What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rosey says Walker WILL NOT be in camp without (1 Viewer)

bigreese82

Footballguy
First time I've seen this strong of words

http://theredzone.org/news/showarticle.asp?ArticleID=2906

Rosenhaus: Walker won't play without new deal

Javon Walker will be a no-show at training camp next week unless the Green Bay Packers agree to give the Pro Bowl receiver a big pay raise or trade him, his agent said Wednesday.

Advertisment

"The Packers say they aren't going to change their position, so we are leaning that way. We're hoping for a change of heart or a trade," Drew Rosenhaus told The Associated Press.

Packers general manager Ted Thompson did not immediately return a call to the AP for comment.

Rosenhaus said the Packers have refused to negotiate with him ever since he first approached the team this spring to tear up Walker's current contract, which has two years remaining and calls for him to make $515,000 this season.

"I haven't had very many holdouts in my career, but I've been unable to get the Packers to commit to any discussion of a new deal," Rosenhaus said. "The Packers have refused to negotiate with us. They expect him to play the year out."

Rosenhaus said that won't happen.

"I can't let this player go out on the field and jeopardize his career for that kind of money. I just can't fathom it," he said in an interview with HBO taped last Friday and scheduled to air next week.

Walker hired Rosenhaus earlier this year after a breakout season in which he caught 89 passes for 1,328 yards and 12 touchdowns.

Walker's holdout threat has drawn the ire of quarterback Brett Favre, who also criticized Rosenhaus for his tactics.

Rosenhaus responded by saying Favre should call him to get all the facts.

Interesting that Rosenhaus leaves no doubt as to Walker's intentions yet puts T.O.'s chances at 50/50...say what you will about Drew, but at least he knows when a team is most definitely not going to budge. :yes:

Interesting that Rosenhaus leaves no doubt as to Walker's intentions yet puts T.O.'s chances at 50/50...say what you will about Drew, but at least he knows when a team is most definitely not going to budge. :yes:
It's a lot easier for a team not to budge when their receiver is 32 and will make close to $7 million, vs. another team's receiver being 27 and making just over $500k.

It's a lot easier for a team not to budge when their receiver is 32 and will make close to $7 million, vs. another team's receiver being 27 and making just over $500k.
:thumbup:

OK, I know this is going to sound stupid...Any chance Green Bay signs Koren Robinson? Yeah, I know, but once you stop laughing, consider that they signed Terry Glenn two years ago. Obviously, that was before Walker started playing well, but if they are concerned he may not be back, or want to put pressure on him (which seems like a pretty popular tactic among teams) maybe they'll consider it.Who else is still available? You gotta wonder if management believes that Favre can make most anyone look better than they are. I really don't think Rosenhaus has as much leverage here as he thinks he does.

OK, I know this is going to sound stupid...

Any chance Green Bay signs Koren Robinson?  Yeah, I know, but once you stop laughing, consider that they signed Terry Glenn two years ago.  Obviously, that was before Walker started playing well, but if they are concerned he may not be back, or want to put pressure on him (which seems like a pretty popular tactic among teams) maybe they'll consider it.

Who else is still available?  You gotta wonder if management believes that Favre can make most anyone look better than they are.  I really don't think Rosenhaus has as much leverage here as he thinks he does.
When Green Bay signed Glenn, they really didn't have much for receivers. Schroeder, Freeman and Bradford were all let go and there were many question marks surround their WR corps. Fergy was a 2nd year guy with alot of hopes placed on him and it was Walker's rookie year. That was also the year Driver made a name for himself, but prior to that, his best season was 21/322/1. Glenn was needed much more that year than KRob is needed now.With or without Walker, I think Driver should have another solid year. The real question now, assuming Walker misses a significant amount of time, is Fergy staying healthy. If he does, he'll benefit the most, IMO. Chatman is entering his second year and had the best mini camp of all WR's, and arguable the best of all offensive players. There were afew guys missing and Chatman did have to come out proving himself, but the word I've been hearing out of Green Bay is that he has improved quite a bit and should make a great #3/#4 WR for them. Murphy will probably take on the role similar to what Walker had in 2002. Learn the book.

