What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rudi Johnson (1 Viewer)

You clearly want to like Rudi. I'm done trying to disuade you because the "fun" part of fantasy football is drafting guys you like. Draft him and don't look back....gained 11% of his total yardage for the year on 2 carries....went 17/55 against San Diego (25th rush D) and 11/30 against St. Louis (21st rush D) and 29/103 against Cleveland (23rd rush D, 2 games).
This has nothing to do with whether or not I want to like Rudi.For your list of his THREE "bad" games, you included a game where he had 11 carries.So that leaves me with your position being the following: Rudi Johnson is overrated because he had 2 bad games in his first year with significant playing time. :bag:

I remember hearing something around ESPM.com that Clayton or Pasquerelli (sp?) said that the Bengals are going to use Rudi Johnson like the biggest workhorse in the league because of releiving pressure off of Carson Palmer, especially in the first half of the season, and also because they plan to use Perry as their feature back after this season. Anyone else read that article?

Rudi had 5 clunkers out of 6 to close the season. The offense stunk in 3 out of those 6 because of the lack of ability to run. Was it Rudi? Was it the O-Line? Ask yourself, what's changed? What's changed for the better?
:bag: This thread is exhausting.Please show me where those 5 clunkers were. In fact, feel free to post the stats. Let's see how many carries he had during those clunkers. Let's see how many carries Dillon had during those clunkers.

Rudi had 5 clunkers out of 6 to close the season. The offense stunk in 3 out of those 6 because of the lack of ability to run. Was it Rudi? Was it the O-Line? Ask yourself, what's changed? What's changed for the better?
:bag: This thread is exhausting.Please show me where those 5 clunkers were. In fact, feel free to post the stats. Let's see how many carries he had during those clunkers. Let's see how many carries Dillon had during those clunkers.
OKay. Clunker 1: Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc). CLunker 2: Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).Clunker 3: Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)Clunker 4: week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)Clunker 5: Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).Thanks for asking for this comparison. I like Rudi even less now in the 2nd round. Colin

Rudi had 5 clunkers out of 6 to close the season.  The offense stunk in 3 out of those 6 because of the lack of ability to run.  Was it Rudi?  Was it the O-Line?  Ask yourself, what's changed?  What's changed for the better?
OKay. Clunker 1: Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc). CLunker 2: Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).Clunker 3: Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)Clunker 4: week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)Clunker 5: Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).Thanks for asking for this comparison. I like Rudi even less now in the 2nd round. Colin
Anyone know the exact situations for each one of rudi's carries in these situations? Ambiguous stats like these don't help much. It seems as if they may have been using Rudi as a possible goalline back and in short yardage situations. If he had two touchdowns in a game and a less than stellar ypc, it seems that they were more or less using him in short yardage and red-zone situations where his ypc didn't have much of a chance to be that great to begin with.

I'm projectioning 320 carries, 1250 yards and 6 rushing TDs for Rudi. He'll get some passes thrown his way (2-3/game).Decent mid- to Late second round pick. Probably no up-side to that projection. Big downside if he splts carries with the rookie.
:goodposting:

Week 17, for instance, Rudi Johnson did not play steadily for the entire game. Most of the time that he was in, he was only in for one or two plays, and was cold on almost every run he had in the first half. He was only in consistantly for one series, and he played pretty good in that series.

Cincinnati Bengals at 02:59 1-10-CIN36 (2:59) P.Warrick left end ran ob at CIN 38 for 2 yards (R. Williams). {End around} 2-8-CIN38 (2:35) J.Kitna pass to Ru.Johnson to 50 for 12 yards (E. Little). 1-10-50 (1:51) Ru.Johnson up the middle to CLV 46 for 4 yards (E. Little; Andra Davis). 2-6-CLE46 (1:11) Ru.Johnson left tackle to CLV 41 for 5 yards (Andra Davis). 3-1-CLE41 :-)25) J.Kitna pass to T.Stewart to CLV 32 for 9 yards (B. Boyer; K. Bentley). Fourth Quarter Cincinnati Bengals continued... 1-10-CLE32 (15:00) J.Kitna pass incomplete to T.Stewart. PENALTY on CLV-K. Lang, Face Mask (15 Yards), 15 yards, enforced at CLV 32 - No Play. 1-10-CLE17 (14:55) Ru.Johnson right tackle to CLV 17 for no gain (B. Boyer). 2-10-CLE17 (14:15) Ru.Johnson right guard to CLV 8 for 9 yards (B. Boyer). 3-1-CLE8 (13:39) Ru.Johnson right tackle to CLV 5 for 3 yards (B. Boyer). 1-5-CLE5 (12:59) J.Kitna pass to C.Johnson to CLV 2 for 3 yards (Andra Davis; K. Bentley). 2-2-CLE2 (12:20) Ru.Johnson left tackle for 2 yards, TOUCHDOWN. S.Graham extra point is GOOD, Center-B.St. Louis, Holder-K.Richardson.
In this drive, Rudi had 6 carries for 23 yards and 1 reception for 12 yards. This was the only drive where he played consistantly, the entire game. That's a 3.83 ypc mark when he gets a steady amount of carries. If Rudi plays lot consistantly in 2004, as I expect, he should put up better numbers than shown here. Also, note that two of the carries here were in short yardage situations, noting the "3 & 1" and the "2 & goal" at the 2 yard line. -BC

Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).
Looks like Travis Henry again.
Do you have anything constructive to add? TIA.Colin
Yes, and maybe you'll be able to figure it out at some point.It could just be that I feel Rudi Johnson and Travis Henry are very similar backs that will have very similar numbers in rushing, receiving, and TD's this year.

I suspect that we'll see (Domanick) Davis start but Hollings get lots of work. In the end, I don't see a scenario where Davis sends Hollings and Mack (when he returns to good health) to the bench for good.

