What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RB Ty Johnson, NYJ (1 Viewer)

BTW, the BMI metric is pretty flawed.

Small (light) RBs are at a tremendous disadvantage in today's NFL. Only the most elusive & dynamic can survive as a longterm feature back (guys like CMac, Cook, etc.).

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to go look at past FF RB standings to see there's very few small RBs producing feature back numbers. There's a reason for that.

Last edited by a moderator:
One thing I like about TJ is he's a little underrated as far as being a tough runner.

TJ isn't so sure of a prospect you can guarantee anything, but he's at least got the potential to earn a starting job.

What's your problem?

I said TJ is just big enough to be an effective feature back given how dynamic he is, but there's a lot of things that go into evaluating a RB.

TJ is a great stash right now & part of that is because he does have legitimate feature back potential.
Just saying you sound confused buckaroo. Thought they had to be 220lbs for feature size.

Just saying you sound confused buckaroo. Thought they had to be 220lbs for feature size.
LOL. You're the one who's confused.

I've never said anything about 220. 215 is where I tend not to worry about size (weight)., but it's not a hard & fast rule with everyone.

LOL. You're the one who's confused.

I've never said anything about 220. 215 is where I tend not to worry about size (weight), but it's not a hard & fast rule with everyone.
Thanks for clearing up the confusion. What are your thoughts on him never seeing more than 142 touches in college? Aren’t you worried about his durability?

Thanks for clearing up the confusion. What are your thoughts on him never seeing more than 142 touches in college? Aren’t you worried about his durability?
Sure. There's reasons why TJ wasn't taken until the 6th round.

Production is a big one. Scouts like to see somebody who's done it.

Low mileage can be good.
Hmm... history would suggest otherwise. Good for a career of low mileage NFL use like say, Darren Sproles... but even bringing him up he was an absolute beast statistically at Kansas State. Don’t get me wrong Johnson’s production is good and his elusiveness is 🔥. That being said he’s on a team that is hesitant to give Kerryon Johnson more than 50% of the snaps. I have zero qualms with declaring emphatically he is not a feature back and would bet against him sustaining over 15 touches regularly given his use on a bad, bad Maryland team.

ETA: I think he has a chance to still be fantasy viable getting snaps like he did last week. I would compare him to Matt Breida as a home run hitter who is a bit of an unknown in the passing game (Breida was bad in the passing game his rookie year and improved tremendously last season)

Hmm... history would suggest otherwise. Good for a career of low mileage NFL use like say, Darren Sproles... but even bringing him up he was an absolute beast statistically at Kansas State. Don’t get me wrong Johnson’s production is good and his elusiveness is 🔥. That being said he’s on a team that is hesitant to give Kerryon Johnson more than 50% of the snaps. I have zero qualms with declaring emphatically he is not a feature back and would bet against him sustaining over 15 touches regularly given his use on a bad, bad Maryland team.
To be clear, I'm not suggesting he's going to be a feature back nor I have I seen anyone else say that.

I'm simply saying TJ has that kind of upside, & for a stash, that's all you can ask.

We're talking about a guy drafted in the NFL's 6th round and nowhere in fantasy.  Of course he is not a favorite of most people.

TJ's combination of size/speed/power/receiving traits is impressive. It doesn't mean he'll eventually be a feature back, but he's got feature back-type skills, IMO.

Just for reference, I like him more than Darwin Thompson as far as a long-term asset (although, Thompson has a fairly big advantage right now due to situation).
Maybe this will clear it up. I posted this a couple weeks before the season started.

I think low mileage would be good in a vacuum, but the reason why it might not be correlated with NFL success/longevity is because the best players are going to tend to command a high workload in college, so the guys who come into the league with low mileage usually have low talent as well. A lot of the obvious exceptions are guys whose college depth charts were clogged ala Kamara, Drake, Gore, etc.

Maryland's other RB last year, Anthony McFarland Jr, had 1034 rushing yards at 7.9 YPC (!), so he's not exactly a slouch. I think he's a draftable prospect. I've compared him to Alex Collins, although looking at the height/weight, he may be more like a Tevin Coleman type. I don't think he's an elite talent, but he's a good enough player where losing touches to him isn't something to be hugely ashamed of.

