What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ron Wolf on Samkon Gado (1 Viewer)

I know, yet another Gado thread. But isn't it just possible that both Liberty and the NFL missed on this guy early? Ron Wolf seems to think so.....

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/dec05/379402.asp

Based on last night - and that's mostly what I have to base it on - he looks like an exceptional talent," said former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, who attended the game in Baltimore. "I don't know what his injury was, so we'll see.

"But when he hit that one hole and then hit through the other, you said to yourself, 'Holy smokes. My goodness, that's a real talent. He's someone to reckon with.' "

I know, yet another Gado thread. But isn't it just possible that both Liberty and the NFL missed on this guy early? Ron Wolf seems to think so.....

http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/dec05/379402.asp

Based on last night - and that's mostly what I have to base it on - he looks like an exceptional talent," said former Packers general manager Ron Wolf, who attended the game in Baltimore. "I don't know what his injury was, so we'll see.

"But when he hit that one hole and then hit through the other, you said to yourself, 'Holy smokes. My goodness, that's a real talent. He's someone to reckon with.' "
Very interesting but I wonder if he is saying that just because he made those negative comments a few weeks ago. I would think not but when I watch Gado play I see an average NFL back not a uber talented one. (But then again I am a message board poster and Ron Wolf in one of the greatest talent evaluators in the history of the NFL who has built SuperBowl championship winning teams).

Last edited by a moderator:
What he's managed to do behind that line and with the horrible GB O can not be ignored. He's looked better than A. Green ever did.

What he's managed to do behind that line and with the horrible GB O can not be ignored. He's looked better than A. Green ever did.
Let's not get carried away here. :) Gado definitely looked better than Green did this season but he has a long way to go before he can match what Green accomplished as the Packers' starter. I do think he's legit, though.

Hold on. He looks better than Ahman looked this year, but Ahman was a beast for 3-4 years there.

I am 100% sold on Gado. He has shredded through some good defenses, including Pittsburgh I beleive and he has done it with one of the worst offensive lines and with no help from WR to take the pressure off of him. Imagine what he might be able to do with a revamped line and all the other offensive weapons healthy??? I still think the Packers look at another back. Green won't be back, Poopenport is a free agent and Fisher isn't very good.

Gado put up 62 yards on 26 carriers against Pittsburgh. Not exactly stellar.

I am 100% sold on Gado. He has shredded through some good defenses, including Pittsburgh I beleive and he has done it with one of the worst offensive lines and with no help from WR to take the pressure off of him. Imagine what he might be able to do with a revamped line and all the other offensive weapons healthy??? I still think the Packers look at another back. Green won't be back, Poopenport is a free agent and Fisher isn't very good.

I've seen him 2 times this year, once was his worst game he played, he hardly had any yards, I don't remember who they played. I thought he looked fat and slow. On Monday night, he looked like that same fat and slow guy as before, but when that hole opened up, he looked like he went immediately from fat and slow to some turbo speed I found it hard to believe he had. I was amazed, I think he could be really good if he had a line.

Gado put up 62 yards on 26 carriers against Pittsburgh. Not exactly stellar.

Gado looked very solid against PIT in the first half. in the second half, he was clearly gassed as it was his first NFL start.

The quotes from Ron Wolf could also be posturing leverage in order to re-sign A.Green at a discount or with an incentive laden contract...............smart move IMO.

The quotes from Ron Wolf could also be posturing leverage in order to re-sign A.Green at a discount or with an incentive laden contract...............smart move IMO.
:goodposting: BUT

Why would he be postering for the benefit of the Packers, I didn't think he still working for them.

he does seem like a good kid who has gotten better in the few games he played.in 7 games he racked up 500+ rushing yards and 6 TD's not bad for a fifth stringer

oooops.... :ph34r: my bad

I have to be honest, he reminds me a lot of Green. The build. The way he carriers himself. His body style. All seems similar to Green to me. He has an exra gear that I think Green has lost. He has a long way to go, but I think he's got the goods to play in this league. We'll see if that translates to a starting gig next season. The fact that both KC and GB took chances on him and that Vermeil was sorry to lose Gado, seems fairly telling.

Gado reminds me a lot of Rudi Johnson. Gado has definitely earned himself some money this year. I hope he recovers from his injury 100%. The guy seems like a really class act.