HERD - October, 2003
Think you'll fare any better with your Rudi/Perry prognostication? If guys you keep predicting to underperform continue to turn into studs, you're going to start developing a curdled rep around here. :goodposting:

Here's another example, week 16

1-10-CIN20 (14:08) Ru.Johnson right tackle to CIN 20 for no gain (G.Wistrom). 2-10-CIN20 (13:34) Ru.Johnson right end to CIN 36 for 16 yards (J.Sehorn). 1-10-CIN39 (12:58) J.Kitna pass to Ru.Johnson to CIN 39 for 3 yards (T.Polley). PENALTY on SL-L.Little, Roughing the Passer, 15 yards, enforced at CIN 39. 1-10-STL46 (12:46) PENALTY on CIN-L.Jones, False Start, 5 yards, enforced at SL 46 - No Play. 1-15-CIN49 (12:27) J.Kitna pass to K.Washington to SL 39 for 12 yards (A.Archuleta). 2-3-STL39 (11:53) Ru.Johnson right tackle to SL 35 for 4 yards (A.Archuleta). 1-10-STL35 (11:15) J.Kitna pass incomplete to T.Stewart. 2-10-STL35 (11:10) J.Johnson up the middle to SL 29 for 6 yards (D.Lewis). 3-4-STL29 (10:45) B.Bennett right tackle to SL 23 for 6 yards (R.Coady). 1-10-STL23 (9:56) J.Kitna pass to T.Stewart to SL 2 for 21 yards (A.Archuleta). 1-2-STL2 (9:19) Ru.Johnson right tackle to SL 2 for no gain (J.Duncan). 2-2-STL2 (8:39) J.Kitna pass incomplete to T.Stewart. 3-2-STL2 (8:34) J.Kitna pass intended for K.Washington INTERCEPTED by J.Butler at SL -5. J.Butler to SL 8 for 13 yards (M.Goff).
4 rushes for 20 yards & 1 catch for 3 yards, on this series, Rudi had 4 rushes for 20 yards, although the stats are a bit skewed because of the long run, the fact remains that when Rudi gets steady plays, he will produce. He also had a reception. The rest of the game, Rudi had 11 carries for 30 yards, which is about a 2.72 ypc mark. But that's including when he had maybe one or two plays per drive when Cincy was using Brandon Bennett and Cory Dillon. If he gets consecutive plays, and doesn't have a chance to get cold during the game, Rudi will perform at a higher level this year.

Think you'll fare any better with your Rudi/Perry prognostication? If guys you keep predicting to underperform continue to turn into studs, you're going to start developing a curdled rep around here. :goodposting:
Hey Grouse,I just check out the footblog in your sig. Nice, is this your personal blog?

If Rudi only gets 65% of that total productivity, that's 1,300 rushing yards. Frankly, with their current roster of backs, I would not be surprised to see him get upwards of 75% of that productivity, that's 1,500 rushing yards, leaving about 400 for Perry and 100 in scraps for Hicks and company.
You know, it never ceases to amaze me how little people actually understand the game of football, but how many FFers think that they are experts because they watch a few games and follow the individual stats of some players.A good example is this "75%" of the carries notion. Very, very few RBs get 75%, or even close to 75% of their team's rushes in the regular season. For example, here are the 30 top rushers last year with the percentage of their respective team's total rushing attempts they accounted for:Player Ricky Williams 80%Curtis Martin 79%Deuce McAllister 78%Travis Henry 78%LaDainian Tomlinson 75%Shaun Alexander 72%Tiki Barber 72%Priest Holmes 72%Fred Taylor 72%Jamal Lewis 70%Ahman Green 70%Edgerrin James 68%Eddie George 64%Stephen Davis 61%Marcel Shipp 57%Domanick Davis 57%Jerome Bettis 55%Anthony Thomas 55%Clinton Portis 53%Troy Hambrick 53%Marshall Faulk 51%T.J. Duckett 45%Rudi Johnson 45%Michael Pittman 44%Kevan Barlow 40%Antowain Smith 38%Tyrone Wheatley 38%Garrison Hearst 36%Moe Williams 35%Warrick Dunn 29%If Johnson is one of the top 15 workhorses in the league - which I seriously doubt, considering that I think Perry will be an impact rookie, given Johnson's penchant so far to lay eggs on the road & in the division (especially in the division - which are huge games), he would still get less than 60% of the carries that the Bengals generate.Now, knowing that, try out your projections again.

Last edited by a moderator:
Colin,I think it will make it a lot easier on us if you tell us where you have him ranked, and what players you have ahead of him. Then we can have a reference point for what players you feel should be drafted ahead of him. Thanks :goodposting:

You might want to reword what you wrote. I understand what you are saying and unless I'm mistaken, it's should read the team's "total carries", not "rushing yards".Portis had 53% of the teams carries (290/543), but had 60.5% of the teams rushing yards (1591/2629).
Thanks, you are right, of course. It is percentage of rushing attempts. Many thanks, I'll edit.*** - Post editBTW, here are the league's 30 leading rushers by percentage of their team's total rushing production (essentially the same statement I was making earlier, also BTW):Player Deuce McAllister 82%Travis Henry 81%Jamal Lewis 77%LaDainian Tomlinson 77%Fred Taylor 76%Ricky Williams 76%Edgerrin James 74%Priest Holmes 74%Ahman Green 74%Shaun Alexander 71%Stephen Davis 69%Eddie George 64%Domanick Davis 62%Tiki Barber 61%Clinton Portis 61%Anthony Thomas 58%Marshall Faulk 55%Jerome Bettis 55%Marcel Shipp 54%Kevan Barlow 51%Curtis Martin 65%Troy Hambrick 49%Rudi Johnson 48%Michael Pittman 46%T.J. Duckett 40%Antowain Smith 40%Garrison Hearst 48%Tyrone Wheatley 37%Warrick Dunn 34%Moe Williams 32%

Colin,I think it will make it a lot easier on us if you tell us where you have him ranked, and what players you have ahead of him. Then we can have a reference point for what players you feel should be drafted ahead of him. Thanks :goodposting:
Sure. My recent contribution to the Football Guys rankings (July 7th) has Rudi ranked 17th among RBs, 19th overall. Since those rankings were submitted, I've begun tweaking my projections in earnest and now have Rudi ranked 21st (T) among RBs and 26th overall. Here are the players surrounding him in my rankings...RBs - 19. Michael Bennett 20. Brian Westbrook 21. Duce Staley 21. Rudi Johnson 23. Julius Jones 24. Kevin Jones 25. Charlie Garner. (Not using PPR scoring)Overall-Moss, Culpepper, Harrison, and Holt are ranked ahead of Rudi in my projections, allowing for his bump to 26th.

