What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Romo to throw in practice Wednesday (1 Viewer)

Bankerguy said:
Warner has had to deal with finger issues in the past. Yes he played through them, but he was not very accurate, could not get much zip on the ball, and was a turnover machine (both interceptions and fumbles).

I would not expect Romo to be able to produce like Romo given his injury. If he can't grip the ball the same way, I would expect much lower numbers.
Those were thumb issues though which seem to more directly affect the grip on the ball. Not saying that Romo will not experience any fallout from the injury, but it seems (logically at least) that the pinkie would be the least important digit whn it comes to throwing. I think its the snap that would create the pain and any issues that arise from the pain.
It's the last part of the hand to touch the ball.Why risk turning the fracture from undisplaced to displaced and requiring surgery?
ummm.. nope ... it is the first finger to leave the ballthe pinky just isn't that important ... it's why you see it taped routinely to the ring finger when jammed and it's why you see folks playing with it broken

break your thumb/index/middle and take a month or two off, break a pinkie and just play thru the pain

he'll lobby this week and be the backup ... he'll play against tampa

sjacksonfan said:
If he says he can play, why hold him out? He can break any bone at any time during any game. If you're going to hold him out over this when he can play, why not hold him out all season? C'mon, rub some dirt on it and get out there.
Because athletes ALWAYS want to play and will do/say anything to get back on the field, especially when they are under fire or feel threatened in some way. The pitcher with a tired arm will want to stay in the game, the shooting guard with a bum knee will shake it off and stay in the game, and in this case the star QB with a broken pinky thinks he can play and help the team. Maybe he can, maybe he can't but to allow the athlete to make the decision without any questions is foolish at best and dangerous to him and the team long-term at worst.

seems like all the cowboys who have been injured are coming back too soon and getting reinjured, Hurd, Kosier, Newman....

From a football prospective I say let him get some reps in practic to develop a rhythm with RW but from a game perspective I say why risk getting it injured more or making a bad pass because of the finger that can cost them a game.

From a fantasy prospective, can you start him? St. Louis is a matchup that Romo owners were drooling over after Mcnabb's week 1 performance, but one helmet hit or shove to thr ground and he's outta there....

I think we will see a few more updates on Romo coming along and and/demading to play as it gets closer to Sunday. Dallas coaches will not let him play in the end. Romo looks tough after being called out by Farve, but he still sits.

Even with his fractured pinkie, there is no doubt Dallas quarterback Tony Romo wants to play. But being able to play as well as being cleared medically are a different issue.

Romo has been told that if he plays, and if he aggravates his pinkie injury, it could become a displaced fracture. And if his pinkie becomes a displaced fracture, then the 4- to 5-week time frame which Romo is expected to miss would become more prolonged.

With a displaced fracture, Romo would face season-ending surgery.

Now, even with Romo telling the Cowboys coaches he wants to play, Dallas’ coaches must make one of the most significant decisions of this season. Their choice.

-Adam Scheffter, NFL.com

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/16/romos-fickle-finger-of-fate/

As I said last night, Johnson will certainly start Sunday at St. Louis.

Andy Herron said:
Even with his fractured pinkie, there is no doubt Dallas quarterback Tony Romo wants to play. But being able to play as well as being cleared medically are a different issue.

Romo has been told that if he plays, and if he aggravates his pinkie injury, it could become a displaced fracture. And if his pinkie becomes a displaced fracture, then the 4- to 5-week time frame which Romo is expected to miss would become more prolonged.

With a displaced fracture, Romo would face season-ending surgery.

Now, even with Romo telling the Cowboys coaches he wants to play, Dallas’ coaches must make one of the most significant decisions of this season. Their choice.

-Adam Scheffter, NFL.com

http://blogs.nfl.com/2008/10/16/romos-fickle-finger-of-fate/

As I said last night, Johnson will certainly start Sunday at St. Louis.
Although I think it's stupid........=============================================================

Jerry Jones: It looks 'promising' that Tony Romo will play vs. Rams

12:33 PM Thu, Oct 16, 2008 | Permalink | Yahoo! Buzz

Tim MacMahon E-mail News tips

While hanging out at his under-construction billion-dollar football palace, Jerry Jones threw another log on the fire of speculation about Tony Romo playing Sunday.

"He looks promising," Jerry told Todd Archer.

Jerry added that he expects Romo to practice this afternoon. The decision on whether Romo plays a week after fracturing his pinkie finger will ultimately be up to Wade Phillips, according to Jerry, who claims he'll only step in if he believes the risk for further damage is too great.

