What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (3 Viewers)

Looking for classic or recent movies that are simply "fun" and that my 8-year old son and I could both watch and both enjoy.

I'm not sure what the criteria I want to use is, other than "equally entertaining for both 8 year old boy and dad," and "I haven't seen it a million times (which precludes Star Wars, Princess Bride, and some other greats). Looking for overlooked greats.

The first movie on the list will be: Searching for Bobby Fisher. I haven't seen it for years, but I'm thinking this would be perfect for an 8-year old. I'll post again with his and my thoughts.

After that, I am considering Spellbound, but my wife thinks that will be too old/intense for him.

Let me know if you have any suggestions.
Spellbound will be just fine for him. :lmao: And god, Searching for Bobby Fischer is just about a perfect movie. Actually a bit more intense than Spellbound, but should be fine.How about Into the West with Gabriel Byrne? Also, Millions?

One of my favorite kid-appropriate movies of all time is Iron Giant. Has he seen that one?

Anyone have any bank robbery, heist, political thriller type movies they'd recommend? Can be old or now...just looking for something good that I might not have seen.
The Bank Job is the only memorable heist movie I can think of that has came out in the last few years.
The miniseries "The Kill Point" was pretty good."Inside Man" and "The Lookout" were decent.
Kill Point was a decent retread of every other heist movie you've seen before. It brings nothing new to the table but has some decent, if not over the top, acting for a mini-series.Finless' wallet thread made me think of A Simple Plan, that might barely squeeze into this category and is a great movie if you haven't seen it before.
Great movie.
Lots of great suggestions...I'd add a huge recommendation for Nine Queens if you're OK with the subtitles.

The Bank Job is the only memorable heist movie I can think of that has came out in the last few years.
The miniseries "The Kill Point" was pretty good."Inside Man" and "The Lookout" were decent.
Kill Point was a decent retread of every other heist movie you've seen before. It brings nothing new to the table but has some decent, if not over the top, acting for a mini-series.Finless' wallet thread made me think of A Simple Plan, that might barely squeeze into this category and is a great movie if you haven't seen it before.
Great movie.
Lots of great suggestions...I'd add a huge recommendation for Nine Queens if you're OK with the subtitles.
Also, in the old-time area, Double Indemnity and Bob Le Flambeur (again if you're OK with subtitles).Another fantastic one in Spanish is Intacto.

Looking for classic or recent movies that are simply "fun" and that my 8-year old son and I could both watch and both enjoy.

I'm not sure what the criteria I want to use is, other than "equally entertaining for both 8 year old boy and dad," and "I haven't seen it a million times (which precludes Star Wars, Princess Bride, and some other greats). Looking for overlooked greats.

The first movie on the list will be: Searching for Bobby Fisher. I haven't seen it for years, but I'm thinking this would be perfect for an 8-year old. I'll post again with his and my thoughts.

After that, I am considering Spellbound, but my wife thinks that will be too old/intense for him.

I was very surprised with a recent rental, "City Of Ember"...I found it quite entertaining and the kids liked it as well.

I was very surprised with a recent rental, "City Of Ember"...I found it quite entertaining and the kids liked it as well.
Fairly decent movie, kids would love it. Threw it on with the GF not having any idea what it was about and she really enjoyed... I got a little bored but it is by far better than most kid movies out there.

Couple of things from the plane:

Frost/Nixon: I'm a bit late on this one as I know there was some good discussion previously. I was alternately impressed with and annoyed by this movie. The pluses: Frank Langella's performance; interesting subject matter handled with an aura of suspense. The minuses: Nixon portrayed too often as some merry prankster that he was not; guy playing Frost was a bit too shticky with it; absolutely no development of the other characters; no purpose for focus on Frost's love interest. 3/5

The Class: Somewhat disappointed with this French movie about a teacher in a middle school classroom. Sometimes it felt incredibly authentic; sometimes just way too melodramatic. Overall interesting enough but not fantastic. 3/5