So you're showing us every time he gets the ball 20 or more times he is good for over 100 yards? Except for once, but he did get 69yds and a TD that 1, repeat ONE game with 20+ touches that he failed to surpass 100yds.
20 carries a game over the course of a season is 320 carries. 9 backs did that last season. Only 13 had more than 300. If you're using "When Rudi gets over 20 carries, he's golden!" as you're measuring stick, I'd advise you to be cautious. Colin
So let's lower the number then. Instead of using the 20-carry mark as a measuring stick for Johnson, let's go with ... 15 carries a game. That projects to 240 carries a season and seems to be a reasonable average for Rudi - especially for those folks who believe Perry is going to eat up a lot of carries this season. And using last year's numbers as a gauge, if Rudi got 240 carries, that would only be 50 percent of the carries, so the number would seem to be a fair one to use when trying to evaluate Johnson's potential. So looking back at the 2003 season, Johnson had seven games with at least 15 carries. Of those seven games, he only two clunkers -- 15-51 vs. Cleveland and 17-55 vs. San Diego. His other five starts ranged from good to off the charts. And in the game where he had 14 carries and was shut down in terms of yardage, he scored 2 TDs, making him a fantastic start that week. In other words, when Johnson gets at least 15 carries in a game he is a rock solid fantasy starting option 71 percent of the time. Given how he is the incumbent starter heading into camp, I think it's safe to assume he'll get no fewer than 15 carries a game and if that's the case based on what he did a year ago, he projects to be a very good RB2 in most leagues. Also, you mention how Dillon twice came back from injury last season and was given his job back. That's very true. But what happened both times? Rudi outperformed him. That's something that should be taken into strong consideration by all those who believe Perry is going to stake a major claim to action in the Bengals' backfield this season.

The Bengals generated about 2,000 yards of rushing offense last year - 13th in the league. Assuming Carson can at least hold the line in the passing game, I expect a similarly productive Bengals offense this year.If Rudi only gets 65% of that total productivity, that's 1,300 rushing yards. Frankly, with their current roster of backs, I would not be surprised to see him get upwards of 75% of that productivity, that's 1,500 rushing yards, leaving about 400 for Perry and 100 in scraps for Hicks and company.Add on a few hundred yards receiving and double digit total TDs and you have a great back that's generally going in the mid to late 2nd round.Great value.
TME, that analysis is flawed.The Bengals top two RBs last year, generated 1500 rushing yards. I think that's the number you want to be looking at.Whether it's 1200 Rudi/300 Perry or whether Perry gets a lot more is yet to be seen.Sure, Rudi could bust out with 1,600 yards this year--but there's not a ton of evidence to make me consider that likely.
It' not flawed. It's perfectly reasonable.Yes, the top two back last year combined for approximately 1,500 yards. However, the top two backs were interchangeably the primary ball carries, as well. However, Dillon is now gone. Additionally, the 3rd leading rusher, Bennett went for about 175 yards primarily on 3rd down duty. However, Bennett is now gone.I am not assuming the quazi RBBC situation Dillon and Johnson were in last year repeated with Rudi and Perry, obviously. I am assuming Rudi will be the guy with Perry taking 3rd down duties (in Bennett's place) and the occassional spelling of Rudi. Dillon is gone and Bennett is gone and I am not going to assume that PW will go for another 150 yards.So, that leaves the vast bulk of the 2,000 yard rushing pie to be allocated between Rudi and Perry, and like I said, I think it's reasonable that Rudi will get 65% - 75% of that productivity with Perry taking the vast majority of the difference.IMO, the Bengals drafted Pery because 1) they had no RB depth and 2) Rudi had a big year last year, and they had to give him the minimum 1st and 3rd tender just to protect him. They know that when he does it again this year, they will not be able to afford to keep him (Oakland here he comes). But, Perry will be eased in (probably 100'ish carries) and they will give Rudi the abuse this year since they do not plan on keeping him.That's my $0.02. The analysis is not flawed. You may disagree with the assumptions (e.g. it will not be RBBC, the offense will not regress with Palmer, or whatever), but the logic/analysis is straight forward and simple.If you think it is 1,200/300 for Rudi/Perry, then where is the other 500? Who picks that up? That's a big piece of change to leave laying around in your analysis.

I believe that Colin has answered your question about my observation, but just in case there is still any doubt. Here are the stats from the last 6 Cincinnati games.All RB's ATT YDS YPCSan Diego 39 187 4.8Pittsburgh 22 95 4.3Baltimore 21 100 4.8San Francisco 32 212 6.6St. Louis 22 94 4.3Cleveland 23 104 4.5Rudi Johnson had nearly 60% of the carries. This is how he fared. ATT YDS YPCSan Diego 17 55 3.2Pittsburgh 10 29 2.9Baltimore 4 10 2.5San Francisco 21 174 8.3St. Louis 11 30 2.7Cleveland 14 52 3.7This is how Corey Dillon fared. ATT YDS YPCSan Diego 18 108 6.0Pittsburgh 10 48 4.8Baltimore 11 45 4.1San Francisco 9 24 2.7St. Louis 7 37 5.3Cleveland 8 50 6.3Notice anything about Rudi's numbers? He had a YPC of less than 3.0 3 out of 6 times and a YPC of less than 4.0 5 out of 6 times. With more carries than Dillon in all games but the Baltimore game. He also has a YPC less than the Team YPC in all games by the San Francisco game. This is not good evidence to me that he is equivalent to Dillon, or that he keeps his job with Perry in the "wings". Also don't see him finishing any higher than #20 on the RB leader board.

"RBs -19. Michael Bennett 20. Brian Westbrook 21. Duce Staley 21. Rudi Johnson 23. Julius Jones 24. Kevin Jones 25. Charlie Garner. (Not using PPR scoring)Overall-Moss, Culpepper, Harrison, and Holt are ranked ahead of Rudi in my projections, allowing for his bump to 26th."That all seems reasonable, I think people are somewhat picking nits here - no one's saying Johnson doesn't deserve consideration as a decent #2 back, it's just where to place him in the list. I'm a little leary of placing him too high, then again I don't like Travis Henry as much as most either. I'm a sucker for more clear situations - which leads me to another question, namely when does Julius Jones' stock start rising? The more I think about it the more I like his chances more than Rudi, Westbrook, Staley, Bennett and others in the same draft region. Sorry, just a follow on to considering Rudi......