We'll have more on this from the fellas in the locker room in a little bit. Romo didn't make an appearance, but TE Jason Witten and RG Leonard "Bigg" Davis said they're preparing as if Brad Johnson will start but know Romo will try to talk his way onto the field.

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching him throw on ESPN right now. He just threw a 30 yarder. Looks pretty good. If he doesn't play this week at least its a good sign he could be back earlier than 4 weeks.

Cowboys blog:

Jerry Jones says he wants to leave it up to Wade Phillips to make the final call about whether Tony Romo will play. But Jerry will step in and tell Romo to sit down Sunday if he fears that he'll cause long-term damage to his fractured pinkie.

"That's the concern and there is that risk," Jerry said. "And it's fractured and the wrong kind of lick on it might make it more severe. But they've developed a way to protect it so that he can throw.

"It's so interesting in how he's explaining to me he's found out he can put the emphasis with the little finger on the [ring] finger and do what the little finger does. He said I just had to get it through in my mind and let me see how much I can throw it. He's trying to work with this ... "This is a decision that Wade and Tony will have to make regarding the pain. As it would pertain to the long term risk, then I'll be a good observer of that decision."

Jerry has literally been hands-on with the decision making on this one, catching passes from Romo in the Cowboys' indoor facility yesterday morning. Romo wanted the owner to feel firsthand how much velocity he could put on the ball.

We were discussing this in the Favre thread. Bottom line is that this is bad idea. Rest and come back when you are healed Tony. Even if the club goes 1-2, they have a great shot at the playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Cowboys risk the franchise QB.
this is my thought as well. BJ can at least manage the game against SL. this is what backup QB's are for.

I picked up BJ, but.. even if he started would he be on a short leash if things weren't looking great in the first half? Jones seemed concerned about further injury to Romo's finger but is leaving the decision up to Wade. Does Tony play vs St. Louis?

IF Romo plays do you start him?

1) Assuming your backup is marginal.

I'm not sure I want to take that risk this week.

16 team league, I have no backup, no one wants to trade. My QBs are Romo, Garrard, Kitna. Luckily I play the worst team in the league who is without Westbrook, MJD, & others. I should win...i hope.

IF Romo plays do you start him?1) Assuming your backup is marginal.I'm not sure I want to take that risk this week.
I am starting him, my backups are Ryan (ATL) and Garcia (TB). BTW we have a team qb in this league so if he gets pulled I am safe guarded if he get's pulled from the lineup during the game. Old league going on 25 years, this is the one rule that is left from when it started that the owners do not want to let go of. I kinda like it myself but all other leagues I am in it is a single player QB system.

We were discussing this in the Favre thread. Bottom line is that this is bad idea. Rest and come back when you are healed Tony. Even if the club goes 1-2, they have a great shot at the playoffs. I HIGHLY doubt the Cowboys risk the franchise QB.
this is my thought as well. BJ can at least manage the game against SL. this is what backup QB's are for.
Ditto.However, Jerry is saying right now (currently on "The Ticket" radio station here in Dallas) that he is leaving it up to Romo as to whether he feels he can go or not. Jerry says he thinks Romo will be able to play. As to risking further injury, Jerry says the splint designed for him is very protective. He did admit that Romo has yet to attempt hand-offs or taking snaps from under center.Wade Phillips press conference coming up momentarily...

Big News per DFW sports beat, Romo has possible ligaments torn in thumb too

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I was watching brady tinker on sports beat, and possibly big news, brady said that romo has like torn ligaments in his thumb besides his pinkie finger and he needs at least 2 weeks rest to get this well, so he can throw better etc.

LOL...which is it?

Wade Phillips-

The team is ready to play with Brad.

We feel we can win with Brad.

Tony will be the bonus in this situation.

That looks like the direction we're going.

The injury is a risk and something to consider.

I don't think the hand-offs are a problem for him.

We've got a plan right now, and are considering different scenarios.

Jerry's interview.

Who will make the final decision on Romo playing?

We’ll see how he feels, and that will be it. It will be up to how he feels on Sunday at this juncture. It will be up to him. If he’s feeling good and the pain is good, he’ll play.

There is no possibility of him being injured more severely?

No.

There’s no chance of him furthering the injury?

No there’s not. He has a very good cast and a very good system to support his hand. You can conjure up any kind of scenario you want and anything is possible. Anyone can break their hand on any Sunday. But he’s thrown the ball well in practice. It’s very likely that he will be able to play. The question is can he handle the pain. Brad had a good practice yesterday, so we’ll have a look at this thing.