Without Walker, the WR corps doesn't look as good, and not trying to be too optomistic, but I would rate them a decent amount higher than the squad this time during 2002. With Thompson making all the final calls now, I'm not sure how interested he may be about acquiring KRob. He was the vice president of football operations for the Seattle Seahawks when they drafted KRob, but I'm not sure how much say he had with that pick. He is certainly familiar with him though, however, I don't see it happening unless he signs for cheap. Dirt cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
This would be a travesty to my team. I really am counting on Walker this year as I was last year too. Please Walker and the Packers meet in the middle and make everyone happy. I know Favre has been good in the past with mediocre WR's but for GB to have any hope this year of making a playoff run they really need Walker in the mix. Their Defense is brutal and there only hope is scoring more points then the other teams they face and w/o Walker I am afraid they are in big trouble.

This would be a travesty to my team. I really am counting on Walker this year as I was last year too. Please Walker and the Packers meet in the middle and make everyone happy. I know Favre has been good in the past with mediocre WR's but for GB to have any hope this year of making a playoff run they really need Walker in the mix. Their Defense is brutal and there only hope is scoring more points then the other teams they face and w/o Walker I am afraid they are in big trouble.
Meet in the middle? What kind of precedent would that set for others?The Packers have no cap room to meet his demands and they made this known before. After last year, I was a fan of Walker but when athletes pull stuff like this, its such a deterrent.

Before you can ask for more money, prove that you can continue putting up 2004 numbers. He's no better than McCardell pulling his crap. I applaud Favre for calling him out.

Walker is not bigger than the team and the Packers and Favre are making this known. They have said they will contnue on without him as they should. I hope the Packers do not give in one iota.

Meet in the middle? What kind of precedent would that set for others?The Packers have no cap room to meet his demands and they made this known before. After last year, I was a fan of Walker but when athletes pull stuff like this, its such a deterrent.

Before you can ask for more money, prove that you can continue putting up 2004 numbers. He's no better than McCardell pulling his crap. I applaud Favre for calling him out.
He doesn't have to continue putting up 2004 numbers to be paid commensurate with his production/talent. He's something like the 49th highest paid WR.

I'm not sure what side to take in this Walker situation. I support the team in not wanting to and not being real capable of even giving him what he is asking for, but Walker does deserve more than what he's getting now. I'd also like to see him stay and play out his prime in Green Bay and give Rodgers a stud to learn with. I do probably lean more with the team since there are much better ways about getting an extension than what Walker and Rosenhaus are doing. Example: Al Harris and Mike McKenzie last year. One showed up to camp, kept working hard and being a team player and also kept the contract talk away from the media, while the other held out and made a media frenzy of it.

Walker is not bigger than the team and the Packers and Favre are making this known. They have said they will contnue on without him as they should. I hope the Packers do not give in one iota.
I agree. Walker has zero leverage here and it's a damn shame that he's allowing Rosenhaus to severely impact his career with this stance. The bottom line is Walker has had one good season and now he wants to be paid Top 5 WR money? That's absurd. Besides, the Packers have demonstrated numerous times that they are more than willing to negotiate and extend a player's contract when he's in the final year of his deal. All Walker has to do is come back, prove last season wasn't a fluke (and I don't believe it was) and he'll get his money. He has no leverage here and Thompson wisely bolstered the team's depth at WR probably sensing something like this could occur. Driver is a Pro Bowl-caliber WR; Ferguson has been a bust for the most part but he's a former second-round pick and much more talented than a lot of guys Favre has had success with in the past. And the Packers are very high on Murphy. The Packers will obviously be better with Walker but Favre has had much worse WR groups to work with before and put up big numbers so I think the Packers are doing the right thing by telling Walker that he's free to sit at home and they'll go on without him.

I really hope Thompson doesn't blink or cave in and make a bad trade. Make Walker sit out the whole season if he wants. If he's that stupid to allow Rosenhaus to muck up his career in such a manner that's too damn bad.

