What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (4 Viewers)

The Burrowers

Creature feature set in the Great Plains circa late 1800's. Tremors type story with Pitch Black type creatures and Cowboys and Indians. Creepy but not particularly scary. More care put into it than your average monster movie, but still nothing special. Wouldn't be a complete waste of time if you are a fan of the genre, like myself, and are usually left disappointed by 90% of whats being made. Really enjoyed one of the finest B/C level casts put together in quite some time. (Clancy Brown, William Mapother, Doug Hutchinson).

3/5
This is next on my list. Got about 5-6 B horror flicks coming up.
If your a fan of the genre, I would recommend any of the following if they slipped under your radar:-Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight

-Slaugherhouse (1987)

-Ravenous

-Leviathan

-Feast

-Fido

-Session 9

-The Signal

-Slither

-They Live

The Burrowers

Creature feature set in the Great Plains circa late 1800's. Tremors type story with Pitch Black type creatures and Cowboys and Indians. Creepy but not particularly scary. More care put into it than your average monster movie, but still nothing special. Wouldn't be a complete waste of time if you are a fan of the genre, like myself, and are usually left disappointed by 90% of whats being made. Really enjoyed one of the finest B/C level casts put together in quite some time. (Clancy Brown, William Mapother, Doug Hutchinson).

3/5
If your a fan of the genre, I would recommend any of the following if they slipped under your radar:-Tales From the Crypt: Demon Knight

-Slaugherhouse (1987)

-Ravenous

-Leviathan

-Feast

-Fido

-Session 9

-The Signal

-Slither

-They Live
I'll have to check out the other ones :goodposting:

Charlie Harper said:
hooter311 said:
The Burrowers

3/5

-Slaugherhouse (1987)

-Ravenous

-Leviathan

-Feast

-Fido

-Session 9

-The Signal

-Slither

-They Live
I'll have to check out the other ones :goodposting:
The Eye is pretty cool, as well.

S. Darko

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of Donnie Darko. It is one of a very select few movies I would rate 10/10 or a "perfect" movie in my book, and its in my personal Top 3. I've seen it easily 50+ times going through college because it still seemed like you could pick up something else from the story. Richard Kelly treated as his love child and never talked about how he saw it in his mind, just let the fans accept it for what it is and come up with their own theories.

S. Darko almost had me fooled into actually enjoying it, until it started toying with themes from the first movie in a totally different manner. Afterwards, I watched the "making of" extra on the DVD and discovered that the director admitted to knowing "very little" about the Donnie Darko universe and also admitted he hadn't even took the time to watch the final cut of it yet. WTF? Then they interviewed the editor who also admitted to knowing nothing about Donnie Darko or even the rationalization of what was going on, he just said he was going for maximum emotional impact with little regard to anything else. It failed miserably. The acting is as wooden as I've ever seen in movie and it seems like the cast is actually convinced they are doing a good job.

The only saving grace was that the writer did make an honest effort as a re-imagining of the story line. He admitted to being very hesitant about the idea when he was approached with it, being a big fan of the first one. The problem is that with the director's disinterest and the actor's lack of any ability, very little of his intentions come across on screen.

They couldn't even come up with a decent soundtrack that they attempt to rely on. Nothing like the Tears for Fears covers from the first. This should not be considered a sequel as it follows almost the exact same plot line of the first movie, except that the role of Donnie Darko is split between two characters, and it branches off immensely in the complete train wreck of a third act.

I remember watching the original for the first time and being completely blown away by the ending. Watching the end of this one and trying to make sense of it made me want to gouge my eyes out. How could you even attempt to build on another man's vision without even a clue of what he was trying for? Kelly has said publicly that he would never work with anyone involved in the production of this film even before it was made.

I could go on forever, but I think I've made the point pretty clear. If you were a causal fan of the first one you may enjoy it as a timewaster, the special effects aren't too bad. But if you either loved or hated the first one, you are going to hate this one.

