What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

** Road To The 2018 Triple Crown - 5/10: Justy Back On (The) Track, Ruis Will Ship Bolty/Duck The Rain ** (2 Viewers)

if y'all can bag the Divas and Dudes hat contest the day won't be a total loss  :thumbup:

amazing card tomorrow, hope you make it and cash some tix
Always Dreaming and Irish War Cry in the 8th is going to cause me to drop the "Honey, keep looking at panties, I'm going to go get a snack (read:beer) - I'll text you in about 20 minutes and meet back up with you" line.  Guaranteed.

Do you (or anyone here) know exactly how the Rainbow 6 works?  This could be a big selling point I could use for the wife, if she thinks she has a shot at $4.6M, that will help get her firmly on board.  Do you have to pick 6 specific races or can you use any 6?  Can you play all 14 races in an attempt to hit 6 or can you play 6 races only, etc?  I've never been a huge pick 3/pick 4 guy, but IIRC, they usually have specific races you have to use (races 2-5, etc.) but it doesn't appear that's the case with the Rainbow 6.  Anyone know how that all plays out?
My Linky 

for those of us who hasnt otb's streaming capacities & cant stop for Primanti's on the way, NBCSN is broadcasting the Fla Derby @ 6pm (and the Dubai World Cup - i dunno if the UAE Derby is covered too - earlier @ 12:30) 
Yeah, I think the Dubai world Cup is at 12:50 ET.  They're simulcasting at Gulfstream, so I hope to get there early enough to plunk a few jermajesties down on that race before it goes off.  I'll never make it by 9:30.

Thanks.  OK, so from this, it looks like there are 6 specific races you have to play, but the frigging Gulfstream website doesn't tell you which 6.  Safe to assume it's 9-14?
Never mind, just found it on the race 9 wagers... it is 9-14.  Thanks OTB.

:thumbup:

six Shakes races, lotta quality horses in those fields ... very difficult sequence to trust any singles on 
My wife will play 1-1-1-1-1-5 for $1 based on the horses' names and be happy.  She'll have roughly a million to one shot and will spend the bulk of my money at the mall.  I guess I might as well take a stab at it too, looks like it's an "everything must go" situation, so the whole ~$5M (assuming no one hits today) will be up for grabs.

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife will play 1-1-1-1-1-5 for $1 based on the horses' names and be happy.  She'll have roughly a million to one shot and will spend the bulk of my money at the mall.  I guess I might as well take a stab at it too, looks like it's an "everything must go" situation, so the whole ~$5M (assuming no one hits today) will be up for grabs.
potential of 25mil up in that mutha when it's all said and done 

potential of 25mil up in that mutha when it's all said and done 
Yeah, I'll take a shot. Feels like you have about as much of a chance of winning that type of dough as you do of hitting the lottery. With as many people as they'll have playing it, if a lot of favorites come in, you'll be splitting the pot with 58 other people if you play chalk. You almost have to take several longshots and hope for a miracle if you really want to grab a "jackpot." Still, I'd be perfectly happy to walk with a few hundred grand. :lol:

Yeah, I'll take a shot. Feels like you have about as much of a chance of winning that type of dough as you do of hitting the lottery. With as many people as they'll have playing it, if a lot of favorites come in, you'll be splitting the pot with 58 other people if you play chalk. You almost have to take several longshots and hope for a miracle if you really want to grab a "jackpot." Still, I'd be perfectly happy to walk with a few hundred grand. :lol:
 in that article i linked to earlier ... the first five legs bought home nothing longer than the third choice on the tote board - it was the sixth and final race in the sequence that saw the 12th (outta 12) come in at 34/1 to really eff things up. 

sure the big syndicate players can spread like demons, but taking a healthy stab on that .20 wager is definitely worth it. 

in that article i linked to earlier ... the first five legs bought home nothing longer than the third choice on the tote board - it was the sixth and final race in the sequence that saw the 12th (outta 12) come in at 34/1 to really eff things up. 

sure the big syndicate players can spread like demons, but taking a healthy stab on that .20 wager is definitely worth it. 
I'll definitely do it.  Probably just play 2 horses per race and pick some healthy longshots and hope for a miracle.  I'll gladly throw away $13 for a shot at a million.