Just a hunch but I think Gato will be out of the league or buried at the bottom of the depth chart next year. He has a nice little run playing on a horrible team but this guy isn't a legit every down RB, especially after this injury.What do you expect Ron Wolf to say about the kid? He is a nice guy and "feel good story" during a season to forget in Green Bay so there aren't going to be a lot of people buring the kid publicly!Forget about this guy and move on.....

Why is Ron Wolf around so much this year? He was good 10 years ago.
Because being good 10 years ago & ??? in the future beats being crappy now & ??? in the future. There are a number of teams Wolf would be an improvement for as a GM/talent guy.

Gado put up 62 yards on 26 carriers against Pittsburgh.  Not exactly stellar.

Gado looked very solid against PIT in the first half. in the second half, he was clearly gassed as it was his first NFL start.
What I like most about this guy is his patience behind the line - he waits for holes to open up - he waits for the play to develope - that's a smart football player who knows the game. Once he sees the hole, he hits it and he hits it fast and hard. I don't think he is slow, I think he is patient.

Put up 86 all purpose yards and a touch against a Bears defense that just made Vick, Dunn, and Duckett look like chumps.

Jessie Chatman put up some nice number last season too. How did that work out? Like I said, forget about this guy and move on.....Somebody like Chester Taylor has a lot more potential then Mr. Ro-Gado!

Jessie Chatman put up some nice number last season too. How did that work out? Like I said, forget about this guy and move on.....Somebody like Chester Taylor has a lot more potential then Mr. Ro-Gado!
What has Chester proven?

if it's all the same to you, i think i'll hold on to him and see how things shake out next year.

Don't bash me for this but doesn't he remind you a bit of Jerome Bettis??????? A big fat guy that runs fast and straight ahead. I am pissed becaused I ignored all the sharks on this board and did not pick him up before he busted out. I had a chance but did not.

Just a hunch but I think Gato will be out of the league or buried at the bottom of the depth chart next year. He has a nice little run playing on a horrible team but this guy isn't a legit every down RB, especially after this injury.

What do you expect Ron Wolf to say about the kid? He is a nice guy and "feel good story" during a season to forget in Green Bay so there aren't going to be a lot of people buring the kid publicly!

Forget about this guy and move on.....
Someone beat you to him in a dynasty league huh?

Just a hunch but I think Gato will be out of the league or buried at the bottom of the depth chart next year. He has a nice little run playing on a horrible team but this guy isn't a legit every down RB, especially after this injury.

What do you expect Ron Wolf to say about the kid? He is a nice guy and "feel good story" during a season to forget in Green Bay so there aren't going to be a lot of people buring the kid publicly!

Someone beat you to him in a dynasty league huh?
Stevejohnson what makes you so sure about him being a bust. He has played well when given the chance, **** Vermil seemed to have liked him, now Ron Wolf seems to think he has some talent, he can catch and pass block. Honestly do you see something in his game that he is lacking?

Sam Gado is here to stay.Worse case scenario, Green comes back it's an open competition in the pre-season & Gado splits carries w/ Green during the regular season.More likely scenario, Green is gone & Gado is the new starter.

Sam Gado is here to stay.

Worse case scenario, Green comes back it's an open competition in the pre-season & Gado splits carries w/ Green during the regular season.

More likely scenario, Green is gone & Gado is the new starter.
Your Gado love is clouding your mind.

What do you expect Ron Wolf to say about the kid?

Ron Wolf had no problem calling the rest of the Green Bay team "NFL Europe players." I highly doubt he'd praise a guy just to do it. He's a straight shooter most of the time.Linky>http://www.jsonline.com/packer/news/nov05/372735.asp

"The fear you have in salary cap football is that when you lose the caliber of players that they've lost you have no way to replace those players," Wolf said. "And you can see that. They're playing with guys who are NFL Europe-caliber. It just doesn't work."

Wolf acknowledged that except for the wide receiver and possibly the running back positions, this Packers' offense is more talented than the one he put on the field during his first season as general manager in 1992. But he said the absence of someone who can do something with the ball after Favre delivers it was so noticeably evident that he cringed after watching two critical plays in the game.

"Last night, you could not have thrown a better pass than the one he threw to (Andrae) Thurman," Wolf said referring to a third-and-10 incompletion inside the Minnesota 10-yard line with just over 3 minutes to go. "If it's first down, they go in and score a touchdown, it's a different ball game."

