What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Mathews Dynasty Value (1 Viewer)

Sell, sell, sell! While you still have a chance at getting premium value.
Premium value? If anything, Matthews is hugely under-rated by the vast majority of people I've talked to both in my dynasty leagues and on various FF sites online. IMO he's still a buy low most places -- his price is nowhere near what it should be considering his age, pedigree, and history of production. I don't know that I'd have him in my top-10 RBs like the poster above, but from what I've seen he's barely cracking people's top-25 (FBGs consensus is RB22, with a high of RB19 and a ridiculous low of RB37), and that screams "buy" to me.

Premium value? If anything, Matthews is hugely under-rated by the vast majority of people I've talked to both in my dynasty leagues and on various FF sites online. IMO he's still a buy low most places -- his price is nowhere near what it should be considering his age, pedigree, and history of production. I don't know that I'd have him in my top-10 RBs like the poster above, but from what I've seen he's barely cracking people's top-25 (FBGs consensus is RB22, with a high of RB19 and a ridiculous low of RB37), and that screams "buy" to me.
If selilng, maybe wait until the "expert" rankings come out over the Summer/Fall and they have him in the top 10-15 and group think starts to set in.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my current top 20 (ppr). I think you could certainly make a case for bumping a few RBs up ahead of him - but all of those in the 10-20 range have some warts as well.

[SIZE=small]1[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeSean McCoy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]2[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Jamal Charles[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]3[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Giovani Bernard[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]4[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Doug Martin[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]5[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Eddie Lacy[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]6[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]CJ Spiller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]7[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]LeVeon Bell[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]8[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Adrian Peterson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]9[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Marshawn Lynch[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]10[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Ryan Matthews[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]11[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Matt Forte[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]12[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Trent Richardson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]13[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Ray Rice[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]14[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]David Wilson[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]15[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Arian Foster[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]16[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Demarco Murray[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]17[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Alfred Morris[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]18[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Reggie Bush[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]19[/SIZE] [SIZE=small]Lamar Miller[/SIZE]

[SIZE=small]20 [/SIZE][SIZE=small]Christine Michael[/SIZE]

THIS

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:
Here's my current top 20 (ppr). I think you could certainly make a case for bumping a few RBs up ahead of him - but all of those in the 10-20 range have some warts as well.

No Denver RB ? You see it turning into more of a timeshare between Moreno and Ball ?

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

Not a bad list but it seems a little heavily biased towards age. I think Martin is way too high and Bernard at #3 seems a bit crazy. Bell looks like a very mediocre talent yet cracks top 10. Wilson may not play again and Michael has had less than a handful of NFL snaps. But they are all young, thus my feeling that your mental algorithm is a bit skewed on age. But I like a good contrarian list. Thanks for posting it.

I think Ben Tate should be on there and Zac Stacy belongs no deeper than #3 as far as rookies go. If Cincy keeps Bernard as a CoP back then Stacy will outscore him.

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

1 LeSean McCoy

2 Jamal Charles

3 Giovani Bernard

4 Doug Martin

5 Eddie Lacy

6 CJ Spiller

7 LeVeon Bell

8 Adrian Peterson

9 Marshawn Lynch

10 Ryan Matthews

11 Matt Forte

12 Trent Richardson

13 Ray Rice

14 David Wilson

15 Arian Foster

16 Demarco Murray

17 Alfred Morris

18 Reggie Bush

19 Lamar Miller

20 Christine Michael
No respect for Forte

I traded Mathews in my dynasty league along with a 1st, couple 2nds and a 3rd for Trent and was told Mathews was worthless and I ripped the other guy off by most of the league......

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

1 LeSean McCoy

2 Jamal Charles

3 Giovani Bernard

4 Doug Martin

5 Eddie Lacy

6 CJ Spiller

7 LeVeon Bell

8 Adrian Peterson

9 Marshawn Lynch

10 Ryan Matthews

11 Matt Forte

12 Trent Richardson

13 Ray Rice

14 David Wilson

15 Arian Foster

16 Demarco Murray

17 Alfred Morris

18 Reggie Bush

19 Lamar Miller

20 Christine Michael
No Denver RB ? You see it turning into more of a timeshare between Moreno and Ball ?
I have Ball at 21, but he will ikely move up a bit. I have a feeling the Broncos let Moreno walk in free agency and I think his production drops away from Denver.