I have Ty stashed on a lot of teams and I don't expect anything from him, but he had a high YPC in college with a high rate of explosive plays. He may not have gotten the ball a lot, but when he did, he made a lot of positive plays. As for him being a "featured back", that discussion may be largely beside the point. Austin Ekeler will never be a featured back, but look at the production he is putting up right now. Anyone who gets fed touches will score FF points, and in PPR leagues, the smaller combo backs can actually be more valuable than the two down thumpers who ostensibly have more ideal height/weight.

For what people paid for Ty Johnson (nothing), any outcome beyond pointless roster clogger is pure profit.

so which post were you telling the truth and which one were you full of it 
LOL.

"TJ has the prerequisite skills to be a feature back, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a feature back."

In other words, he's not a sure-fire prospect.

I'm sure that clears it up, but let me know if not.

I'll be happy to walk you through it, Dr.

LOL.

"TJ has the prerequisite skills to be a feature back, but it doesn't necessarily mean he'll be a feature back."

In other words, he's not a sure-fire prospect.

I'm sure that clears it up, but let me now if not.

I'll be happy to walk you through it, Dr.
Ok so covering all your bases. He has the talent to be good, but doesnt mean he can be good. must be how you're "so successful" at identifying rbs...  you are never wrong based on those words! 

Ty Johnson has the skills and body size to send Kerryon to the bench permanently and break all kinds of records in the NFL. But he might not!

I cant lose! 

Most sane people can follow this logic...

TJ has the skills a lot of guys simply don't possess, but he's also got a lot of questions surrounding him which showed in his draft slot. Not a hard thing to understand.

In short, I like TJ's cost-to-upside ratio as a stash.

Claim processed and I aboard this train.

Ty has already passed Zenner and now Anderson on the depth chart (both of whose services are no longer needed)

I definitely see a COP role as immediate with upside.  He will have a chance to earn more touches as he gathers more experience, even if Kerryon stays healthy.  Will Detroit go 80/20 Kerryon or closer to 70/30 or even 60/40?  We will watch and see...

Most sane people can follow this logic...

TJ has the skills a lot of guys simply don't possess, but he's also got a lot of questions surrounding him which showed in his draft slot. Not a hard thing to understand.

In short, I like TJ's cost-to-upside ratio as a stash.
I guess I get it, but I was a bit surprised to hear you say you wouldnt say ye could be a feature back, because I remembered you saying it a few weeks ago. no matter I guess 

I got him for 6/100 in waivers this week.  Thinking about going a little higher to secure him in another waiver run tonight.

5 carries and 2 targets last week. They also gave CJ 11 carries week 1 and 5 in week 2 so there are touches to go around. I'm surprised there isn't more chatter on this guy.  Kerryon also hasn't been the model of health, I think Ty has a real path to fantasy relevance. 

He was on my college fantasy team last two years.

I don't know how to describe him.. obviously straight line fast, would get around the corner on sweeps, decent ability to make people miss. 

The weird part is his power running.  He always fell forward (seems to be capable of power running?), but he never shed a single defender that I recall.  He would appear to brace for contact rather than initiating it... no stiff arm, would step out of bounds instead of fighting for those 2-3 more yards on the sideline.

Fun to watch when he gets going.  

eta - never seemed to catch many balls but looked perfectly capable and comfortable doing so when they did.
:thumbup:

Fun to watch... hope he can help.

It'd be easier to get excited about this guy's potential if he wasn't on the Lions.  That team's backfield has been a fantasy wasteland lately.  Their top fantasy RB has finished in the RB30-40 range the last 4 seasons.

I got him for 6/100 in waivers this week.  Thinking about going a little higher to secure him in another waiver run tonight.
What size league was this? Do you know what the runner up bid was? Is this a deep bench league?

I have my FAAB running tonight and want to get him. 

Thanks!

All aboard. Snagged him in redraft for free after waivers cleared. Will be following this thread intently. 

