What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Peyton Barber, LV - 9.4.21 Signs with Las Vegas (2 Viewers)

Redskins signed RB Peyton Barber, formerly of the Bucs, to a two-year, $3 million contract. 

The deal includes $600,000 guaranteed. One of the most plodding runners in the league, Barber will serve as experienced depth behind an ancient Adrian Peterson and injury-prone Derrius Guice. Barber is capable of doing a little bit of everything as a running back, but the problem is that he's not above average at any of it. The 26-year-old should not be considered guaranteed to crack the Redskins' 53-man roster, though he will definitely be given the benefit of the doubt. 

RELATED: 

Tampa Bay Buccaneers

SOURCE: Jeremy Fowler on Twitter 

Mar 24, 2020, 3:20 PM ET

Either Love is not coming along well, AP decided to return to his home alien planet,  or this is just a body for training camp? 

ESPN's John Keim reports Washington believes RB Peyton Barber has "every-down ability."

Washington RB coach Randy Jordan also said, "He gives you thump just like Adrian Peterson does. He's a pro's pro." Barber played more than half of the Bucs' offensive snaps in 2018 when he handled 234 carries and 29 targets, but he has been a committee back in his other three seasons. This year, he'll compete with Adrian Peterson on early downs and Antonio Gibson on passing downs, with J.D. McKissic and Bryce Love also in the mix. It's a depth chart that is open for the taking following Derrius Guice's release, but it's hard to buy this report until we see how the team is splitting touches in actual training camp practices. Barber certainly is a wait-and-see fantasy asset in most leagues.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 9, 2020, 11:49 PM ET

ESPN's John Keim reports Washington believes RB Peyton Barber has "every-down ability."

Washington RB coach Randy Jordan also said, "He gives you thump just like Adrian Peterson does. He's a pro's pro." Barber played more than half of the Bucs' offensive snaps in 2018 when he handled 234 carries and 29 targets, but he has been a committee back in his other three seasons. This year, he'll compete with Adrian Peterson on early downs and Antonio Gibson on passing downs, with J.D. McKissic and Bryce Love also in the mix. It's a depth chart that is open for the taking following Derrius Guice's release, but it's hard to buy this report until we see how the team is splitting touches in actual training camp practices. Barber certainly is a wait-and-see fantasy asset in most leagues.

SOURCE: ESPN.com

Aug 9, 2020, 11:49 PM ET
Isn't this guy a very very below average RB?

Peyton Barber rushed 17 times for 29 yards and two touchdowns in Washington's Week 1 win over the Eagles. 

Barber was not targeted in the passing game. Now that's a Peyton Barber box score. The plodding veteran out-snapped Antonio Gibson 38-18, though he only out-touched him 17-11. Barber could remain the carries leader for several more weeks, but he has a nonexistent ceiling while both Gibson's floor and ceiling will be on the rise. Gibson is the only WFT back worth considering 12-team leagues. 

Sep 14, 2020, 2:13 PM ET

Peyton Barber rushed 14 times for 23 yards and a touchdown in Washington's Week 13 win over the Steelers. 

Barber was tasked with rushing duties after Antonio Gibson suffered a toe injury in the first quarter. While unable to get anything going as a runner, Barber did punch in a goal-line for Washington's first score. He did not see a target. If Gibson misses Week 14, Barber would be a weak RB3 option that is solely dependant on finding the end zone.

Dec 7, 2020, 9:36 PM ET

Ian Rapoport

@RapSheet

·

A new RB in Vegas

Quote Tweet

Ben Standig

@BenStandig

· 

The Raiders are signing RB Peyton Barber off of Washington’s practice squad, per source. Barber will join the 53-player roster in Las Vegas.

NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reports Raiders RB Peyton Barber is expected to "handle some of the lead back duties" in Week 2 against the Steelers.

