What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo to throw in practice Wednesday (1 Viewer)

gbill2004

Footballguy
Awesome news, considering I just traded for him!!

Tony Romo has informed the Cowboys' coaching staff that he can and is willing to play through his broken right pinkie, according to ESPN's Matt Mosley.Romo threw on the side Wednesday, reportedly with good velocity. However, there's no guarantee that the Cowboys will let him play because they fear Romo doing more damage to his finger. Coach Wade Phillips says Romo must practice to play on game days and he missed Wednesday's workout. Oct. 15 - 7:49 pm etSource: ESPN.com
Speaking on a local radio show, Cowboys coach Wade Phillips said Tony Romo would throw in practice in Wednesday and his status could be re-evaluated.The fallout from Brett Favre's phone call? There's no guarantee that Romo's throwing session will go well, so check back later in the day for updates. We wouldn't bet on seeing Romo behind center Sunday at St. Louis, but it seems reasonable that he could beat his original four-week timetable. Oct. 15 - 10:13 am etSource: Dallas Morning News

Last edited by a moderator:
Warner has had to deal with finger issues in the past. Yes he played through them, but he was not very accurate, could not get much zip on the ball, and was a turnover machine (both interceptions and fumbles).

I would not expect Romo to be able to produce like Romo given his injury. If he can't grip the ball the same way, I would expect much lower numbers.

We were discussing this in the Favre thread. Bottom line is that this is bad idea. Rest and come back when you are healed Tony. Even if the club goes 1-2, they have a great shot at the playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Cowboys risk the franchise QB.

Man if Kobe Bryant is able to play a full NBA season + Olympics with a broken pinky, Tony Romo should be able to tough it out and get out there. Splint that ish up and get out there.

Warner has had to deal with finger issues in the past. Yes he played through them, but he was not very accurate, could not get much zip on the ball, and was a turnover machine (both interceptions and fumbles).I would not expect Romo to be able to produce like Romo given his injury. If he can't grip the ball the same way, I would expect much lower numbers.
Romo doesn't exactly avoid turnovers when he is healthy...a bum digit will only make him more Warner like. On the flip side, how much lower would his #'s be when compared to what Brad Johnson is projected for? As long as he wasn't seriously risking long term health I don't see why he shouldn't come back ASAP.

We were discussing this in the Favre thread. Bottom line is that this is bad idea. Rest and come back when you are healed Tony. Even if the club goes 1-2, they have a great shot at the playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Cowboys risk the franchise QB.
Tony Romo is no Brett Favre. Favre was good enough to overcome playing with a broken thumb, Romo is not. They should let him rest and focus on a Week 11 playoff push.

I have been saying this all along Romo will play in the Giant game in 3 weeks. Just watch. If he does not it will only be because Dallas has gone 2-0 or have not lost any ground in the division. I think the finger will be pretty stable by then, enough to give Romo the start and be comfortable with playing with it. If not then he will be back after the bye at the Skins for sure.

If he was in any other division I'd think him playing wouldn't even be an option. They should at least see how well Brad does. I doubt they'll lose to STL but what do I know, wash somehow lost.

We all watched Favre do this for years and I'm sure that Romo wants to man up and get out there. However, after watching Warner play through this type of injury (and have it take a few years of limited play to get back to 'normal') I don't think it's in the Cowboys best interest to rush this. Romo should take the 3 games to get healthy and come back strong after the bye. The Cowboys entire season boils down to how they perform in the playoffs anyway...the team needs to keep their eye on the real prize, not some week 7 game against the Rams.

Warner has had to deal with finger issues in the past. Yes he played through them, but he was not very accurate, could not get much zip on the ball, and was a turnover machine (both interceptions and fumbles).I would not expect Romo to be able to produce like Romo given his injury. If he can't grip the ball the same way, I would expect much lower numbers.
Those were thumb issues though which seem to more directly affect the grip on the ball. Not saying that Romo will not experience any fallout from the injury, but it seems (logically at least) that the pinkie would be the least important digit whn it comes to throwing. I think its the snap that would create the pain and any issues that arise from the pain.

Those were thumb issues though which seem to more directly affect the grip on the ball. Not saying that Romo will not experience any fallout from the injury, but it seems (logically at least) that the pinkie would be the least important digit whn it comes to throwing. I think its the snap that would create the pain and any issues that arise from the pain.
It's the last part of the hand to touch the ball.Why risk turning the fracture from undisplaced to displaced and requiring surgery?

Warner definitely broke his pinkie finger in 2002 and had other surgery on the same finger earlier in his career.

LINK

I can't remember him having thumb issues (which he certainly could have), but I know he's had repeated pinkie issues . . .

Warner definitely broke his pinkie finger in 2002 and had other surgery on the same finger earlier in his career.