1/5

One star because I actually pity the guy the took the paycheck to write this abortion, he had honest intentions but inevitably end up being loathed by thousands of fans of the original.

Caddyshack 2 > S. Darko.

Last edited by a moderator:
S. Darko

Let me start by saying I'm a huge fan of Donnie Darko. It is one of a very select few movies I would rate 10/10 or a "perfect" movie in my book, and its in my personal Top 3. I've seen it easily 50+ times going through college because it still seemed like you could pick up something else from the story. Richard Kelly treated as his love child and never talked about how he saw it in his mind, just let the fans accept it for what it is and come up with their own theories.

S. Darko almost had me fooled into actually enjoying it, until it started toying with themes from the first movie in a totally different matter. Afterwards, I watched the "making of" extra on the DVD and discovered that the director admitted to knowing "very little" about the Donnie Darko universe and also admitted he hadn't even took the time to watch the final cut of it yet. WTF? Then they interviewed the editor who also admitted to knowing nothing about Donnie Darko or even the rationalization of what was going on, he just said he was going for maximum emotional impact with little regard to anything else. It failed miserably. The acting is as wooden as I've ever seen in movie and it seems like the cast is actually convinced they are doing a good job.

The only saving grace was that the writer did make an honest effort as a re-imagining of the story line. He admitted to being very hesitant about the idea when he was approached with it, being a big fan of the first one. The problem is that with the director's disinterest and the actor's lack of any ability, very little of his intentions come across on screen.

They couldn't even come up with a decent soundtrack that they attempt to rely on. Nothing like the Tears for Fears covers from the first. This should not be considered a sequel as it follows almost the exact same plot line of the first movie, except that the role of Donnie Darko is split between two characters, and it branches off immensely in the complete train wreck of a third act.

I remember watching the original for the first time and being completely blown away by the ending. Watching the end of this one and trying to make sense of it made me want to gouge my eyes out. How could you even attempt to build on another man's vision without even a clue of what he was trying for? Kelly has said publicly that he would never work with anyone involved in the production of this film even before it was made.

I could go on forever, but I think I've made the point pretty clear. If you were a causal fan of the first one you may enjoy it as a timewaster, the special effects aren't too bad. But if you either loved or hated the first one, you are going to hate this one.

1/5

One star because I actually pity the guy the took the paycheck to write this abortion, he had honest intentions but inevitably end up being loathed by thousands of fans of the original.

Caddyshack 2 > S. Darko.
That this piece of #### was even made is a microcosm for all that is wrong with Hollywood.

The Burrowers

3/5

-Slaugherhouse (1987)

-Ravenous

-Leviathan

-Feast

-Fido

-Session 9

-The Signal

-Slither

-They Live
I'll have to check out the other ones :lmao:
The Eye is pretty cool, as well.
Don't forget Black Sheep.

I remember enjoying Black Sheep...you know coming in what you're in for...so no one should be let down or surprised by anything.

Layed low this weekend and caught four movies.

Bad News Bears (1976) - A. Still the best of kids talking dirty movies. And Vic Morrow is the perfect villian.

Star Trek (2009) - A-. Not the best one (I rank it below Wraith of Khan and First Contact), but a very good reboot. Lots of action and very funny in parts.

Taken - B. No Stop action

Wanted - A-. If you let go and believe the unbelievable, it is a awesome action movie

10 Questions for the Dalai Lama - 7/10 - Interesting documentary about the conflict in Tibet, and Buddhism.

Some pretty crazy, and interesting stuff happening in this region. I will sum it up real quick,

The current Dalai Lama is almost 80, so he selected the "Panchen Lama." This kid is supposed to be the one who finds the next reincarnation of Buddah once the current Dalai Lama dies. As soon as the Dalai Lama selected this kid his entire family went missing. China took them, and he is currently the youngest political prisoner in the world. China has since appointed their own Panchen Lama. They are pretty much going to select their own illegitimate Dalai Lama, and attempt to manipulate the entire religion. Since censorship is so tight, they will be able to pass this onto the current inhabitants of the region of Tibet that are primarily Buddhist.