He doesn't have to continue putting up 2004 numbers to be paid commensurate with his production/talent. He's something like the 49th highest paid WR.
I don't quite understand your point. He's a third year player on his rookie contract, hence the 49th WR.

I really hope Thompson doesn't blink or cave in and make a bad trade. Make Walker sit out the whole season if he wants. If he's that stupid to allow Rosenhaus to muck up his career in such a manner that's too damn bad.
I feel the same way here. I'd hate to see this thing end by Green Bay trading him.

a really simple solution for both sides could have been an incentive laden deal. the trouble is, walker probably wouldnt have taken it. His attitude is the same as so many me first athletes. I would be willing to bet he could have renegotated a deal that paid him great money if he performed the same way he did.but as it stands right now the packers should just hand walker a picture of marcus robinson, and cross their arms.

I don't quite understand your point. He's a third year player on his rookie contract, hence the 49th WR.
He also took a higher signing bonus up front as part of his rookie contract knowing full well the ramifications of what could happen at this point in the contract. He's trying to have it both ways and the Packers are doing the right thing by refusing to re-negotiate with him at this time.

Does this sound anything like Portis when he had 2 years left on his rookie contract with DEN? Rosenhaus pulled the same crap.He may get "only" $.5M this year (such a travesty), but if he doesn't play, that's $.5M he'll never make up & he'll be one year further down his career. I wonder if GB is offering a huge Lloyd's of London policy like DEN did with Portis in case of catastrophic injury (I think it was $17M in Portis' case).Stupid, stupid, stupid.I wonder if WAS has another 2nd rounder lying around...BTW - Walker's original contract: "Only" $9.5M with a $3M signing bonus for 6 years signed as a rookie. Man, my heart is breaking the way he' being screwed. Funny how Walker didn't offer to give some of that back to GB when he posted a 319 yd, 1 TD rookie year.One other thought: Favre has done a lot with a lot worse WR crew than this one, and 2 rooks could take up some slack - Murphy has reportedly looked really good & Bragg may be a very pleasant late surprise - he put up some great numbers with a really crappy UCLA team. GB just may let Walker sit for the year - I wonder how that will cramp his style?

I think Rosenhaus is just trying to milk the fact that for a few minutes today, all of us read the article about him performing CPR on the kid in the pool and forgot that he's pure evil :hot:

This is one thing I miss from living in Green Bay... the Packers coverage around the state sucks unless you are right in the city. Many people I speak with think they know the Packers but you have to live in the area to really know them. Could the people living in Green Bay, De Pere, Appleton agree with me here?I am a Walker dynasty owner as well as a Packer fan but I hope the Packers stand strong here. If the Packers break then Owens gets more leverage... very little but some. If the Eagles crack then Walker gets more leverage. The good thing about all this is that Boldin appears to be set to go to camp and kind of say "screw you" to Rosenhaus. The bad thing about this is that Walker will come walking in week 8 ready to play so 2005 can count on his contract and then only have 1 year left and demand an amount that the Packers cannot give him and force a trade. To bad because he was well liked around Green Bay and had endorsement deals in the area. Subway pulled the plug on him soon after his intentions were known a couple months back. Please let the Packers stand strong. GO MURPHY!!

Does this sound anything like Portis when he had 2 years left on his rookie contract with DEN? Rosenhaus pulled the same crap.He may get "only" $.5M this year (such a travesty), but if he doesn't play, that's $.5M he'll never make up & he'll be one year further down his career.
I think if Walker was on the open market right now he'd be making at a MINIMUM 4M a year. He won't make 4M combined the next two years (or anything close to that actually), so holding out the entire season and signing with another team next year would definitely be the better financial move.

I think it's in the best interest of Green Bay management to reward players that grossly overplay their contracts. It's a bad precedent to avoid giving that incentive IMO.

Does this sound anything like Portis when he had 2 years left on his rookie contract with DEN? Rosenhaus pulled the same crap.