LINK

I can't remember him having thumb issues (which he certainly could have), but I know he's had repeated pinkie issues . . .
Ok thanks forgot he had pinky issues as well. I remember his thumb issues affecting him with the Giants. This is from rotoworld, but they have been inaccurate before.
October 2, 2008

Cardinals quarterback Kurt Warner was seen wearing a wrap around his right index finger after the game against the Jets, and it may be hurting him, according to Mike Sando of ESPN.com.

Our View:Warner has had problems with his throwing hand for many seasons, dating back to a thumb injury he sustained in St. Louis. Warner fumbled on four occasions against the Jets, and he has had problems holding onto the ball in the past.

LINK

Warner had thumb issues last year:Cardinals QB Kurt Warner Tears Ligament In Left Thumb

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Cardinals QB Kurt Warner suffered a torn ligament in his left thumb Sunday. Warner wasn't completely removed from the game, but did lose snaps to Tim Rattay on the goal line, and ultimately had a touchdown pass "vultured" by him on a second-and-goal play. Unless Warner's thumb heals during the week, the Cardinals could continue to use Rattay in certain situations going forward. Warner is having trouble handing off and gripping the ball.

Source: Detroit Free Press

How soon we forget the Rattay goalline experiment...

I think even Boldin took a snap at the goal line during that time period.

Warner has had to deal with finger issues in the past. Yes he played through them, but he was not very accurate, could not get much zip on the ball, and was a turnover machine (both interceptions and fumbles).

I would not expect Romo to be able to produce like Romo given his injury. If he can't grip the ball the same way, I would expect much lower numbers.
he does that with or without finger issues :own3d: Romo needs to man up, frikkin' Kobe did it in a sport where he has to CATCH the Ball and where a defender can swat at his hand dozens of times a game

Great PR for Romo and the Boys. Announce that your player is out for a month and then change roads saying he wont miss anytime and will "tough it out". I love it!

he does that with or without finger issues :own3d: Romo needs to man up, frikkin' Kobe did it in a sport where he has to CATCH the Ball and where a defender can swat at his hand dozens of times a game
IMO, it's one thing to be able to shoot a ball 15 feet and another to throw one 180 feet with proper speed and accuracy.I've broken my pinkie on my shooting/throwing hand and from experience can tell you that for whatever sports I was involved in at the time anything involving accuracy was a problem. I could tape it up and play basketball, but pitching, quarterbacking, bowling was very difficult. Strangely enough, I was a soccer goalie and had trouble catching the ball (especially when it was going full speed) and could really only block it instead of catch it.

Tony Romo (broken pinkie) threw "a little bit" indoors Monday, but isn't expected back before the Cowboys' Week 10 bye.QBs coach Wade Wilson says the team fears Romo will do more damage to his finger. The Cowboys play the lowly Rams this week and almost certainly won't test their luck this early. If Brad Johnson plays well, he'd probably get the nod in Week 8 versus Tampa. If he stinks at St. Louis, perhaps Dallas will see how Romo looks in practice the following week. But don't get your hopes up. Source: Dallas Morning News

It's really not a matter of being tough or not. Either you can play at your best... or you are probably a liability to your team. It really doesn't matter how "tough" a QB is if he is playing injured and hurting his team.

If Brad Johnson plays well, he'd probably get the nod in Week 8 versus Tampa. If he stinks at St. Louis, perhaps Dallas will see how Romo looks in practice the following week.
Yikes. I wouldn't subject an injured QB to the Bucs D.

Cowboys | Romo says he is ready to play Week 7Published Wed Oct 15 7:32:12 p.m. ET 2008

(KFFL) ESPN.com reports Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo (pinkie) informed his coaches he is ready to play in the team's Week 7 game, a source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley. Romo threw on the sidelines and observers said he was able to throw the ball with good velocity. He also appeared confident after throwin

Cowboys | Romo says he is ready to play Week 7Published Wed Oct 15 7:32:12 p.m. ET 2008(KFFL) ESPN.com reports Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo (pinkie) informed his coaches he is ready to play in the team's Week 7 game, a source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley. Romo threw on the sidelines and observers said he was able to throw the ball with good velocity. He also appeared confident after throwin
:unsure:

Cowboys | Romo says he is ready to play Week 7Published Wed Oct 15 7:32:12 p.m. ET 2008(KFFL) ESPN.com reports Dallas Cowboys QB Tony Romo (pinkie) informed his coaches he is ready to play in the team's Week 7 game, a source told ESPN.com's Matt Mosley. Romo threw on the sidelines and observers said he was able to throw the ball with good velocity. He also appeared confident after throwin
Wow.

It's really not a matter of being tough or not. Either you can play at your best... or you are probably a liability to your team. It really doesn't matter how "tough" a QB is if he is playing injured and hurting his team.
Exactly. This is the throwing hand of a "gunslinging" QB, not a quad or a hammy. In Romo's case, do to his throwing motion and mechanics, his hand plays a much larger role than most QBs. With that broken pinkie, his throws would "sail" on him.