Did Tony try hard snap throws like a 15 yard out?

Yes

Did he try handoffs?

We limited them in practice, but it’s possible he will try some by Sunday. You can conjure up any scenario you want, but this will come down to whether or not Tony thinks he can play.

As a GM, don’t you ask yourself why take the chance?

I know how important this game is to us. Our team is under siege with injuries. We’ll be a better team weeks down the road. What we can’t do is comprimse ourselves due to decision making right now that effect out won loss record.

It seems like the team is almost afraid to play Brad Johnson.

It may appear that way to some. Fundamentally it’s just that we obviously feel that Tony gives us the best chance to win. That’s obvious. So do we give ourselves the best chance to win. This team beat the Redskins last week.

But the Rams are 4-17 in their last 21. They are dead last in offense and defense. They totaled 4 TDs all year. Never more than 2 in a game.

We need to beat them .. look at our the next 3 games, we need to win this game because the upcoming games are tough. That’s the rationale that’s there.

I know you said that PacMan wasn’t a distraction. But one of the leaders of the team had to go to PacMan and ask him to apologize to the team. Doesn’t that indicate a problem?

No, I love that kind of leadership on this team. These aren’t robots out here. These are men that have interplay, but distractions are not the word. I’ve seen it used as an excuse, but I’ve never seen these things as a real distraction. It’s fun to blame this stuff on things, but this stuff shouldn’t effect blocking, tackling or studying for a game. You know, I stayed up all night with a QB one time, into the wee hours of the night, listening to his concerns with the franchise and we went out the next day and won the Superbowl. I’ve never seen these distractions impact the team on the field.

Well, I guess we can deduce who that quarterbacks was. So PacMan is still a Cowboy, but suspended, but will he have the bodyguards with him.

I haven’t thought about that. Should he go through treatment and those things it won’t be necessary.

Have you talked about conditions which he might return?

No, but I’ve read the stipulations put forth by the Commissioner, so I know what they are.

Didn’t his actions violate the zero tolerance policy?

They didn’t violate any of the team rules. But they did violate the conditions of his re-instatement. That was the issue. Not with this team, but with all 32 teams. I was very aware that the narrow window he had getting back into the league could be in violation.

So you didn’t see this as a suspension worthy by the team, but the rules of the league in regards to no alcohol incidents.

It was the publicity. Any negative publicity towards the team could violate his probation. And it was important with our deal in Tennesseee had to do with a league suspension, not a team suspension.

I was asked all over about why the Cowboys would want PacMan Jones back.

If he adheres to his conditions, that’s pretty impressive. He’s an outstanding player. If he does what the league asks him to do he has a chance to do well in this league in the future. We had a player who came in and played 6 games for us and gave us time to get our rookies ready to play and made up for missing Terrence Newman. He played well for us. He didn’t have a super kind of game where he scored every point for his team, like he did one game in the past. But financially speaking what we got out of it wasn’t’ unreasonable at all. And he’s still very young.

There are loads of young people in your lockerroom who don’t cause any problems for you. So why do you need someone like this?

*Jerry’s phone goes dead*

Big News per DFW sports beat, Romo has possible ligaments torn in thumb too --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I was watching brady tinker on sports beat, and possibly big news, brady said that romo has like torn ligaments in his thumb besides his pinkie finger and he needs at least 2 weeks rest to get this well, so he can throw better etc. LOL...which is it?
This doesn't sound right.

Big News per DFW sports beat, Romo has possible ligaments torn in thumb too --------------------------------------------------------------------------------I was watching brady tinker on sports beat, and possibly big news, brady said that romo has like torn ligaments in his thumb besides his pinkie finger and he needs at least 2 weeks rest to get this well, so he can throw better etc. LOL...which is it?
The above was a post from a Cowboys message board (not me talking).DMN now retracts.The report is not true.Sorry everyone.

The above was a post from a Cowboys message board (not me talking).
Oh, I know. No worries there. :goodposting:

Let's be clear here. Jerry said Tony should be able to "play," not necessarily saying he should be able to "start."

All things considered, it sounds like they will go with Johnson and Romo will be the backup rather than the emergency 3rd QB.

Let's be clear here. Jerry said Tony should be able to "play," not necessarily saying he should be able to "start."

All things considered, it sounds like they will go with Johnson and Romo will be the backup rather than the emergency 3rd QB.
Andy...with all due respect. It's far from clear that Johnson will start.Who will make the final decision on Romo playing?

We’ll see how he feels, and that will be it. It will be up to how he feels on Sunday at this juncture. It will be up to him. If he’s feeling good and the pain is good, he’ll play.