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

1 LeSean McCoy

2 Jamal Charles

3 Giovani Bernard

4 Doug Martin

5 Eddie Lacy

6 CJ Spiller

7 LeVeon Bell

8 Adrian Peterson

9 Marshawn Lynch

10 Ryan Matthews

11 Matt Forte

12 Trent Richardson

13 Ray Rice

14 David Wilson

15 Arian Foster

16 Demarco Murray

17 Alfred Morris

18 Reggie Bush

19 Lamar Miller

20 Christine Michael
Not a bad list but it seems a little heavily biased towards age. I think Martin is way too high and Bernard at #3 seems a bit crazy. Bell looks like a very mediocre talent yet cracks top 10. Wilson may not play again and Michael has had less than a handful of NFL snaps. But they are all young, thus my feeling that your mental algorithm is a bit skewed on age. But I like a good contrarian list. Thanks for posting it.

I think Ben Tate should be on there and Zac Stacy belongs no deeper than #3 as far as rookies go. If Cincy keeps Bernard as a CoP back then Stacy will outscore him.
Gio is capable of being more than just a COP back. At 205 and with room to bulk up a bit more he's not an exceptionally small back.

I'd probably have to agree that Wilson needs to drop a bit, but I'm just a big beleiver in his talent and I'm not too worried about his injury yet.

Disagree with your assessment of Bell. He's the youngest back in the league and it's the Pitt o-line that makes him look mediocre at times. He has quick feet, great agility and soft hands for a back his size.

Tate and Stacy are just outside and could move up with a little more situational certainty this offseason. St. Louis has a ton of picks in this draft and Tate still needs to sign somewhere with a path to a starting gig (my hope is he will).

Fools gold. People hanging on to him going into 2014 will be kicking themselves. One good season does not a career make. I still think he's a sell high, most likely in the offseason since most trade deadlines have passed.

Fools gold. People hanging on to him going into 2014 will be kicking themselves. One good season does not a career make. I still think he's a sell high, most likely in the offseason since most trade deadlines have passed.
He now has two seasons with 1000k rushing and will probably hit the 1.4k mark for combined yards for the second time in his 4 year career. He wasn't the starter his rookie year and his 3rd year was cut short with injuries. I really don't get the hate this guy gets.

Sure he was probably a reach for the Chargers in the first, but would it make him a better fantasy player if he had fallen to the 2nd or 3rd? Maybe everyone is still mad they got burned by his injury season and can't see past it.

The point is, he's running really well right now in a offense that is on the upswing. They look to be expanding his role of late and I can't see both him and Woodhead being productive in this backfield. I don't see what isn't to like. I got him in the 5th in redraft in 2 leagues and his value based on his ADP has been amazing.

Lol 1good season? He's already finished top 10 just 2years ago. Get your fact straight before making a statement.

You clearly sold cheap. Anyone that has should be kicking themselves.

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

1 LeSean McCoy

2 Jamal Charles

3 Giovani Bernard

4 Doug Martin

5 Eddie Lacy

6 CJ Spiller

7 LeVeon Bell

8 Adrian Peterson

9 Marshawn Lynch

10 Ryan Matthews

11 Matt Forte

12 Trent Richardson

13 Ray Rice

14 David Wilson

15 Arian Foster

16 Demarco Murray

17 Alfred Morris

18 Reggie Bush

19 Lamar Miller

20 Christine Michael

Gio is capable of being more than just a COP back. At 205 and with room to bulk up a bit more he's not an exceptionally small back.

I'd probably have to agree that Wilson needs to drop a bit, but I'm just a big beleiver in his talent and I'm not too worried about his injury yet.

Disagree with your assessment of Bell. He's the youngest back in the league and it's the Pitt o-line that makes him look mediocre at times. He has quick feet, great agility and soft hands for a back his size.

Tate and Stacy are just outside and could move up with a little more situational certainty this offseason. St. Louis has a ton of picks in this draft and Tate still needs to sign somewhere with a path to a starting gig (my hope is he will).
Oh, I didn't mean to imply that Gio wasn't capable of being more than just a CoP back at all. If you look at what I wrote I said if Cincy keeps him as a CoP back. Organizational usage can affect a guy's value as much as his talent. Kind of like how Mathews is a great receiver but SD barely utilizes that aspect of his game.

I was a little brief on my dismissal of Bell as a top 10 dynasty back. I'll elaborate a bit. I have liked the way Bell looks catching the ball out of the backfield but I'm not that impressed with his running. Kind of like how I've always felt about Ray Rice. Everyone was always shocked when Rice would show up at the bottom of the elusiveness ratings, but it made sense to me. I guess we'll see where he goes from here but I'm not ready to crown Bell top 10 just yet. I like Stacy better. His line isn't exactly impressive and he's playing with a much worse passing offense. He's 5" shorter but only 15 lbs lighter which is typically a winning combo for a RB. Slightly better combine stats. I can't see StL drafting a RB early, but you're right that it should at least be mentioned as a possibility.

