What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (2 Viewers)

Still not sure what Im doing here at flex...Mostert removed from injury report at all...have Wilson in at flex...and while its a great matchup...seems im hoping for a TD for the only way to make it worth it.  Feels like 30 yards and 3ish points is as likely as some huge day out of him.  Higher ceiling I guess TD wise than my other options

Gus or Curtis Samuel tonight.

Ive liked what Samuel does...his floor seems to be that 5 points or so...with 100 yards and a TD upside.

Still not sure what Im doing here at flex...Mostert removed from injury report at all...have Wilson in at flex...and while its a great matchup...seems im hoping for a TD for the only way to make it worth it.  Feels like 30 yards and 3ish points is as likely as some huge day out of him.  Higher ceiling I guess TD wise than my other options

Gus or Curtis Samuel tonight.

Ive liked what Samuel does...his floor seems to be that 5 points or so...with 100 yards and a TD upside.
same. I have Mostert and Wilson. I feel they will split time and I'm scared to start either of them.

Semis this week and I’m starting Mostert over Carson or Akers (not sure which yet but Mostert upside in this matchup is too tasty to pass up). My opponent is starting Wilson. Will be interesting for sure. 
In that situation I might lean away from Mostert.  If he has a big game it takes away from Wilson and vice versa.  By playing Akers (he would be my choice) you don't get hurt if Wilson has a big game by it double dipping against your Mostert.

In that situation I might lean away from Mostert.  If he has a big game it takes away from Wilson and vice versa.  By playing Akers (he would be my choice) you don't get hurt if Wilson has a big game by it double dipping against your Mostert.
That makes too much sense!!

I rarely win championships. 

B/w Wilson/Mostert as well....my thoughts:

• obviously a dream matchup for either
  • we can't trust shannahan at all, i especially don't trust him with Mostert's health
  • The 9ers aren't mathematically eliminated yet
  • As many pointed out, Mostert could break one, but Wilson will be getting the red zone touches
  • Checked multiple projections/rankings sites and they're all within a point or two of each other either way
  • To me, I think it boils down to if the game is close, Shanny will be playing both....if it gets out of hand either way, Mostert is getting pulled

As of 8:12 CST, I have Wilson in right now...mostly due to goalline touches...but will be monitoring

I am starting Kamara and Carson the week, 2nd round of playoffs, 1 PPR.  But have been struggling between Mostert and Hines at my flex spot.  Dallas run D is putrid, and I say this as a long time Dallas fan.  But Mostert is not a slam dunk with the ankle issue and Wilson getting goal line carries. Right now I am leaning towards Hines...but I have changed them back and forth several times already. Going to be a last minute decision. 

In a PPR need 2 of 

Gus, Gallman, Gibson, and Mostert.

Or only 1 if I go 3WR. Will go Thielen and Cooks but third WR would come from:

AB, Coutee, Perriman, and Watkins
So with Brees back I picked up Sanders off the wire and will go 3 wide (Thielen, Cooks, and Sanders).

My last agonizing decision is Gallman or Mostert. Gallman feels like the safer pick but Mostert feels like the potential home run.

In my other league I had Jeff Wilson slotted in at RB2 but replaced him with Pollard.

I wondered where all these Mostert fans came from then I realized the josh Gordon thread has been dormant this year. It was a good risk reward play once upon a time, but now Lucy is just yanking the football away repeating 

Raheem Mostert rushed 14 times for 68 yards before exiting with an ankle injury in the 49ers' Week 15 loss to the Cowboys. 

Mostert suffered the ankle injury while being taken down on a carry but his ankle wasn't hit on the tackle. He may have suffered an ankle sprain or reaggravated the original sprain that kept him out for much of the middle part of this season. He was soaking up carries early in the game and would remain an RB2 if he can play in Week 16 but that looks to be in doubt for now. Jeff Wilson would take over as the lead-back if Mostert does miss time.

Dec 20, 2020, 5:55 PM ET

49ers RB Raheem Mostert’s season is likely over after suffering another high-ankle sprain on his previously injured ankle, source said.

Moe Green said:
Still won my game, doesn't change the fact that he's been garbage injured.
FYP - when healthy he was explosive and made game changing plays.  Injuries to an ankle for a speed guy that is a one cut and go burner will really restrict your output.  Mostert was still easily the best RB on the roster when healthy.  He is a buy low in dynasty for me because I am sure his owners are frustrated and worried about his age.  I believe he can be had for dirt cheap.

Yeah, I'll never understand why players are called garbage when they have lingering injuries.  Some people need to find a new hobby.

FYP - when healthy he was explosive and made game changing plays.  Injuries to an ankle for a speed guy that is a one cut and go burner will really restrict your output.  Mostert was still easily the best RB on the roster when healthy.  He is a buy low in dynasty for me because I am sure his owners are frustrated and worried about his age.  I believe he can be had for dirt cheap.
I sold for a second rounder. He's 29 and oft-injured. That makes two of the last three seasons he's missed more than half his games. He's not a great buy. 

