What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (2 Viewers)

This is why I drafted Sermon everywhere I could get him, even in redraft in the sixth/seventh.

You can all laugh now with those rolling emojis.
I was pretty big on Mostert the past two seasons, but he totally burned me with his injuries last year.  Sermon went in the 4th round in my draft, and I got Mostert late in the 7th.  I thought I got killer value, and even went so far as to talk #### to the Sermon owner when he was declared inactive.  :bag:

He looked good in his two carries.....

As a 49er fan, I'm over Mostert. If he could stay healthy he would set records, but he can't be counted on at all. 2 carries and out for 8 weeks? Smh.
When healthy he's a total beast, but as you said..... 2 carries and out 8 weeks.  Ooooof.  

This is why I drafted Sermon everywhere I could get him, even in redraft in the sixth/seventh.

You can all laugh now with those rolling emojis.
I have to agree again with you and I did the same for the same reason.  They love Mostert and he's great for the 10 carries before he breaks down.  It sucks for the Mostert owners that he didn't make it through one quarter before getting injured.  I agree though that who knows what situation he walks into when he returns given that they have rookies in Sermon / Mitchell that may take the job and run with it.  If you can stash him on IR you might as well but if you have to use a roster that's a long time in a valuable part of the season to use a roster spot on him.

On the subject of Mostert, I watched him run against Green Bay in that NFC Championship Game and thought "if the guy with that build constantly runs like that, he'll get killed in the NFL."

My eyes were not lyin'. He kept running like that, and he's hurt all the time.

I have to agree again with you and I did the same for the same reason.  They love Mostert and he's great for the 10 carries before he breaks down.  It sucks for the Mostert owners that he didn't make it through one quarter before getting injured.  I agree though that who knows what situation he walks into when he returns given that they have rookies in Sermon / Mitchell that may take the job and run with it.  If you can stash him on IR you might as well but if you have to use a roster that's a long time in a valuable part of the season to use a roster spot on him.
Yeah, I was more making a Sermon comment. This is why everybody who was paying attention in the off-season in dynasty tried to obtain Mitchell if they had Sermon. This exact scenario. In my two dynasty leagues, the guy who drafted Sermon wanted Mitchell, but Mitchell went real early. I moved up to get Sermon in my other draft and didn't have a pick until after Mitchell was gone. I was bummed.

This is why.

Dropped this guy before this weekend, but was ignorant of this thread. Read it to see why someone in my league spent 8 out of his 25 waiver wire dollars on him. As a beginner, it's so odd to see all this positive speculation on him yesterday before the game, and then he does the same thing he has done for years - get hurt after only a few carries. Respectfully, I am not sure why anyone expected different. Are RBs known to emerge at this age or something? I think he's only gonna break out if he runs more conservatively to preserve his body when in traffic.

Raheem Mostert's agent told NBC Sports Bay Area that he has "been in touch" with the 49ers about a reunion. 

Mostert's cartilage repair was not simple, as he had to wait for a cartilage donor. But the veteran who turns 30 in April has always been a Kyle Shanahan favorite. If he re-signed with the 49ers, it would put a dent in Elijah Mitchell's value and possibly even hurt Deebo Samuel's rushing upside. Mostert could also make sense for the offshoots of the Shanahan regime in Miami and with the Jets. 

SOURCE: NBC Sports Bay Area

Feb 25, 2022, 4:58 PM ET

Honestly, if he's fully healthy, and good to go. I think Mostert is the best RB in free agency, especially as he'll have a discounted price. He's a top-20 NFL RB whenever he's on the field. 

He's tough to count on in fantasy, but he's also more than good enough to be a huge factor to any RB he shares a team with.

Honestly, if he's fully healthy, and good to go. I think Mostert is the best RB in free agency, especially as he'll have a discounted price. He's a top-20 NFL RB whenever he's on the field. 

He's tough to count on in fantasy, but he's also more than good enough to be a huge factor to any RB he shares a team with.
There’s not much of a market for a 30yo RB with a career high of 137 carries. But he’d be a fine backup or 2nd part of a committee. 
fournette should get more. 

There’s not much of a market for a 30yo RB with a career high of 137 carries. But he’d be a fine backup or 2nd part of a committee. 
fournette should get more. 
I'm not expecting much of a huge market for Mostert, I just think he's going to be the best value if he can stay on the field.

Conversely, I would want nothing to do with Fournette. He was decent in TB, but that feels 99% situation dependent. Nobody was focused on stopping him, and he was highly motivated. I'm very concerned about him without Brady. 