Florida Derby

in case anyone forgot, Audible in the Holy Bull   :thumbup:

what's most impressive is the size and glide of this cat - man, he's a friggin' load out there, and big boy can flat out motor.  he flicked Free Drop Billy off like a gnat, and demolished that field of Derby hopefuls.  most audacious run prep yet - a deserving favorite today. does lose Javi, as he's in Dubai, hopefully booting home my huge Reride wager in the UAE Derby - so it's back to Johnny V, who rode him in his first two career starts. coming from the 8 hole, so i think they rate off the early class speed well to the inside ... would expect a huge move at the 1/2, and that could be all she wrote if he's right.  extra distance today, but had plenty to spare last outing.

Promises Fulfilled in the F.o.Y.  as far as "coming outta nowhere" and dazzling, this ranks at the top. sucks getting those outside posts at Gulfstream, due to the quick first turn, but this colt zoomed out the 10 hole and never looked back.  will draw a much more favorable #4 post today, expect him to be on the engine.  

also worth looking at Strike Power and Storm Runner in that race ... Storm Runner makes a move, gets checked, which opened the door for SP to exert the outside pressure - dunno how much wind was taken outta SR on the check, but he definitely wilted fast.  he will once again be bustin' out the 5 hole this afternoon, a real wildcard - don't like to see the cue put in the rack last race when things got tight, but he is capable of disrupting the field here ...  Strike Power breaks from the 1 post - he will be the early controlling speed, no question - they rated him a tad in the F.o.Y., but i think he's sent balls out for this one.  may be PF's day to rate.

so we can definitely expect an honest, quick early pace ... and a horse i'm keen on today will benefit greatly - Catholic Boy.

drew midpack, so can sit off the early speed, keeping well within striking distance ... also worth noting that Irad Ortiz jumps off PF to take the mount on CB for today.   now, last time out, he floated outside most of the way, then ceded in a stretch battle with Flameaway in the Sam Davis ... matter of fact, looked like Vino Rosso would've easily passed him with another furlong to go ... not the most inspiring ...

but i like the work he just drilled (48.4 at 4f) in prep ... draws Ortiz, who is on fire down there, and i think the hotter pace today plays very well into his strengths - will only be his third start on dirt, there's room for improvement and moving forward, think he gets it right in this one - second off the Remsen layoff, so he has won at this distance ... if the favorite takes a step back, this is who i'm counting on.

Hofburg is as much a wildcard as Storm Runner - aced his route debut here earlier this month, and is taking a huge step up in class ... but a pace collapse could see him challenging late, a very intriguing cat with Junior Ortiz in the irons, drilled a better prep work than Catholic Boy ... we've discussed Mississippi up in here for a couple months, and he finally makes his stakes debut - Casse doesn't run 'em unless they're primed - blinkers go on today, and we saw how much that helped Noble Indy (who barely nosed Mississppi back in January). 

of course, this is all gibberish if Audible just turns on the jets and make a travishmockery of this mutha ... but i'm gonna take a stand here with the #6.

UAE Derby Post from earlier this week.

oh, and, while we're here - GRONK SMASH BURRADON!! GRONK MAKE KENTUCKY DERBY!!  

Mendlessohn walks home in track record time in the UAE Derby, clear by close to 20 lengths

Reride closed nicely for third, but, man - the winner was awesome - $3.000.000 son of Scat Daddy flat out ####### BEASTED.