I think the selected YPC is being over used as a negative. Bottom line, the guy went for about 1,000 yards in 13 games last year in a RBBC type situation. And averaged over 4.0 YPC overall everywhere on the field expect the opponents red zone, which is not unusual.As far as YPC, bottom line is that his YPC was 4.5 last year. That's solid considering a fantasy darling Rick Williams has only been above 4.0 YPC once in his entire career and many other RBs have hovered around that 4.0 mark and been sucessful.I do not get why people are picking and choosing games. Sure, you can pick and choose when someone had a bad game to help prove your point, but that's only a piece of the puzzle. You need to look at the whole thing. Ricky Williams was 3.5 YPC or less in 8 out of 16 games last year, but I do not see anyone trying to push him out of the 1st round for those select 8 games. Hell, LT was under 3.8 YPC or less in 7 games. Point being that the fact that Rudi was under 4.0 YPC in 8 of his 13 games does not really concern me, especially considering in 3 of those games he had 10 or less carries and only had at least 15 carries in 3 of those games. It's hard to get into a grove unless you get some carries consistently in a game. A carry here and a carry there makes for bad YPC.Those that draft Rudi in the mid to late 2nd, just hold your mouths to the end of the season and then you can say, "I told you so." Rudi in the 2nd vs. Ricky in the top 8 is a great value pick. Be happy he is falling to you and let everyone else continue to hate on him.We can "check the scoreboard" throughout the season and see who was right.Until then...

Hmmph all this fuss over Rudi Johnson??I will just pile on with my previous comments about this situation.

I think Rudi Johnson is an excellent example of how many players in the NFL can succed if given the opportunity. Corey Dillon had some serious attitude problems that never meshed well with Marvin Lewis who seems to understand the importance of being a leader and in control of the team.Rudi Johnson was drafted in the 4th round of 2001. To put that into even better perspective Rudi Johnson was drafted after TE Shawn Brewer in the 3rd round. RB was not a need position for the Bengals at that time so they must have liked Rudi and felt he was good value in the 4th round so they took him. But it is not like they have ever had thier carriage hooked up to Rudi with the expectation for him to carry the Bengals to success.Rudi Johnson had 4 games last year where he cracked 100 yards.Seattle 27 carries 101 yards 3.7 ypc 1 TDHouston 43 carries 182 yards 4.2 ypc 2 TDKansas City 22 carries 165 yards 7.5 ypc 0 TDSan Fransico 21 carries 174 yards 8.3 ypc 2 TDThe best defense that he faced out of these 4 was SF who are a average defense against the run. Kansas City was pathetic and the Texans still a expansion team. Seattle was not that good either although I think they may be better now. Average perhaps now but not then.Still pretty impressive I would say. 622 yards and 5 TD in 4 games. Problem is he only gained 957 yards on the season. 335 yards and 4 TDs came in games like this:San Diego 17 carries 55 yards 3.2 ypc 0 TDCleveland 14 carries 52 yards 3.7 ypc 2 TDBuffalo 20 carries 69 yards 3.5 ypc 1 TDArizona 8 carries 34 yards 4.3 ypc 1 TDCleveland 15 carries 51 yards 3.4 ypc 0 TDRams 11 carries 30 yards 2.7 ypc 0 TDPittsburgh 10 carries 29 yards 2.9 ypc 0 TDBaltimore 4 carries 10 yards 2.5 ypc 0 TDBaltimore 3 carries 5 yards 1.7 ypc 0 TDThose are all of the games he was involved in. I am actualy somewhat impressed with how well he did against Buffalo who has a fairly strong defense. But it looks like he is not good enough for the Bengals to even consider using against Pittsburgh or the Ravens. Thats when they went to Dillon. I am guessing because they felt Dillon gave them more of a chance against those defenses. And he certainly outperformed Rudi in those games although Dillons success was limited as well. He wasn't even good enough to take over a close game against Arizona. Dillon really outperformed Rudi against San Diego when they bludgeoned the Chargers 35 carries split between the 2 RBs.Then Cincinatti goes out and drafts Chris Perry in the 1st round after trading down with Denver and then the Rams. I specualte that they knew the Rams would take Jackson with that pick and they did not mind letting them do that. 2 picks latter they draft Perry with all of the other RBs still on the board and latter stated that he was the RB they wanted all along because of his well rounded play.They signed Rudi to a one year deal to ease the transition for Carson Palmer.Will Rudi get a lot of action in 2004? I would think so. Will he be thier RB in 2005? I do not know. I think he might have to do more in 2004 than he did in 2003 to keep Perry in a back up role. And even then it is not a given when you consider what they have done with Kitna and Palmer.
Ok this was thinking longer term.. but this thread is ony concerned with what Rudi can do this year.I think Rudi is quite the mauler type of a RB. He can really pummel a team with weak tackling and I do expect the Bengals to use him this way as often as possible and he could have a decent year.But I also expect him to struggle against sound run defences and that is not the kind of player I want in the 2nd round when there are so many more players I could draft with much more confidence.Some people compared Rudi to Henry in this post. There is no precident for this considering the brevity of Rudi's body of work compared to Henrys.Making comparisons to Domanic Davis I can understand better with one problem though. When Davis gets stuffed running the ball he can still catch and offers some consistency because of this. Rudi doesen't as he will most likely be spelled by Perry who has a much more well rounded skill set than Rudi has in those situations.Rudi looks more like a match up type of RB who will have some big games with a heavy dose of carries against defenses that are susceptable to his power rushing style. But he will also bomb against more solid defenses imo and will be a wasted pick during those games.Here is the Bengals regular season schedule and when I would feel comfortable starting him:Sept. 12 at New York Jets 1:00 p.m. MAYBESept. 19 Miami 8:30 p.m. NOSept. 26 Baltimore 1:00 p.m. DEFINITLY NOTOct. 3 at Pittsburgh 1:00 p.m. MAYBEOct. 10 Open Date Oct. 17 at Cleveland 1:00 p.m. YESOct. 25 Denver 9:00 p.m. MAYBEOct. 31 at Tennessee 1:00 p.m. MAYBENov. 7 Dallas 1:00 p.m. NONov. 14 at Washington 4:05p YESNov. 21 Pittsburgh 1:00 p.m. YESNov. 28 Cleveland 1:00 p.m. YESDec. 5 at Baltimore 1:00 p.m. NODec. 12 at New England 1:00 p.m. NODec. 19 Buffalo 1:00 p.m. NODec. 26 New York Giants 1:00 p.m. YESJan. 2 at Philadelphia 1:00 p.m. NOSo thats 5 games where I think I would be ok with starting him. One of them is week 16 so that is a good thing if Rudi can hang on to the starting job all year.He has a nice late push in Novemeber but I am seeing a rough start for Rudi. Those maybe games are all away until week 7 when the Bengals host Denver.Now if he were a RB that I had confidence in even against bad match ups it would be less of an issue. But he isn't. And this looks bad enough to me that there is no way I would touch him in the 2nd round.I might consider trading for him after the Dallas game if he struggles and loses value in his owners eyes by then though which I think he might.That is if he has not lost his job to Perry by then...

