What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Republican Officials In New Mexico County Refuse To Certify Election Results (1 Viewer)

Amused to Death

Footballguy
Trump's legacy.

Republican Officials In New Mexico County Refuse To Certify Election Results—And State Officials Want A Criminal Probe
Republican officials in a rural New Mexico county refused to certify their primary election results this week due to vague concerns about ballot boxes and voting machines, echoing former President Donald Trump's conspiracy theories about the 2020 election and setting up a showdown with state authorities.

KEY FACTS

• New Mexico held its primaries last week for a gubernatorial election and some local races, but commissioners in Otero County—home to about 68,000 people—voted 3-0 against certifying the results Monday, four days after the county commission also voted to demand a hand recount, restrict ballot drop boxes and stop using voting machines made by Dominion Voting Systems.
  • In an interview with Forbes, Commissioner Couy Griffin didn’t offer any specific evidence of voter fraud during last week’s primary, but members of the county commission have cited miscellaneous “concerns” about Dominion voting machines: “In my heart, I don’t know if it is right,” Commissioner Vickie Marquardt said in Monday’s meeting.
  • There’s no proof of widespread voting machine-based fraud, but beyond that, Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver’s office now says the county is breaking state election law by refusing to certify results, demanding a recount that it has no power to order and threatening to clash with state voting machine and vote dropbox rules.
  • Oliver’s spokesperson Alex Curtas told Forbes the Otero County commission is “going rogue,” noting the county clerk says she doesn’t have legal authority to do a recount.
  • In a letter Thursday, Oliver asked the Attorney General’s office to open a “prompt investigation” into Otero County, arguing the commissioners’ votes may “implicate civil and criminal violations of law.”
  • Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement: “The Commission must comply with the rule of law or we will take legal action.”

SURPRISING FACT

In March, Griffin—who founded a group called Cowboys for Trump—was convicted of trespassing on Capitol grounds during the January 6 riot. He faces a sentencing hearing Friday.

More in the link

Joe Schmo said:
Replacing Brad Raffensperger with Couy Griffin creates the nightmare scenario set up by Trump's authoritarian lust. It is happening right before our eyes.  
No one has done more damage to our election integrity than Donald Trump and his sycophants. Just wait till 2024 when more of his ilk are in positions to discard unfavorable outcomes, like what's happening in this story.

The 2020 election and its aftermath really sucked, because I never expected to see the peaceful transfer of power break down in my lifetime.  

The next couple of elections are more ominous because at this point, nobody can say that they haven't been put on notice.  Republicans are being pretty open about their willingness to set aside election outcomes that don't go their way, and people are voting for them anyhow.  We're approaching one of those "paradox of democracy" moments where we have to ask what happens if a majority votes to dispense with majority rule from now on.  This used to be the kind of thing that we talked about in the context of the Arab spring during the W years, but it's the US now.

The 2020 election and its aftermath really sucked, because I never expected to see the peaceful transfer of power break down in my lifetime.  

The next couple of elections are more ominous because at this point, nobody can say that they haven't been put on notice.  Republicans are being pretty open about their willingness to set aside election outcomes that don't go their way, and people are voting for them anyhow.  We're approaching one of those "paradox of democracy" moments where we have to ask what happens if a majority votes to dispense with majority rule from now on.  This used to be the kind of thing that we talked about in the context of the Arab spring during the W years, but it's the US now.
This echos what Pence's advisor said yesterday. It's scary stuff.

Which is exactly why the J6 hearings are important. We can't just shrug our shoulders and ignore the fact that a losing president openly called for the VP to violate the Constitution. The president has sworn to uphold it - he can't openly call to violate it.

And I don't care if the voting public has checked out.

Amused to Death said:
Trump's legacy.

Republican Officials In New Mexico County Refuse To Certify Election Results—And State Officials Want A Criminal Probe
Republican officials in a rural New Mexico county refused to certify their primary election results this week due to vague concerns about ballot boxes and voting machines, echoing former President Donald Trump's conspiracy theories about the 2020 election and setting up a showdown with state authorities.