So the next Buddah will be out there unknowingly, and have to find his path to enlightment on his own much like Siddartha did. The current Dalai Lama said he won't be born in China, but could be anywhere else around the world.

two this weekend.

The Fall

I'm sure I queued this one up from a recommendation in this thread. I really didn't have any idea what to expect going into this one. I read the DVD cover, and I've seen "The Cell" so that was all I had to go on. From the opening credits, I thought this movie was fantastic visually. Obviously major attention to detail was shown throughout and you could easily tell. Some of the cuts from one scene to the next were absolutely awesome - One in particular from a priest that betrayed our hero to a desert shot in the sand, it was really well done. You felt like you were fading from reality to dreamworld and the story lines in both were decent. And I don't know what it is, nor can I explain it, but about 90 minutes into this one, it all fell apart. I guess the part where it all started to fail for me was about the time when the heroes caught the princess in the desert. The flow of the rest of the movie was lost for me. Went from being great to just okay. It's still a very nice film to look at, but to me, it just isn't a complete great movie. Rank it a 2.5/5.0

Role Models

Let me preface this one by saying, I'm a huge Paul Rudd fan. Him and Vince Vaughn make me laugh hard consistently more than any other actors out there. I like the dead pan, quick talking, smart alecky kinda humor he brings to the table. This one had all the makeup of huge LOL material. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to be funny all the time for the sake of being funny. I think that was my problem with this one, in that it had too many long lapses between laughs, too much Sean William Scott who is a great complimentary actor, but I just don't see him as a lead type actor. Anyway, the movie did have a few parts that had me laughing, but nothing close to bringing me to tears. I would watch it again if nothing better was on, but I doubt I would go out of my way to watch it again. Rank it a 2.25/5.0

guru_007 said:
two this weekend.

The Fall

I'm sure I queued this one up from a recommendation in this thread. I really didn't have any idea what to expect going into this one. I read the DVD cover, and I've seen "The Cell" so that was all I had to go on. From the opening credits, I thought this movie was fantastic visually. Obviously major attention to detail was shown throughout and you could easily tell. Some of the cuts from one scene to the next were absolutely awesome - One in particular from a priest that betrayed our hero to a desert shot in the sand, it was really well done. You felt like you were fading from reality to dreamworld and the story lines in both were decent. And I don't know what it is, nor can I explain it, but about 90 minutes into this one, it all fell apart. I guess the part where it all started to fail for me was about the time when the heroes caught the princess in the desert. The flow of the rest of the movie was lost for me. Went from being great to just okay. It's still a very nice film to look at, but to me, it just isn't a complete great movie. Rank it a 2.5/5.0

Role Models

Let me preface this one by saying, I'm a huge Paul Rudd fan. Him and Vince Vaughn make me laugh hard consistently more than any other actors out there. I like the dead pan, quick talking, smart alecky kinda humor he brings to the table. This one had all the makeup of huge LOL material. Unfortunately, sometimes it's hard to be funny all the time for the sake of being funny. I think that was my problem with this one, in that it had too many long lapses between laughs, too much Sean William Scott who is a great complimentary actor, but I just don't see him as a lead type actor. Anyway, the movie did have a few parts that had me laughing, but nothing close to bringing me to tears. I would watch it again if nothing better was on, but I doubt I would go out of my way to watch it again. Rank it a 2.25/5.0
Tough critic. I felt that The Fall picked up for me where it trailed off for you and thought that Role Models was the one of the best comedies of last year. Slumdog Millionaire is the only film I've seen in the last year that could hold a candle to the Fall, which we can agree is an absolutely beautiful film.