Kenyan Drake, the expected starter with Josh Jacobs (ankle) out, won't be stepping into the lead back role, according to Rapoport. This falls in line with coach Jon Gruden's comments, who talked up Barber at Friday's press conference. There's a good chance Drake still leads the Raiders in Week 2 snaps, but Barber looks like the one-for-one replacement for Jacobs as the favorite for early down and red-zone work.

—————————-

If I needed a RB this week, I’d consider him. I see he’s now listed as 5’11, 220 which is bigger than I remember? 

PIT is less than an ideal matchup, but who knows how long Jacobs will be out. 

Drake is probably the better play, but Barber is free & likely went un-drafted in most leagues. 

Anyway, FYI. :shrug:  

I own Jacobs with Barber, Sermon and Zack Moss on my bench. I simply cannot get excited enough to consider playing Barber.

Both Sermon and Moss have a legitimate chance to receive zero touches. But I still have no interest in starting Barber at Pittsburgh even though he has a clear path to touches. 

Barber's YPC has dropped every year he has been in the league. He's just so...boring.

Honestly what's his upside this week? 40 yards, 1 catch and a score? At the most?

Last edited by a moderator:
I own Jacobs with Barber, Sermon and Zack Moss on my bench. I simply cannot get excited enough to consider playing Barber.
Probably the difference between week 2 & week 12.

not that anyone should ever be “excited” about starting Barber, but in week 12 he’d be a “2:00 fox” for sure. 

Week 2 I’m reasonably sure teams have better options. 

Maybe not even for a  “zero RB” roster situation. But maybe. 

Both Sermon and Moss have a legitimate chance to receive zero touches. But I still have no interest in starting Barber at Pittsburgh even though he has a clear path to touches. 

Barber's YPC has dropped every year he has been in the league. He's just so...boring.

Honestly what's his upside this week? 40 yards, 1 catch and a score? At the most?
Probably 10 carries for 29 yards, and maybe, just maybe Barber falls in the end zone.  

If you looked up "mediocrity" in Webster's Dictionary, you'd find Barber's face right next to it.   Barber is the RB equivalent of Nathan Peterman.   

Barber's YPC has dropped every year he has been in the league.
A lot of this has to do with his role changing to being more of a short yardage RB. 

Should be interesting to see how Gruden uses him. To his credit Gruden made Booker look decent and he has a history of liking banger-type RBs. 

Peyton Barber rushed 23 times for 111 yards and one score, hauling in 3-of-5 targets for 31 yards in Las Vegas' Week 3 win against the Dolphins.

Barber out-touched Kenyan Drake, the league's highest-paid backup, 26 to 11 in the former's second consecutive spot-start for Josh Jacobs, eventually replacing Drake as the team's third-down back mid-game. Barber was admittedly spry and patient between the 20s, even setting up Las Vegas' game-winning field goal with a 27-yard dash and 4/40 rushing on the final drive. With 36 carries over the last two weeks and the Chargers' run-funnel defense on deck, Barber should be claimed off fantasy waivers as a touch-based RB3/4 just in case Jacobs remains sidelined for Week 4.

I'll say this for Jon Gruden; he was 100% honest in how he said he'd use Kenyan Drake and Peyton Barber. In a game that featured various game scripts, Barber had 57% of the snaps to Drake's 45%, had much more carries (23-8), and even saw more targets than Drake (5-4). He also surprisingly looked spry in the 2nd half/OT of Week 3 after looking turrible in the 1st half; if Jacobs is out again he'll face a Chargers team that definitely can be run on.

I'll say this for Jon Gruden; he was 100% honest in how he said he'd use Kenyan Drake and Peyton Barber. In a game that featured various game scripts, Barber had 57% of the snaps to Drake's 45%, had much more carries (23-8), and even saw more targets than Drake (5-4). He also surprisingly looked spry in the 2nd half/OT of Week 3 after looking turrible in the 1st half; if Jacobs is out again he'll face a Chargers team that definitely can be run on.
It was a shocking development.

Probably his career game but...what if he's another example of Dumblegruden's magic?

Is he a must add for Jacobs owners? A weekly flex starter with upside?