KEY FACTS

• New Mexico held its primaries last week for a gubernatorial election and some local races, but commissioners in Otero County—home to about 68,000 people—voted 3-0 against certifying the results Monday, four days after the county commission also voted to demand a hand recount, restrict ballot drop boxes and stop using voting machines made by Dominion Voting Systems.
  • In an interview with Forbes, Commissioner Couy Griffin didn’t offer any specific evidence of voter fraud during last week’s primary, but members of the county commission have cited miscellaneous “concerns” about Dominion voting machines: “In my heart, I don’t know if it is right,” Commissioner Vickie Marquardt said in Monday’s meeting.
  • There’s no proof of widespread voting machine-based fraud, but beyond that, Secretary of State Maggie Toulouse Oliver’s office now says the county is breaking state election law by refusing to certify results, demanding a recount that it has no power to order and threatening to clash with state voting machine and vote dropbox rules.
  • Oliver’s spokesperson Alex Curtas told Forbes the Otero County commission is “going rogue,” noting the county clerk says she doesn’t have legal authority to do a recount.
  • In a letter Thursday, Oliver asked the Attorney General’s office to open a “prompt investigation” into Otero County, arguing the commissioners’ votes may “implicate civil and criminal violations of law.”
  • Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement: “The Commission must comply with the rule of law or we will take legal action.”

SURPRISING FACT

In March, Griffin—who founded a group called Cowboys for Trump—was convicted of trespassing on Capitol grounds during the January 6 riot. He faces a sentencing hearing Friday.

More in the link

Do people not realize that this isn't democracy when this stuff happens?

Amused to Death said:
For the record, I am opposed to this.

Which is exactly why the J6 hearings are important. We can't just shrug our shoulders and ignore the fact that a losing president openly called for the VP to violate the Constitution. The president has sworn to uphold it - he can't openly call to violate it.

It looks like a large % of the population can, and will, ignore this. It doesn't even need to be a majority with gerrymndering and the nature of the US Senate. The only thing that seemed to bother the vast majority of Team Red about J6 is that it didn't work. Next time it probably will. 

It looks like a large % of the population can, and will, ignore this. It doesn't even need to be a majority with gerrymndering and the nature of the US Senate. The only thing that seemed to bother the vast majority of Team Red about J6 is that it didn't work. Next time it probably will. 
This is the fear, right? Yes Trump failed. But we can't let him have another chance. The first attempt just showed where their weaknesses were. Now they're putting their people in charge of elections. Especially if it goes unchecked.

This is the fear, right? Yes Trump failed. But we can't let him have another chance. The first attempt just showed where their weaknesses were. Now they're putting their people in charge of elections. Especially if it goes unchecked.

It's not just Trump.  I still wonder what would have happened if Pence actually had gone along with the Eastman plan. Who was going to stop them?  

It's not just Trump.  I still wonder what would have happened if Pence actually had gone along with the Eastman plan. Who was going to stop them?  
Yes, you're correct it is not just Trump as this story shows. But they are following his blueprint. If left unchecked, it will only get worse.

Meh.  This is why you have checks and balances.  They worked here.  Punish the people that entered the building and move on.

Meh.  This is why you have checks and balances.  They worked here.  Punish the people that entered the building and move on.
They only worked on the 2020 election because Pence refused to go along. Now in this case (NM) there are people who are holding up the certification because the wrong candidate won. Imagine if a swing state has people willing to do what Trump wanted. What if Rasperberger did what Trump wanted and decertified the GA ballots?

And why should a president who tried to force people to violate the Constitution not face consequences? Just shrug our collective shoulders and hope the system works next time? Because if left unchecked, there will be a next time. We already have a "next time".

One out of 33 counties "going rogue" and representing only 3% of the state's population is a "new normal?"

Gee. Overreact much?
Maybe its not the new normal (yet), but how many times do we need to see this until its a problem? We're up to two. Shouldn't the people involved face consequences?

Maybe its not the new normal (yet), but how many times do we need to see this until its a problem? We're up to two. Shouldn't the people involved face consequences?
Did you even read your own article?

Attorney General Hector Balderas said in a statement: “The Commission must comply with the rule of law or we will take legal action.

I'm sorry, but this is garbage. There is no investigation needed when the commissioners who failed to certify did so not because of any evidence of fraud, but because “In my heart, I don’t know if it is right,” 
What's garbage is you believing you have enough information to convict based on a second-hand snippet from a magazine interview.

What's garbage is you believing you have enough information to convict based on a second-hand snippet from a magazine interview.
Why do we need to wait when they have already said they have nothing other than "feelings"? And they have no authority to do what they're doing? Isn't that enough to say this is wrong?

This is the Donald Trump playbook, no evidence but claim fraud and hold up elections.