Andy...with all due respect. It's far from clear that Johnson will start.Who will make the final decision on Romo playing?

We'll have to see how practice goes today, but I tend to agree with this line of thinking. He's throwing and from what I've seen posted it sounds like Jerry is comfortable with him playing and so is Romo. Romo gives them the best chance to win, why would they not play him? In one of the posts earlier it was stated he couldn't damage it any further, so this seems like a nobrainer to me, he plays.

The Dallas Morning News reports that Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said it is very likely that Tony Romo will play on Sunday. Moments later, coach Wade Phillips said in his news conference that a decision still hasn't been made. When informed of Jones' comments, he said: "Whatever Jerry says, I'm going with." Romo worked some with the first team during Thursday's practice.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw....120407983.html

Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Friday that Tony Romo is "very likely" to play against the Rams despite a broken right pinkie.

Jones indicated that it's a pain tolerance issue and head coach Wade Phillips said he'll defer to his boss. "Whatever Jerry says, I'm going with," Phillips said. It sounds like Romo is going to play, but that won't be for sure until Sunday's inactives are released. Oct. 17 - 12:48 pm et

Source: Dallas Morning News

They will start Johnson and he will hand off to Barber a lot, then bring in Romo to pass a few..get ahead by 2 tds then back to Johnson to handoff rest of game to Barber..BIG GAME for Barber..QB's no! Its the Rams for gods sake.

I would have to question the intelligence of Jones and the Dallas coaching staff if Romo sees the field Sunday. Why not give him an extra week to heal up? You are playing the Rams and if you honestly think you are good enough to win a Superbowl this year, you should be able to beat them with Brad Johnson who is very serviceable as your QB.

I would have to question the intelligence of Jones and the Dallas coaching staff if Romo sees the field Sunday. Why not give him an extra week to heal up? You are playing the Rams and if you honestly think you are good enough to win a Superbowl this year, you should be able to beat them with Brad Johnson who is a very serviceable as your QB.
100% agree. He should not play.

Clear? No, but-Dallas Cowboys head coach Wade Phillips didn't wait for any questions during his short press conference here Friday at Valley Ranch. Phillips started off by saying his team is prepared to play with quarterback Brad Johnson. "We can win this game with Brad," Phillips said. "We're getting ready to play with Brad. If Tony (Romo) plays at all, it will be a bonus." Either the Cowboys are truly getting Brad Johnson as ready as possible, or they're not letting the media see anything. In the 25 minutes we got to see of Friday's walk-thru practice, Tony Romo only threw just a handful of passes - all coming in a light warm-up to the receivers and backs. In the team-structured practice, Johnson took all of the snaps with the first-team.

It seems to me that Romo is going to play. I wouldn't see any point in having him practice at all, if he wasn't going to play. They sure wouldn't risk him injuring the finger further, or delaying his recovery if they thought it was an issue. We are only talking about a pinky finger guys. It was probably swollen at first, making him feel like he couldn't grip the ball... the pain goes down, the swelling goes down... and he realized that it wasn't such a big deal. I think that Wade Phillips just doesn't want the Rams to be fully prepared for who is starting.

hellz_fireflies said:
Cowboys owner Jerry Jones said Friday that Tony Romo is "very likely" to play against the Rams despite a broken right pinkie.

Jones indicated that it's a pain tolerance issue and head coach Wade Phillips said he'll defer to his boss. "Whatever Jerry says, I'm going with," Phillips said. It sounds like Romo is going to play, but that won't be for sure until Sunday's inactives are released. Oct. 17 - 12:48 pm et

If that's the case gotta think barring setback it's 100% Romo starts.

Not sure if this is any kind of indication one way or another, but Romo had his hand wrapped differently today than he did yesterday. He had both his ring finger and middle finger wrapped with his pinkie instead of just his ring finger yesterday.

I'm "guessing" they want to see him take some snaps from under center and try some hand-offs in the closed portion of practice, and see how it works out.

I still see this as evaluating whether he can serve as the backup.

hellz_fireflies said:

Those are the kind of replies Wade throws out there for "laughs," which in most cases he gets. These are the kind of quotes that get misconstrued when they come out in print.

hellz_fireflies said:

Those are the kind of replies Wade throws out there for "laughs," which in most cases he gets. These are the kind of quotes that get misconstrued when they come out in print.
I hear you but gotta think it's pretty close to the truth, no? Even if he was going for laughs.

hellz_fireflies said:

I believe the exact quote when Wade was talking about JJ was..... Dr. Jerry (no joke).