I've Loved You So Long: Watched this one a couple of weeks ago and wanted to let it sink in a bit before reviewing, and I'm glad I did as I appreciate it more as time goes on. Anyone have any idea why Kristin Scott Thomas only acts in French movies (and in French) these days? Anyway, she was absolutely splendid, one of the best performances I've seen in a long time, as a woman released from prison and trying to reestablish her life and her relationship with her sister. The woman who played the sister was terrific as well. Very moving, realistic portrait of a family with skeletons and how they move on and live their lives. This one sneaks up on you and suddenly you realize you've watched something special. 4.5/5

Frost/Nixon: I'm a bit late on this one as I know there was some good discussion previously. I was alternately impressed with and annoyed by this movie. The pluses: Frank Langella's performance; interesting subject matter handled with an aura of suspense. The minuses: Nixon portrayed too often as some merry prankster that he was not; guy playing Frost was a bit too shticky with it; absolutely no development of the other characters; no purpose for focus on Frost's love interest.
I haven't seen it yet, but I wanted to comment on that. I think that kind of nonsense is often thrown in "for the ladies" - as if women aren't able to enjoy a movie sans a romantic relationship. Like I picture some fat, greasy producer reading the script and asking why there's no girlfriend in the movie. I think it's really lame and cliche. Another good example of this device is the girlfriend in Gone Baby, Gone. The girlfriend is pure fluff, and there's no point for her being in the movie other than for the camera's ability to capture her pretty reactions to the drama.

Frost/Nixon: I'm a bit late on this one as I know there was some good discussion previously. I was alternately impressed with and annoyed by this movie. The pluses: Frank Langella's performance; interesting subject matter handled with an aura of suspense. The minuses: Nixon portrayed too often as some merry prankster that he was not; guy playing Frost was a bit too shticky with it; absolutely no development of the other characters; no purpose for focus on Frost's love interest.
I haven't seen it yet, but I wanted to comment on that. I think that kind of nonsense is often thrown in "for the ladies" - as if women aren't able to enjoy a movie sans a romantic relationship. Like I picture some fat, greasy producer reading the script and asking why there's no girlfriend in the movie. I think it's really lame and cliche. Another good example of this device is the girlfriend in Gone Baby, Gone. The girlfriend is pure fluff, and there's no point for her being in the movie other than for the camera's ability to capture her pretty reactions to the drama.
:thumbup: This wasn't a romantic comedy (nor was Gone Baby Gone), and it was just silly and unnecessary.

Great question. I think most of these would be appropriate depending on his maturity:Master and Commander

Mulan

October Sky

Dear Frankie

Swiss Family Robinson
Iron Giant

Great question. I think most of these would be appropriate depending on his maturity:Master and Commander

Mulan

October Sky

Dear Frankie

Swiss Family Robinson
Iron Giant
Ahem. Already sniped you on that one.

Mulan

October Sky

Dear Frankie

Swiss Family Robinson
Iron Giant
After Lolita, this is the :finalstraw:

The Wrestler

I love this movie. Love it. A+. I can scarcely think of another character I have rooted for more in my life. This movie makes me really feel for athletes - especially the violent sports like wrestling, boxing, hockey, and football.

The Wrestler got me thinking about freewill. Yes, we have brains that are capable of complex, intellectual choices. But do we really have a choice? Rourke's character is a bad parent. I have no sympathy for that. However, it seems like that man doesn't just make a choice to be a bad parent. He likely had a series of traumatic events and very bad parenting as a child that led to his choices. I'm not excusing his behavior. I'm just questioning the entire notion of freewill. To assume that he can just "do the right thing" isn't accurate.