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do we need to wait when they have already said they have nothing other than "feelings"? And they have no authority to do what they're doing? Isn't that enough to say this is wrong?
Gee. I dunno. Maybe because that is due process in a judicial matter?

Didn't you libs learn anything from Biden and Harris plastering the air waves with wrecklessly premature lynching comments in the Jussie Smollett case?

Didn't you libs learn anything from Biden and Harris plastering the air waves with wrecklessly premature lynching comments in the Jussie Smollett case?
“In my heart, I don’t know if it is right,” 

Maybe we should require more than this to hold up our elections. Just my opinion.

I am not trying to convict anyone. I am trying to get people to stop lying about election fraud.
Yet another bizarre response.

Don't you think that if the commissioners are convicted of a civil/criminal offenses, then that would serve as a deterrent to others?

Yet another bizarre response.

Don't you think that if the commissioners are convicted of a civil/criminal offenses, then that would serve as a deterrent to others?
They aren't going to be convicted of a criminal offense. They will relent and then we will have this same scenario in a few months with another republican led coalition crying voter fraud with no evidence. Round and round we go.

They aren't going to be convicted of a criminal offense. They will relent and then we will have this same scenario in a few months with another republican led coalition crying voter fraud with no evidence. Round and round we go.
It's a shame you libs aren't as prescient about inflation and the economy as you seem to be about judicial matters.

It's a shame you libs aren't as prescient about inflation and the economy as you seem to be about judicial matters.
Inflation and the economy have nothing to do with this topic. Why the need to deflect?

It is telling that you can't just come out and say "yea, unless they offer evidence of fraud, they should certify"

Inflation and the economy have nothing to do with this topic. Why the need to deflect?

It is telling that you can't just come out and say "yea, unless they offer evidence of fraud, they should certify"
Thank you for all the insults. Carry on.

New Mexico Election Crisis Intensifies as Deadline Looms

By SUSAN MONTOYA BRYAN and MORGAN LEE, Associated Press

ALBUQUERQUE, N.M. (AP) — A standoff between a Republican-dominated county commission and New Mexico's Democratic secretary of state over the commission's conspiracy-fueled refusal to certify election results comes to a head Friday, the state's certification deadline.

The showdown is providing a stark example of the chaos that election experts have warned about as those who promote the lie that former President Donald Trump was cheated out of reelection seek to populate election offices across the country and the usually low-profile boards that certify the results.

The governing commission in Otero County refused to certify the local results of the state’s June 7 primary because of unspecified concerns with the equipment, even though it has identified no problems with the Dominion systems used by the county to tally paper ballots.

New Mexico’s top prosecutor told the commission to follow an order from the state Supreme Court to certify the results. Attorney General Hector Balderas said the Otero County commission in southern New Mexico "must comply with the rule of law or we will take legal action.”

The secretary of state’s office had asked the attorney general to investigate the commission for possible violations of state election and government ethics laws, which can be felonies if the action is willful and result in removal from office.

At least one of the three county commissioners was unfazed. Commissioner Couy Griffin told CNN that he was not planning to vote for certification.

“Why have a commission if we just get overridden by the court system?” he said.

It was not immediately clear what would happen next if the county refuses to certify its results, a typically ministerial duty but one that has drawn the spotlight since Trump tried to pressure some certification boards in the aftermath of the 2020 presidential election.

New Mexico's primary ballot included races at all levels — including Congress, governor, attorney general and a long list of local offices. Those races won’t be official until all counties are certified, which leaves candidates and their campaigns in limbo.

The developments can be traced to far-right conspiracy theories over voting machines that have spread across the country over the past two years. Various Trump allies have claimed that Dominion voting systems had somehow been manipulated as part of an elaborate scheme to steal the election, which President Joe Biden won.

Yeah guys...

Do you even consider Jussie Smollet when discussing voter Fraud??

Well, Maybe you should...

New Mexico’s top prosecutor told the commission to follow an order from the state Supreme Court to certify the results.

And yet they refuse because...feelings.
I assume there is a legal remedy correct?

I hope every state is looking at their election laws and making sure there is. 

I'll see your drag queen, and raise you one Hunter Biden laptop...
Please don't change the subject when we're trying to talk about Obama's Kenyan birth certificate.  Or John Kerry's purple heart.  Or... or... or...

Turtles all the way down.

Users who are viewing this thread