The Bengals generated about 2,000 yards of rushing offense last year - 13th in the league.  Assuming Carson can at least hold the line in the passing game, I expect a similarly productive Bengals offense this year.If Rudi only gets 65% of that total productivity, that's 1,300 rushing yards.  Frankly, with their current roster of backs, I would not be surprised to see him get upwards of 75% of that productivity, that's 1,500 rushing yards, leaving about 400 for Perry and 100 in scraps for Hicks and company.Add on a few hundred yards receiving and double digit total TDs and you have a great back that's generally going in the mid to late 2nd round.Great value.
TME, that analysis is flawed.The Bengals top two RBs last year, generated 1500 rushing yards. I think that's the number you want to be looking at.Whether it's 1200 Rudi/300 Perry or whether Perry gets a lot more is yet to be seen.Sure, Rudi could bust out with 1,600 yards this year--but there's not a ton of evidence to make me consider that likely.
It' not flawed. It's perfectly reasonable.Yes, the top two back last year combined for approximately 1,500 yards. However, the top two backs were interchangeably the primary ball carries, as well. However, Dillon is now gone. Additionally, the 3rd leading rusher, Bennett went for about 175 yards primarily on 3rd down duty. However, Bennett is now gone.I am not assuming the quazi RBBC situation Dillon and Johnson were in last year repeated with Rudi and Perry, obviously. I am assuming Rudi will be the guy with Perry taking 3rd down duties (in Bennett's place) and the occassional spelling of Rudi. Dillon is gone and Bennett is gone and I am not going to assume that PW will go for another 150 yards.So, that leaves the vast bulk of the 2,000 yard rushing pie to be allocated between Rudi and Perry, and like I said, I think it's reasonable that Rudi will get 65% - 75% of that productivity with Perry taking the vast majority of the difference.IMO, the Bengals drafted Pery because 1) they had no RB depth and 2) Rudi had a big year last year, and they had to give him the minimum 1st and 3rd tender just to protect him. They know that when he does it again this year, they will not be able to afford to keep him (Oakland here he comes). But, Perry will be eased in (probably 100'ish carries) and they will give Rudi the abuse this year since they do not plan on keeping him.That's my $0.02. The analysis is not flawed. You may disagree with the assumptions (e.g. it will not be RBBC, the offense will not regress with Palmer, or whatever), but the logic/analysis is straight forward and simple.If you think it is 1,200/300 for Rudi/Perry, then where is the other 500? Who picks that up? That's a big piece of change to leave laying around in your analysis.
Kitna - 113Warrick - 143You can't just forget about those numbers. I think it's much more useful to look at RB only stats, or RB stats for the top two guys. Just my :twocents:

Clunker 1: Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc).

CLunker 2: Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).

Clunker 3: Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)

Clunker 4: week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)

Clunker 5: Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).

Thanks for asking for this comparison. I like Rudi even less now in the 2nd round.

Colin
:goodposting: Ok, now let's remove the spin and look at those "clunkers" again:

"Clunker 1": Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc).

Dillon had 108 yards on 18 carries. Dillon is gone. Let's give Rudi the full 25-30 carries and see what he might have done here. 100 yards rushing? Probably.

"CLunker 2": Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).

You are seriously going to peg this a clunker when he had TEN carries??

"Clunker 3": Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)

EVEN WORSE, You are seriously going to peg this a clunker when he had FOUR carries? Someone PLEASE pass me that joint.

"Clunker 4": week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)

11 carries. See above.

"Clunker 5": Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).

Please let's not try and cast a game in which he scored twice as a "clunker," that's just silly. And if its the yards you are questioning, did you hear that Corey Dillon is no longer on the team? Let's give his 50 yards to Rudi instead. 100 yards and 2 TD's. Clunker if I ever saw one.

I have a hard time categorizing any of those games as a true "clunker." Not sure what you are thinking having this guy the 21st ranked RB with those kinds of numbers. Might he bust? Sure. Is he a gamble? Sure. But to argue that he didn't perform well really undermines your whole argument.

Clunker 1: Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc).

CLunker 2: Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).

Clunker 3: Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)

Clunker 4: week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)

Clunker 5: Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).

Thanks for asking for this comparison. I like Rudi even less now in the 2nd round.

Colin
:goodposting: Ok, now let's remove the spin and look at those "clunkers" again:

"Clunker 1": Week 12 - Dillon goes for 108 yards on 18 carries (6ypc). On 17 carries (one fewer) Rudi gos for 55 (3.23ypc).

Dillon had 108 yards on 18 carries. Dillon is gone. Let's give Rudi the full 25-30 carries and see what he might have done here. 100 yards rushing? Probably.

"CLunker 2": Week 13 - Dillon has 10 carries for 48 yards (4.8 ypc). Rudi has 10 carries for 29 yards (2.9 ypc).

You are seriously going to peg this a clunker when he had TEN carries??

"Clunker 3": Week 14 - Dillon has 11 for 45 (4 ypc). Rudi has 4 for 10 (2.5 ypc)

EVEN WORSE, You are seriously going to peg this a clunker when he had FOUR carries? Someone PLEASE pass me that joint.

"Clunker 4": week 16 - Dillon has 7 for 37 (5.28 ypc). Rudi has 11 for 30 (2.73ypc)

11 carries. See above.

"Clunker 5": Week 17 - Dillon has 8 for 50 (6.25ypc). Rudi has 2 TDs, but a not so stellar 14 for 52 (3.71 ypc).

Please let's not try and cast a game in which he scored twice as a "clunker," that's just silly. And if its the yards you are questioning, did you hear that Corey Dillon is no longer on the team? Let's give his 50 yards to Rudi instead. 100 yards and 2 TD's. Clunker if I ever saw one.

I have a hard time categorizing any of those games as a true "clunker." Not sure what you are thinking having this guy the 21st ranked RB with those kinds of numbers. Might he bust? Sure. Is he a gamble? Sure. But to argue that he didn't perform well really undermines your whole argument.
We're not going to have much of a discussion if you continue to toss out the games that don't suit you. THe fact is he was OUTPLAYED by Corey Dillon in all 5 gams I mentioned. Corey Dillon is gone, yes. But you act like Rudi can just assume those numbers. Answer me 2 questions, than I'll let sleeping dogs lie...1. WHy did Marvin keep giving Dillon - a clubhouse cancer and walking injury - the ball if Rudi is/was so special?