Wolf also said Favre's throw to Thurman that was intercepted and returned for a touchdown could have been prevented if Thurman had dragged his route outside. He said plays like that torture coaches because they can't limit throws to just one receiver.

"Can you imagine how frustrating it is for those guys?" Wolf said. "To put in all that time and suddenly be wiped out and have to approach games like this, trying not to make a mistake so you can at least be competitive? You can't win."

Wolf said if current

Tom Silverstein, Milwaukee Journal Sentinel

RB Gado Not Headed For Injured Reserve Yet

GM Ted Thompson said RB Samkon Gado wasn't headed directly for injured reserve because there was a remote chance he could still play. But it's unlikely the Packers would risk exposing their potential running back of the future to further injury with two weeks to go in a 3-11 season. Tests confirmed Tuesday that he has torn his medial collateral ligament. Gado will go into the off-season as the leading candidate to start at halfback
I have no idea who Tom Silverstein is and I'm sure this is not based on anything more than speculation BUT there seems to be some buzz in the Green Bay area that Gado is for real

GM Ted Thompson said RB Samkon Gado wasn't headed directly for injured reserve because there was a remote chance he could still play. But it's unlikely the Packers would risk exposing their potential running back of the future to further injury with two weeks to go in a 3-11 season. Tests confirmed Tuesday that he has torn his medial collateral ligament. Gado will go into the off-season as the leading candidate to start at halfback
I have no idea who Tom Silverstein is and I'm sure this is not based on anything more than speculation BUT there seems to be some buzz in the Green Bay area that Gado is for real
And it isn't hard to read into that. Green and Davenport are free agents so yes, Gado will go into the OFF-SEASON as the leading candidate to start at halfback while those two are free agents.I'm pleased with how Gado performed and can't wait to see him get ready for 2006. However, I feel the Packers will bring back Green and let those two fight it out in training camp. Gado will make for the best Green insurance the Packers can have. If Gado can beat out Green, that will be great too.

(and all of that above is thrown out the window if the Packers get Reggie Bush :D )

Put up 86 all purpose yards and a touch against a Bears defense that just made Vick, Dunn, and Duckett look like chumps.
Dunn had 81 yards rushing and nine yards receiving against the Bears.

Who gives a damn what Ron Wolf says? He's out of football for several years now. He's a knowlegable spectator, nothing more.Gado improved over the several games he played in. He showed some talent and earned himself a contract and a shot at a starting role in next year's training camp. On his best day, he is no where near Green's talent of 2-3 years ago.

Who gives a damn what Ron Wolf says? He's out of football for several years now. He's a knowlegable spectator, nothing more.

Gado improved over the several games he played in. He showed some talent and earned himself a contract and a shot at a starting role in next year's training camp. On his best day, he is no where near Green's talent of 2-3 years ago.
When you consider that that Green of years ago was aided by a Top 5 O-Line in the NFL year in and year out.... :unsure: I would take Gado in an open competition for the starting job in TC next year against Green. :yes:

And it isn't hard to read into that. Green and Davenport are free agents so yes, Gado will go into the OFF-SEASON as the leading candidate to start at halfback while those two are free agents.I'm pleased with how Gado performed and can't wait to see him get ready for 2006. However, I feel the Packers will bring back Green and let those two fight it out in training camp. Gado will make for the best Green insurance the Packers can have. If Gado can beat out Green, that will be great too.

(and all of that above is thrown out the window if the Packers get Reggie Bush :D )
:whistle:

Good call fla\/\/ed. :thumbup:

Who gives a damn what Ron Wolf says? He's out of football for several years now. He's a knowlegable spectator, nothing more.

Gado improved over the several games he played in. He showed some talent and earned himself a contract and a shot at a starting role in next year's training camp. On his best day, he is no where near Green's talent of 2-3 years ago.
Green is nowhere near the talent of Jim Brown 40 years ago, but which would you want if you had to choose RIGHT NOW? Steven Jackson isn't the runner that Faulk was 4 years ago, but he's a better option today.Green 2 or 3 years ago isn't Green right now and that is all that matters. Gado took the same crappy offense and injuries and produced, while Green didn't.

In football you measure worth on numbers, not on nostalgia.

Good call fla\/\/ed. :thumbup:
I agree nice call there.