I can’t believe that run, curious to see what his odds look like on Derby Day. Literally no chance I'll be able to forget that race when building tickets. 
his BC Juvey Turf was none too shabby, either ... as i mentioned earlier about him, the class in Kentucky will not overwhelm. 

lotta familiar names up in that field - Catholic Boy (Remsen), Flameaway (Davis), My Boy Jack (Southwest) have all flattered the turf to dirt angle, with perhaps more to come today from CB, and next week from Flamey in the Bluegrass at Keeneland. 

still don't like that ship, but nice to see another element added to the spectacle. much better season than last -
ship,shmip, this cat gotta be reckoned with  - that incredible run today was the best we'll see on the trail, if not all year in Stakes company ... made Audible's Holy Bull look like a foto-finish ... still blown away by the spectacle i just saw this morning   :shock:

:excited:

ETA: a few records have fallen there today, track is playing souped up - reminds me of how Gulfstream used to be ...

Unless Mendlessohn does a superhorse TC thang, Catholic Boy will win the Belmont. The fractions up front have been so ez on the Trail so far, he's had nothing to run at

i'll be using Catholic Boy as my key, and perhaps a win bet if he drifts over 7/2

will construct rest of tickets once i get a feel for how the track is playing out

biggest question, though, is did @Evilgrin 72 make it to Hallandale? 

:popcorn:
I’m leaving now. This place is mobbed! Got plans tonight, so I couldn’t stay until the 14th. Lost 400. I’ll stick to the dogs....

Unless Mendlessohn does a superhorse TC thang, Catholic Boy will win the Belmont. The fractions up front have been so ez on the Trail so far, he's had nothing to run at
he's gotta answer that question today ... think Strike and Promises hustle a sub :47, then we get Audible up in that mix, as well ... it should be hot pace, JShare reports fast track - just what the Catlick needs 

Promises Fulfilled getting slapped in the mofo mush - 8/1 as we approach post time ... btw, "Gonna Fly Now" (Rocky Theme) is the call to post

but that ####### bugler butchered that ####   :unsure:

so we got the hothothot fractions, but Catholic Boy was on the whip early.  back to the turf, he'll do well.

as expected, Audible moved at the half, and ... ovah.

more impressive than the Holy Bull, and, considering the field class, right up Mendelssohn's ###.

much like Always Dreaming last year, this cat is not the greatest morning horse - but i can't see how this one doesn't sit as KD favorite, pending Bolt/McKinzie next week.   Bolt  can really slam it with another sparkler off the layoff, but this was some epic #### from Audible 

so we got the hothothot fractions, but Catholic Boy was on the whip early.  back to the turf, he'll do well.

more impressive than the Holy Bull, and, considering the field class, right up Mendelssohn's ###.

much like Always Dreaming last year, this cat is not the greatest morning horse - but i can't see how this one doesn't sit as KD favorite, pending Bolt/McKinzie next week.   Bolt  can really slam it with another sparkler off the layoff, but this was some epic #### from Audible 
ya, there were a few rushups - i'm guessing because these aniscules never seen a real pace, nm a false one - & it flattened a few guys out, but Audible was purely GB, as we say in the music biz.

Florida Derby  -  speaks for itself, suicidal early fractions cooked most of 'em -  Hofburg ran a nice one in the wake of Audible's push home. the winner got the perfect setup, cruised until it collapsed, then the class won out down the stretch ... simple enough.

a full two seconds behind Always Dreaming effort last year, 

Strike Power/Promises Fulfilled will be dominating sprints moving forward, though the latter is on his way to KD - easy toss, expect more of this at Churchill, cat is not gonna rate anytime soon, and will likely cook the early splits again in five weeks.  one trick pony.

Catholic Boy meet turf.  

turf, meet Catholic Boy.  

Mississippi made the late three wide bid, had the lead turning for home - was the last left for the winner to pass - would expect to see him again in the Preakness.

in case ya missed it - UAE Derby - Mendelssohn - must use in any ticket come May 5th.  hopefully the "UAE Derby toss" angle plays out, enabling him to deliver some value in the KD tote/pools ... but i expect him to take a ton of underneath money.

if you are looking to toss a Euro invader, it's Gronkowski - 5 lifetime starts, 4 on synth, 1 on turf -  no shot here next month.

and, of significant note out West, McKinzie will sit out S.A. Derby - can this possibly lead to Justify staying in Cali?   :popcorn:

Love those camera angles at the UAE Derby. Mendelssohn looks spectacular as did Audible.