:rolleyes:

Using basic-level intelligence we know it's Jacobs' backfield when healthy; Barber would only have value if Jacobs is out of the picture (and Ricard, for that matter). Peyton Barber's usefulness at most is one more week in a decent matchup, unless Jacobs ankle/toe injuries are worse than the Raiders let on. The Wednesday practice report will tell the tale.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden said he's "not going to hesitate to put him (Peyton Barber) in a primary role."

This came after Gruden noted that Josh Jacobs was questionable for the Raiders' Monday Night game versus the Chargers. Jacobs is dealing with an ankle injury but appeared to return to practice on Thursday. It's safe to assume that Gruden will only ride Barber if Jacobs is inactive, despite his glowing comments on the journeyman runner. Barber tallied 23 carries and five targets in the Raiders' Week 3 win. They'll be underdogs against Los Angeles which will ensure Barber doesn't log 26 touches again but he could be in line for RB2 numbers if Jacobs can't go. Kenyan Drake saw 11 touches last week and is nothing more than a deep FLEX option.

RELATED: 

Josh Jacobs

, Kenyan Drake

SOURCE: Paul Gutierrez on Twitter

Sep 30, 2021, 6:21 PM ET

For a guy who has never been a fan of the talent, I'm somewhat intrigued by this situation.   I think Jacobs might be one of the more rickety lead backs this season.    Scooped Barber in redraft and dynasty and I'm going to try to hold until Jacobs proves himself fully healthy.

I'll put it this way, I was on Alex Collins because of Carson's injury potential.   I think Jacobs has surpassed Carson for injury probability this season.   Based on the other mouths to feed in the Seattle backfield, along with Gruden's proven willingness to make Barber a bell cow, this is the injury stash roster spot that I have shifted to.  But no, I don't think I will be able to justify the spot for long if Jacobs looks fully healthy. 

Kevin Bolinger

@KevinFOX5Vegas

Josh Jacobs at practice for the second straight day. No noticeable limp. #RaiderNation

1:54 PM · Oct 1, 2021·Twitter for iPhone

For a guy who has never been a fan of the talent, I'm somewhat intrigued by this situation.   I think Jacobs might be one of the more rickety lead backs this season.    Scooped Barber in redraft and dynasty and I'm going to try to hold until Jacobs proves himself fully healthy.

I'll put it this way, I was on Alex Collins because of Carson's injury potential.   I think Jacobs has surpassed Carson for injury probability this season.   Based on the other mouths to feed in the Seattle backfield, along with Gruden's proven willingness to make Barber a bell cow, this is the injury stash roster spot that I have shifted to.  But no, I don't think I will be able to justify the spot for long if Jacobs looks fully healthy. 
If Barber is sitting unclaimed on a waiver wire he seems like a fine add. He played great last week. 

I’d be cautious about investing any resources on PB though. For your Barber lotto ticket to cash you essentially need to hit a 3 team parlay:

1) First, like you said, Jacobs’ injury has to recur or linger. That could happen but in the Raiders practice footage from Thursday  and Friday Jacobs seemed to be moving around well.

2) Next Kenyan Drake probably has to remain in the doghouse. I don’t think much of Drake, but the team invested a lot of money in him and historically even though his tape hasn’t been amazing he’s certainly been better than Barber. Last week Drake got benched for missing a pass pro assignment which allowed Barber’s role to expand from sharing early down work to carrying the full load on every down. Just based on the team’s investment alone Drake may be given another chance which would badly hurt Barber’s outlook.

3) Lastly Barber needs to keep playing great like he did last week, and not like he has for pretty much the rest of his career.

So you need all of 3 things to happen and your side of the bet is probably the underdog for all 3. Triple underdog parlays do hit from time to time but they don’t usually hit.

My thinking is why try to buck the odds like that? There’s nothing wrong with taking a free flier on Barber but it’s a low odds play in my eyes, the opposite of “intriguing.”