2. Why did the team draft a Running Back in the 1st when Brandon Bennett, Jamel White, Troy Hambrick, Skip Hicks, etc. could have all been had MUCH cheaper as depth?

Colin

When Rudi gets 330 carries and catches 40 balls, we can talk. Until then...
We might have to start "talking" pretty soon. Like this season. With C.Palmer now the QB and C.Dillon playing in New England, I dont see any reason why Ru.Johnson cant get 330 carries. This probably wont be the pass-happy Bengals we saw last year.

Just because the bengals drafted C Perry does not mean anything, some of you people read too much into that crap. Look Rudi has 1 year left on his contract if he leaves via free agency then they will have Perry as insurance or the bengals will resign Rudi again. All of this number cruching from last year means nothing now. The point is Rudi is a starting back and that alone carries great value in fantasy. If you look around your leagues you won't find too many teams with 2 quality fulltime starting backs so that alone gives Rudi value. All I know is this year we will see how good Rudi now that he is the man and don't have to split carries with Dillion. It's hard to come in and be consistant when you don't even know when your goning to get carries as was the case last year.

Given how he is the incumbent starter heading into camp, I think it's safe to assume he'll get no fewer than 15 carries a game
If you are suggesting that there will be no games this season in which Rudi gets less than 15 carries, I'd be interested in taking that bet.

From LINK:

Be careful.

There are a number of recent players who also did not claim the feature back role until partway through their breakout season and maintained essentially the same role & situation in their next season: Dillon, Lewis (comparing to his third season rather than his second, due to injury), Green, Alexander, and Portis. A group of very talented backs, likely more talented than Davis. It seemed similarly promising to scale up the statistics of each of these guys and expect a substantial increase.

But here's the rub: They averaged a gain of only 4% in the season following their breakout season, and that is from their straight numbers, not from scaled up numbers.
Change Davis to Rudi above and you get the idea. Not that Rudi fits the same group as these others, as he did not claim and hold the feature role. However, this post illustrates that it isn't appropriate to simply scale up statistics as many are suggesting in this post.

Just because the bengals drafted C Perry does not mean anything, some of you people read too much into that crap. Look Rudi has 1 year left on his contract if he leaves via free agency then they will have Perry as insurance or the bengals will resign Rudi again. All of this number cruching from last year means nothing now. The point is Rudi is a starting back and that alone carries great value in fantasy. If you look around your leagues you won't find too many teams with 2 quality fulltime starting backs so that alone gives Rudi value. All I know is this year we will see how good Rudi now that he is the man and don't have to split carries with Dillion. It's hard to come in and be consistant when you don't even know when your goning to get carries as was the case last year.
And some people read too little in the significance of a contract year. While it benefits the player to boost his stats, it actually hurts the bargaining position of the team.Look at it this way - if Johnson gets the majority of the carries, and he underperforms, the Bengals may very well miss out on a playoff shot - for which they are actually viable for the first time in years. Don't think the front office isn't aware of the fan base & their impact. Making the playoffs is very important. If Johnson outperforms, the Bengals know that they'll get held up in contract negotiations, and Johnson will ask for a lot more than they'll want to give next year. If Johnson performs at about position level, then the Bengals will not have stepped up their offense the way I think they'd like to, especially since you have to figure Palmer struggling some in his first year starting - and which probably also means no playoffs.If you look at it from that standpoint, since the Bengals will have Perry in the fold for at least 3 years, it certainly is in the team's best interest to at least give Perry an even-up chance at starting. If Perry performs as well as Johnson, then Perry has to get the nod, strictly from a business standpoint. That means Johnson has to significantly beat out Perry to get the kind of carries that some people are projecting for him (which I think is completely nuts, but that is another issue backed by the starting RB stats I posted earlier). That I just don't see happening, based upon past performance.If Johnson renegotiates his contract and CIN gives him more years & money, that to me is the team saying that Johnson is their guy at featured RB, no matter what. That benefits both sides in this situation, provided that CIN thinks that Johnson is really the go-to guy. In any other scenario, Perry wins the tie.

since the Bengals will have Perry in the fold for at least 3 years, it certainly is in the team's best interest to at least give Perry an even-up chance at starting. If Perry performs as well as Johnson, then Perry has to get the nod, strictly from a business standpoint.
:goodposting:Sorry, it just doesn't work this way. Marvin Lewis could care less right now what 1,500 yards from Rudi would do to his contract demands next year. Next year is next year. He anted up $1.8 million for Rudi this year, and I assure you, if Rudi proves capable Lewis will give him ample opportunity to run his #### off with absolutely zero regard for his future contract demands. Maybe Rudi struggles, fumbles, whatever and Perry gets more time as a result. But future money and business will not have any factor in how Lewis divides up the carries and the opportunities. Lewis would be thrilled if Rudi could win the rushing title. What would that do for Palmer, for their defense, for winning games late in the year, in the playoffs? These are the kinds of things that keep Lewis up at night, negotiating with Rudi and his agent next year - isn't one of them. The Bengals will attempt to get the most possible production they can out of whomever they deem to be the best performing option for them. That's it, and that's all.

Did you see the part where a great number of his games were under 4 ypc? 

Colin
:unsure: Nope, but do I care? If the bottom line is that over 200+ carries he averaged 4.5 yards per carry, that is fine with me.

Did he have under 4 in some games? Sweet, that means he had over 5 in others ...

:goodposting:
FF PLayoffs...Week 14: 4 carries, 10 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 15: 21 carries, 174 yards, 2 TDs.

Week 16 Championship: 11 carries, 30 yards, 0 TDs.

You might want someone a wee bit more consistant in the 2nd round.

Colin
I agree, Very interesting stat line

1. WHy did Marvin keep giving Dillon - a clubhouse cancer and walking injury - the ball if Rudi is/was so special? Colin
(1) Marv needed to showcase Dillon a little, to drive up Dillon's trade value for the next year.It worked, as Marv turned a malcontent clubhouse cancer, that was not going to be on the Bengals 2004 roster, into a 2nd rounder. Good job Marv. :thumbup:
2. Why did the team draft a Running Back in the 1st when Brandon Bennett, Jamel White, Troy Hambrick, Skip Hicks, etc. could have all been had MUCH cheaper as depth?Colin
(2) Brandon Bennett, Jamel White, Troy Hambrick, Skip Hicks would indeed have provided depth, but what is their upside? You know what you'll be getting with all these guys and it ain't much. Would you, as a Coach, be comfortable turing over the fulltime RB job to any of those guys, if your main guy went down to season ending injury? They're all 2nd stringers, except maybe for White, and while he's good, I don't think he could handle the load of a fulltime back, especially in that Division. He's most valuable as a 3rd down back. Personally I see Perry with much higher upside than any of the guys you suggested. Also, depending on how Rudi does this year, Marv's covered his bases with Perry, just in case Rudi blows up and becomes an exorbitantly priced FA. Again, good job Marv. :thumbup: My :2cents: . In a 12 team League, I think Rudi's an decent pick, mid to late 2nd round.

