What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

RIP Wikkidpissah (1 Viewer)

But it's not just praise.  It unites the rest of us- gives us a common thread- weaves us into a community.
Oh, please don't misunderstand or confuse my statement - I think it would be wonderful and I wish wikkid could have heard the praise. I'm just guessing (perhaps errantly) that he wouldn't have wanted us to all spend our time that way but instead unite regarding something else. 

Looking back at PMs, I had forgotten one where he mentioned a couple of heart attacks and some spinal issues, and problems getting coverage for it. While he expressed his frustration privately (not whining), Dale dealt with all of that #### without it slowing or affecting how he dealt with people here...stayed consistent to his credo and walked the walk supporting and helping people in here.

Was Wikkid the poster who once said he worked in Boston radio in the 1970s?

I don't think we ever had any direct interactions, but if so, I would have loved to have asked him about that ... and any other Boston connections he might have had.

RIP to a real gem.

I'm just guessing (perhaps errantly) that he wouldn't have wanted us to all spend our time that way but instead unite regarding something else. 
Ah, but he wouldn't get to choose that.  And it might have turned into a roast.  I suspect fun would be had by all.

Was Wikkid the poster who once said he worked in Boston radio in the 1970s?

I don't think we ever had any direct interactions, but if so, I would have loved to have asked him about that ... and any other Boston connections he might have had.

RIP to a real gem.
Yes, something to do with New England radio, likely Boston, but he was never concrete on the issue in my reading. I got the feeling he was either an AM or a left-of-the-dial guy for a brief time. Nobody really knows how much or how serious his exposure was, though I think that exposure, like many exposures, meant the world to him in his later years. 

Ah, but he wouldn't get to choose that.  And it might have turned into a roast.  I suspect fun would be had by all.
Honestly that's not a bad idea. It seems a little cheesy, but I'd be on board with like an annual or bi-annual let's celebrate longtime poster X thing. Obviously it would have been great to do with wikkid and we missed that chance. 

I've been hanging back just reading the tributes because at the same time I've been trying to explain to my wife my not imaginary sorrow for a stranger on our magical football bored...

It's hard to explain but almost every one of his posts I came across had some little gem that I could apply in my life somehow and it's really hard to put into words the how or why.  

When my time comes I hope my wife remembers to look on my phone and post something here but I would never expect the outpouring of rememberence such as wickkd is getting or will get.  Says a thing or 2 about how i/we should choose to spend the rest of our days... he genuinely seemed interested in the betterment of everyone as a person.

RIP.

His posting from May in the Getting old, 55+ thread. RIP.

>>the only thing that goes @ 55 is that, sure as determination turns to doubt @ 35 (because we stop producing growth hormone), doubt turns to dread right then. i wasnt gonna say nuthin' - cuz i aint about helpin' folks hedge - but i see so many of you on the cusp.

NOW HEAR THIS, 53-55yos. if you got one big life change in you, do it now. you simply wont if you wait much longer. i've yet to identify the chemistry responsible for this but, if you ever gonna believe weird ol' wikkid on anything, go with me on this. 55 is the last number that matters. you been warned...<<
I did it.  Got divorced.  He had nothing to do with it, but I agree with his thought.  I was 55.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know what to say.  As everyone has already said, he was quick with a positive word and was a gifted storyteller.

RIP Wikkid

His posting from May in the Getting old, 55+ thread. RIP.

>>the only thing that goes @ 55 is that, sure as determination turns to doubt @ 35 (because we stop producing growth hormone), doubt turns to dread right then. i wasnt gonna say nuthin' - cuz i aint about helpin' folks hedge - but i see so many of you on the cusp.

NOW HEAR THIS, 53-55yos. if you got one big life change in you, do it now. you simply wont if you wait much longer. i've yet to identify the chemistry responsible for this but, if you ever gonna believe weird ol' wikkid on anything, go with me on this. 55 is the last number that matters. you been warned...<<

I never went in that thread or saw this post before the other day, but I am starting a new job next week. I'm 54.  :oldunsure:

Oh my goodness. I didn't see this until now.  I feel like he was the boards great therapy ambassador, with such a way for words.  I shared a story of personal tragedy where a family member was killed in a mistaken identity situation.  He had the nicest things to say and I accidentally lost it in a pm purge.  Now reading the notes here I see this was his schtick. For lack of a better word.  

Rest in peace.  The world needs way way more people like him. 

rip you old bird. You will be missed something fierce.
Funny, I said something similar in my head. 

You big dumb ole bird. Why couldn't you have given us warning so we didn't take you for granted?

But God bless you that you didn't die in pain, but in your sleep. You deserved that after Mary's passing. I suppose that always comforts the living, doesn't it? To watch their own go suddenly and pain free to make up for the suddenness of it. 

Gosh darn, and that's not autocorrect. We're gonna miss you like you lived. Hugely. 

This blows. I never would have expected this to hit me like it has. I didn't know him as well as most here, but we had an unspoken kinship from our mutual dislike of the forum's moderation.

We were lucky that he always came back after his threats to leave, including his participation in the charity drafts this past December. I'll never forget reading his first pick and the requisite story and thinking, 'ah ####, I don't stand a chance of winning this thing.'

I plodded along for  the remaining drafts and it wasn't until the last one that I placed in the top 3. He was kind to mention that he was rooting for me and was happy to see I placed. It was a good feeling to have the support of someone like him. 

He left us too soon. Rest in peace, GB. 

wish we could find a way to do these kind of tributes before we lose people. Wikki was always a good dude, this one sincerely hurts. glad somebody bumped that other thread, will definitely be missed
I’ve been thinking about this post a lot the last couple of days. For some reason it resonated with me. Maybe it’s as simple as being a little bit more kind to people? Seeing the good in each person and softly acknowledging it once in a while?  It doesn’t have to be overly obsequious or corny.  I don’t know - food for thought.

Just one of the most unique voices I've come across, not just on this forum, in life. Loved reading his posts, even if as a lesser intellect I sometimes had to read them multiple times to glean the true meaning. Such a colorful way of expressing himself, and the stories he brought to life were incredible. A true wordsmith who illuminated anyone he came in contact with. 

Was finally able to sit down and read both threads. Amazing memories and tributes from so many people. As someone who tends to lead a Point A -> Point B life, I always found Wikkid's stories and prose to be both completely foreign and supremely engaging - meandering (in the best possible way) testaments to a life of learning, adventure, loss, and love. RIP.

So I have reread this thread a couple times this weekend hoping I would be able to put it in perspective and maybe post something enlightening. Then I took today off to celebrate the 4th with friends and family and it came to me. 

Tonight as I sat with my friends and family I watched my daughter running around playing with new friends and watching fireworks and I leaned in and hugged my husband and thanked him for setting it all up and I told him " This was a great day and one we would remember forever.". He looked back at me and said " I hope not. I hope we have so many more memories together that this one pales in comparison and never crosses your mind again". I looked at him and just started crying, not just because it was so sweet, but it made me think of Wikka and how I believe he would have looked at the situation the same way. It made me think about how much he affected our lives even for someone like me who never met him. 

I guess I am trying to say thanks to Dale. I wish I would have understood the affect you had before you left us. 

Users who are viewing this thread