What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Recently viewed movie thread - Rental Edition (2 Viewers)

I wasn't paying that close of attention to Revolver, so I'm not sure if I caught it all. Either that, or the movie just doesn't make much sense.

I've been watching this documentary on the German v. Russian front of WWII that is absolutely incredible, War of the Centurty from the BBC. Available on netflix and neflix streaming.

Watched two last night:

1) Traitor - Good movie. There were flaws, but overall a fun spy thriller. Definitely worth a rent and Don Cheadle is always awesome. Also it took me a while to even recognize Guy Pearce.

2) Righteous Kill -- :goodposting: Hard to believe a movie with Al Pacino and DeNiro sucks this bad, but this one did. I don't even think I made it all the way to the end - I think I fell asleep.

Saw Cloverfield last night.

I really liked it and may watch it again before I return it.

I did have to look away a lot due to too much jerky camera shots but it didn't ruin it at all.

One note - the sound on the blue ray is fantastic and if you don't watch it with surround sound, it will lose a lot.

Higher Learning

I remember liking this movie a lot when I was like 14 or so, which doesnt mean a lot, but I watched it again last night and outside of seeing a young lesbo Jennifer Connelly and Tyra Banks, it was hard to watch. Now I actually liked Crash, but I know most here cry about its overratedness. This movie makes Crash's cliches and the movie as a whole like the greatest human interaction piece ever.

Whats even more surprising its a John Singleton movie, whose made a few movies - Boyz N The Hood, Rosewood, Four Brothers - that I really like and think are just solid movies all around.

Last edited by a moderator:
Higher Learning

I remember liking this movie a lot when I was like 14 or so, which doesnt mean a lot, but I watched it again last night and outside of seeing a young lesbo Jennifer Connelly and Tyra Banks, it was hard to watch. Now I actually liked Crash, but I know most here cry about its overratedness. This movie makes Crash's cliches and the movie as a whole like the greatest human interaction piece ever.

Whats even more surprising its a John Singleton movie, whose made a few movies - Boyz N The Hood, Rosewood, Four Brothers - that I really like and think are just solid movies all around.
You liked Four Brothers?John Singleton is a one hit wonder.

I have been on an 80's movie thread.

Broadcast News

A bit dated, but the performances were outstanding. I have always liked Albert Brooks a lot better in other people's movies than his own. He kills it in this role.

William Hurt as the mimbo was really good.

"Flop Sweat" is an iconic phrase.

Higher Learning

You liked Four Brothers?John Singleton is a one hit wonder.
Yeah..I thought Four Brothers was good :excited: Im assuming you mean his hit was Boyz, but Im also gussine you havent seen Rosewood. That movie is fantastic, and much better than Four Brothers comparatively.

watched "the notorious bettie page" last night with the wife. same director did "i shot andy warhol". kind of fun bio-pic. grethen mol has a superb, nearly perfect body. perfect breasts even. you see her in all kinds of fetish gear too.

Just watched Benecio Del Toro's "Cronicas"...as always...he doesn't disappoint.

Definitely add this one to your queue.

Just watched Benecio Del Toro's "Cronicas"...as always...he doesn't disappoint.Definitely add this one to your queue.
Is this the movie from a couple of years ago with John Leguizamo? :thumbdown: Or are you talking about Che? Never heard of this

Just watched Benecio Del Toro's "Cronicas"...as always...he doesn't disappoint.Definitely add this one to your queue.
Is this the movie from a couple of years ago with John Leguizamo? :lmao: Or are you talking about Che? Never heard of this
Yea...few years ago...with Leguizamo...What...you didn't like it?
No, I thought it was good.I just dont remember Benicio being in that movie at all. And as I look at IMDB, doesnt look like he was in it :nerd:

Is this the movie from a couple of years ago with John Leguizamo? :lmao: Or are you talking about Che? Never heard of this
Yea...few years ago...with Leguizamo...What...you didn't like it?
No, I thought it was good.I just dont remember Benicio being in that movie at all. And as I look at IMDB, doesnt look like he was in it :nerd:
Ha...sorry...didn't realize I wrote Benicio...meant Guillermo.