The idea that Perry's being drafted somehow provides evidence that the Bengals don't like him is bogus. The facts are that (1) Rudi's contract expires at the end of the year, and (2) Marvin Lewis has stated that Perry was clearly the best value on the draft board to him -- best player available. He could have had any starting RB in the league with the same situation and I'd bet dollars to donuts he would have made the same pick.

:no:Sorry, it just doesn't work this way. Marvin Lewis could care less right now what 1,500 yards from Rudi would do to his contract demands next year. Next year is next year. He anted up $1.8 million for Rudi this year, and I assure you, if Rudi proves capable Lewis will give him ample opportunity to run his #### off with absolutely zero regard for his future contract demands. Maybe Rudi struggles, fumbles, whatever and Perry gets more time as a result. But future money and business will not have any factor in how Lewis divides up the carries and the opportunities. Lewis would be thrilled if Rudi could win the rushing title. What would that do for Palmer, for their defense, for winning games late in the year, in the playoffs? These are the kinds of things that keep Lewis up at night, negotiating with Rudi and his agent next year - isn't one of them. The Bengals will attempt to get the most possible production they can out of whomever they deem to be the best performing option for them. That's it, and that's all.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. It seems that way. Let's find out.So, if Perry & Johnson perform at relatively equivalent levels, you are saying that Marvin Lewis will choose Johnson over Perry? Please justify this thought if this is indeed what you are saying.

1. WHy did Marvin keep giving Dillon - a clubhouse cancer and walking injury - the ball if Rudi is/was so special? Colin
(1) Marv needed to showcase Dillon a little, to drive up Dillon's trade value for the next year.It worked, as Marv turned a malcontent clubhouse cancer, that was not going to be on the Bengals 2004 roster, into a 2nd rounder. Good job Marv. :thumbup:
So even though the Bengals were right in the thick of the playoff run Marvin would rather drive up a players trade value over trying to play his best players to get the Bengals into the playoffs.That makes absolutely no sense. He played the RB who he thought gave them the best chance to win and get into the playoffs, and that happened to be Dillon.Maybe he was wrong, but to say he played Dillon to drive up his trade value during a crucial stretch of games in ridiculous.

:no:Sorry, it just doesn't work this way. Marvin Lewis could care less right now what 1,500 yards from Rudi would do to his contract demands next year. Next year is next year. He anted up $1.8 million for Rudi this year, and I assure you, if Rudi proves capable Lewis will give him ample opportunity to run his #### off with absolutely zero regard for his future contract demands. Maybe Rudi struggles, fumbles, whatever and Perry gets more time as a result. But future money and business will not have any factor in how Lewis divides up the carries and the opportunities. Lewis would be thrilled if Rudi could win the rushing title. What would that do for Palmer, for their defense, for winning games late in the year, in the playoffs? These are the kinds of things that keep Lewis up at night, negotiating with Rudi and his agent next year - isn't one of them. The Bengals will attempt to get the most possible production they can out of whomever they deem to be the best performing option for them. That's it, and that's all.
Perhaps you misunderstood what I wrote. It seems that way. Let's find out.So, if Perry & Johnson perform at relatively equivalent levels, you are saying that Marvin Lewis will choose Johnson over Perry? Please justify this thought if this is indeed what you are saying.
What's the point in debating a hypothetical that holds no merit in reality? No two players are equal. And certainly Rudi Johnson and Chris Perry are not even close. Marvin Lewis will not find himself at the end of preseason scratching his head saying; "Man, these two running backs, Johnson and Perry, I just can't tell them apart, they're just so darn similar and equal, I'll just give Perry the ball to save us some money on Rudi's next contract."That's bogus and faulty logic. For starters, Rudi and Perry are completely different runners and each offers something the other seemingly does not. Second, until Perry gets an NFL season under his belt, he's just a rookie, and thus there is an experience factor that weighs heavily in Rudi's favor right now. That in and of itself, regardless of playing ability, makes these backs very different. Your statements regarding Lewis and him choosing Perry with all things being equal, for business reasons, fails to take into account their unique physical skills, the experience factor and how the business of running a football team really works.Bottom line: Johnson and Perry will never be viewed as equals. And Marvin Lewis will do whatever he believes will help him win games THIS SEASON. He'll worry about what's going to happen in the boardroom with Rudi and his agent whenever he has to go there. Furthermore, given Rudi's positive public remarks about being a Bengal, I would expect that should Johnson begin to flourish, we could likely see a contract extension happen during the season.

Your statements regarding Lewis and him choosing Perry with all things being equal, for business reasons, fails to take into account their unique physical skills, the experience factor and how the business of running a football team really works.
Experience means very little in the way of RBs, like it certainly does factor with QBs & WRs. Even the FF neophytes know that a rookie RB or 2 break into the top 10 almost every season. I'm disappointed that you are dodging this issue. I expected more. 2 RBs can definitely be compared, even though they provide different attributes to their teams. Hell, we do it here almost every single day.

Did you see the part where a great number of his games were under 4 ypc? 

Colin
:no: Nope, but do I care? If the bottom line is that over 200+ carries he averaged 4.5 yards per carry, that is fine with me.

Did he have under 4 in some games? Sweet, that means he had over 5 in others ...

:pics:
FF PLayoffs...Week 14: 4 carries, 10 yards, 0 TDs.

Week 15: 21 carries, 174 yards, 2 TDs.

Week 16 Championship: 11 carries, 30 yards, 0 TDs.

You might want someone a wee bit more consistant in the 2nd round.

Colin
I agree, Very interesting stat line
What's so interesting about it? Last year Rudi was a WAIVER WIRE pick-up. How much can you possibly ask for from a waiver wire pick-up? He also wasn't the starter ALL 3 of those games. Not too bad of stats from a BACK-UP.

So even though the Bengals were right in the thick of the playoff run Marvin would rather drive up a players trade value over trying to play his best players to get the Bengals into the playoffs.