Hofburg looks like a serious contender.
definitely has the pedigree, out of Tapit, with A.P. Indy on both sides ... will be a stretch factor in KD, and will give the Belmont field all it can handle.  Mott has himself a good one on the upswing here  :thumbup:  

i'll be using Catholic Boy as my key, and perhaps a win bet if he drifts over 7/2

will construct rest of tickets once i get a feel for how the track is playing out

biggest question, though, is did @Evilgrin 72 make it to Hallandale? 

:popcorn:
I did. Just got up and I ache all over. God, getting old sucks. 

I meant couldn’t stay until the 14th. I may have had a few Bloody Marys. The track looks fast. Pretty hot there, though. Good luck!
Tito's Bloody Mary bar?  I hit that. Had a couple of the orange orchids since my wife wanted souvenir glasses. About 8-10 beers, then some guy bought me a shot of Maker's since I made him laugh. Ugh. Things get real hazy after that. 

I don't know what that place usually looks like but good Lord, it was a zoo yesterday. Lots of fun, but we had to step out after we got our pick 6 wagers in and watch races 9-11 from Frankey's Sports Bar. Only place we could find to actually sit down other than a slot machine. 

I had some dough down on the Audible/Hofburg exacta, just had a feeling on that 7 that I couldn't shake. Not a huge score, but enough to pull me out of the red and barely into the black on the day. Kept the wife away from the mall as well, but she did lose $100 on video roulette in about 10 minutes. She'll figure out a way to hemmorhage money no matter what. She doesn't drink though, and I spent at least that much on alcohol, so no harm done. 

Tito's Bloody Mary bar?  I hit that. Had a couple of the orange orchids since my wife wanted souvenir glasses. About 8-10 beers, then some guy bought me a shot of Maker's since I made him laugh. Ugh. Things get real hazy after that. 

I don't know what that place usually looks like but good Lord, it was a zoo yesterday. Lots of fun, but we had to step out after we got our pick 6 wagers in and watch races 9-11 from Frankey's Sports Bar. Only place we could find to actually sit down other than a slot machine. 
Yep. I’ve been one other time on a normal Sunday afternoon. There were a bunch of people, but yesterday I would venture to say had close to 10 times that amount. Walking 30 yards was a 5 minute process. 

some more pedigree food for thought ....

Raise A Native Sire Line: 11 Derby Winners in the 2000's   :thumbup:

McKinzie
Solomini
Avery Island
Good Magic
Strike Power
Kanthaka
Gold Town
Firenze Fire
Snapper Sinclair
Lombo 
Quip 
Blended Citizen
Vino Rosso
Reride

Storm Cat Sire Line: 0-51 Lifetime in KD   :unsure:

Promises Fulfilled
Audible
Justiify
Flameaway
Combatant
My Boy Jack
Mendelssohn 

I had some dough down on the Audible/Hofburg exacta, just had a feeling on that 7 that I couldn't shake. Not a huge score, but enough to pull me out of the red and barely into the black on the day. Kept the wife away from the mall as well, but she did lose $100 on video roulette in about 10 minutes. She'll figure out a way to hemmorhage money no matter what. She doesn't drink though, and I spent at least that much on alcohol, so no harm done. 
yeah, had a feeling the Hof was gonna be pickin' them up late -  glad ya made it and cashed  :thumbup:

oh, and Video Roulette, you say?

:lol:   

Yep. I’ve been one other time on a normal Sunday afternoon. There were a bunch of people, but yesterday I would venture to say had close to 10 times that amount. Walking 30 yards was a 5 minute process. 
Yeah, I figured as much. Man, it was congested. Then, you add in the 85-90 degree heat and sun and we needed an hour or two to just sit in air conditioning. Getting out of there was a beast too, took us almost an hour to go the ~15 miles from the track to Primanti in Wilton Manors. 

Users who are viewing this thread