QUEZILLA said:
10 Questions for the Dalai Lama - 7/10 - Interesting documentary about the conflict in Tibet, and Buddhism. Some pretty crazy, and interesting stuff happening in this region. I will sum it up real quick,The current Dalai Lama is almost 80, so he selected the "Panchen Lama." This kid is supposed to be the one who finds the next reincarnation of Buddah once the current Dalai Lama dies. As soon as the Dalai Lama selected this kid his entire family went missing. China took them, and he is currently the youngest political prisoner in the world. China has since appointed their own Panchen Lama. They are pretty much going to select their own illegitimate Dalai Lama, and attempt to manipulate the entire religion. Since censorship is so tight, they will be able to pass this onto the current inhabitants of the region of Tibet that are primarily Buddhist. So the next Buddah will be out there unknowingly, and have to find his path to enlightment on his own much like Siddartha did. The current Dalai Lama said he won't be born in China, but could be anywhere else around the world.
whoa... interesting/sad stuff there. are the current residents in Tibet (that haven't been trained/bused there by China) aware of this? What's the thought on whether the chinese appointment will be accepted... or has he already?

We got a baby-sitter and saw Star Trek last night.

I had medium expectations- I was just hoping to be entertained without too much :confused: . I was not expecting much from the cast and hoped the action would be enough to warrant the trip. I couldn't have been more happy with the experience (other than some ##### with a massive PDA constantly texting or something in the front row)- the back-story was fun for an old non-geek fan, the action moved right along with decent CGI, but I couldn't have been more wrong about the acting. I expected Kirk to be abysmal from the commercials, but IMO he was fantastic; it's hard to channel the bombast and melodramatic goofiness of Shatner wthout doing a parroted karaoke version- but this kid carried a lot of that forward, and still made it his own in a fairly believable manner. Spock (the guy from Heroes) was great as well- much more of the bubbling 1/2 human emotional side perceived just below the surface than Nimoy. Could've used more Bana, and Simon Pigg (Pegg?) was a bit over the top. But I actually loved whoever did Bones- that was the most faithfully translated acting styles of the original... which could've been annoying, but was played very well.

We both thought it could've used a bit more of an intellectual approach to the story to have made it more than just a fun summer ride- the best sci-fi usually does. But at this point, I'll take a fun summer ride.

I had medium expectations- I was just hoping to be entertained without too much :lmao: . I was not expecting much from the cast and hoped the action would be enough to warrant the trip. I couldn't have been more happy with the experience (other than some ##### with a massive PDA constantly texting or something in the front row)- the back-story was fun for an old non-geek fan, the action moved right along with decent CGI, but I couldn't have been more wrong about the acting. I expected Kirk to be abysmal from the commercials, but IMO he was fantastic; it's hard to channel the bombast and melodramatic goofiness of Shatner wthout doing a parroted karaoke version- but this kid carried a lot of that forward, and still made it his own in a fairly believable manner. Spock (the guy from Heroes) was great as well- much more of the bubbling 1/2 human emotional side perceived just below the surface than Nimoy. Could've used more Bana, and Simon Pigg (Pegg?) was a bit over the top. But I actually loved whoever did Bones- that was the most faithfully translated acting styles of the original... which could've been annoying, but was played very well.

We both thought it could've used a bit more of an intellectual approach to the story to have made it more than just a fun summer ride- the best sci-fi usually does. But at this point, I'll take a fun summer ride.
The trailer looks awful, and I am trying my best to hate this movie. But you are yet another trusted source that likes Star Trek. Apparently, my gut is wrong about this one.

I had medium expectations- I was just hoping to be entertained without too much :shrug: . I was not expecting much from the cast and hoped the action would be enough to warrant the trip. I couldn't have been more happy with the experience (other than some ##### with a massive PDA constantly texting or something in the front row)- the back-story was fun for an old non-geek fan, the action moved right along with decent CGI, but I couldn't have been more wrong about the acting. I expected Kirk to be abysmal from the commercials, but IMO he was fantastic; it's hard to channel the bombast and melodramatic goofiness of Shatner wthout doing a parroted karaoke version- but this kid carried a lot of that forward, and still made it his own in a fairly believable manner. Spock (the guy from Heroes) was great as well- much more of the bubbling 1/2 human emotional side perceived just below the surface than Nimoy. Could've used more Bana, and Simon Pigg (Pegg?) was a bit over the top. But I actually loved whoever did Bones- that was the most faithfully translated acting styles of the original... which could've been annoying, but was played very well.