That makes absolutely no sense. He played the RB who he thought gave them the best chance to win and get into the playoffs, and that happened to be Dillon.

Maybe he was wrong, but to say he played Dillon to drive up his trade value during a crucial stretch of games in ridiculous.
Moderated, Did you bother to check the number of carries both Dillon & Rudi had over the crucial stretch of games, before you made that staement?

"He played the RB who he thought gave them the best chance to win and get into the playoffs, and that happened to be Dillon."

Somehow, someway I don't think you really looked at the numbers, because your statement is not at all reflective of the split in carries & receptions between Rudi & Dillon.

Here are the RB carries per game for the last four 2003 Bengal games;

Baltimore: Rudi = 4 carries + 1 rec, Dillon = 11 carries + 0 rec

San Fran: Rudi = 21 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 9 carries + 0 rec

St. Louis: Rudi = 11 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 7 carries = 0 rec

Cleveland: Rudi = 14 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 8 carries + 1 rec

Total carries & receptions by Bengal RB's during the final 2003 4 game stretch;

Rudi = 50 carries + 7 rec

Dillon = 35 carries + 1 rec

I think Marv did indeed showcase Dillon to drive up potential trade value for 2004 and IMO, the above numbers bear out my supposition.

Also, Marv not comitting to either Rudi carrying the ball fulltime or Dillon carrying the ball fulltime, was not the main reason the Bengals missed the playoffs.

The lackluster play by the Bengals Defense, was the deciding factor IMO.

Your statements regarding Lewis and him choosing Perry with all things being equal, for business reasons, fails to take into account their unique physical skills, the experience factor and how the business of running a football team really works.
Experience means very little in the way of RBs, like it certainly does factor with QBs & WRs. Even the FF neophytes know that a rookie RB or 2 break into the top 10 almost every season. I'm disappointed that you are dodging this issue. I expected more. 2 RBs can definitely be compared, even though they provide different attributes to their teams. Hell, we do it here almost every single day.
What am I dodging exactly?
"2 RBs can definitely be compared, even though they provide different attributes to their teams. Hell, we do it here almost every single day."
No. Not the same and this is not consistent with what you were suggesting earlier. Comparing Rudi and Perry on these boards and comparing potential fantasy production/points etc. is NOT anywhere near the same animal as the nature of comparison and decision making that Marvin Lewis would go through in determining whether Rudi or Perry would carry the load for the Bengals this season.And if you don't think experience matters; answer this question;How many playoff teams over the last 20 years fielded a lineup with a starting QB AND RB who both entered the season with zero NFL game experience?

For all the headslapping going on, I must say...this is a great discussion thread.

And Colin, great job on backing up your opinions with stats/facts. Some may disagree with your conclusions, but it seems to me that is mostly because they want to draft Rudi in the 2nd round. As my WCOFF partner taught me once, I tended to color arguments toward the position I wanted to choose, and that is what most people seem to be doing here.

So even though the Bengals were right in the thick of the playoff run Marvin would rather drive up a players trade value over trying to play his best players to get the Bengals into the playoffs.

That makes absolutely no sense.  He played the RB who he thought gave them the best chance to win and get into the playoffs, and that happened to be Dillon.

Maybe he was wrong, but to say he played Dillon to drive up his trade value during a crucial stretch of games in ridiculous.
Moderated, Did you bother to check the number of carries both Dillon & Rudi had over the crucial stretch of games, before you made that staement?

"He played the RB who he thought gave them the best chance to win and get into the playoffs, and that happened to be Dillon."

Somehow, someway I don't think you really looked at the numbers, because your statement is not at all reflective of the split in carries & receptions between Rudi & Dillon.

Here are the RB carries per game for the last four 2003 Bengal games;

Baltimore: Rudi = 4 carries + 1 rec, Dillon = 11 carries + 0 rec

San Fran: Rudi = 21 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 9 carries + 0 rec

St. Louis: Rudi = 11 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 7 carries = 0 rec

Cleveland: Rudi = 14 carries + 2 rec, Dillon = 8 carries + 1 rec

Total carries & receptions by Bengal RB's during the final 2003 4 game stretch;

Rudi = 50 carries + 7 rec

Dillon = 35 carries + 1 rec

I think Marv did indeed showcase Dillon to drive up potential trade value for 2004 and IMO, the above numbers bear out my supposition.

Also, Marv not comitting to either Rudi carrying the ball fulltime or Dillon carrying the ball fulltime, was not the main reason the Bengals missed the playoffs.

The lackluster play by the Bengals Defense, was the deciding factor IMO.
Guess I didn't check the numbers too closely.Looks like Rudi did get the bulk of the work in the crucial games.

But Dillon did get a decent share of the work in those games, and I highly doubt it was just to up his trade value. These were crucial games the Bengals needed to win to get into the playoffs.

Dillon is a proven commodity in the NFL. What he did in a few games near the end of the year likely had no bearing on his trade value. He played because the staff felt he could help get them into the playoffs, but as you showed Rudi did indeed get more work in those games, so obviously he was viewed as a crucial part of their playoff run as well.

I'm on the fence with Rudi. I could see him having a very solid year, but at the same time there is just something that doesn't rub me the right way with him. A lot of signs point to the Bengal staff not having full confidence in him.

Guess I didn't check the numbers too closely.

Looks like Rudi did get the bulk of the work in the crucial games.

But Dillon did get a decent share of the work in those games, and I highly doubt it was just to up his trade value.

Dillon is a proven commodity in the NFL. What he did in a few games near the end of the year likely had no bearing on his trade value.
Actually Moderated, even though in the past Dillon had been a proven commodity in the NFL, 2003 was an injury plauged year for Dillon.How do you get a 2nd round draft pick for a RB that will be 31 years old this season, struggled with injuries in the season and then when supposedly finally healthy, sits on the bench?

The answer is you don't.

Marv NEEDED to play Dillon over the last few games. That way Marv could prove Dillon's various 2003 injury problems were behind him and thus increase his trade value for 2004.

If Marv hadn't showcased Dillon at the end of last year, to prove the injuries were not critical, I doubt the Bengals would've been able to get much more than a 4th round pick for Dillon...if that.

I think that you are really reaching Big Score.Dillon had a YPC higher than Johnson in every game but San Francisco; many of them he was nearly 2 to 1 in YPC!They were in a Playoff Race, and Lewis played him for one reason and one reason only TO WIN!

Users who are viewing this thread