What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (1 Viewer)

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer suggests the Eagles went through with the Ryan Mathews signing because they didn't want to renege on a handshake deal.

The Mathews signing at three years, $11M with $5M guaranteed was a bit confusing after the Eagles had already landed DeMarco Murray on a $40M deal with $18M guaranteed. Publicly, the narrative is that Chip Kelly sold them on the idea of a three-headed rushing attack that also includes Darren Sproles. But the theory here is that the Eagles didn't want to pull a Frank Gore, backing out of a deal that was already in place.

Source: Philadelphia Inquirer & Daily News
Mar 24 - 9:45 AM

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects Ryan Mathews' carry count to be in the mid-100s this season.

It feels like a bit of a high projection if everyone stays healthy. The Eagles have averaged 407.5 running back carries per season in two years under Chip Kelly. DeMarco Murray's workload will be scaled back off his absurd 392 carries with Dallas last year, but he's still a great bet for 270-290. Darren Sproles will mix in for 40-50. That leaves around 80-100 carries for Mathews, giving him handcuff value only.

Related: Darren Sproles, DeMarco Murray

May 19 - 11:57 AM

Rotoworld:

The Philadelphia Inquirer expects Ryan Mathews' carry count to be in the mid-100s this season.

It feels like a bit of a high projection if everyone stays healthy. The Eagles have averaged 407.5 running back carries per season in two years under Chip Kelly. DeMarco Murray's workload will be scaled back off his absurd 392 carries with Dallas last year, but he's still a great bet for 270-290. Darren Sproles will mix in for 40-50. That leaves around 80-100 carries for Mathews, giving him handcuff value only.

Related: Darren Sproles, DeMarco Murray

May 19 - 11:57 AM
The Eagles have averaged 25 RB carries a game. If you take the low end of that estimate (270) that's 17 carries a game for Murray. Add 3 a game for Sproles and that leaves 5 a game for Mathews - or 80 for the season.

Maybe they run more this year or maybe they lessen Murray's load to keep him healthy but those are roughly the numbers I expect this year.

500 carries is the floor for the Eagles. Plenty for Mathews to be a change of pace home run hitter. Very interested to see how he'll be when he doesn't have to carry he load.

Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews is getting reps as a kick returner during minicamp.

Mathews only projects for 100-130 carries assuming DeMarco Murray stays healthy this year. So getting the ball in his hands via kickoffs is a way to utilize a very talented player. Mathews has unique speed and burst for a running back that plays at 230 pounds.

Jun 18 - 9:25 AM

Faust said:
Rotoworld:

Ryan Mathews is getting reps as a kick returner during minicamp.

Mathews only projects for 100-130 carries assuming DeMarco Murray stays healthy this year. So getting the ball in his hands via kickoffs is a way to utilize a very talented player. Mathews has unique speed and burst for a running back that plays at 230 pounds.

Jun 18 - 9:25 AM
I think this number is very, very low assuming Mathews doesn't get hurt(which I'll admit is a big assumption).

Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit 3h3 hours ago

ok Twitterverse, get ready to bring your griping to the table. NFL RB rankings 1-30 coming up.

Best NFL RB’s entering ’15: 11 Gore 12 Bernard 13 R Mathews 14 Ellington 15 Morris

Andy Benoit retweeted Matthew Cheney

Light feet, loose hips and vision. An elite runner.....when healthy, of course.

Matthew Cheney @Matt_Cheney @Andy_Benoit Mathews at 13? Why?
Andy Benoit ‏@Andy_Benoit 2h2 hours ago

Andy Benoit retweeted Tyler Steele

No. If Mathews weren't injury prone, I'd have put him top 8.

Andy Benoit added,

Tyler Steele @TWillSteele @Andy_Benoit and yet Ryan Matthews injury prone status is ignored lol

Ryan Mathews suffered a concussion in Philadelphia's Week 10 game against the Dolphins, and will not return.
Mathews went down in the third quarter, and was ruled out in the fourth. Mathews had rushed eight times for only 18 yards before going down, but did find the end zone. He added two catches for 22 yards. Mathews should be considered day to day, and questionable for Week 11.

https://www.profootballfocus.com/blog/2015/11/15/pro-bradford-injured-but-eagles-have-bigger-problems-on-offense/

Unfortunately, Murray has not been the same player for the Eagles (-1.5) as he was for the Cowboys; and now Mathews, currently ranked higher (26[SIZE=13.3333px]th[/SIZE]) at his position in the PFF season grades than Murray (38[SIZE=13.3333px]th[/SIZE]), left the game on Sunday with a concussion and did not return.

It’s actually surprising that Mathews has not received more playing time, since he’s been a much more elusive player than Murray this season, with a 72.3 elusive rating (16[SIZE=13.3333px]th[/SIZE] overall), nearly 50 spots higher than Murray (36.2) at 65[SIZE=13.3333px]th[/SIZE].

Back on the practice field today. Hopefully he steps in and gets the start with the Murray fiasco in full effect.

Ryan Mathews (concussion) returned to practice Tuesday.
The Philadelphia Daily News' Les Bowen reported Mathews made progress in the protocol Monday and was going to meet with a neurologist Tuesday morning. That meeting apparently went well, and Mathews is back on the practice field. Mathews may not be fully cleared at this point, but this practice puts him on track to play against Buffalo. With DeMarco Murray basically benched last week, Mathews could be the starting running back against the Bills. He needs to be added wherever available.