Bankerguy said:
PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
I would have to question the intelligence of Jones and the Dallas coaching staff if Romo sees the field Sunday. Why not give him an extra week to heal up? You are playing the Rams and if you honestly think you are good enough to win a Superbowl this year, you should be able to beat them with Brad Johnson who is a very serviceable as your QB.
100% agree. He should not play.
I'm thinking Jones has Romo and Kurt Warner in the FBG contest and doesn't want to get a zero.

The Rams beat Washington last week and are hungry. But the Cowboys should be a far better team. I wish I knew who was starting. I think BJ starts and Romo plays if BJ makes a mistake or two.

Andy Herron said:
Phulish said:
PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
I would have to question the intelligence of Jones and the Dallas coaching staff if Romo sees the field Sunday. Why not give him an extra week to heal up? You are playing the Rams and if you honestly think you are good enough to win a Superbowl this year, you should be able to beat them with Brad Johnson who is very serviceable as your QB.
:lmao: nothing good comes from this. If the cowboys can't win this game with Johnson back there, they are not going to win the superbowl. A poorly thrown ball taken back for 6, bad exchanges or another injury as he compensates for the hand....don't like it one bit.Defense needs to step their sh$t up and allow Brad to manage the game smartly.
:lmao: Yep! That's where we're at.
Completely disagree. This is the NFL. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday. The Rams just won in Washington last week and now they're at home. A conference loss this week for Dallas could be the difference between a first round bye in the playoffs and not making the playoffs at all. If a team starts thinking they can coast through a game without their best players because on paper they should, that team is just asking for trouble. Put the players on the field every week that give you the best chance to win. Period. If Romo's hurt and can't grip the ball, that's one thing. If he can play but they're holding him out just because they think they can win anyway, then that's a mistake IMO.

Andy Herron said:
Phulish said:
PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
:goodposting: nothing good comes from this. If the cowboys can't win this game with Johnson back there, they are not going to win the superbowl. A poorly thrown ball taken back for 6, bad exchanges or another injury as he compensates for the hand....

don't like it one bit.

Defense needs to step their sh$t up and allow Brad to manage the game smartly.
:goodposting: Yep! That's where we're at.
Completely disagree. This is the NFL. Anyone can beat anyone on any given Sunday. The Rams just won in Washington last week and now they're at home. A conference loss this week for Dallas could be the difference between a first round bye in the playoffs and not making the playoffs at all. If a team starts thinking they can coast through a game without their best players because on paper they should, that team is just asking for trouble. Put the players on the field every week that give you the best chance to win. Period. If Romo's hurt and can't grip the ball, that's one thing. If he can play but they're holding him out just because they think they can win anyway, then that's a mistake IMO.
Couldn't agree more with this post. Here's a bit I found where a couple of ESPN analysts talk about the success of QBs playing through injuries. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU

Man, is this going to be one of those last second starts where fools get stuck with the wrong guy? Would it be better to fish someone off waivers rather than try to play the guessing game with the Cowboys QBs?

Andy Herron said:
Phulish said:
PizzaDeliveryGuy said:
:goodposting: nothing good comes from this. If the cowboys can't win this game with Johnson back there, they are not going to win the superbowl. A poorly thrown ball taken back for 6, bad exchanges or another injury as he compensates for the hand....

don't like it one bit.

Defense needs to step their sh$t up and allow Brad to manage the game smartly.
:goodposting: Yep! That's where we're at.
Couldn't agree more with this post. Here's a bit I found where a couple of ESPN analysts talk about the success of QBs playing through injuries. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f2b1D5w82yU
couldn't disagree more with your agreement of his disagreement

Man, is this going to be one of those last second starts where fools get stuck with the wrong guy? Would it be better to fish someone off waivers rather than try to play the guessing game with the Cowboys QBs?
I have Romo on my roster, and I know he's not starting.I'm going with Garcia.

I side with the logic that he's not starting, but you consistently speaking in absolutes in regards to something you know nothing about has me rooting for Romo to be under center come Sunday.

I side with the logic that he's not starting, but you consistently speaking in absolutes in regards to something you know nothing about has me rooting for Romo to be under center come Sunday.
I apologize if I come across that way, and I do know something about it-take it or leave it-but you are still left with whatever choice you prefer. I'm only trying to inform you. You wanna start Romo? Go for it... and good luck.I'm here to offer absolute knowledge and input, and not to sell a darn thing. You're free to do with it what you want.Nobody's twisting your arm.

Users who are viewing this thread