Green 2 or 3 years ago isn't Green right now and that is all that matters. Gado took the same crappy offense and injuries and produced, while Green didn't.
Its really immaterial. Unless the Packers spend a high pick on a RB this is probably about the best Gado owners could have expected. Now you just have to wait until Green gets hurt and the featured back job is there for the taking. If Green had been out of the picture the Packers would have brought in/kept a handful of younger, more viable options and things would have been much cloudier.

Green 2 or 3 years ago isn't Green right now and that is all that matters. Gado took the same crappy offense and injuries and produced, while Green didn't.
Its really immaterial. Unless the Packers spend a high pick on a RB this is probably about the best Gado owners could have expected. Now you just have to wait until Green gets hurt and the featured back job is there for the taking. If Green had been out of the picture the Packers would have brought in/kept a handful of younger, more viable options and things would have been much cloudier.
Excellent post. I am a Gado owner and I am excited about the Green signing. Gado is raw, another year or two learning the game while getting some reps behind Ahman while the Pack rebuild isn't a bad option.

Green has been hurt for most of the last 2 seasons. While I think that he will never be the back he was a few seasons ago, Gado has not yet shown himself to be on the level that Green was in his prime. I think it is hard to say who will perform better next season.

Gado has not yet shown himself to be on the level that Green was in his prime.
Not trying to be a smart ###, but I'm not sure what the point of this is. Green didn't show it either, until they handed him a starting gig in Green Bay. In my opinion, Gado has demonstrated as much or more than Green did in his limited time in Seattle. It wasn't until Green was brought to Green Bay and became the starter that they really knew what they had. Gado is not even close to his prime, and he is still very raw. I think the Green/Gado mix is a good one for next season. It helps both guys.To try to compare Gado now to Green in his prime doesn't make much sense. I'd rather compare Green in his development years to Gado right now, since that's a better comparison.

Not trying to be a smart ###, but I'm not sure what the point of this is. Green didn't show it either, until they handed him a starting gig in Green Bay.
Green averaged 5.4 YPC with the Seahawks after being a third round pick from Nebraska. So he wasn't exactly handed the job, he was targeted for the role by the Packers based on his college and pro experience. I am probably reading too much into the semantics of your post, but the pedigrees of Gado and Green are worthy of bringing into the discussion.It would be an interesting study to see how many undrafted F/A's have had feature RB roles recently in the NFL, say the last ten years or so...but I doubt any of us have that information at our fingertips and/or are willing to look it up (I know I am not)

It would be an interesting study to see how many undrafted F/A's have had feature RB roles recently in the NFL, say the last ten years or so...
Well one of em just cracked off a 70 yard TD run in the SB :D

Not trying to be a smart ###, but I'm not sure what the point of this is. Green didn't show it either, until they handed him a starting gig in Green Bay.
I am probably reading too much into the semantics of your post, but the pedigrees of Gado and Green are worthy of bringing into the discussion.
Green never had the opportunity in Seattle that Gado had in Green Bay, so it's kind of hard to compare that. And I highly doubt Green Bay could've imagined how well Green was actually going to play.I guess I'm looking at it from a purely developomental aspect. Green had some ability, played at a big time program, and didn't start in Seattle. Gado had some ability, didn't play much at a small time program, and found himself starting in Green Bay. Gado would appear to be very, very raw by comparison. Which is why I'm saying that it is not at all relevant to compare Green in his prime to Gado in his first year of extensive NFL play. Green didn't bust into the league setting the world on fire, it took him time to develop. So if it took a guy from a big time football program a few years to develop in the NFL, why wouldn't that be the case with Gado?

To do what Gado did with limited experience and teaching is pretty interesting, and should turn some heads. Maybe it ends up being a flash in the pan type thing, but a guy just doesnt' show up on an NFL team and play that well without a ton of ability and a tremendous work ethic.

It would be an interesting study to see how many undrafted F/A's have had feature RB roles recently in the NFL, say the last ten years or so...
Well one of em just cracked off a 70 yard TD run in the SB :D
:thumbup: I thought of FWP, but would you label him a "feature back"? He did get more than 50% of his team's carries, so I guess it depends on definition. For arguments' sake, lets say that the criteria. Any others in the past ten years?

Green has been hurt for most of the last 2 seasons. While I think that he will never be the back he was a few seasons ago, Gado has not yet shown himself to be on the level that Green was in his prime. I think it is hard to say who will perform better next season.
:goodposting:

Users who are viewing this thread