The trailer looks awful, and I am trying my best to hate this movie. But you are yet another trusted source that likes Star Trek. Apparently, my gut is wrong about this one.
Don't get me wrong though- by tomorrow I will have mostly forgotten all about it and there were certainly some eyerolling moments. There's not much to grab and hold onto here- but it's a fun 2hours.I don't understand why my spoiler isn't showing up either.

guru_007 said:
two this weekend.

Role Models

I was kinda disappointed with Role Models as well. It could have been a whole lot betterI do recommend checking out I Love You Man. It's probably the funniest movie I've watched so far in '09.

watched the first disc of the hbo mini-series "k street". produced by soderbergh and clooney, it takes a stab at lobbying within Washington DC. it's pretty loose storytelling - which can be frustrating - but it's kind of interesting nonetheless. it uses real "players" in DC - senators, congressmen, journalists, etc - to give it some authenticity. maybe the most surprising thing is how good carville and matalin are as versions of themselves.
finished the second disc. 10 episodes total for the series. the narrative is scattered and unfocused. the pacing is pretty awful too. best episode is maybe the last one and that's no surprise when soderbergh himself is directing it. it's a very frustrating show to watch because the expectations are so high for this.

Saw Pride and Glory. Thought it was better than expected. The story is average but the performances were excellent. Good ensemble cast.

Finally saw Napoleon Dynamite (I know, where the heck have I been?). Definitely entertaining and quirky funny. Loved the guy blasting the cow in front of the school bus.

Bought the blue ray version of Cast Away because I heard the sound and picture were very good. Correction, the sound and scenery were awesome in this format.

Only seen Star Trek II before. Recently. Very good.

The new Star Trek was terrific though. The black chick is off the charts. In my top 5 now. Just checked IMDB. I knew I've seen her before. The piece from Drumline.

Watched The Reader this weekend.

I liked it. Its the only holocaust movie I've seen where the SS guards are portrayed as simple/uneducated people who really just thought they were doing their job.

Valkyrie: Put off watching this for a long time and should have probably put it off a little longer. The movie wasn't bad but it definitely didn't hold my interest, mostly because you knew their plan was doomed from the beginning. Any movie based on true events usually bores me when I know the outcome. 2.5/5

Quarantine: The best horror movie I've seen in a long time. No ridiculous plot twists, some good acting and a fairly realistic plot (as far as horror movies go). I can't think of many recent movies that compare with it. Some people would say The Strangers... but I hated it. Anything else recently that you think was better? 4/5

Mega Shark vs Giant Octopus: :shrug: Epic. In a few years it will rival other classic monster movies like King Kong and Godzilla. Or maybe not. How someone could actually waste money making this movie is mind-boggling. Everything single thing about this was horrible. The "effects", the "acting" and the "plot" were all just painful. I think they had 2 different clips of their shark that they used through-out the whole movie. If this movie had been a little better, it would have been a whole lot worse. The unintentional comedy was off the charts. 1/5

Valkyrie: Put off watching this for a long time and should have probably put it off a little longer. The movie wasn't bad but it definitely didn't hold my interest, mostly because you knew their plan was doomed from the beginning. Any movie based on true events usually bores me when I know the outcome. 2.5/5

