What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Raheem Mostert, MIA (2 Viewers)

Mostert might be a solid guy to have if you drafted a Hall, Taylor, Kamara type and are short at RB but otherwise I'm sure he's going to go higher then I'd like.

Wilson is probably done for the season and they will bring someone else in, probably soon.

Mostert actually played 16 games last year and got a career high usage. It translated to like barely over 10 fantasy points a game in PPR leagues. He's 31, just not suited for a big workload.

My conclusion. I'm going to let someone else take him.

Ahmed had a great preseason, running and receiving. He provides depth and may be as good as anyone they bring in.
He did look good but we have a team that is known to have made trade offers for Jacobs and Taylor before they might have lost Wilson for the season. For sure those RB's are more then just "depth" but hard for me to see a team interested in trying to trade for one of them when they had Wilson, lose him, and then decide to stand pat.

They reportedly already tried to sign Melvin Gordon to their practice squad but he went back to Baltimore. I'll be shocked if they don't acquire a notable RB.

Mostert might be a solid guy to have if you drafted a Hall, Taylor, Kamara type and are short at RB but otherwise I'm sure he's going to go higher then I'd like.

Wilson is probably done for the season and they will bring someone else in, probably soon.

Mostert actually played 16 games last year and got a career high usage. It translated to like barely over 10 fantasy points a game in PPR leagues. He's 31, just not suited for a big workload.

Yea I want to be excited about Mostert as I grabbed him pretty cheap in some spots but I absolutely expect them to add someone notable and probably today or tomorrow.

Raiders just cut Damien Williams (foolishly IMO) after he looked great this preseason. I suspect he ends up in Mia here in the next day or so.

Yea I want to be excited about Mostert as I grabbed him pretty cheap in some spots but I absolutely expect them to add someone notable and probably today or tomorrow.

What "notable" free agent would be a threat to Mostert?

Lenny just doesn't seem like a McDaniels guy. McDaniels values speed so that pretty much unchecks Hunt. Who you got? Drake?

Ahmed is apparently dealing with an injury, don't know the extent of it
Achance was wearing a Do Not Touch jersey when he was practicing so they are taking it slow with him, got knocked around hard in the Houston preseason game.
And Jeff Wilson is on Injured Reserve
Who is Miami going to hand off to inside the 5 yard line vs the Bolts Week 1?

Lenny just doesn't seem like a McDaniels guy. McDaniels values speed so that pretty much unchecks Hunt. Who you got? Drake?
Yes McDaniels likes speed but I don't think that rules out any RB who is not perceived as fast. He's been on a lot of staffs with RB's who were not fast and were highly successful. They wanted to trade for Jacobs, he's not fast.

Personally, I still think it's most likely they make a trade. And if isn't going to be Taylor it might be someone not really on our radar right now. That might not materialize super quickly though so I would expect them to add a FA body that like you say may not be a big threat, but in terms of workload will get some of Mostert's pie. There's surely some out there.

Raiders just cut Damien Williams (foolishly IMO) after he looked great this preseason. I suspect he ends up in Mia here in the next day or so.
Interesting player, but fromt he last regime. Grier may have been his GM when picked, but no connection to McDaniel.

This may good for Mostert's short term value but bad for his long term because the Dolphins are going to need to bring in someone and that someone might be better/healthier then Wilson.

It sounds to me like Wilson is most likely done for the season, not just 4 weeks.
Nobody takes mostert for his long term value
To be clear by long term I mean a few weeks into the season.

before they might have lost Wilson for the season.
You keep saying this, why? What have you heard that has you feeling this way?
The phrasing. When the Dolphins say "we wouldnt' be surprised if he returned this season" I think you got to start to think in terms of him likely missing most or all of it.
Thanks. I haven’t seen that said but if it has (I assume you are correct) then it would definitely raise eyebrows.

before they might have lost Wilson for the season.
You keep saying this, why? What have you heard that has you feeling this way?
The phrasing. When the Dolphins say "we wouldnt' be surprised if he returned this season" I think you got to start to think in terms of him likely missing most or all of it.
Thanks. I haven’t seen that said but if it has (I assume you are correct) then it would definitely raise eyebrows.
Here is full quote:

McDaniel on Jeff Wilson: "was midsection injury compounded by some finger issues. We made the assessment he couldn’t protect himself and couldn’t be himself the way we know him to be. I wouldn’t be surprised if he would make a return this season. We will let his body tell us."