I'd rather have Fournette than say, Edmonds or Michel, but as a guy projected to cost the most at the position, he's a pass if I were running a team. I'd prefer cheap shots on Mostert or perhaps Penny. If you want to spend a little more, maybe Patterson or Conner. 

I'm not expecting much of a huge market for Mostert, I just think he's going to be the best value if he can stay on the field.

Conversely, I would want nothing to do with Fournette. He was decent in TB, but that feels 99% situation dependent. Nobody was focused on stopping him, and he was highly motivated. I'm very concerned about him without Brady. 

I'd rather have Fournette than say, Edmonds or Michel, but as a guy projected to cost the most at the position, he's a pass if I were running a team. I'd prefer cheap shots on Mostert or perhaps Penny. If you want to spend a little more, maybe Patterson or Conner. 
That’s fair. And I agree that if Fournette gets a big contract that’s likely to be a mistake. 
I’d probably be more interested in donta foreman than any of the available backs, but I’m hoping he returns to Nashville. 

I'd take that shot on Penny all day, everyday over Mostert.

I like the guy, he's certainly explosive and there is no reason to believe Penny is more durable long term. But he's almost four years younger, fits the profile of a 3 down back much more and has a better shot at a Fred Taylor turnaround with a similar downside to Mostert.

I'd take that shot on Penny all day, everyday over Mostert.

I like the guy, he's certainly explosive and there is no reason to believe Penny is more durable long term. But he's almost four years younger, fits the profile of a 3 down back much more and has a better shot at a Fred Taylor turnaround with a similar downside to Mostert.
I agree with that. My reason for having Mostert higher is I'm not 100% sure if the discount will be there for Penny after his sizzling finish to the season. If it is, than he's likely a huge steal. 

Going into last year, everyone thought Deebo had little to no value, for basically the same injury concerns I'm seeing argued against Mostert here.  If Mostert can put together a healthy season (not saying he can) he has tremendous upside.  While some players can be injury prone, a lot of the injuries (or lack there of) are not reliably predictive of future injury risk either.  I don't know enough about Mostert's injuries to know if they are considered to be more fluke type injuries or something that could be expected to reoccur. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I agree with that. My reason for having Mostert higher is I'm not 100% sure if the discount will be there for Penny after his sizzling finish to the season. If it is, than he's likely a huge steal. 
Penny could have a decent market, for a RB, but I could also see many/most teams try to force a "prove it" deal onto him.

But Penny will almost certainly sign as a 1a back no matter the contract, Mostert will almost certainly sign as a CoP type. So the value definitely leans towards Mostert.

Going into last year, everyone thought Deebo had little to no value, for basically the same injury concerns I'm seeing argued against Mostert here.  If Mostert can put together a healthy season (not saying he can) he has tremendous upside.  While some players can be injury prone, a lot of the injuries (or lack there of) are not reliably predictive of future injury risk either.  I don't know enough about Mostert's injuries to know if they are considered to be more fluke type injuries or something that could be expected to reoccur. 
The thing with Mostert is that he runs very hard so the collisions are always there.  He is also very fast so he fit perfectly with SF and was gone once he hit a crease.  I am not sure he will be so useful in another scheme.  I really like him as a player but I do think his injuries will continue (because of his running style) and also think he was a scheme RB.  

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports free agent Raheem Mostert "is making a full recovery and will be ready to play this season."

Schefter cited Mostert's agent and a doctor who evaluated Mostert's recovery from a knee cartilage injury that sidelined him for nearly the entire 2021 season. Mostert, almost 30, will have limited appeal on the open market after a career filled with major injuries. A one-year deal with the Niners would make the most sense for the veteran. He could also land in Miami with former 49ers offensive coordinator Mike McDaniels. Mostert would likely be something a spoiler in whichever backfield he lands in this offseason. 

SOURCE: Adam Schefter on Twitter 

Mar 11, 2022, 10:09 AM ET

Dolphins signed RB Raheem Mostert, formerly of the 49ers, to a one-year, $3.125 million contract. 

Pour one out for the Chase Edmonds victory laps. Mostert, 30 in April, should make a full recovery from the knee cartilage injury that ended his 2021 season almost before it began. He's shown burst for the 49ers for chunks of the last two years, but hasn't been able to stay healthy. While nothing in the Kyle Shanahan history points much towards running back committees, the inability of either Edmonds or Mostert to stay healthy could wind up making this a de facto committee. Mostert told Josina Anderson that "The head coach ... told me my role will be similar to what it was in San Francisco, but he still expects me to compete." The money probably points to Edmonds getting the first shot, but Mostert is a real threat and could take early downs. 

