What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Roethlisberger Intentional Fumble Story - How Likely Do You Think It's True? (1 Viewer)

How likely do you think Roethlisberger intentionally fumbled there?

• No Way he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 29 23.2%
  • Very Unlikely he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 20 16.0%
  • Probably did not intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 13 10.4%
  • On the fence he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 16 12.8%
  • Probably did intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • Very likely he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 17 13.6%
  • For sure he intentionally fumbled there

Votes: 13 10.4%

• Total voters
Between this and Breitbart over in the PSF, you're getting into some journalism ethics and sourcing. I have to say that the real stories about real things that sound absurd aren't being reported honestly by either side.    

I would say this: We'll never know. Ben hated Haley's West Coast Offense from the moment he brought it in. He loved Arians. IMHO, Arians should have coached that team forever (OC, that is) and they'd have won one or more SBs. That's simply my opinion, though. Air Arians!  

Last edited by a moderator:
irish eyes said:
You have no doubts?? Do you know him personally.  Guess you were up late having a few to many.
Being in the sales business for over 30 years I have to to be able to read people, actually make my living doing that.  Seen enough of Big Ben to get a good read on him, yep, he fumbled as a pout.

Being in the sales business for over 30 years I have to to be able to read people, actually make my living doing that.  Seen enough of Big Ben to get a good read on him, yep, he fumbled as a pout.
Fascinating.  What all went into your analysis of Big Ben?

Fascinating.  What all went into your analysis of Big Ben?
Fascinating? 

Compare Big Ben to Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, all went to major colleges, and never been in any trouble.  Big Ben out of the MAC and has been suspended from the NFL.  And has had trouble with people, a lot of negativity surrounding him.

I can see him getting punky over something and pulling that.

Fascinating? 

Compare Big Ben to Russell Wilson, Drew Brees, Tom Brady, Peyton Manning, all went to major colleges, and never been in any trouble.  Big Ben out of the MAC and has been suspended from the NFL.  And has had trouble with people, a lot of negativity surrounding him.

I can see him getting punky over something and pulling that.
Solid evidence here, you've convinced me that he did it on purpose :lol:  

Solid evidence here, you've convinced me that he did it on purpose :lol:  
There is no solid evidence with this, it comes down to who the guy is and his history.

Works like this.

Which one of these QB's intentionally fumbled the ball in a game, upset over a call?

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Big Ben

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

I guarantee most would.....Big Ben.....you disagree?

There is no solid evidence with this, it comes down to who the guy is and his history.

Works like this.

Which one of these QB's intentionally fumbled the ball in a game, upset over a call?

Joe Montana

Tom Brady

Big Ben

Drew Brees

Russell Wilson

Peyton Manning

I guarantee most would.....Big Ben.....you disagree?
This logic is so flawed you have to be fishing - you almost caught me - but I'll pass.

This logic is so flawed you have to be fishing - you almost caught me - but I'll pass.
Not at all, that is why we have this thread and a poll.

Think if it was....did Tom Brady intentionally fumble.....that gets no poll. That gets why is the guy telling that story lying?  This would be all about him and not Brady because we all know that could never happen with him.  But with Big Ben.....hmmmmmmm?

You are watching ESPN, on the bottom in that ticker you read.....NFL QB arrested on disturbing the peace.

Now, who do you think of. and.....who don't you think of?

To this point in the poll, about 4 out of 10 people think he at least "probably" fumbled on purpose.

safe to say of the other 6 of 10, 5 are likely Steelers fans.

I concur with ZR's character profiling in that a person of BR's character is capable of doing such a thing.

We get a sense of these players character by the way they present themselves on and off the field. 

BR comes off as entitled and immature. He very often says and does questionable things. Very different from other top QB's.

We all knew he disliked Haley. We all hear him throw teamates and coaches under the bus. 

What other top NFL QB can you imagine doing this? Maybe Cam Newton? Another immature guy with questionable character?

Yes, the fake fall down at the end of the play sells the point that it was contrived. He made sure that he was in no position to recover the ball.

Very obvious if you look at it with an open mind.