Dr. Octopus said:
Coeur de Lion said:

1 LeSean McCoy

2 Jamal Charles

3 Giovani Bernard

4 Doug Martin

5 Eddie Lacy

6 CJ Spiller

7 LeVeon Bell

8 Adrian Peterson

9 Marshawn Lynch

10 Ryan Matthews

11 Matt Forte

12 Trent Richardson

13 Ray Rice

14 David Wilson

15 Arian Foster

16 Demarco Murray

17 Alfred Morris

18 Reggie Bush

19 Lamar Miller

20 Christine Michael

I think you have to include Gore or Lattimore or just reserve a spot for "SF RB" in that top 15-17 somewhere. THere is production to be had from that source.

I agree that Tate probably makes a similar contribution in the top 18 or so somewhere next year.

It all depends on where guys end up and what the commitments are and such but another guy that I think, IF HEALTHY, you easily put right there in this conversation is Ahmad Bradshaw. He needs help in health and going to the right spot but he can produce in that top 18 range, easily.

All in all, I think what the Chargers have done with Matthews these past 2 games and what he has done with those chances (I actually saw him in at the GL last week for multiple palyts...woohoo) is what I kind of expected all year from him (I was one of the people thinking he would have a really nice season). If that continues, I think he is easily a top 17 or so guy but I can't possibly put him at top 10. There is still a good number of better talent/more durable/better situation guys floating around. In a good season, the Patriots, Giants, Dolphins, Texans, Redskins, Bucs, and even the Panthers can all have very solid ff production out of their running games.

First issue: to be a "sell high" a player's perceived value must actually be high. That's not the case here, unless you're thinking that getting back low-end RB2 value is "high." I agree that trading the guy for a true nucleus, cornerstone player would be great, but in the vast majority of decent leagues that just ain't happening. You're not getting a high 1st for the guy either.

Second issue: considering the RB20 / late 6th round startup pricetag, what's not to like about Ryan Matthews? He's not old (26) -- younger than Jamaal Charles and the same age as CJ Spiller. He was a high first round pick in the NFL draft. He has strong career efficiency metrics (4.4 YPC) despite running behind a line that has largely been pretty bad, and spending a big chunk of his career in an offense in decline. His volume production is good, too, at 86.5 YFS / game (so almost 1400 / 16 games). He's a good receiver, despite inconsistent usage in that role (50 catches 2 years ago), and regardless, he's never been a total liability in that area like an Alfred Morris or a Michael Turner. His usage is clearly trending up right now either way. Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the eyeball test, but Matthews certainly passes it.

The negativity on Matthews seems to boil down to the tired old "injury-prone" myth almost entirely, and guess what? He's missed a total of 10 games in his four year career, which isn't awful at all. In fact, it's less than workhorses like Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster have missed over the same span. Players, and RBs in particular, get injured. Welcome to the NFL.

There are certainly some bitter Chargers fans out there who are upset because it's probably not the best move to trade up and take a RB high in the 1st in today's NFL, and also because Matthews isn't a generational talent like LT was. But that's not Matthews' fault, nor is it relevant to FF. Personally, I'm all for it as it will help me buy Matthews cheap in the leagues where I don't already own him. Young RB1 upside (proven in 2011) with a RB2 floor (barring injury, which is true for virtually EVERY player) at RB3 prices? Sign me up.

One good season? Check again. 2 yrs ago he was a top ten rb. Last year he was hurt. This year another good season.

Lol 1good season? He's already finished top 10 just 2years ago. Get your fact straight before making a statement. You clearly sold cheap. Anyone that has should be kicking themselves.
Missed this before I posted

Coeur de Lion said:
Shanahanigans said:
First issue: to be a "sell high" a player's perceived value must actually be high. That's not the case here, unless you're thinking that getting back low-end RB2 value is "high." I agree that trading the guy for a true nucleus, cornerstone player would be great, but in the vast majority of decent leagues that just ain't happening. You're not getting a high 1st for the guy either.

Second issue: considering the RB20 / late 6th round startup pricetag, what's not to like about Ryan Matthews? He's not old (26) -- younger than Jamaal Charles and the same age as CJ Spiller. He was a high first round pick in the NFL draft. He has strong career efficiency metrics (4.4 YPC) despite running behind a line that has largely been pretty bad, and spending a big chunk of his career in an offense in decline. His volume production is good, too, at 86.5 YFS / game (so almost 1400 / 16 games). He's a good receiver, despite inconsistent usage in that role (50 catches 2 years ago), and regardless, he's never been a total liability in that area like an Alfred Morris or a Michael Turner. His usage is clearly trending up right now either way. Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the eyeball test, but Matthews certainly passes it.