He may get "only" $.5M this year (such a travesty), but if he doesn't play, that's $.5M he'll never make up & he'll be one year further down his career.
I think if Walker was on the open market right now he'd be making at a MINIMUM 4M a year. He won't make 4M combined the next two years (or anything close to that actually), so holding out the entire season and signing with another team next year would definitely be the better financial move.
He can't sign with another team next year. He'll still be under contract with the Packers. He's not going anywhere unless the Packers trade him.

I think it's in the best interest of Green Bay management to reward players that grossly overplay their contracts. It's a bad precedent to avoid giving that incentive IMO.
It's a far worse precedent to start allowing re-negotiations with players who have two years left on their deals. That will open up a Pandora's box that would have devastating results.And I'd be far more inclined to side with Walker if he hadn't agreed to take more money up front as part of his rookie contract. Again, he can't have it both ways.

he is right where he started if he sits out the whole season. his rights are still retained by the pack. He can keep sitting out and it wont matter. he will always have to go to square 1. this is not like if a rookie wants to reenter the draft.

It's a far worse precedent to start allowing re-negotiations with players who have two years left on their deals. That will open up a Pandora's box that would have devastating results.And I'd be far more inclined to side with Walker if he hadn't agreed to take more money up front as part of his rookie contract. Again, he can't have it both ways.
It doesn't have to be a bad precedent, and I think most teams would be happy if their draft picks turn out to have a top 5 season at the position (which Walker had last year). You could argue it's a worse precedent to not reward greatness.I'm not saying Walker should get a T.O. contract, but a 1 or 2M raise might have made this situation a whole lot easier.

Does this sound anything like Portis when he had 2 years left on his rookie contract with DEN? Rosenhaus pulled the same crap.

He may get "only" $.5M this year (such a travesty), but if he doesn't play, that's $.5M he'll never make up & he'll be one year further down his career.
He can't sign with another team next year. He'll still be under contract with the Packers. He's not going anywhere unless the Packers trade him.
Hmm...you're right. I suppose if he does sit out the year though, Green Bay may trade him in the off-season ala Henry.

This would be a travesty to my team.  I really am counting on Walker this year as I was last year too.  Please Walker and the Packers meet in the middle and make everyone happy.  I know Favre has been good in the past with mediocre WR's but for GB to have any hope this year of making a playoff run they really need Walker in the mix.  Their Defense is brutal and there only hope is scoring more points then the other teams they face and w/o Walker I am afraid they are in big trouble.

It doesn't have to be a bad precedent, and I think most teams would be happy if their draft picks turn out to have a top 5 season at the position (which Walker had last year). You could argue it's a worse precedent to not reward greatness.I'm not saying Walker should get a T.O. contract, but a 1 or 2M raise might have made this situation a whole lot easier.
Do you seriously think if the Packers came to him and offered him 2.5 M this year that he would be happy? He would laugh at them and want much more. His thoughts would be "hey, if they went up 2 mil maybe they will go up another 2 mil." BS... have him sit out and not get any money and let Rosenhaus complain and complain because right now he is representing a client, Walker, and not getting one penny. That is the laugher in all of this... he is working for free... for now.

It doesn't have to be a bad precedent, and I think most teams would be happy if their draft picks turn out to have a top 5 season at the position (which Walker had last year). You could argue it's a worse precedent to not reward greatness.
The Packers will almost certainly reward Walker if he goes out and has another great season and proves last season wasn't a fluke. I love Walker's talent, don't get me wrong but he is not a Top 5 WR. He is a WR who has had one great season. There's a significant difference and it's one the Packers clearly understand but Walker and Rosenhaus don't. Rosenhaus is p*****g with this kid's career and it's really a shame he doesn't seem to realize it.

When you say he is WR49 in terms of pay, are you factoring in only base salary or are you also counting his prorated signing bonus? I am guessing you aren't counting the bonus.He has played three years. In the first, he grossly underplayed his contract (WR94). In the second, he probably played to the level of the contract (WR21) or perhaps slightly overplayed it. Last year, he grossly overplayed it (WR2). Nice trend, to be sure, but I fail to see where he has grossly overplayed his contract when you take into account his entire career to date.