- Ian Rapoport, Twitter

The guy had 10 TDs in 2019, he's been in the league since 2015, he's almost 30 yrs old and had very little street appeal to most teams. 

I thought when they signed him if it was more than 1 yr-$3M what a waste of money but that's exactly what they got and quite honestly I give him a 50/50 shot of even making the final roster. 

Chase is going to catch 50-60 balls, Mostert is not a great receiving RB so he strictly is a runner and will be happy to teach the playbook all summer to the Rookie coming in the Draft next month. 

Yeah sure Miami hitched their wagon to a 30 year old with not much market, Coach M&M did him a favor and maybe he makes the roster and maybe he doesn't. I wouldn't lose much sleep over him right now, he just landed on the worst OL in football that hasn't gotten a huge boost in the arm yet. Connor Williams had like 27 penalties last year, i'm not holding my breath yet. More help is on the way of course but it's not there yet. 

Last edited by a moderator:
The guy had 10 TDs in 2019, he's been in the league since 2015, he's almost 30 yrs old and had very little street appeal to most teams. 

I thought when they signed him if it was more than 1 yr-$3M what a waste of money but that's exactly what they got and quite honestly I give him a 50/50 shot of even making the final roster. 

Chase is going to catch 50-60 balls, Mostert is not a great receiving RB so he strictly is a runner and will be happy to teach the playbook all summer to the Rookie coming int he Draft next month. 

Yeah sure Miami hitched their wagon to a 30 year old with not much market, Coach M&M did him a favor and maybe he makes the roster and maybe he doesn't. I wouldn't lose much sleep over him right now, he just landed on the worst OL in football that hasn't gotten a huge boost in the arm yet. Connor Williams had like 27 penalties last year, i'm not holding my breath yet. More help is on the way of course but it's not there yet. 
He's very fast.

I knew this was coming. It just made too much sense. 

Miami will likely not be going RB in the first. Not that the signings are prohibitive or anything, but they've now got about nine million-plus sunk into the position this year and other needs, it would seem. They'll probably work with their patchwork of RBs again. 

I knew this was coming. It just made too much sense. 

Miami will likely not be going RB in the first. Not that the signings are prohibitive or anything, but they've now got about nine million-plus sunk into the position this year and other needs, it would seem. They'll probably work with their patchwork of RBs again. 
The 49er blueprint.

Speaking at OTAs, Dolphins coach Mike McDaniel said of RB Raheem Mostert: "His expectations are to play Week 1 and we are not going to rush it ... when he's ready he'll be on the field."

It's hard to understand exactly how the Miami running back committee will shake out this year, but on money alone it looks like Chase Edmonds will be the primary back. Mostert is dealing with a knee cartilage injury that ended his season last September, and if healthy, it would appear he, Myles Gaskin, and Sony Michel are fighting for a portion of the early-down reps.

SOURCE: Barry Jackson on Twitter

May 17, 2022, 1:37 PM ET

ESPN's Marcel Louis-Jacques reports Raheem Mostert is "still recovering from a late season knee injury" and may not be ready for Week 1 against the Patriots. 

It is unclear what Louis-Jacques means by "late season," as Mostert went down last Week 1 and ended up missing the rest of the year. Perhaps he suffered a setback late in the season. Coach Mike McDaniel has previously said Mostert's "expectations" are to play Week 1, but McDaniel came far from guaranteeing it, saying "when he's ready, he'll be on the field." Fantasy managers should have extremely limited expectations for the always-injured 30-year-old. Considering the apparently precarious nature of his health, it might not even be a guarantee Mostert makes the 53-man roster. He does have $1 million in guaranteed money working in his favor. 

SOURCE: ESPN

Jul 25, 2022, 12:59 AM ET

Raheem Mostert (knee) said in a Twitter post that he's been "cleared" for the start of training camp. 

"It's go time," Mostert added with several exclamation points. It's something of a surprise considering a recent ESPN report that said Mostert is still recovering from a 2021 knee injury and could be questionable for the regular season's start. Following new Dolphins head coach Mike McDaniel to Miami, Mostert is most familiar with the Shanahan rushing attack that will be used in Miami's offense this season. Whether Mostert can remain on the field remains a nagging question for the 30-year-old back. Chase Edmonds, meanwhile, remains a bargain in redraft formats. 

RELATED: 

Chase Edmonds

, Sony Michel

SOURCE: Cameron Wolfe on Twitter

Jul 25, 2022, 11:03 AM ET

3A. There’s no injury risk when you’re being drafted in Rounds 14-15, like Raheem Mostert is on ESPN or Yahoo!. In fact, there’s no “anything risk;” it’s all upside from there. And the upside argument for Mostert is easy, already named the co-starter, and paired back up with his former run-game coordinator and now HC Mike McDaniel.