Dolphins signed RB Darrynton Evans, a 2020 3rd round pick for the Titans to their practice squad. If he's all they add, it's probably Mostert's job until he breaks.

Ahmed's name keeps coming up and as a Miami fan, I have no idea why people are even acknowledging him as an option
The guy had 2.8 yds per carry in '21, in the last 2 seasons he's never had more than 6-7 carries in a game, it's laughable his name keeps coming up.
-If Miami were even mildly sold on the guy they wouldn't keep trying to trade for Top 5-10 talent at RB, Cook Jacobs, Taylor, they keep asking for trades at RB.

Week 1 Starting RB for Miami will be Raheem Mostert and this could be the most carries he will see in a game all year, why? Because I expect Miami to sign a vet after Week 1 or whenever that free agent can be cut without having to continue paying him. Raheem only had 3 rushing TDs in '22, it's not like he's money to hit pay dirt a couple times but with so many injuries and a rookie RB, it's likely he gets at least 12-15 carries in this game.

15 touches, 75 yds/TD seems like a decent projection for week 1. Many think Miami will just throw when they get towards the end zone, not sure I agree, they lack big targets in the end zone.

Ahmed's name keeps coming up and as a Miami fan, I have no idea why people are even acknowledging him as an option
The guy had 2.8 yds per carry in '21, in the last 2 seasons he's never had more than 6-7 carries in a game, it's laughable his name keeps coming up.
-If Miami were even mildly sold on the guy they wouldn't keep trying to trade for Top 5-10 talent at RB, Cook Jacobs, Taylor, they keep asking for trades at RB.

Week 1 Starting RB for Miami will be Raheem Mostert and this could be the most carries he will see in a game all year, why? Because I expect Miami to sign a vet after Week 1 or whenever that free agent can be cut without having to continue paying him. Raheem only had 3 rushing TDs in '22, it's not like he's money to hit pay dirt a couple times but with so many injuries and a rookie RB, it's likely he gets at least 12-15 carries in this game.

15 touches, 75 yds/TD seems like a decent projection for week 1. Many think Miami will just throw when they get towards the end zone, not sure I agree, they lack big targets in the end zone.
I agree 100% with this.

Is this "week 1 only" or actually more like weeks 1-3? is there any reason to think, if miami performs well in these 3 weeks that there could be a permanent shift to increasing RM's share of touches?

I'm starting him week 1. Might be the only good start of the year.
My plan is to start Mostert Week 1 and do everything I can to trade him away after that performance. His value is too low now for me to get any bites beyond Adam Thielen, which I declined.

If he puts up bottom RB1/high RB2 numbers week 1, I'll expect to get a much better trade opportunity.

Sounds like Rosenhaus just acknowledged that Wilsons injuries will not heal in 4 weeks. should not be on "IR for long after the four week mandatory window."

If you went zero RB like I did last night. I view Mostert as a guy that can plug in those first few weeks and see how it goes. Especially if your bench is filled with some high powered lottery tickets from the other thread on here.

First few weeks will be telling and you’ll have to be active in the wire but he’s a decent plug.

If you went zero RB like I did last night. I view Mostert as a guy that can plug in those first few weeks and see how it goes. Especially if your bench is filled with some high powered lottery tickets from the other thread on here.

First few weeks will be telling and you’ll have to be active in the wire but he’s a decent plug.
As a Kamara and JT owner, I really need Mostert to hit weeks 1-2 at least.

Two weeks of Most hurt and then it will be Achane's backfield, sprinkled in with the other rookie RB Brooks and a veteran RB.

Two weeks of Most hurt and then it will be Achane's backfield, sprinkled in with the other rookie RB Brooks.
I don’t think Archane has the build to own the backfield. I like Chris Brooks to be involved as he ran really well this preseason and has good size and burst as well.

Two weeks of Most hurt and then it will be Achane's backfield, sprinkled in with the other rookie RB Brooks.
I don’t think Archane has the build to own the backfield. I like Chris Brooks to be involved as he ran really well this preseason and has good size and burst as well.
Not in a traditional offense, but in Coach McDaniel's one cut and go spread, he has the potential. Or at least a guy can hope.