Quarantine: The best horror movie I've seen in a long time. No ridiculous plot twists, some good acting and a fairly realistic plot (as far as horror movies go). I can't think of many recent movies that compare with it. Some people would say The Strangers... but I hated it. Anything else recently that you think was better? 4/5
Valkyrie was one of my favorites from 2008. The tension had me literally sick to my stomach watching it in theaters. I was familiar with the story before watching it, but I thought it was a great tribute to the real German soldiers that did what they thought was right. I'd rate it 4/5, maybe higher.Quarantine hooked me right away but barely held my interest once the plot was set in motion. Didn't care for the ending or even the last 30 minutes. Great idea, I just think it could have been taken a little further. 10x better than how Cloverfield handled the first person pespective, although Blair Witch is still the best example in my opinion. I'd give it 3/5. Come to think of it, the only great horror movies I've seen in the last few years were the Orphanage and the Devil's Backbone, both in spanish. Did agree with Quarantine being better than the Strangers, and thats about the only thing I can think to compare it to as well, both were set up for minimum plot and maximum amount of scares.

Daywalker said:

The new Star Trek was terrific though. The black chick is off the charts. In my top 5 now. Just checked IMDB. I knew I've seen her before. The piece from Drumline.
She also has a small part in Pirates of the Caribbean as part of Captain Jack's crew.I saw Taken last night. Revenge movies rule and this one is completely over the top awesome. 7.5/10.

hooter311 said:
SKribbles said:

Valkyrie was one of my favorites from 2008. The tension had me literally sick to my stomach watching it in theaters. I was familiar with the story before watching it, but I thought it was a great tribute to the real German soldiers that did what they thought was right. I'd rate it 4/5, maybe higher.Quarantine hooked me right away but barely held my interest once the plot was set in motion. Didn't care for the ending or even the last 30 minutes. Great idea, I just think it could have been taken a little further. 10x better than how Cloverfield handled the first person pespective, although Blair Witch is still the best example in my opinion. I'd give it 3/5. Come to think of it, the only great horror movies I've seen in the last few years were the Orphanage and the Devil's Backbone, both in spanish. Did agree with Quarantine being better than the Strangers, and thats about the only thing I can think to compare it to as well, both were set up for minimum plot and maximum amount of scares.
I really don't get the tension in Valkyrie. You knew they were going to fail right? I'm no WW2 buff by any means and I didn't know what the heck Valkyrie meant, but I knew that the Germans did not kill Hitler. The whole movie just seemed like a lead up to a giant bag of fail. I would have enjoyed the movie far more had the outcome not been so obvious. Cloverfield :moneybag: . Big fan of the first person perspective, as long as it doesn't come with the horrible camera work like Cloverfield. That may have been why I enjoyed Quarantine so much. The ending was a little weak but I don't know what else they could do with it. Letting them out of the house would have ruined the movie. I've got the Orphanage but have yet to watch it. Sundays is movie day which means I'm tired, lazy and don't feel like reading subtitles for the whole movie!

I had medium expectations- I was just hoping to be entertained without too much :thumbup: . I was not expecting much from the cast and hoped the action would be enough to warrant the trip. I couldn't have been more happy with the experience (other than some ##### with a massive PDA constantly texting or something in the front row)- the back-story was fun for an old non-geek fan, the action moved right along with decent CGI, but I couldn't have been more wrong about the acting. I expected Kirk to be abysmal from the commercials, but IMO he was fantastic; it's hard to channel the bombast and melodramatic goofiness of Shatner wthout doing a parroted karaoke version- but this kid carried a lot of that forward, and still made it his own in a fairly believable manner. Spock (the guy from Heroes) was great as well- much more of the bubbling 1/2 human emotional side perceived just below the surface than Nimoy. Could've used more Bana, and Simon Pigg (Pegg?) was a bit over the top. But I actually loved whoever did Bones- that was the most faithfully translated acting styles of the original... which could've been annoying, but was played very well.

Don't really want to see this movie, but as for Chris Pynes (think that's his name, off the top of my head), I've been impressed with him since Smoking Aces (which I still don't care what most of you say, it was a good movie).

The Wrestler

I love this movie. Love it. A+. I can scarcely think of another character I have rooted for more in my life. This movie makes me really feel for athletes - especially the violent sports like wrestling, boxing, hockey, and football.