If he were to play very well again this year, that would prove last year wasn't a fluke and then I, and probably the Packers, would agree with you and sign him to a lucrative extension next offseason, still one year before the end of his current contract.

Do you seriously think if the Packers came to him and offered him 2.5 M this year that he would be happy? He would laugh at them and want much more. His thoughts would be "hey, if they went up 2 mil maybe they will go up another 2 mil." BS... have him sit out and not get any money and let Rosenhaus complain and complain because right now he is representing a client, Walker, and not getting one penny. That is the laugher in all of this... he is working for free... for now.
I seriously think if the Packers came to him and offered him 2.5M this year he'd have two less legs to stand on in my book. Like I said I don't think he deserves a huge Randy Moss/Marvin Harrison contract extension; but he probably does deserve a nice bonus.If you think he would just turn down the bonus, then I'll probably side with you.

To be clear, we're in complete agreement on this. Which was my initial point. Rosenhaus understands that the Eagels want TO certainly, but that a) he's already paid A LOT, b) the Eagles have done very well without him with this current roster, and c) the Eagles management have a history of being stalwart in their veteran negotiations. The Packers haven't been tested like this, and, as many have pointed out, Walker truly does deserve quite a bit more based on his production.

A point I haven't seen yet that I've been considering is the Favre factor. If he keeps holding out and pissing Favre off who's to say Favre won't just say, "#### Javon". I mean, last time I checked Walker can get open every play and if Favre doesn't want to throw him the ball he can't do anything. If he holds out, comes in late, and Favre throws him 40 balls all year that would certainly effect his contract negotiations. The point I'm trying to make is he REALLY shouldn't mess with the man that holds his entire career in his hands. If Favre wants to screw Javon over, he could very easily by just throwing to Driver more.

Let's also not forget that GB has been through this scenario with a WR before.When FBOC Freeman had a couple of great seasons in '97 & '98, GB bumped up his salary significantly & got a complete lack of effort & caring in return. That contract haunted them for a few years, I think.So you've got a team hard up against the salary with a player under a legit contract, where the team has been burned badly once recently in this scenario, with an agent using guerrilla tactics with not one but two of his clients on the same team.That's not a recipe for successful negotiations, IMO. And there's no way GB can cave. With 4 players pulling the same stunt, if they give an inch with one, all four will want the same treatment, which means they'll have to make dramatic cuts to get under the cap that will decimate the team.

:goodposting: eff Walker and Rosenscum.

I heard this morning and I hope it's true, that the Packers sent Rosenscum a letter saying they won't renegotiate and won't let them seek a trade. I hope they don't budge one effing inch here.

:finger: to Walker and Rosenscum :rant:

There's another factor in play here.NFL teams have to loath Rosenhaus for the way he handles negotiations. He takes over for a player from the player's former agent & immediately wants a contract renegotiation. We've seen this quite a few times recently as players have been jumping on the Rosenhaus bandwagon.DEN held the line with Portis, but Snyder caved & offered huge $$$ and a deal that DEN couldn't refuse, so they dealt him. Snyder is a rogue owner who is quickly showing that he doesn't understand football very well. The rest of the owners are predominantly close as far as unity and the state of the game and keeping the NFL successful.It wouldn't surprise me in the least if GB & PHI have been talking, as well as a few other owners, and they have decided that they will hold the line against Rosenhaus, forcing his players to either sit out for a season (losing significant $$$ as well as another year in what are already relatively short careers) or cave into to their existing contracts - making Rosenhaus' grand speeches of enrichment if the players come on board with him nothing more than a con game.Either way, Rosenhaus loses huge face, which ought to have a significant impact on his ability to accumulate a huge stable of players. I would be hard pressed to believe that there isn't some holding of the line amongst NFL owners against this arrogant, smug ***** - and that stand is being made right now.It's almost an ideal situation for this. GB & PHI are both blue-collar cities where most fans can't fathom players carping about how underpaid they are as the fans go to work in their factories or wood mills. Rosenhaus & the players are going to get very little sympathy. Both teams are also pretty well set for decent seasons even with the 3 players holding out - they won't lose ticket sales because of the rabid fan loyalty to the team and neither team will go in the tank without their respective holding out players.Other agents hate Rosenhaus, so cries of collusion aren't going to be very loud, if they are made at all. Rosenhaus & his underhanded tactics at acquiring players from other agents & negotiating though the press are not going to gain him sympathy or support amongst his peers.I think Rosenhaus is caught in a game of chicken that he can't win here - and I have to say that it's really nice to see. Just desserts, Drew, my friend, just desserts...