I love the enthusiasm but there's an awful lot of hype over very little here. Johnson is the starter, sure an injury could thrust TJ out there but trying to hype this guy and cash in on some box scores...let's follow the snap count over the next few weeks. I think this is a bunch of hot air. He's not pushing KJ out the door so this is simply a COP and how much he can do with fewer touches...I have one of those with Cohen as my RB3/4-Flex, what is Ty going to offer for most owners? It's a lottery ticket, maybe at the end of your bench or if you own KJ, in fact he is worth the most to KJ owners. 

I'm not cutting Mel Gordon for this guy and that's my RB stash for later in the season. I wouldn't cut Peyton Barber for this guy either right now. But I'll add him to the growing watch list on my league site.  

I love the enthusiasm but there's an awful lot of hype over very little here. Johnson is the starter, sure an injury could thrust TJ out there but trying to hype this guy and cash in on some box scores...let's follow the snap count over the next few weeks. I think this is a bunch of hot air. He's not pushing KJ out the door so this is simply a COP and how much he can do with fewer touches...I have one of those with Cohen as my RB3/4-Flex, what is Ty going to offer for most owners? It's a lottery ticket, maybe at the end of your bench or if you own KJ, in fact he is worth the most to KJ owners. 

I'm not cutting Mel Gordon for this guy and that's my RB stash for later in the season. I wouldn't cut Peyton Barber for this guy either right now. But I'll add him to the growing watch list on my league site.  
The interest for me is Kerryon left the game Sunday with an injury, went to the locker room and never returned to the field for the 4th quarter. He may already be hurt.

Stash him at a cheap cost?  Sure.  But, Lions.  Just don’t see a ton of upside here with how seemingly non-productive their RBs always are.

THen why would they cut CJ Anderson?
He’s been terrible and if they potentially don’t have Kerryon, they don’t want to do the Blount thing all over again. Also there’s some rumor they are trading for Ramsey. The release of CJ and Josh Johnson freed up roster space and $ to do it. That’s a loooong shot but maybe. Most likely scenario is CJ just got cut because he is bad.

The interest for me is Kerryon left the game Sunday with an injury, went to the locker room and never returned to the field for the 4th quarter. He may already be hurt.
😘

Thank You, that lands the plane for me, will move him up on my WW tonight. Where do you value this guy in a 10-12 team league, assume 50 RBs are on rosters already, where would you want to rank this guy? 

😘

Thank You, that lands the plane for me, will move him up on my WW tonight. Where do you value this guy in a 10-12 team league, assume 50 RBs are on rosters already, where would you want to rank this guy? 
I added him for free and am just in a holding pattern until the tight lipped Lions have to release some info on his status. I KJ is practice in full and good to go, I’ll dump Ty. Are you asking Ty’s value now or if KJ were to be out?

He’s been terrible and if they potentially don’t have Kerryon, they don’t want to do the Blount thing all over again. Also there’s some rumor they are trading for Ramsey. The release of CJ and Josh Johnson freed up roster space and $ to do it. That’s a loooong shot but maybe. Most likely scenario is CJ just got cut because he is bad.
CJ is bad (except late last year for some unknown reason) but I dont see why they would cut him and leave the backfield to only Ty, McKissic, & a guy off the street (Perkins) if Kerryon was hurt. Just doesnt make any sense whatsoever.

I added him for free and am just in a holding pattern until the tight lipped Lions have to release some info on his status. I KJ is practice in full and good to go, I’ll dump Ty. Are you asking Ty’s value now or if KJ were to be out?
Yes I am or even as say a 60/40 split so KJ doesn't get abused. Can he carve out one of the better COP roles like you see in Chicago, SF, Houston, multiple backs get touches and opportunities. I'm not a Patricia fan however they are better maybe even a lot better than they were last year. I liked them to upset San Diego last week and I think they will continue to improve. I like Stafford as an above average QB, they have talent at WR and TE, this offense could be pretty nifty if it all comes together. 

Do you see TJ as carving out a role in this offense even if KJ is ready to roll most weeks? If KJ were to miss time, would Ty be an auto-start at Flex? 

Users who are viewing this thread