The Wrestler got me thinking about freewill. Yes, we have brains that are capable of complex, intellectual choices. But do we really have a choice? Rourke's character is a bad parent. I have no sympathy for that. However, it seems like that man doesn't just make a choice to be a bad parent. He likely had a series of traumatic events and very bad parenting as a child that led to his choices. I'm not excusing his behavior. I'm just questioning the entire notion of freewill. To assume that he can just "do the right thing" isn't accurate.

I can't say one bad thing about The Wrestler. So far, Darren Aronofsky has made two of the best movies I've ever seen with The Wrestler and Requiem for a Dream.

hooter311 said:
SKribbles said:

4/5
Valkyrie was one of my favorites from 2008. The tension had me literally sick to my stomach watching it in theaters. I was familiar with the story before watching it, but I thought it was a great tribute to the real German soldiers that did what they thought was right. I'd rate it 4/5, maybe higher.
I really don't get the tension in Valkyrie. You knew they were going to fail right? I'm no WW2 buff by any means and I didn't know what the heck Valkyrie meant, but I knew that the Germans did not kill Hitler. The whole movie just seemed like a lead up to a giant bag of fail. I would have enjoyed the movie far more had the outcome not been so obvious.
I guess for me it was the way Singer presented the plan that kept the tension going. I put myself in the shoes of the soldiers that were involved and wondered if I would have had the gumption to do the things these guys did and put themselves at risk the way they did. I knew they would fail, but I didn't know just how far their plans were carried out or when exactly they were discovered. The guy that played Hitler gave me the chills when he was on screen, he may have been a little bit over the top, but at points it seemed like you were actually watching history being played in real time. I watched it in theaters, so I doubt it would have the same impact as popping it in the DVD players. I was completely immersed in the story when I watched it and I liked that only bits of their plan were explained at a time and a lot of it you had to figure out for yourself what their intentions were.

I guess tension from a movie totally depends on the mood, atmosphere, and timing and everything just clicked for me and didn't for you. Still, this is a story that needs to be told and I commend everyone involved in the films production.

Thank you Tom Cruise, you nutty *******!

hooter311 said:
SKribbles said:

4/5
Valkyrie was one of my favorites from 2008. The tension had me literally sick to my stomach watching it in theaters. I was familiar with the story before watching it, but I thought it was a great tribute to the real German soldiers that did what they thought was right. I'd rate it 4/5, maybe higher.
I really don't get the tension in Valkyrie. You knew they were going to fail right? I'm no WW2 buff by any means and I didn't know what the heck Valkyrie meant, but I knew that the Germans did not kill Hitler. The whole movie just seemed like a lead up to a giant bag of fail. I would have enjoyed the movie far more had the outcome not been so obvious.
I guess for me it was the way Singer presented the plan that kept the tension going. I put myself in the shoes of the soldiers that were involved and wondered if I would have had the gumption to do the things these guys did and put themselves at risk the way they did. I knew they would fail, but I didn't know just how far their plans were carried out or when exactly they were discovered. The guy that played Hitler gave me the chills when he was on screen, he may have been a little bit over the top, but at points it seemed like you were actually watching history being played in real time. I watched it in theaters, so I doubt it would have the same impact as popping it in the DVD players. I was completely immersed in the story when I watched it and I liked that only bits of their plan were explained at a time and a lot of it you had to figure out for yourself what their intentions were.

I guess tension from a movie totally depends on the mood, atmosphere, and timing and everything just clicked for me and didn't for you. Still, this is a story that needs to be told and I commend everyone involved in the films production.

Thank you Tom Cruise, you nutty *******!
I liked the movie a lot. Not great, but definitely entertaining.As for knowing the outcome, movies are so rife with cliches, you almost always know the outcome.

I watched this last night and couldn't disagree more. I thought it was an 8/10 movie. The point (and the tension) of a movie based on a true story such as this doesn't come from your anticipation of the resolution of the plot. It comes from your sympathizing with the emotions of the players involved. And in this case all the actors did a terrific job of portraying what their real life counterparts must have felt during the stages of the coup. I particularly like the part where it all starts to unravel and they know they're doomed.