To me the long term winning approach in FF is pretty straightforward: A) get good players and B) don’t mess things up with fancy plays or over coaching. Peyton Barber and Alex Collins haven’t flashed a lot of talent so why angle and maneuver and throw your pennies in the wishing well hoping for injuries to elevate a questionable player? I’d rather take the opposite approach and see what it takes to get Jacobs if his owner is concerned or down on him or if people are attaching a lot of weight to what happened last week.

We've seen the Barber movie many times before.  He'll string together a couple good weeks, get people's hopes up, then fade to oblivion.  If Jacobs is out he's a very solid play this week.  Then we'll see.

Kenyan Drake can’t do anything besides catch the ball for this team, basically one yard a carry, they probably regret signing him for that much money to begin with. He woulda gotten a crack to be a main bellcow and he was usurped by Peyton barber, who looks great. That should tell you all you need to know about drake this year. He’s a low end ppr flex snd I doubt anything changes all year. 

barber dominated last week, and I don’t care about the past. I care about this raiders team, him being used in a good way, and him producing in dominant fashion while showing pass catching chops. This offense looks legit top 10 with good scheme and dangerous weapons. 

barbers definitely a hold and I’m starting him as a heavy underdog gambling that Jacobs doesn’t play 

Barber owners who don't own Jacobs...you holding?

Signs point to Jacobs playing. Also, the game is on Monday night so we're not going to know until tmrw.

Want to hold, but other options out there to fill gaps prior to 1pm kickoffs.

Signs point to Jacobs playing. Also, the game is on Monday night so we're not going to know until tmrw.

Want to hold, but other options out there to fill gaps prior to 1pm kickoffs.
Holding for now. Jacobs has been somewhat injury prone and there wasn't a clear designation of what his injuries were (ankle/toe? If toe maybe turf toe?). Jalen Ricard is more likely to take work away from Drake, not Barber in case of a Jacobs injury. And though we know Drake is good,  Gruden has been crystal clear how he thinks of Barber and Drake.

electric Ape said:
My thinking is why try to buck the odds like that? There’s nothing wrong with taking a free flier on Barber but it’s a low odds play in my eyes, the opposite of “intriguing.”

Depends on league.   In my 14-team re-draft a backup that you can scoop for free playing behind a lead RB that has the injury seal broken (groin no less), and also plays for a HC with an old school mentality willing to give the free fantasy FA big carries if the lead back goes down, that qualifies as intriguing.  I've never found the talent intriguing, but perhaps there's enough meat and potatoes running there to take advantage of the opportunity if it comes.   To get a situation like this where the talent is intriguing usually costs an 8th or 9th round pick in August.   But yes, in the event of a Jacobs injury it's certainly possible that the split in fantasy value between Drake and Barber ends up 50-50 or in Drake's favor, despite how week 3 played out. 

My free agent options are generally commensurate with a lot of the backs listed in the RB lotto ticket thread.   There are injury stash RB talents better than Barber, but you can usually project a split with at least one other guy at best, or more likely a 40-60ish value share if the injury happens.   From that standpoint, guys like Barber and Alex Collins are intriguing because there's a real path to 15 carries per game if the injury susceptible lead backs go down.  

Yep, holding for now.   I would actually prefer to see Jacobs out there tonight.    If he proves himself healthy with no setbacks, then I can move on with the roster spot.   For Barber to have real value, I think it would take a 3-4 week injury.    If it's week-to-week murkyness about how limited Jacobs might be, I don't know that there's a lot of appeal to holding.   Clarity on Jacobs is a good thing. 

Peyton Barber could miss multiple weeks with a turf toe injury.

Barber suffered the injury in Week 4 and ended up rushing just once in the Raiders' loss to the Chargers. The Raiders would likely have used Barber in a pure backup role over the next few weeks anyway, with Josh Jacobs (ankle) close to full health. Jacobs should form a two-man committee with Kenyan Drake in Barber's absence. Barber can safely be dropped, even in deep redraft leagues.

RELATED: 

Josh Jacobs

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Oct 6, 2021, 11:56 AM ET

Users who are viewing this thread