The negativity on Matthews seems to boil down to the tired old "injury-prone" myth almost entirely, and guess what? He's missed a total of 10 games in his four year career, which isn't awful at all. In fact, it's less than workhorses like Adrian Peterson and Arian Foster have missed over the same span. Players, and RBs in particular, get injured. Welcome to the NFL.

There are certainly some bitter Chargers fans out there who are upset because it's probably not the best move to trade up and take a RB high in the 1st in today's NFL, and also because Matthews isn't a generational talent like LT was. But that's not Matthews' fault, nor is it relevant to FF. Personally, I'm all for it as it will help me buy Matthews cheap in the leagues where I don't already own him. Young RB1 upside (proven in 2011) with a RB2 floor (barring injury, which is true for virtually EVERY player) at RB3 prices? Sign me up.
He's been playing well in the 2nd half, especially that past couple games in the playoffs, but how many owners didn't even get to the playoffs due to him being RB33 in the first half of the season?

Coeur de Lion said:
Shanahanigans said:
First issue: to be a "sell high" a player's perceived value must actually be high. That's not the case here, unless you're thinking that getting back low-end RB2 value is "high." I agree that trading the guy for a true nucleus, cornerstone player would be great, but in the vast majority of decent leagues that just ain't happening. You're not getting a high 1st for the guy either.Second issue: considering the RB20 / late 6th round startup pricetag, what's not to like about Ryan Matthews? He's not old (26) -- younger than Jamaal Charles and the same age as CJ Spiller. He was a high first round pick in the NFL draft. He has strong career efficiency metrics (4.4 YPC) despite running behind a line that has largely been pretty bad, and spending a big chunk of his career in an offense in decline. His volume production is good, too, at 86.5 YFS / game (so almost 1400 / 16 games). He's a good receiver, despite inconsistent usage in that role (50 catches 2 years ago), and regardless, he's never been a total liability in that area like an Alfred Morris or a Michael Turner. His usage is clearly trending up right now either way. Finally, I'm not a huge fan of the eyeball test, but Matthews certainly passes it.

He's been playing well in the 2nd half, especially that past couple games in the playoffs, but how many owners didn't even get to the playoffs due to him being RB33 in the first half of the season?
Ehhh, variance happens to everyone, and Matthews had zero rushing TDs on his first 100+ carries this year. Either way, he was a 5th / 6th rounder in redraft leagues this year so performing as a RB3 during the first 8 games is pretty far from being a team killer. In dynasty, yeah, if you took him in the 1st round of a startup in between the 2011 / 2012 seasons, you're likely not super thrilled overall, but even in that case, after last year, I doubt too many people were banking on him as a RB1 anchor in 2013. I think that his disappointing 2012 on the heels of being taken in the 1st that year is really lingering for folks -- he's a good RB both in NFL and FF terms.

Coeur de Lion said:
Shanahanigans said:

:goodposting:

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:
Lol 1good season? He's already finished top 10 just 2years ago. Get your fact straight before making a statement.

Never owned him and never will. I don't usually bump threads, but I definitely will when Mathews goes back to his regular mediocre self next year.

I was able to grab Mathews in the 6th of our 14-team dynasty league this year. At the time I figured it was a "what the hell" pick. He's definitely exceeded my expectations this year. I think he's finally with a coaching staff that trusts him. The talent has never been a question for him. Norv just didn't trust him while he was there for some reason. Yes, he's had an injury history, but he's still relatively young. As for as value right now, I'm not sure. I don't think I'd move him right now because I don't think I'd fair value for him, even though he's havving a really solid year. But if I go into next year with him as my RB2, I'll be happy.

Love what he is doing right now ..... currently my RB3/4 for next year with McCoy, DMart, Vereen and TRich

I agree that he is a buy low or hold ...everyone remembers his injuries but not this years #'s. I don't think anyone is getting what a top 15 RB is worth

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:
Lol 1good season? He's already finished top 10 just 2years ago. Get your fact straight before making a statement.You clearly sold cheap. Anyone that has should be kicking themselves.
Never owned him and never will. I don't usually bump threads, but I definitely will when Mathews goes back to his regular mediocre self next year.
Still waiting for you to unpack your opinion. I get it, you don't like Matthews.

Why don't you like the guy? That's a far more valuable discussion than just threatening a bump next year if you happen to be right.