2) Righteous Kill -- :thumbup: Hard to believe a movie with Al Pacino and DeNiro sucks this bad, but this one did. I don't even think I made it all the way to the end - I think I fell asleep.
I'll never get the hatred for this movie.. I Enjoyed it from start to finish :thumbup:

2) Righteous Kill -- :lol: Hard to believe a movie with Al Pacino and DeNiro sucks this bad, but this one did. I don't even think I made it all the way to the end - I think I fell asleep.
I'll never get the hatred for this movie.. I Enjoyed it from start to finish :shrug:
Same with me, same with me. And its not just people not enjoying it, most seem to think it was terrible or unwatchable. :thumbup:

Max Payne- Stay away from this steaming pile. Incredibily boring and dull. Still ticked I wasted money on renting it.

-1/5

2) Righteous Kill -- :thumbdown: Hard to believe a movie with Al Pacino and DeNiro sucks this bad, but this one did. I don't even think I made it all the way to the end - I think I fell asleep.
I'll never get the hatred for this movie.. I Enjoyed it from start to finish :shrug:
Same with me, same with me. And its not just people not enjoying it, most seem to think it was terrible or unwatchable. :kicksrock:
I'm with you guys. Maybe they had very high expectations.

The Rocker - pretty standard comedy that was good for a few laughs but was nothing special.

Priceless - French film with Audrey Tatou. She looks amazing in this, and it was probably an above-average romantic comedy.

Crash -

You're telling me this movie won best picture, or was at least nominated, right? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The scene in the beginning where James Spader is with the girl in the film room is the high point of the movie. Seriously, this completely reeked of a classic 'B' movie. The look and feel of the movie seemed very old. Absolutely horrible. Couples getting off on car crashes. Nice premise. How anyone can take the academy seriously after nominating this piece of trash?

0/5 stars

Crash -You're telling me this movie won best picture, or was at least nominated, right? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The scene in the beginning where James Spader is with the girl in the film room is the high point of the movie. Seriously, this completely reeked of a classic 'B' movie. The look and feel of the movie seemed very old. Absolutely horrible. Couples getting off on car crashes. Nice premise. How anyone can take the academy seriously after nominating this piece of trash?0/5 stars
I agree it may not be "best pic" worthy, but 0/5 is ridiculous.

Crash -

You're telling me this movie won best picture, or was at least nominated, right? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The scene in the beginning where James Spader is with the girl in the film room is the high point of the movie. Seriously, this completely reeked of a classic 'B' movie. The look and feel of the movie seemed very old. Absolutely horrible. Couples getting off on car crashes. Nice premise. How anyone can take the academy seriously after nominating this piece of trash?

0/5 stars
:lmao: that's not the same movie 'Crash' as the one that won Best Picture.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375679/

Crash -

0/5 stars
:lmao: that's not the same movie 'Crash' as the one that won Best Picture.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

:) :thumbup: :fishing:

Crash -You're telling me this movie won best picture, or was at least nominated, right? This is one of the worst movies I've ever seen. The scene in the beginning where James Spader is with the girl in the film room is the high point of the movie. Seriously, this completely reeked of a classic 'B' movie. The look and feel of the movie seemed very old. Absolutely horrible. Couples getting off on car crashes. Nice premise. How anyone can take the academy seriously after nominating this piece of trash?0/5 stars
Two things...1. Cronenberg, director.2. JG Ballard, source material.

Crash -

0/5 stars
:thumbup: that's not the same movie 'Crash' as the one that won Best Picture.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

:lmao: Thank you for this. The whole time I was watching that pile of crap I kept thinking to myself "How did this get nominated for anything other than a Razzy?" Good to know this isn't the critically acclaimed Crash.

Made in 1996, that sounds about right.

Thank you for this. The whole time I was watching that pile of crap I kept thinking to myself "How did this get nominated for anything other than a Razzy?" Good to know this isn't the critically acclaimed Crash.

Made in 1996, that sounds about right.
oh, that one is pretty weak by anyone outside of Los Angeles' standards. good chance you'll think it blows.

Crash -

0/5 stars
:stalker: that's not the same movie 'Crash' as the one that won Best Picture.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

Interesting that this happened, because I'd way rather see the Cronenberg Crash again than the newer Crash. Terrible.

Crash -

0/5 stars

Interesting that this happened, because I'd way rather see the Cronenberg Crash again than the newer Crash. Terrible.
:thumbup: Whats not to like about graphic sex and car crashes?

I have been on an 80's movie thread.

Broadcast News

A bit dated, but the performances were outstanding. I have always liked Albert Brooks a lot better in other people's movies than his own. He kills it in this role.

William Hurt as the mimbo was really good.