I can't say one bad thing about The Wrestler. So far, Darren Aronofsky has made two of the best movies I've ever seen with The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream.
jdogg, I have to agree that the wrestler was my favorite movie of the year and I was all in Mickys corner as far as the best actor was concerned, but after I saw MILK I can understand how Penn won the award. Still love the Wrestler though as the best picture.
I'll be thinking about the movie for a long time. I believe it's the a perfect movie. I wouldn't change one single thing about The Wrestler - and that's a rarity.Looking forward to Milk.
Just got done watching The Wrestler. Great directing, great acting, but I couldn't get into it. Really couldn't get into his character or care about what happened to him. Maybe it was the ####ty parenting, maybe it was the wrestling that I outgrew 20 years ago, etc.. but I couldn't root for the guy at all. For a movie to work or get a 10/10 rating I usually have to really like or really hate a character and get into the movie enough for that. With "The Ram" I just ended up not caring one way or the other and for me the movie suffered for it.
Just watched it myself- very nice movie: obviously brilliantly acted by Rourke (although like the other poster, IMO Penn deservedly won the Oscar), the other two leads and amazing (I assume local) casting of everybody else. I really appreciate Aronofsky's restraint here- the grainy quality of the film and the use of emotionally tight shots paired with dramatically framed longer shots. And even with the restraint some astonishing visuals (I'm thinking of the fight with the hill-billy in particular). Appropriate score, although I'm not a fan of the genre it brought me right into the lives of the characters. One thing for me- I felt that the "heart-attack" plot device was cliched and lazy. I would have preferred to see the Ram have to deal with his life without his mortality so obviously hanging over his shoulder and driving all the action.

That said- my approach could easily slip into melodrama... and not so sure how the story could have been told succinctly within the timeframe of a movie. On the plus side, the plot device does make him face the reality of who he really is- deciding on the ring vs life. And in retrospect, I'm nitpicking more than anything- just remembering the moment the doctor made the announcement to the Ram made me :sarcasm: since it so obviously set up the rest of the movie. But it still played out incredbily well.
:clap: ?Nobody else bothered by the heart-attack plot device?

Oh- also occured to me in another thread... Wrestler is very similar to Requiem for a Heavyweight (and more than a few other old-school sports movies) in plot.

:clap: ?

Nobody else bothered by the heart-attack plot device?

Oh- also occured to me in another thread... Wrestler is very similar to Requiem for a Heavyweight (and more than a few other old-school sports movies) in plot.
Not really. If you look at how battered and bruised those guys were (and how poorly they treated their bodies) I'd argue that some kind of life-threatening condition was inevitable.

:nerd: ?

Not really. If you look at how battered and bruised those guys were (and how poorly they treated their bodies) I'd argue that some kind of life-threatening condition was inevitable.
Yeah. Not saying I don't believe he's realistically set up to have a heart-attack as an aging pro-wrestler. Clearly a life of juicing, yay-yo and debauchery, let alone getting staple-gunned and repeatedly whacked on the head with folding chairs isn't in Jack Lalane's guide to a long and healthy life.I'm saying it's simply a lazy and cliched plot device- old-fashioned even. I felt that the characters were so amazingly fleshed out and acted that I'd have been more interested in seeing the Ram's life play out without the threat of impending death driving his actions. Still loved the movie... just looking for a little more creative direction for it.

:nerd: ?

Yeah. Not saying I don't believe he's realistically set up to have a heart-attack as an aging pro-wrestler. Clearly a life of juicing, yay-yo and debauchery, let alone getting staple-gunned and repeatedly whacked on the head with folding chairs isn't in Jack Lalane's guide to a long and healthy life.I'm saying it's simply a lazy and cliched plot device- old-fashioned even. I felt that the characters were so amazingly fleshed out and acted that I'd have been more interested in seeing the Ram's life play out without the threat of impending death driving his actions. Still loved the movie... just looking for a little more creative direction for it.
I can't disagree with that. Though your objections didn't bother me.

caught up on a couple ive always wanted to see but somehow felt through the cracks....

empire of the sun - damn, young Bale carried this. 4/4

rushmore - did not disappoint, always been a wes a fan. 4/4

Monster Squad
:banned: Bought it when it came out and popped it in about a month ago. I was surprised by the language in the movie. I wouldn't recommend it to an 8 year old. (Although I am a slight prude compared to most when talking about movies for kids).

Anyone have any bank robbery, heist, political thriller type movies they'd recommend? Can be old or now...just looking for something good that I might not have seen.
It's from the 50s, but one of my favorites has always been Kubrick's The Killing.ETA: Others I haven't seen recommend are The Spanish Prisoner, Snatch, Out of Sight. I would assume that you've seen stuff like Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects.

Last edited by a moderator:

GooniesBack to the Future 1 & 2

Karate Kid

Stand by Me

The Sandlot

I'm sure you've seen a couple of those a few times...but I'm always willing to sit through another watching of any of those. Dunno if 8 year olds today will enjoy them as much.

