plant foot, really vulnerable. Gone. Just a week or two ago Brock Purdy himself acknowledging he doesn't have one of the better arms in the league. But there he is, back there throwing off his back foot. I've seen him fade on some of those, even when he doesn't have to. I mean, whatever.

Dropped in 1 of my redrafts this morning. Contemplating dropping Antonio Gibson for him but feel like it doesn't really matter, they're both just heartbreak spelled differently.

Dropped in 1 of my redrafts this morning. Contemplating dropping Antonio Gibson for him but feel like it doesn't really matter, they're both just heartbreak spelled differently.
I hear you. I'm the #2 team in a 12 team FFPC league and own Sanders, Gibson, and Pierce. Achane carried me early and JT doing ok now, just hope it will be wheels up for those 2 without needing the other 3.

Going to be interesting to see if he's in fact done in the minds of the coaching staff or it was a big wake up call and he'll get a share this weekend

Going to be interesting to see if he's in fact done in the minds of the coaching staff or it was a big wake up call and he'll get a share this weekend
All I know is Hubbard could only muster 28 yards on 15 carries and since that time I've heard Frank after the game commend Thielen for making a play when he said Miles ran the wrong route and almost messed up the play and today Thomas Brown say Chubba has "that dog mentality" about him.

Just trying to put different things together since no beat writers seem to want to report on this but even with Chubba having an unproductive day he's getting praised and Miles is getting blamed for running wrong routes, none of which sounds to me that the staff is endeared to Sanders right now.

Users who are viewing this thread