"Flop Sweat" is an iconic phrase.
:thumbup: That was an awesome movie.

Crash -

0/5 stars
:goodposting: that's not the same movie 'Crash' as the one that won Best Picture.http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0115964/

the funny thing is, i agree with everything he said minus the james spader sentence. was disappointed that he was talking about the wrong one.

Watched a couple on flights to New Orleans and back last weekend. Somehow I chose two movies that couldn't have been more different but loved them both.

The Shop on Main Street: 1966 Best Foreign Language Film Oscar winner from Czechoslovakia. This is shooting up the charts as one of the best movies I've ever experienced. A seemingly simple story of a Slovak carpenter who is appointed "Aryan controller" of a Jewish shop during the early 1940s. The humor in the first half of the movie is similar to the best of Fellini, but the film slowly and inevitably moves toward a tragic denouement. Probably the best film I've ever seen about the Jewish experience, or any experience, of the Holocaust. And the two lead performances, especially the male lead, are among the finest ever on film. This movie is at times funny, at times devastating, and at all times beautifully directed and acted. eleventy/5

Air Guitar Nation: Jeebus, this was one hilarious documentary. 4.5/5

Bottle Shock

Very enjoyable movie about the rise of Napa Valley wines vs. the world's renowned French wines in the 1970s. Alan Rickman is outstanding as the wine connosieur who puts together the contest between the Napa and French wines and who goes to Napa to find worthy competition for the French. Bill Pullman as the owner of a struggling Napa winery was pretty good, although a bit over the top in spots. Dennis Farina was great in his small role as Rickman's business neighbor in France who's always showing up for some free wine. The main leads opposite Rickman were a young guy (son of Pullman's character) and young girl (worked at Pullman's winery) who I've never heard of, but were decent; Each had their moments.

Watched an oldie but a goodie the other night...

JAWS - I was going in expecting to watch the first scene, switch away for a while, come back for the next munching, go away again...etc. I ended up watching it from start to finish, glued to my seat. Granted it's been 15 years probably since I've seen it...but it's much more intense and fast-paced than I remembered. And the effects are incredibly good for 1975. I don't think I've seem a better movie shark since.

Definitely top 100 movie.

Bangkok Dangerous: This movie could have been very good if it didn't have Nicholas Cage in it. I can't believe how horrible of an actor he has turned into. He is supposed to be playing a kick-### assassin yet he acts identical to every other one of his freakin roles. Just pathetic. There are a couple scenes when he is training his new pupil that are just painful and almost made me turn it off right then. Without Cage in it, I would have given the movie 3.5/5. With Cage, 1/5.
Saw this the other night. :no: Cage certainly didn't help the movie, but I think the script was lousy too. There were several scenes where I thought to myself, "Seriously? This guy's a professional hitman?"

mytagid = Math.floor( Math.random() * 100 );document.write("

Two glaring examples:

1. That stupid pop-up move. Way to be inconspicuous. Draw everyone's attention with a flurry of sudden movement then stand there for 5 minutes giving everyone a clear shot.

2. Sticking the rifle barrel out the window. Hundreds of cops keeping watch, and you're dangling your tool out the window while your pasty, white mug is up against the glass.*** SPOILER ALERT! Click this link to display the potential spoiler text in this box. ***");document.close();
Holy cow. Just watched this. This is one of the worst movies ever made. Wow. REALLY, really bad.

Watched a few films of note:

Dirty Pretty Things - Saw it before but decided to catch it again...it really is a solid film. Everyone should see this film.

Bangkok Dangerous (Cage Version) - Meh...almost worth a cheap $1 rental...that's about all I can give it as far as a rating.

The Secret Life of Bees - Got this one for my wife...was surprised how much I enjoyed it. Very well acted and enjoyable film. Definitely worthy of a rental.