Walker is not bigger than the team and the Packers and Favre are making this known.  They have said they will contnue on without him as they should.  I hope the Packers do not give in one iota.
:goodposting: eff Walker and Rosenscum.

I heard this morning and I hope it's true, that the Packers sent Rosenscum a letter saying they won't renegotiate and won't let them seek a trade. I hope they don't budge one effing inch here.

:finger: to Walker and Rosenscum :rant:
That's nice to say but Walker, making what he makes, has a legitimate gripe. It's common NFL practice to redo rookie deals a year or two before they're up, particularly when the player has so handily exceeded the terms of that contract. Again, there is a TON of precedent here...it's not an exception but the norm for NFL teams to redo deals like this.

Much different IMHO than the T.O. situation where he begged to come to this team specifically and then signed a SEVEN YEAR contract that made him, over the first two years at least, one of the highest paid at his position.

This is such an ignorant statement, especially coming from someone who supposedly knows the NFL and how it works. :thumbdown: He made how many millions already? His rookie contract which he still has 2 years left, was for $7.5 Million. The first 2 years he did nothing and got paid big bucks. Last year he had an awesome year. So he's to get $500+k this year, $600+k next year. the first 3 years he probably made near $1 Million total. Lets do the math here: $7.5 Million contract around 1-2Million for the 5yrs for his yearly salary combined. That leave's a signing bonus of close to or over $5 Million. All that for maybe 2-3 good years. Only ONE and a half so far. He got all of his cash upfront, before he even stepped on the field.

So tell me again why he's being UNDERpaid????

He's Not - Let him sit

This is such an ignorant statement, especially coming from someone who supposedly knows the NFL and how it works. :thumbdown: He made how many millions already? His rookie contract which he still has 2 years left, was for $7.5 Million. The first 2 years he did nothing and got paid big bucks. Last year he had an awesome year. So he's to get $500+k this year, $600+k next year. the first 3 years he probably made near $1 Million total. Lets do the math here: $7.5 Million contract around 1-2Million for the 5yrs for his yearly salary combined. That leave's a signing bonus of close to or over $5 Million. All that for maybe 2-3 good years. Only ONE and a half so far. He got all of his cash upfront, before he even stepped on the field.

He's Not - Let him sit
Rosenhaus is betting they can't or won't...and kudos to the Packers if they stick to their guns because the team is on tenuous ground as it is. I don't see how the Packers can compete for a playoff spot this year anyway, and Mike Sherman is a lame duck to boot, so maybe new GM Ted Thompson WILL consider trading Walker or letting him sit to prove a point, :shrug:

This would be a travesty to my team.  I really am counting on Walker this year as I was last year too.  Please Walker and the Packers meet in the middle and make everyone happy.  I know Favre has been good in the past with mediocre WR's but for GB to have any hope this year of making a playoff run they really need Walker in the mix.  Their Defense is brutal and there only hope is scoring more points then the other teams they face and w/o Walker I am afraid they are in big trouble.

Chase you really don't get it do you?Wow have I over-rated your knowledge of how the NFL works.