I sold for a second rounder. He's 29 and oft-injured. That makes two of the last three seasons he's missed more than half his games. He's not a great buy. 
To me that is too much to pay.  I am saying buy only if dirt cheap.  Get him as a throw in to make a deal happen.  Not pay anything of consequence.  Upside is there if you can get him for not much. 

To me that is too much to pay.  I am saying buy only if dirt cheap.  Get him as a throw in to make a deal happen.  Not pay anything of consequence.  Upside is there if you can get him for not much. 
Oh, you mean dirt cheap. Then I wouldn't sell likely. I thought a second was a haul for the guy. Turns out to be the 19th pick in our draft as the guy lost immediately in the playoffs. I'll take the dart throw. He may very well have a good year next year if he's still with San Francisco and they don't draft anyone. Then he is indeed their best option when he's healthy. But you have to assume they're bringing guys in with Coleman and McKinnon departing.

IR per rotoworld
49ers placed RB Raheem Mostert on injured reserve with a left high-ankle sprain, ending his season. 

It's to the same ankle that cost Mostert four games earlier this season. 28-year-old Mostert showed more flashes of speed-based brilliance this year, but he ended up appearing in only eight contests. That's not a great way for a player nearing 30 to head into the offseason, but Mostert is signed through 2021. The 49ers' backfield was completely adrift without him this season, so he should likely be back at his scheduled $2.975 million salary. Coach Kyle Shanahan will need a running back revamp, however, after this year's piecemeal committee approach went entirely to pieces. Mostert should be held onto in Dynasty leagues, but he should not be considered a guaranteed 2021 starter. 

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter 

Dec 22, 2020, 2:15 PM ET

With Mostert, the question is always health but he's a bargain right now.  He has a 5.6 career YPC and everything about the situation is set up perfectly for him.  I think 200-210 carries is likely his ceiling but he can still get to 1,300 (total) yards/7 td's on that number.  He's such a special talent - I think he has a Jamaal Charles-esque season in him (not Charles' best years  - look at 2009 or 2014) if he can ever play a full season or close to it. 

I have been trying to deal him since late last season in a 12 team PPR where I am 1-2 years away but have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to wait for him to flash again in-season before getting anything for him.  Can't get a 2nd out of anyone.  Might as well hold and see if he catches lightning again before trying to deal him.

I have been trying to deal him since late last season in a 12 team PPR where I am 1-2 years away but have resigned myself to the fact that I will have to wait for him to flash again in-season before getting anything for him.  Can't get a 2nd out of anyone.  Might as well hold and see if he catches lightning again before trying to deal him.
Sermon is getting all the love.  Mostert is a great value now in drafts but for trying to move him nobody will pay anywhere close to his value.   You can maybe shop him to the Sermon owner and he might be willing to give up something.  

Gally said:
Sermon is getting all the love.  Mostert is a great value now in drafts but for trying to move him nobody will pay anywhere close to his value.   You can maybe shop him to the Sermon owner and he might be willing to give up something.  
Tried that...rejected an offer of Mostert for a 2022 2nd - rejected with no counter.  Like I said, I am fine to wait it out now and hope someone values him at a 2nd sometime in-season.

Tried that...rejected an offer of Mostert for a 2022 2nd - rejected with no counter.  Like I said, I am fine to wait it out now and hope someone values him at a 2nd sometime in-season.
I also think he kind of fits in that no man's trade land where the owner wants too much because of the potential and the buyer doesn't want to pay much because of the risk.  It's just too far so you are better off holding.

TS Garp said:
With Mostert, the question is always health but he's a bargain right now.  He has a 5.6 career YPC and everything about the situation is set up perfectly for him.  I think 200-210 carries is likely his ceiling but he can still get to 1,300 (total) yards/7 td's on that number.  He's such a special talent - I think he has a Jamaal Charles-esque season in him (not Charles' best years  - look at 2009 or 2014) if he can ever play a full season or close to it. 
I believe Hyde in 2017 is the only Shanahan RB who topped 200 carries in the last 7 years. He likes having multiple weapons in the backfield, whether its an RB or one of the versatile WRs. Their scheme is incredibly effective at getting favorable blocking matchups. Mostert is a very talented athlete - had the two fastest ball carrier plays of the year in 2020 - but honestly any one-cut speedster should succeed in that offense.

The problem is he is a 29 year old RB that has never had a good season, just a handful of good games. I am a Sermon owner in dynasty and would like to acquire him, but a 3rd rounder would be the starting point for discussion.

The problem is he is a 29 year old RB that has never had a good season, just a handful of good games. I am a Sermon owner in dynasty and would like to acquire him, but a 3rd rounder would be the starting point for discussion.
I agree with this.  On a RB needy team I could pay a 2nd, but I offered a similarly valued player in D. Slayton and was countered with my Claypool for Mostert.  That was a hard pass.