The Last Mimzy - Not a bad movie for the family. An OK storyline that moved at a decent pace. 3/5

The Kingdom - I rented this due to reviews I read on here. Much better movie than I thought it would be. One of the better movies I rented this year, I really enjoyed it. 4.5/5

Amadeus - I have not seen this in a very long time. Good acting and a very good story. I don't know how accurate it is historically, but it is definitely worth a rental. 4/5

Sling Blade - Another enjoyable movie. Billy Bob did a great job. Hard to believe this is the same actor as was in Bad Santa. 3.75/5

Wanted - I was expecting a better movie than this from the reviews and trailer. I didn't think the male lead was very good in his role and the script was weak. Special effects were the one saving grace. 2/5

Two movies I couldn't make it through:

Steel City: I'm all in favor of slow-moving, dark dramas, but this one was too much even for me. 1.5/5

2 Days in Paris: Most annoying lead characters ever. Way too precious. Should have known to avoid something called a "quirky comedy". 0/5

Three movies better than those above:

Next of Kin and Family Viewing: Maybe not fair to lump them both together, but they were part of my ongoing series of "early Atom Egoyan" movies. Family Viewing is just as bizarre as Speaking Parts and again focuses on the use of videotape. Next of Kin was somewhat more interesting to me. Good for fans of Egoyan or David Lynch. I'm impressed by the performances Egoyan can get out of these actors. 3.5/5 for both.

The Counterfeiters: Last year's foreign language Academy Award winner. Fairly interesting Holocaust movie told from an interesting perspective, and it is very well-acted. Still, there are so many better movies about the holocaust that it is hard to see this one as much more than a trifle, and in many scenes I wasn't sure the filmmakers had enough focus on what they wanted to the movie to be. I bump it up to 4/5 on the basis of some very powerful scenes near the end of the movie.

saw "slumdog millionaire" with the wife last night. a crowd-pleasing film that has no business winning any awards. danny boyle likes his films kinetic. i could see the same visual language he explored with "sunshine" and "28 days later". the female lead is stunning.

saw "slumdog millionaire" with the wife last night. a crowd-pleasing film that has no business winning any awards. danny boyle likes his films kinetic. i could see the same visual language he explored with "sunshine" and "28 days later". the female lead is stunning.
Bless you, my child.

2 Days in Paris: Most annoying lead characters ever. Way too precious. Should have known to avoid something called a "quirky comedy". 0/5
I just recorded this on my DVR this week and I could not agree more. Awful. I watched 10 minutes and wanted to murder both characters.Another one I couldn't finish:

Waitress

I remember this movie received mixed reviews when it was released. And the tragic death of the writer/director made me want to watch the movie. Blech. I watched five minutes of this #### and that was enough.

Watching Waitress and 2 Days in Paris brings up an interesting point. It's been said many times that there are good movies that do not know how to end well. And that's true. But here we have two movies that don't even know how to begin.

It's hard to quantify why they suck so hard. But I think some directors are so enamored with their own project, that they assume we are going to feel the same INSTANTLY! Isn't Julie Delpy cute! Isn't Cheryl Hines' southern accent kitchy and home-spun? NO!!!!

I just recorded this on my DVR this week and I could not agree more. Awful. I watched 10 minutes and wanted to murder both characters.Another one I couldn't finish:

Waitress

I remember this movie received mixed reviews when it was released. And the tragic death of the writer/director made me want to watch the movie. Blech. I watched five minutes of this #### and that was enough.

Watching Waitress and 2 Days in Paris brings up an interesting point. It's been said many times that there are good movies that do not know how to end well. And that's true. But here we have two movies that don't even know how to begin.

It's hard to quantify why they suck so hard. But I think some directors are so enamored with their own project, that they assume we are going to feel the same INSTANTLY! Isn't Julie Delpy cute! Isn't Cheryl Hines' southern accent kitchy and home-spun? NO!!!!
There are not enough :confused: for this post. I absolutely hated Waitress and didn't make it through more than 1/2 hour of it. Same idea, too--I wanted to like it because of the backstory and also because I liked Shelley in some Hal Hartley films, but that cutesy, totally fake story with the cutesy, totally fake accents did me in. And I also loved Julie Delpy in Before Sunrise and Before Sunset and wanted to like 2 Days in Paris for that reason, too. Ugh. Absolutely terrible, wholly manipulative movies.

Bottle Shock

- The story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting that put Napa Valley wines vs. French wines in a blind test.

Fascinating subject matter, atrocious script and acting. Really, really bad. You could tell this script was rewritten like 7 times. There are a few scenes that serve no purpose, some lines that come out of nowhere, really trite romantic stuff... just horrible

Bottle Shock- The story of the 1976 Paris wine tasting that put Napa Valley wines vs. French wines in a blind test.Fascinating subject matter, atrocious script and acting. Really, really bad. You could tell this script was rewritten like 7 times. There are a few scenes that serve no purpose, some lines that come out of nowhere, really trite romantic stuff... just horrible
:removingfromqueue:

Users who are viewing this thread