I don't often agree with him but I think Mark Madden's article here has some merit:  https://triblive.com/sports/mark-madden-bush-league-journalists-descend-on-steelers/

The Steelers and quarterback Ben Roethlisberger took a PR hit when Antonio Brown and Le’Veon Bell checked out. Roethlisberger was eviscerated. GM Kevin Colbert was villainized. The piling on continues.

But, in the process, damage also got done to the concept of journalism. (Journalism has taken a beating for quite a while now.)

In Robert Klemko’s story at SI.com, ex-Steelers back Josh Harris accused Ben Roethlisberger of intentionally fumbling in 2014. That’s an incredibly serious allegation. Klemko readily gave Harris a platform to make it, but didn’t talk to anybody else in that huddle. That’s Journalism 101. But Klemko ignored it. Why?

Because it didn’t fit the narrative, that’s why.

Klemko’s intent was to write a hit piece on Roethlisberger. He only sought information that was a means to that end.

Klemko didn’t talk to center Maurkice Pouncey, who later debunked Harris’ fantastic accusation on Instagram.

Nor did Klemko speak with quarterback Bruce Gradkowski, who was on the headsets that day. Gradkowski used Instagram to post video of the play in question and did a blow-by-blow account describing why things went (accidentally) wrong.

The story was absolute bush-league nonsense. But it fulfilled Klemko’s intent.

Perhaps even more embarrassing was Le’Veon Bell’s interview with SI.com’s Jenny Vrentas. (What happened to the once-proud Sports Illustrated franchise?)

Bell told Vrentas that Roethlisberger didn’t get him the ball enough. Roethlisberger’s “personal preferences played a role,” Bell said.

When Bell says that, Vrentas has to push back for the sake of her own credibility. In Bell’s last season with the Steelers, he led the league in touches. So how did Roethlisberger’s “personal preferences” hold back Bell? Anyway, didn’t Bell sit out 2018, in part, to protect his body from too many touches?

But Vrentas didn’t push back. She just blithely let Bell continue his infomercial. Vrentas could not possibly have done a worse job.

That’s all that interview was: an infomercial for Bell. Just like Antonio Brown’s appearances on ESPN and HBO were infomercials for him.

Outlets like Sports Illustrated and ESPN are so eager to get interviews with big names like Bell and Brown that the subjects are put at zero risk. It’s all kid gloves. It’s negotiated by the agents and the athletes get the questions in advance.

Would Brown have sat down with ESPN if the interviewer had been Jeremy Schaap, known for his probing insight? Schaap did battle with Bobby Knight and won. Schaap wouldn’t sit there and lob softballs.

But Jeff Darlington would and did. Darlington nodded like a stooge when Brown absurdly said, “I don’t take any blame. I think I took responsibility for my situation. I didn’t point the finger. I didn’t make no one look bad.

Brown takes responsibility for nothing. He won’t even pay for his daughter’s haircut. How do you let tripe like that slide by?

When you’re just glad to be there, that’s how.

Pouncey and Gradkowski, among others, have spoken out against the madness. Fox’s Skip Bayless said that the motivation provided makes Roethlisberger his pick to be NFL MVP. (That’s not far-fetched. Here’s betting Roethlisberger has a huge year.)

But Roethlisberger himself has been quiet.

That’s smart. The only way this ever dies down is if somebody shuts up.

It’s called taking the high road. Bell and Brown couldn’t find the high road with a state-of-the-art GPS. The slavering quasi-journalists who enabled the lies and treachery directed against Roethlisberger and the Steelers don’t know the directions, either.

As I mentioned in the Steelers thread, James Washington attributes his growth at the end of last season to Ben.  James Harrison, who has had no problems trashing his former team, said that Ben is a good leader.  James Conner, JuJu and Ryan Shazier have also recently defended Ben's leadership.

As I mentioned in the Steelers thread, James Washington attributes his growth at the end of last season to Ben.  James Harrison, who has had no problems trashing his former team, said that Ben is a good leader.  James Conner, JuJu and Ryan Shazier have also recently defended Ben's leadership.
And of course Pouncey. But let’s give the opinion of a 4th string running back who had a cup of coffee with the Steelers the most weight .....

Users who are viewing this thread