3B. Mostert ranks 2nd-best all-time in career YPC average (5.67). He averaged 20.0 FPG over his final 8 games in 2019. He averaged 22.7 “fantasy points per four quarters” before his first of two I.R. designations of the 2020 season. He averaged 10.0 YPC last year (lol), and averaged 14.5 YPC this preseason.

3C. And apparently he’s back to full health and already the fastest player on a team that also has Tyreek Hill and Jaylen Waddle.

:oldunsure:

Chase Edmonds (groin) was limited in Wednesday's practice.​

Edmonds has been battling the groin issue for a few days, but the limited session to start the week puts him on track to play Week 1 against the Patriots. Edmonds should be teed up as a back-end RB2 for the AFC East matchup.

no rename of this thread?

Raheem Mostert rushed five times for 16 yards in the Dolphins' Week 1 win over the Patriots.

He added one catch for 16 yards on one target. Chase Edmonds out-carried Mostert 12-5 and out-targeted him 4-1. The Dolphins scored just one touchdown on offense, a 42-yard Jaylen Waddle score, so we didn't get a look at how Miami would handle goal-line work between Mostert and Edmonds. Mostert is merely a bench-stash RB4/5 ahead of a Week 2 date with the Ravens.

- NBCSportsEDGE

Not many RBs on any team today smoked it.

It looks like Miami is using Mostert sparingly.

Chase 12 carries
Mostert 5 carries

Receiving
Chase 4/40...you gotta like this
Mostert 1/16

Chase-16 touches 65 yds
Mostert-6 touches 32 yds

They have no intention of over playing Raheem Mostert, clear back up, don't burn the brain cells on this.

Mostert wasn't on my radar this offseason. At all. New team with an unproven new coach. 30 yrs old. Coming off an ACL.

I'm off all those tropes. Most has always been redonk fast, and guess what... He still is - clocked at 22+ this yr ready. He's also on what is after two weeks the biggest come up offense in the league - with their unproven coach quickly proving himself worthy of your/our attention.

He knows this system... https://youtu.be/-jh9nUGyZ8w

He has thrived in this system...
220/4 in a playoff game of the yr just two years ago...

If somehow he's still on your wire, sprint. If he got scooped in the last weekish, don't be weakish and put in a buy high offer.

Health permitting (as always; and admittedly, this risk is higher with his frame) this is the dude you should be high jumping on if you missed out on the Miami experience thus far.

G/L to all of us. Especially Raheem the Most.

Had one open bench space when Godwin was officially ruled out. With only 3 WR's healthy and available and start 3 WR's the logical choice was to take a flyer on a WR from the J Meyer, M Gallup, or Doubs type, but instead, went with Mostert and now 6 healthy RB's. The upside watch is worth the play with Mostert. Also picked up Edmunds in another league for free last week. Roles changed from week 1 to week 2, MoP. Who knows moving forward, but MIA has suddenly emerged as a powerhouse offense. Everyone wants a piece of a powerhouse offense lol. Picked up Tua Time earlier - not trusting Russell Let's Ride quite yet.

Edit: Listening to fantasy football talk on Sirius/XM 87 the talk was, is MIA an explosive offense revealing or not...yet? Well, I'm not sure anyone can know the future. That's why we play. Investing in MIA before they do blow up. Same can be said about WAS. Besides McLaurin or a Gibson (until B Robinson returns) or who else would someone take. Now look - all of em picked up from Wentz to Logan Thomas with McLaurin, C Samuel, and Dotson. MIA players are filling in week 3.

Last edited:
I still think there's something here. He had more than Edmonds in snaps, routes, targets, and carries than Edmonds. But Edmonds scored twice.

I think Mostert will go off on all our benches in a game soon. Then we will have some decisions to make.

Raheem Mostert rushed 15 times for 69 yards in the Dolphins' Week 4 loss to the Bengals, adding two receptions for 12 additional yards.​

In what has become a theme, Mostert out-touched Chase Edmonds for the third straight week, this time 17-7. Further, Pro Football Focus' Nathan Jahnke charted Mostert as posting new career highs in snaps and routes run. Per Jahnke, Mostert was the featured back in "early down, goal line, third downs and two minute drill snaps tonight." In other words, he is the No. 1 running back by some considerable distance. Naturally, it was Edmonds who found the end zone, but Mostert is stabilizing his FLEX floor and even pushing for some RB2 value ahead of a Week 5 date with the Jets.

Users who are viewing this thread