Great PR for Romo and the Boys. Announce that your player is out for a month and then change roads saying he wont miss anytime and will "tough it out". I love it!
That's not what they said, but whatever . . .
Actually, that's looking like almost exactly what they are saying. How do you see it any different?Not saying it is an intentional PR stunt, but if Romo truly is ready to tough it out and play this weekend, it's great PR & motivation for a team that desperately needs it.

OK, let's just SAY he starts earlier than we anticipate: Week 7 or 8 or 9...Do you start him? Or if you have a solid backup (Campbell, Delhomme, Schaub, Orton...guys like that) do you go with your #2 until Romo proves he can play with pain?

Personally, I'd start Delhomme (my #2) and make Romo prove it to me rather than play the boom/bust game for that one week.

OK, let's just SAY he starts earlier than we anticipate: Week 7 or 8 or 9...Do you start him? Or if you have a solid backup (Campbell, Delhomme, Schaub, Orton...guys like that) do you go with your #2 until Romo proves he can play with pain?Personally, I'd start Delhomme (my #2) and make Romo prove it to me rather than play the boom/bust game for that one week.
I'm going to assume if he goes through a full practice you start him with confidence.

OK, let's just SAY he starts earlier than we anticipate: Week 7 or 8 or 9...Do you start him? Or if you have a solid backup (Campbell, Delhomme, Schaub, Orton...guys like that) do you go with your #2 until Romo proves he can play with pain?Personally, I'd start Delhomme (my #2) and make Romo prove it to me rather than play the boom/bust game for that one week.
Yes, I would definitely give it a week to guage if he comes back early. I don't think there is any question Brad Johnson starts this week. Johnson's performance in St. Louis will weigh heavily on how they approach the following weeks. They "need" to win in St. Louis. They have to win at home the following week vs. Tampa Bay. At New York the following week is obvious. I expect Romo to play in the Giants game, and possibly the Tampa game, depending... He's young enough. I think he'll heal enough to play sooner than after the bye.

OK, let's just SAY he starts earlier than we anticipate: Week 7 or 8 or 9...Do you start him? Or if you have a solid backup (Campbell, Delhomme, Schaub, Orton...guys like that) do you go with your #2 until Romo proves he can play with pain?

Personally, I'd start Delhomme (my #2) and make Romo prove it to me rather than play the boom/bust game for that one week.
Yes, I would definitely give it a week to guage if he comes back early. I don't think there is any question Brad Johnson starts this week. Johnson's performance in St. Louis will weigh heavily on how they approach the following weeks. They "need" to win in St. Louis. They have to win at home the following week vs. Tampa Bay. At New York the following week is obvious. I expect Romo to play in the Giants game, and possibly the Tampa game, depending...

He's young enough. I think he'll heal enough to play sooner than after the bye.
Seriously?It's only Wednesday, he threw on the side and reports are that it was good and feels that he can go.

This is as up in the air as any situation in the NFL right now.

Yes, I would definitely give it a week to guage if he comes back early. I don't think there is any question Brad Johnson starts this week. Johnson's performance in St. Louis will weigh heavily on how they approach the following weeks. They "need" to win in St. Louis. They have to win at home the following week vs. Tampa Bay. At New York the following week is obvious. I expect Romo to play in the Giants game, and possibly the Tampa game, depending...

Seriously?It's only Wednesday, he threw on the side and reports are that it was good and feels that he can go.

Yeah not sure why these 2 think it's impossible or don't want to start him if he's playing. It's pretty simple, Romo already said he thinks he's fine to play and as long as he does a full practice he's startable. If you're too scared to start him or whatever, then don't, it sounds like you have your mind made up already anyway.

Wow do I need this for the 35 K contest, Romo and Ryan are my only QBs!!!

Come on you fruity, backwards hat wearing nancy, get out there!

Yeah not sure why these 2 think it's impossible or don't want to start him if he's playing. It's pretty simple, Romo already said he thinks he's fine to play and as long as he does a full practice he's startable. If you're too scared to start him or whatever, then don't, it sounds like you have your mind made up already anyway.
I don't think it's impossible that he'll play. And I agree with you...if he practices fully he's startable. That would mean he doesn't have to baby it. You're also right that I'm a little scared of starting him and getting a 0 TD, 4 turnover game from him. As of now, I would start my #2. If he practices fully on Thursday, most likely he changes my mind.My whole intention in asking the question was to hear others' thought processes. You gave me yours, and it's helpful. Thanks.

I'm not saying that it's impossible, and definitely not rooting against him. Just don't let ESPN tickle your fancy too much on this one. They're more "news magazine" than news television these days, remember?

If I hear anything solid on this, you can bet I'll be here to post it. Just don't count on it.

If he says he can play, why hold him out? He can break any bone at any time during any game. If you're going to hold him out over this when he can play, why not hold him out all season? C'mon, rub some dirt on it and get out there.

Users who are viewing this thread