If he is cleared to play and it sounds like he's going to be significantly involved, I wonder if I'm gonna have the guts to throw Mathews in the lineup this week. Gonna be an interesting news week out of Philly on this situation.

If he is cleared to play and it sounds like he's going to be significantly involved, I wonder if I'm gonna have the guts to throw Mathews in the lineup this week. Gonna be an interesting news week out of Philly on this situation.
I'm tired of Murray disappointing me week after week. I'm throwing Matthews in my lineup and benching Murray.

I'm tired of Murray disappointing me week after week. I'm throwing Matthews in my lineup and benching Murray.
Considering this myself, Denver724.

Would be a godsend if he gets the majority but its a really weird situation. Kelly may have changed his ways or the NE game was an aberration. Mathews may be healed but he's still Ryan Mathews and can get hurt any play. I might start him out of desperation but I wouldn't feel confident in the least.

He should have fresh legs and any nagging injuries should be healed up after all that time off. Could be huge if Murray gets benched. Fairly risky play this week, but hopefully his owners have byes.

He should have fresh legs and any nagging injuries should be healed up after all that time off. Could be huge if Murray gets benched. Fairly risky play this week, but hopefully his owners have byes.
May put him in over Buck Allen in a non-ppr league especially if Clausen is in at QB

There's about no chance I'd start him this week as his share of the RBBC is very much up in the air but if he get 15+ touches coming off his concussion and Murray is relegated once again, he could win people their playoff matches down the stretch. Per touch, he's easily been one of the more productive RBs this year.

I'd almost feel worse playing him next week. Even if Murray takes a back seat to Matthews this Sunday (doubtful) it could very well be that they were just putting him in the doghouse for just the one week. I have no idea what to make of that mess, or the mess that is my fantasy team.

I'd almost feel worse playing him next week. Even if Murray takes a back seat to Matthews this Sunday (doubtful) it could very well be that they were just putting him in the doghouse for just the one week. I have no idea what to make of that mess, or the mess that is my fantasy team.
That seems like quite a stretch. He was clearly demoted last week (didn't start, only 8 carries) and if they follow that up with Mathews taking the reigns in week 14, that would be two weeks. They are still playing for the division. It seems Chip has finally realized this isn't working. If Mathews does well this week and dominates snaps, I think you can start him with confidence (that he'll get the touches) next week, although Arizona is a very tough matchup. But there is a chance they'll bring him along slowly this week after missing so much time, leaving next week up in the air.

TFY Draft Insider's Tony Pauline reports that the Dallas Cowboys and San Francisco 49ers will be interested in Ryan Mathews if the Eagles pick Ohio State RB Ezekiel Elliott in Rd. 1.
It's an interesting report, though it seems unlikely that Philadelphia would help out Dallas in a trade. If the Eagles drum up enough pre-draft interest in Mathews as an asset, it might further incentivize them to get Zeke, a prospect they're already very high on.

Source: Walter Football 
Apr 15 - 8:48 PM

Philly Mag's Josh Paunil would be "shocked" if Ryan Mathews is not the Eagles' starter when healthy.
The when healthy part is an important caveat when it comes to Mathews, but it is fairly clear he will be the lead guy when on the field. Despite a slow pace, the Chiefs consistently finished in the top half of the league in rushing attempts while Pederson was the offensive coordinator. If Mathews can stay healthy, he has underrated upside.

Source: Philly Mag: Birds 24/7 
Jun 7 - 8:31 AM

CSN Philly's Dave Zangaro described the Eagles' backfield as a running-back-by-committee.
Ryan Mathews has seen most of the first-team reps, but it sounds like the Eagles are leaning toward a shared backfield with Darren Sproles, Wendell Smallwood and Kenjon Barner all getting carries. "Ryan, he can handle all the stuff and the pounding," said coach Doug Pederson. "But with the guys we have ... Darren is obviously a big part of that and now with Wendell coming on, I think it could be a little bit of a running back by committee." While splitting up backfield duties might help Mathews stay healthy, it won't improve his fantasy value. Mathews is on the lower end of the RB2 spectrum.

Source: CSN Philly 
Jun 12 - 10:00 AM

I sure hope this is one of those random stories rotoworld repeats four times over the course of a week. It puts doubt in the people that never really liked Mathews in the first place..... but did anyone ever really think Mathews was suddenly going to turn into an everydown back overnight? Well, besides Norv Turner.

His value in the words of the Beastie Boys has just taken a "Drrrooooop"
Kinda doubt it. His value is maybe a highish 2nd in this years class. If it drops anymore he'd be worth the same as Smallwood.

Anyway, it's coachspeak in June. 

His value in the words of the Beastie Boys has just taken a "Drrrooooop"
I don't know. I think most expected Sproles (or maybe Barner if Father Time catches up with Sproles) was likely going to be used on third downs anyway and Smallwood isn't likely to be much more than a spell back. Of course injuries are always a concern with Mathews but he's really the only back suited for a lead role on the roster right now - coach speak in June isn't completely useless but it also isn't gospel. 

Users who are viewing this thread