If you really wanna go old school I always loved Swiss Family Robinson.

For more recent flicks I thought Wall-E was pretty dope.

thanks for the suggestions on the bank robbery/heist flicks. seen a bunch that were mentioned but added the following to the queue:

rififi

the bank job

the conversation

Nine Queens

keep em comin if you think of others!

:shrug:

thanks for the suggestions on the bank robbery/heist flicks. seen a bunch that were mentioned but added the following to the queue:rififithe bank jobthe conversationNine Queenskeep em comin if you think of others! :thumbup:
I remember The Conversation petering out a bit at the end. But that's a very good movie and there's pretty much no better actor than Gene Hackman.

What is Rachel Getting Married and why would you guys watch it if it's horrible???
As stated above, I watched it as Chick Flick restitution to my wife for watching the Capitals' playoff game every other night for (I hope) two months or so.That being said, I thought it was going to be good. I love Jonathan Demme movies.Then the movie started and in literally the very first shot, Anne Hathaway had such a bad haircut that I said: "Oh, what, was she going for an Oscar?" To which my wife informed me that she had indeed received a Best Actress nomination. Trust me, the nod should have gone to her hairstylist, and not the person responsible for this trite, meaningless, self-indulgent performance.There were a couple of scenes that were supposed to be big, meaningful important moments that caused me to laugh out loud (and even my wife just rolled her eyes) -- one involved a slap fight with Debra Winger and one focused on a plate).
I thought it was fantastic (except for the plate scene, that was a little much), and in no way would I lump it in with "chick flicks."Hard to explain why I liked it so much, other than it just rang true. I felt like I was at the wedding.

It's from the 50s, but one of my favorites has always been Kubrick's The Killing.ETA: Others I haven't seen recommend are The Spanish Prisoner, Snatch, Out of Sight. I would assume that you've seen stuff like Reservoir Dogs and The Usual Suspects.
i know i am in the minority here but i think "the killing" is not a good film. it's kind of boring and maybe kubrick's weakest, i think. if you want that kind of hardboiled heist and caper then go with classics like "asphalt jungle", "kiss of death" and "night & the city" rather than a good director's lesser work. on the politicall thriller side, give something like "the parallax view" with vintage warren beatty and 70's paranoid a try.

There have been some good suggestions. I'll make one more as a change of pace bank robbery film. If you have not seen "Quick Change" a Bill Murry film, make sure you put it on your list.

There have been some good suggestions. I'll make one more as a change of pace bank robbery film. If you have not seen "Quick Change" a Bill Murry film, make sure you put it on your list.
I was just coming in here to post Quick Change... very underrated, quotable comedy.Another comedy- The Ladykillers (the original... can't vouch for the Coen Bros remake which I didn't hear good things about).

What is Rachel Getting Married and why would you guys watch it if it's horrible???
As stated above, I watched it as Chick Flick restitution to my wife for watching the Capitals' playoff game every other night for (I hope) two months or so.That being said, I thought it was going to be good. I love Jonathan Demme movies.Then the movie started and in literally the very first shot, Anne Hathaway had such a bad haircut that I said: "Oh, what, was she going for an Oscar?" To which my wife informed me that she had indeed received a Best Actress nomination. Trust me, the nod should have gone to her hairstylist, and not the person responsible for this trite, meaningless, self-indulgent performance.There were a couple of scenes that were supposed to be big, meaningful important moments that caused me to laugh out loud (and even my wife just rolled her eyes) -- one involved a slap fight with Debra Winger and one focused on a plate).
I thought it was fantastic (except for the plate scene, that was a little much), and in no way would I lump it in with "chick flicks."Hard to explain why I liked it so much, other than it just rang true. I felt like I was at the wedding.
There was so much hate for this film in here... just saw it last night after avoiding for a long time.Thought it was ok. Obviously a vehicle for Hathaway, who did everything she could with the character. I wasn't bothered by, and actually liked the family interplay- maybe too over-the-top drama-queeny, but at a wedding even the most functional families go :loco: .... this disfunctional one has reason to go nutso. I liked the quality of direction and technical support (editing, lighting, sound, etc).I was most bothered by the self-indulgent casting of everybody outside the immediate family. And unlike Littlejeans... sorry- MR Littlejeans... I found the wedding stuff cloyingly selfindulgent... Fab 5 Freddy? Really? Sister Carol? Really? The chick from American Idol? Robyn Hitchcock? It's as if Demme thought "I'm going to have a party and fill it up with "cool" people I know". I felt he gave far too much love and screen time to that crowd and when he did so, the movie drifted into pointlessness. Also came across as way happier with more "look at me" moments from the supporting players than I would've liked. Maybe it woudl've been too much to have it be constantly centered about the addict and her fighting/avoiding family? I don't think so.oh- loved the line in the mini-mart "hey... I saw you on COPS".eta: in fairness to Mr Littlejeans comment above- I agree... it did make you feel like you were at that wedding.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet J said:

