What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ronald Jones, Cowboys (2 Viewers)

Training Camp Buzz: Joe Burrow 'breathes life' into Bengals

Excerpt:

Much has been made about Buccaneers running back Ronald Jones' efforts to diversify his game and improve as a pass catcherin the offseason. It's been a sticking point since his days at USC. RoJo's meal ticket, though, is his speed. It's why he sits fifth on the Trojans' all-time rushing list, ahead of three Heisman winners. And it remains his most distinctive trait in an offense loaded with receiving targets for its Hall of Fame QB. That burst was on display in a Tuesday practice. NFL Network’s James Palmer reported Jones had multiple splash runs, including a 40-yard touchdown in which he outran the defense. Jones, who became a starter for the Bucs midway through last season, has only one such run thus far in an NFL game. Perhaps increased attention elsewhere will free up the third-year back to do what he does best: run.

Waldman sounds sold on this kid ... so does Bloom. 

Any dynasty guys bought on Jones recently?

Last edited by a moderator:
I stole him for $11/500 in my startup last year. 

the offers have been getting better but still nothing I’d let him go for.  
I was asked for a late 2021 first for him, which I realize could blow up in my face, but he’s only 23 and put some good film out last year.

Kinda torn on it. 

I was asked for a late 2021 first for him, which I realize could blow up in my face, but he’s only 23 and put some good film out last year.

Kinda torn on it. 
I was offered a late 2021 & turned it down, so obviously I would take that offer if I were you.

the talent is there. He’s a dude who has looked great at times, lost at others.  But last year something seemed to click. And reports from Brady & the Bucs RB coaches have his arrow pointing way up.

redraft I’ll likely go RB-WR-WR from the 1.03 & make RoJo my RB2 at 4.10. In all the mocks i’ve done I’ve liked those teams the most. There are a lot of WRs at the same tier, but after RoJo RBs fall off a cliff.

and he’s young enough that he should be relevant for a while for dynasty. 

you’re not getting a lock, but the upside is legit. I see this as his make or break year. I suspect the Bucs do as well. 

if the offer were an early 1st I’d consider it, but then I’d have to be deep at RB, thin at a need position to make that deal. I don’t see why I’d let him go for less at this point.

so yeah - you should probably take that offer. Can’t think of anyone you’d get late 1st next year with more upside. 

Bucs RB Ronald Jones is sidelined with a left foot injury.

Jones was walking around after practice with a wrap on. Coach Bruce Arians said he doesn’t think it’s serious. Jones has been running as the lead back at Bucs camp. An extended absence could get LeSean McCoy or Ke'Shawn Vaughn some first-team reps.

SOURCE: The Athletic

Aug 29, 2020, 11:25 AM ET

Of course I drafted him as my RB2.
Good pick. 

He had a wrap on his foot. Nothing about an MRI, an XRay, or even a visit to the school nurse. Take a deep breath until there's some sort of update. It's preseason - any minor tweak at all will get rested. RoJo is the man until further notice. Be psyched & I'll hope I can nab him as a RB2-3 or flex next weekend. Heck, I'm hoping the injury update drops him a 1/2 round. :pickle:  

Good pick. 

He had a wrap on his foot. Nothing about an MRI, an XRay, or even a visit to the school nurse. Take a deep breath until there's some sort of update. It's preseason - any minor tweak at all will get rested. RoJo is the man until further notice. Be psyched & I'll hope I can nab him as a RB2-3 or flex next weekend. Heck, I'm hoping the injury update drops him a 1/2 round. :pickle:  
Yeah hoping that default rankings adjust Jones down a bit. Been constantly targeting him (with success) in round 5 as my RB 3. Would be great to nab him in round 6.

That said, if I do grab R. Jones, I'm also targeting K. Vaughn late.

CBS - ankle, not foot. I’m actually pleased to learn this as foot injuries are much less predictable. 

Ronald Jones RB | TB

Buccaneers' Ronald Jones: Back at practice

(2 hrs ago) Jones (ankle) is taking part in Sunday's practice, donning full pads in the session, Rick Stroud of the Tampa Bay Times reports.

Jones' presence on the field suggests the left ankle sprain he picked up in Friday's scrimmage was only a minor concern. Assuming he enters the regular season healthy, Jones should be slated to start for the Buccaneers after coach Bruce Arians identified the 23-year-old as the team's "main guy" in the backfield in 2020.

I was offered Jones for my 2021 1st a couple days ago and turned it down. It's probably a pretty fair offer though.

I just took over an orphan two months ago and my team *sucked* when I took over. I have made 10 trades and think I am actually now a competitor already. But my team did finish dead last in 2019, so odds are probably still strong this is a good 2021 pick. 

Ironically, this is a 24 team league with two copies of each player and I already moved the other copy of Jones and 2.12 for Marquise Brown. Perhaps 1.5 months ago. Talk on Jones wasn't quite as positive at that point.

I was offered Jones for my 2021 1st a couple days ago and turned it down. It's probably a pretty fair offer though.

I just took over an orphan two months ago and my team *sucked* when I took over. I have made 10 trades and think I am actually now a competitor already. But my team did finish dead last in 2019, so odds are probably still strong this is a good 2021 pick. 

Ironically, this is a 24 team league with two copies of each player and I already moved the other copy of Jones and 2.12 for Marquise Brown. Perhaps 1.5 months ago. Talk on Jones wasn't quite as positive at that point.
Man it’s a great time to sell high on Jones. I would absolutely pass on this, but I understand there has always been two “sides” with Jones- some people like him and are preaching patience and others have been off this train since Day 1. With the hype he’s getting, if I owned him I’d likely bail, especially with passes and GL likely going elsewhere. Who wants another Ameer Abdullah? 

Who wants another Ameer Abdullah? 
I don’t think that’s a good comp at all. RoJo has a chance to dominate touches this year & become the centerpiece of a very potent offense. 

i’m one of the few who’s been on here preaching patience. I didn’t hold onto him for this long to sell now, before I finally reap some reward for that patience.

I would need a very sizable haul to part with him at this point. 

new regime did draft Vaughn. That can't be ignored. I have Jones in more places than Vaughn, but because a rookie struggled during a year where covid has affected everything I don't think that is something to we need to over think. He still has plenty of chances to learn and play better and earn touches.  I do think this is going to be a potent offense as long as Brady is healthy

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think the Vaughn draft pick and the Shady signing were much more about how average Ogunbowale was on third downs and how valuable he is to them on special teams. 

The Pewter Report article this week talked about them not wanting to use Ogunbowale on offense much unless they have to. That tells me that role was what they tried to upgrade with Vaughn (who felt like a reach anyway).  Then when Vaughn gets COVID, and probably didn’t impress them any of the other looks they got at him, they started turning over stones (TJ Logan buzz, signing Shady, etc.). 

I personally don’t believe the Shady signing or the Vaughn draft pick were really shots across the bow at Jones’ early down opportunity. Instead I think they were hedging in case his pass pro didn’t develop. It seems pretty obvious that they want Jones to handle as much of the work as he can. 

Faust said:
NFL Beat Writers @32BeatWriters

“Ronald Jones and LeSean McCoy will be relied upon early in the season as third down options. Whoever fares better in pass protection will see the bulk of the passing down snaps, and it’s not secret the Bucs would really like that player to be Ronald Jones.” #Bucs

CBS - ankle, not foot. I’m actually pleased to learn this as foot injuries are much less predictable. 
Agreed if that’s accurate - mild ankle tweak makes me much more comfortable than a vague foot injury (turf toe, lisfranc, etc.).

I couldn’t figure out how they’d wrap a foot anyway, unless it was wrapping the ice on it?

Maybe I’m crazy, but I think the Vaughn draft pick and the Shady signing were much more about how average Ogunbowale was on third downs and how valuable he is to them on special teams. 

i’m inclined to agree with this. 

On draft day, I received several somewhat lowball offers for Jones immediately after the Vaughn pick. 

I was born at night. It wasn’t last night.

I still really like Ronald Jones (loved him going into that draft), but I'm glad none of my trades for him went through right about now. 

I still think they like Jones and wouldn’t freak out if I owned him. In case you aren’t paying attention the BUCS are kind of all in for a short time frame. Adding Fournette gives them talent AND depth at a position of need as their 3rd round pick (Vaughn) isn’t going to be up to speed with an abbreviated camp. 

Rotoworld take:

Bucs RB Ronald Jones will compete with newly-signed RB Leonard Fournette.

Fournette was brought in one day after clearing waivers. It's obviously horrible news for Jones' fantasy value with Fournette being the new shiny toy for Bruce Arians to play with. All of the offseason coach speak heading Jones way doesn't match the actions the Bucs took this offseason. They've added Fournette and LeSean McCoy in free agency and spent a third-round pick on Ke'Shawn Vaughn. Jones and Fournette may split early-down work in September as they compete for the starting job. Stay tuned for final roster cuts and next week's practice reports to see how the depth chart is being sorted out.

SOURCE: Ian Rapoport on Twitter

Sep 2, 2020, 9:07 PM ET

I still think they like Jones and wouldn’t freak out if I owned him. In case you aren’t paying attention the BUCS are kind of all in for a short time frame. Adding Fournette gives them talent AND depth at a position of need as their 3rd round pick (Vaughn) isn’t going to be up to speed with an abbreviated camp. 
I think this is too optimistic of a take. Jones went from having every week upside in fantasy to not even being flexable just on the lost touches alone.

I don't think Jones owners (in that camp myself) can see this as anything but a lost pick.

Users who are viewing this thread