I agree with this.  On a RB needy team I could pay a 2nd, but I offered a similarly valued player in D. Slayton and was countered with my Claypool for Mostert.  That was a hard pass.
D. Slayton isn't bringing a whole ton back these days. I roster him. I'm not even counting on him starting for my team in a league where you can trot out 5 WRs. He's not enough for a potential starting RB. He's almost surely not starting in two-receiver sets on his own club. Claypool as a counteroffer is kind of a joke, though, and worse than the Slayton offer.

D. Slayton isn't bringing a whole ton back these days. I roster him. I'm not even counting on him starting for my team in a league where you can trot out 5 WRs. He's not enough for a potential starting RB. He's almost surely not starting in two-receiver sets on his own club. Claypool as a counteroffer is kind of a joke, though, and worse than the Slayton offer.
I don't value Slayton much, but was drafted a few rounds after Mostert in our startup this offseason.  Slayton was a thrown in from a different deal (maybe I should try to trade him back since he may be higher on him than most others) This was a startup before the NFL draft so my thinking was Mostert slipped down a bit.  I value Mostert higher esp when I need RB so I agree Mostert is worth more.  

Raheem Mostert has been practicing with a knee brace during 49ers training camp.

Mostert noted that he doesn’t plan to wear the brace in games, but he wants it during practices for extra protection. While the injury never appeared threatening, it’s good news to see the 29-year-old back after he missed minicamp, especially since he struggled with ankle issues in 2020. With Jeff Wilson expected to miss a significant portion of the season following meniscus surgery, Mostert and third-round rookie Trey Sermon will shoulder most of the load in San Francisco.

SOURCE: Nick Wagoner on Twitter

Jul 29, 2021, 6:48 PM ET

Raheem Mostert started the 49ers' final preseason game, rushing seven times for 53 yards. 

Mostert looked as quick as ever, ripping off 7.6 yards per carry on the Niners' first series. Trey Sermon took over for the second possession, and Mostert's day was done. Mostert looks set to form a committee with Sermon. While Sermon may ultimately lead the backfield in carries, Mostert's elite breakaway speed gives him upside even in a limited role.

RELATED: 

Trey Sermon

Aug 29, 2021, 6:05 PM ET

NFL Week 1 fantasy football questions and answers: 32 reporters give advice on Julio Jones, Ravens running backs, more

Excerpt:

What does the Raheem Mostert/Trey Sermon touch split look like?

There's little reason to believe the 49ers will stray from the "hot hand" approach they've taken under coach Kyle Shanahan. Which is to say that they'll give Mostert and Sermon (and possibly Elijah Mitchell) opportunities, and whoever seems to be rolling will get the most work. That said, Mostert looked really good in the preseason and camp and Shanahan has said he wants to see what Mostert could do if healthy and able to stay on the field over the course of the season. If things go according to plan and everyone stays healthy, Mostert should be in the 17- to 20-touch range with Sermon probably closer to 9 to 12. -- Nick Wagoner

I think the touch distribution is going to be closer to 15-15. Mostert has only had 20 attempts once in an entire career. There's a reason for that.

I think the touch distribution is going to be closer to 15-15. Mostert has only had 20 attempts once in an entire career. There's a reason for that.
Mostert had 6 games last season where he wasn't injured, he had 18+ touches in 3 of them. The other 3 games were 14, 16, and 10. The 10 and the 14 were both games where SF fell behind big early(Buffalo and Miami respectively) 

I'm expecting a 65-35 spilt, in Mostert's favor, at least early in the year.

Mostert had 6 games last season where he wasn't injured, he had 18+ touches in 3 of them. The other 3 games were 14, 16, and 10. The 10 and the 14 were both games where SF fell behind big early(Buffalo and Miami respectively) 

I'm expecting a 65-35 spilt, in Mostert's favor, at least early in the year.
I'm a sermon owner in every league Im in and I'd sign for this

By your math, you're expecting Sermon to get around 10 touches? A guy the 49ers aggressively pursued in the draft and have been pleased with throughout preseason?
Pretty much yeah. He's still a rookie, and Mostert has been extremely productive. 10 touches is more than what the non-Mostert RB's averaged in those 6 games he was healthy for, but its likely the 49ers are a better offense/team this year, so it stands to reason they'll have more rushing attempts in general. 

Pretty much yeah. He's still a rookie, and Mostert has been extremely productive. 10 touches is more than what the non-Mostert RB's averaged in those 6 games he was healthy for, but its likely the 49ers are a better offense/team this year, so it stands to reason they'll have more rushing attempts in general. 

Looks like Vegas is setting the over/under on Sermon rushing attempts at 10 and catches at 1.5. Good call.

Users who are viewing this thread