I watched Strange Brew with my 3 & 5 year old boys. They loved it. They've been having steamroller fights ever since.

buddyboy said:
SouthJersey said:
Just added it :hifive:

forgot one other movie I had watched this past weekend:

Grace is Gone

It was pretty forgettable. Nothing really happened, kind of a one trick pony here. If you read the cover of the disk, you got the whole movie. The performances were adequate, but nothing that I think I'll ever recall as ground breaking. It's a pretty sad story all around I suppose, and as a father I could only imagine how I would handle it, although most certainly not the way John Cusack's character did. I'll score it a 1.5 / 5.0, it was only around 80 minutes so it didn't drag on too long, otherwise it most certainly would have been graded lower.

krista4 said:
El Floppo said:
jdoggydogg said:
Sweet J said:

Mulan

October Sky

Dear Frankie

Swiss Family Robinson
Iron Giant
Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. I am making a list. My boy and I will do a movie a week, and I'll review here, with his comments. First up for our Friday Movie Night: Iron Giant. (He is also looking forward to Spellbound, but mainly because he and I have watched the video of that kid fainting at least 500 times in the past 6 months or so.).

Thanks everybody for all your suggestions. I am making a list. My boy and I will do a movie a week, and I'll review here, with his comments. First up for our Friday Movie Night: Iron Giant. (He is also looking forward to Spellbound, but mainly because he and I have watched the video of that kid fainting at least 500 times in the past 6 months or so.).
Iron Giant is in my top 20 all time movies. :lmao: Good Boy!, while not great, is tolerable for adults. The kids would probably really like it.

krista4 said:
El Floppo said:
jdoggydogg said:
Sweet J said:

Mulan

October Sky

Dear Frankie

Swiss Family Robinson
Iron Giant
black dot

El Floppo said:
buddyboy said:
SouthJersey said:
I was just coming in here to post Quick Change... very underrated, quotable comedy.Another comedy- The Ladykillers (the original... can't vouch for the Coen Bros remake which I didn't hear good things about).
I liked the Ladykillers remake - but I am in the minority.

I need to recommend Bolt. While it's not necessarily a Pixar-quality movie, I thought it was fun.

I liked the Ladykillers remake - but I am in the minority.
I liked it too. Pretty much anything with JK Simmons gets my vote.
Be sure to watch Party Down on either Netflix Instant Watch or Starz onDemand. JK Simmons absolutely steals the show with his guest appearance in Episode 6 "Taylor Stiltskin Sweet Sixteen Party".I would recommend starting at episode 1 for the full effect, but that episode is probably my favorite if I had to recommend just one.

Best series I've watched in a while, its in the mode of "The Office", with Hollywood caterers, but it is far superior in my opinion.

Inglorious Bastards - 9/10 - Pretty gruesome, and nasty. Not recommended for those with sensitive stomachs. Brad Pitt does a great job, but I had a hard time picturing Ryan from the Office as a soldier.

Inglorious Bastards - 9/10 - Pretty gruesome, and nasty. Not recommended for those with sensitive stomachs. Brad Pitt does a great job, but I had a hard time picturing Ryan from the Office as a soldier.
:blackdot: You have restored my faith that this will be a decent movie. Thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread