What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Reminders to do simple things - your thoughts? (1 Viewer)

What is your reaction?

• i just do it

Votes: 15 60.0%
  • i refuse to do it

Votes: 1 4.0%
  • depends on who is reminding me

Votes: 9 36.0%

• Total voters

mr. furley

Footballguy
curious about how people handle being reminded to do things that they already know need to be done

does the reaction vary based on task? based on who is doing the reminding?

Example, you've got a habit of leaving the fridge door open and walking away. Your roommate/friend/wife/husband/relative says "hey, don't forget to shut the fridge door".

Do you: 

1) shut the door and think nothing of it

2) refuse to shut the door because nobody ####### tells you what to do

3) depends, if it's your brother, your mother, or one of your raggedy kids

curious about how people handle being reminded to do things that they already know need to be done

Example, you've got a habit of leaving the fridge door open and walking away. Your roommate/friend/wife/husband/relative says "hey, don't forget to shut the fridge door".

Do you: 

Not sure what to say about this. In the example, you already know...but are not doing it? A reminder seems warranted to me. 

maybe a better example is something universal, not a preference that isn't just forgetting.

like locking car doors after you leave. i'd guess 95% of people do this.. exceptions for people who live way out that leave their keys in the ignition when they walk away from the car.

do you mind being reminded to lock the car?  do you refuse to lock the doors if someone reminds you?

do you remind others to lock the car?

I've been given my son a bath (and now a shower) at night for years. Usually I do it around 730pm. Every once in awhile I get busy and have to do it later. Inevitably my wife will ask "are you giving him a shower?" Pisses me off

Do you: 

#1, are you a woman?  If you didn’t shut the door, why would you whine about someone telling you to shut the door?  I don’t even understand the issue?  

Are you forgetting these things purposefully to assert dominance?  

Last edited by a moderator:

Do you: 

Don't forget to periodically read and reply to this thread.

My Mom will make a sandwich or something on the island. Bread, mayo and cheese left open until she’s finished eating. Drives me insane

#1, are you a woman?  If you didn’t shut the door, why would you whine about someone telling you to shut the door?  I don’t even understand the issue?  

Are you forgetting these things purposefully to assert dominance?  
i get it now

Do you: 

4) PM shuke

maybe a better example is something universal, not a preference that isn't just forgetting.

like locking car doors after you leave. i'd guess 95% of people do this.. exceptions for people who live way out that leave their keys in the ignition when they walk away from the car.

do you mind being reminded to lock the car?  do you refuse to lock the doors if someone reminds you?

do you remind others to lock the car?
My wife is extremely paranoid and asks constantly at night if I locked the doors. Like, every night.  I never forget because I know it’s important to her, but I still get asked every night. If she hasn’t asked yet, I’m getting woken up at 3am when she’s feeding the baby to ask. Some days I just want to be like go look at the door and see if it’s locked????

My wife is extremely paranoid and asks constantly at night if I locked the doors. Like, every night.  I never forget because I know it’s important to her, but I still get asked every night. If she hasn’t asked yet, I’m getting woken up at 3am when she’s feeding the baby to ask. Some days I just want to be like go look at the door and see if it’s locked????
Install the Kwikset locks that auto-lock after 30 seconds or the ones that connect up to Zwave and have a SmartThings hub lock them automatically every night and send her a message they are locked when it happens. And an app she can go check them on.  Problem solved. More sleep for cheese.

Install the Kwikset locks that auto-lock after 30 seconds or the ones that connect up to Zwave and have a SmartThings hub lock them automatically every night and send her a message they are locked when it happens. And an app she can go check them on.  Problem solved. More sleep for cheese.
I’ll check that out. Thanks!

i get it now
Well, I’m not trying to be dismissive (ok maybe a little), but what are you wanting to happen in this situation?  The door is just left open and no one says anything?  If the comment was “hey moron, shut the door” then I’d probably be irked, but the way it’s laid out is pretty innocuous. 

Well, I’m not trying to be dismissive (ok maybe a little), but what are you wanting to happen in this situation?  The door is just left open and no one says anything?  If the comment was “hey moron, shut the door” then I’d probably be irked, but the way it’s laid out is pretty innocuous. 
Maybe I misread it but I think he’s saying he’s still there and plans to close it.  

Maybe I misread it but I think he’s saying he’s still there and plans to close it.  
I guess I still feel the same way if it’s a habit.  If it’s something that you’ve done once or twice, then yeah I get it. If it’s something that’s continually done, then I guess at that point it’s earned. With time the reminders should be undone. 

For instance, I used to just put a glass in the sink. It bothered my wife to no end because her family would do that growing up and it just led to a sink full of dishes. I got a few reminders, I adjusted, haven’t heard a peep in years. 

If you're actually forgetting to do it, just do it.
This - If I legitimately forget, then I'll just do it.

Now if I need to do something (not like close the fridge door, but let's say...call for a doctor's appointment), and my wife keeps prodding me to do it, what was normally a simple chore develops a stigma around it, and I put it off for longer and longer.

I ASK people to remind me to do stuff.  A.D.D. + High School Football concussions = Brain clean slate every morning.  I really don't remember much anymore. 

The good news is I am in a great mood most of the time.  Bad news is I go looking for the Yoga pants thread still on some mornings before I remember what Joe did to us.

When I wake up most days, I can't remember what I did the day before.  I'm 43 and hope it doesn't get much worse as I get older.

it's not me

i'm not the forgetful one or the reminder

i'm the guy who locks the house doors every night but still gets reminded to lock the house doors every night who doesn't freak out about it.

not the guy who usually locks the door at night, unless someone reminds them, who then refuses to lock the doors because nobody tells furley what to do.

it's not me

i'm not the forgetful one or the reminder

i'm the guy who locks the house doors every night but still gets reminded to lock the house doors every night who doesn't freak out about it.

not the guy who usually locks the door at night, unless someone reminds them, who then refuses to lock the doors because nobody tells furley what to do.
I don't like your tone right now.

Users who are viewing this thread