Again, there is a TON of precedent here...it's not an exception but the norm for NFL teams to redo deals like this.
No, Jason, there isn't a ton of precedent here. Not with multiple years left on the contract, especially a rookie contract.You see well heeled vets renegotiate before the last year of their contract, but that's usually to get a long term back loaded contract with a hefty signing bonus to free up cap space for the team. That helps both parties - the older player knows that they most likely won't be with the team in the later years when the backloaded huge salary numbers kick in - but they trade that off for a big signing bonus up front. The team gets more space under the cap. It's kind of a wink-wink win-win for both sides.Most GMs won't get into renegotiating rookie contracts that early mostly because of the salary cap - the players want much bigger contracts than originally signed, which busts the team's cap number. If renegotiations of a rookie contract take place, it is predominantly done in their last year - where the team can make cap adjustments for the future.And many GMs stand very firm with this rule on rookie contracts. They know the consequences to their team and ultimately the league if they don't.

He's Not - Let him sit
Rosenhaus is betting they can't or won't...and kudos to the Packers if they stick to their guns because the team is on tenuous ground as it is. I don't see how the Packers can compete for a playoff spot this year anyway, and Mike Sherman is a lame duck to boot, so maybe new GM Ted Thompson WILL consider trading Walker or letting him sit to prove a point, :shrug:
I agree with you here. But I don't see them renegotiating. Thompson has his sights set on the future, not today. He has a lame duck head coach like you said, and a QB who is nearing the end. He won't mortgage his future for one guy right now. They are up against a wall in the salary cap anyway.Favre has shown he can make an unknown WR into a star. He will again. they have some nice talent just waiting for a chance.

Again, there is a TON of precedent here...it's not an exception but the norm for NFL teams to redo deals like this.
No, Jason, there isn't a ton of precedent here. Not with multiple years left on the contract, especially a rookie contract.You see well heeled vets renegotiate before the last year of their contract, but that's usually to get a long term back loaded contract with a hefty signing bonus to free up cap space for the team. That helps both parties - the older player knows that they most likely won't be with the team in the later years when the backloaded huge salary numbers kick in - but they trade that off for a big signing bonus up front. The team gets more space under the cap. It's kind of a wink-wink win-win for both sides.

Most GMs won't get into renegotiating rookie contracts that early mostly because of the salary cap - the players want much bigger contracts than originally signed, which busts the team's cap number. If renegotiations of a rookie contract take place, it is predominantly done in their last year - where the team can make cap adjustments for the future.

And many GMs stand very firm with this rule on rookie contracts. They know the consequences to their team and ultimately the league if they don't.
:goodposting:

One thing people seem to be forgetting here is that the man behind him, Robert Ferguson, makes a ton more than him.LINK

...signed a four-year contract extension worth $10.87 million, including a $3.5 million signing bonus, on June 28. Ferguson reduced his 2004 base salary from $481,250 to $455,000 as part of the deal, saving the Packers some room under the cap. His cap number, however, will rise from $820,000 to $1.155 million due to the size of the signing bonus in 2004. His base salary will rise to $545,000 in 2005; $1.4 million in 2006; $1.8 million in 2007 and $2.2 million in 2008. He's scheduled to receive a $1 million roster bonus leading into the 2005 season.
That being said, this contract was given to Ferguson before the FINAL year of his contract and after going 38/520/4. Thats right, roughly half the catches and roughly a third of the yards and touchtowns (89/1382/12) as Walker in '04. If Walker can put up huge numbers again this year, the precedence has been set to give a contract extension to a receiver going into the final year of his contract...and at 2 to 3 times the stats Fergie put up, I can see the Pack rewarding him well....but NEXT year.As a Packer homer, I am a bit torn on this issue as I don't want to see them get screwed under the salary cap for the next few years and at the same time I think they need Walker to defend their NFC North crown.

Playing out a rookie contract is not that unusual. Look at Duece Mcallister. I think he played for less than a half million last year and is making about the same this year, yet no talk of holding out to the detriment of the team. Let me assure you that Duece has more value to the Saints than Walker will ever have to any team. He has been paid enough to warrant showing up.

Users who are viewing this thread