Not in a traditional offense, but in Coach McDaniel's one cut and go spread, he has the potential. Or at least a guy can hope.
I think he will get touches, but I wouldn’t bet on it being “his” backfield.

Time will tell, but speed wins out in this offense and Coach McDaniel was over the top giddy to draft him in the third round. I would not be suprised to see him getting 12-15 touches a game and end up with the most fantasy points per game for Dolphin RB's this season when it's all said and done.

Last edited:
Raheem Mostert will be the lead back for an explosive offense for at least 4 games, why his ADP hasn't gone down much (can still be had around ADP of 110) is hilarious. The guy can help your fantasy team win in September at the very least.

He only missed one game last year. That was probably his upside. He's on the wrong side of 30. Sure he's a zero RB candidate or something but if you're trotting this guy out in week 1, something went wrong somewhere. He's def a DFS play. Not sure I'd want to depend on him for more than a week at a time.

Raheem Mostert will be the lead back for an explosive offense for at least 4 games, why his ADP hasn't gone down much (can still be had around ADP of 110) is hilarious. The guy can help your fantasy team win in September at the very least.

He only missed one game last year. That was probably his upside. He's on the wrong side of 30. Sure he's a zero RB candidate or something but if you're trotting this guy out in week 1, something went wrong somewhere. He's def a DFS play. Not sure I'd want to depend on him for more than a week at a time.

Some folks drafted JT and Kamara on the same team and have other issues at the flex spots
I tend to agree with you but it's not that unreasonable that a team is looking for a starting RB and there happens to be one looming for Miami the next few weeks.
Mostert had a 4-5 week run last year where he had about 14-18 carries during this stretch, it wasn't a boatload of points but he managed to score a couple times, cleared 100 yds rushing once. Miami is going to have to score a lot to keep pace with Herbert and the Bolts.
The Dolphins backfield in a couple months looks murky but at the moment, there's not much doubt who the lead RB is.

Some folks drafted JT and Kamara on the same team and have other issues at the flex spots
I tend to agree with you but it's not that unreasonable that a team is looking for a starting RB and there happens to be one looming for Miami the next few weeks.
Mostert had a 4-5 week run last year where he had about 14-18 carries during this stretch, it wasn't a boatload of points but he managed to score a couple times, cleared 100 yds rushing once. Miami is going to have to score a lot to keep pace with Herbert and the Bolts.
The Dolphins backfield in a couple months looks murky but at the moment, there's not much doubt who the lead RB is.
For the Kamara/JT owners, he’s almost a too obvious pairing. The problem is that with 2RB’s in this situation versus one, you now have competition for this thinking . When it was just Kamara…you almost had Mostert to yourself.

I'm taking a page out of Scott Paniowski's book at Yahoo and focusing on "winning september."

There are a few RBs late that can help me do that:

Mostert
J. Williams (NO)
S. Perine

Hoping to walk away with two of these three.

much like the beginning of every year, there are some plays that are not obvious in preseason that clarify after week 1 (and some that linger all season)

The Dolphin running game has a few things going for it:
1) McDaniel wants to run the ball. Miami's losing streak to the end of the year was primarily due to having no "off speed" pitch to throw other than Waddle and hill.
2) The Dolphin O line is more of a run blocking line than a pass blocking one
3) Tua's quick release and Hill and Waddles' speed means the linebackers need to stay back a bit.

So in terms of "ecosystem" as Matt Harmon puts it, there is one in place. The bad news is its murky and Miami has been searching all offseason for a "better" back than they had last year.

so....

1) Mosert gets the first crack at this
2)Archane is a player they really liked, and if he didn't ding his shoulder he would be the leader in the clubhouse.
3) Chris Brooks showed a lot in the preseason, and may be the "thumper" on short yardage if he is active on game day.

With the first game being the chargers (The team that seemed to "solve" Miami's offensive attack last year), I expect a lot of Mosert with Archane sprinkled in. If Ahmed was healthy I would dark horse him bc even though he is not "flashy" he seems to be the RB that does the most with his opportunities.

With Achane sitting, this feels like such a smash start… but also feels like one of those trap fantasy starts that everyone loves but turns into a dud.

Users who are viewing this thread