Tom Cruise was much, much less distracting than I thought he would be.

I watched this last night and couldn't disagree more. I thought it was an 8/10 movie. The point (and the tension) of a movie based on a true story such as this doesn't come from your anticipation of the resolution of the plot. It comes from your sympathizing with the emotions of the players involved. And in this case all the actors did a terrific job of portraying what their real life counterparts must have felt during the stages of the coup. I particularly like the part where it all starts to unravel and they know they're doomed.

:rant: Pretty much my exact feelings about the film.

She also has a small part in Pirates of the Caribbean as part of Captain Jack's crew.I saw Taken last night. Revenge movies rule and this one is completely over the top awesome. 7.5/10.
:nerd: Hated the last 5 cheesy mins. of the movie, but the rest was pretty cool. Action was very Bourne Identity-ish.

Watched The Reader this weekend.

I liked it. Its the only holocaust movie I've seen where the SS guards are portrayed as simple/uneducated people who really just thought they were doing their job.
My major beef with the movie and the book:mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Annoyed me that the big focus seemed more on her being illiterate and less on her helping to murder a bunch of people. The book especially seemed to glance over that and really didn't deal with his emotions about her committing those crimes.

*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();

:sadbanana: I never felt any sympathy for them. I just couldn't get past thinking "how did they screw this up" the whole time.

:sadbanana: I never felt any sympathy for them. I just couldn't get past thinking "how did they screw this up" the whole time.
If you'd seen what they seen and hoped for what they hoped for, you'd likely have your mind fill in the blanks like von Stauffenberg did.He wanted to believe Hitler was dead, so he convinced himself that he was. After that, the plan stood no chance.

watched "little children" last night. good but a very familiar tale of suburban ennui. it felt a lot like "american beauty" in many ways. the acting was pretty good all the way around with kate winslet, jennifer connolly, and jackie earle haley. kate looked good in scenes. i wouldn't have objected to a scene or two with ms connolly. she's just silly hot., imo, and totally my type.

:lmao: I never felt any sympathy for them. I just couldn't get past thinking "how did they screw this up" the whole time.
If you'd seen what they seen and hoped for what they hoped for, you'd likely have your mind fill in the blanks like von Stauffenberg did.He wanted to believe Hitler was dead, so he convinced himself that he was. After that, the plan stood no chance.
If I didn't know the outcome, I would have enjoyed the movie far more and most likely have been drawn into it emotionally. What are some other movie like this? Off the top of my head I can only think of W which bored me to tears.

If I didn't know the outcome, I would have enjoyed the movie far more and most likely have been drawn into it emotionally. What are some other movie like this? Off the top of my head I can only think of W which bored me to tears.
Schindler's ListBraveheart

Gandhi

Glory

Spartacus

The Killing Fields

Rudy

The Longest Day

Tora, Tora, Tora

Brian's Song

The Right Stuff

The Elephant Man

Apollo 13

Charlie Wilson's War

American Gangster

United 93

The Last King of Scotland

Munich

The Aviator

Miracle

Walk the Line

Should I go on?...

Really?BraveheartGoodfellasThe Great EscapeRaging BullAre the first one's that come to mind.

Braveheart - Knew it was based on true events, had no idea of the story though.Apollo 13 - :coffee:

Charlie Wilson's War - Knew it was based on true events, had no idea of the story though.

American Gangster - Knew it was based on true events, had no idea of the story though.

The Last King of Scotland - Knew it was based on true events, had no idea of the story though.

Miracle - I'm a sucker for any sports movie.

Should I go on?...
Looking through that link, the vast majority of those films that I've seen told me the story and the events weren't quite on the scale as Hitler's life. Charlie Wilson's War for example, I knew it was about a politician who had some secret dealing going on in the middle east and that was about it. I knew the general plot but not the eventual outcome.

Users who are viewing this thread