I was never a huge fan of the guy, and avoided him in rookie drafts the year he came out. I wanted no part of him at the huge prices he commanded after 2011. But then his value plummeted after two freak broken collarbones last year and some funky usage patterns / TD variance early this year -- and now he's quietly been RB9 the past 5 weeks, and looking great doing it, while healthy Woodhead is taking the pure COP role he seems best suited for. The market is lagging behind the way things are currently trending, and Matthews is still sitting as low as dynasty RB37 (!!!) in "expert" rankings on the best site FF site on the web. How, exactly, is he "fool's gold" in any way when you can get him for peanuts?

SD was smart with him early, kept him healthy and it's paid off the past few months. Not a great talent, but a good one cut, explosive guy with + speed.

Glad I have him now, would I want to continue to roll the dice long term, still unsure, but I've seen worse RB2/RB3s.

I've always had a bit of a man crush on Mathews. He's always looked like a talented RB to my eyes. This year, not only does he still look talented, but he's also (finally) showing desire, is holding onto the ball, and is staying healthy. To San Diego's credit, they are rewarding RM with more PT and touches, and he is producing.

Will that continue going forward? Why not? I don't imagine the Chargers will be signing a free agent RB this off season; maybe a mid/late draft pick to take Brown's spot, but I don't see the team bringing anyone in to compete with Mathews. Now it's up to him to stay motivated.

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:
Lol 1good season? He's already finished top 10 just 2years ago. Get your fact straight before making a statement.You clearly sold cheap. Anyone that has should be kicking themselves.
Still waiting for you to unpack your opinion. I get it, you don't like Matthews.

Why don't you like the guy? That's a far more valuable discussion than just threatening a bump next year if you happen to be right.

I was never a huge fan of the guy, and avoided him in rookie drafts the year he came out. I wanted no part of him at the huge prices he commanded after 2011. But then his value plummeted after two freak broken collarbones last year and some funky usage patterns / TD variance early this year -- and now he's quietly been RB9 the past 5 weeks, and looking great doing it, while healthy Woodhead is taking the pure COP role he seems best suited for. The market is lagging behind the way things are currently trending, and Matthews is still sitting as low as dynasty RB37 (!!!) in "expert" rankings on the best site FF site on the web. How, exactly, is he "fool's gold" in any way when you can get him for peanuts?
5 weeks after having been RB33 the first 8 games. On top of being RB27 last year (in PPG). I'm a Chargers fan and want to believe but I have a hard time seeing him ever be someone who can be relied on consistently.

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:

I don't get this. What's the mediocre part? If you've seen him play its impossible to not see the impressive size/power/speed. The only things that have held him back are injuries and ball control. Are you thinking he's going to get hurt again soon or start fumbling again?

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:
Still waiting for you to unpack your opinion. I get it, you don't like Matthews.Why don't you like the guy? That's a far more valuable discussion than just threatening a bump next year if you happen to be right.

5 weeks after having been RB33 the first 8 games. On top of being RB27 last year (in PPG). I'm a Chargers fan and want to believe but I have a hard time seeing him ever be someone who can be relied on consistently.
C'mon now....you're a Chargers fan and you really can't recognize the difference in how he's been used?

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:
Still waiting for you to unpack your opinion. I get it, you don't like Matthews.Why don't you like the guy? That's a far more valuable discussion than just threatening a bump next year if you happen to be right.

That's valid, and I personally won't be jumping to hitch my wagon to the guy as my RB1 in the early rounds next year in any startups, no matter what his numbers end up being the next few weeks. His usage has fluctuated more than I'd ideally like, and two separate coaching staffs have been reluctant to fully hand over the reigns.

That said, those concerns are absolutely accounted for in his current price. I'd argue they're weighted too heavily. Reliability isn't exactly a common characteristic among the guys sitting at 20+ in most people's dynasty RB rankings, and Matthews is behind or around guys like Steven Ridley, Montee Ball, Ben Tate, Darren McFadden, and Lamar Miller. I'd easily take him over the likes of those guys. He's well behind Trent Richardson, which is absurd. There's an argument for older more reliable players like Chris Johnson and Reggie Bush over Matthews, but it's not unreasonable to prefer Matthews, either, given his 2 year age advantage.

Bottom line for me is the value here (as it always is). Given today's brutally bad dynasty RB landscape, Matthews is a RB15ish player IMO currently being valued at RB25, making him a strong buy. He's pretty unlikely to be a homerun (although who knows as a UFA after 2014) due to Woodhead's presence siphoning off catches, but I'll gladly take the easy double here.

He was one of my top buy candidates at RB this past offseason and I'm pleased with his progress. He's been a top 10 RB over the last half season. I think he makes perfect sense as a RB2. You don't want him as your lead guy, but he's fine as your #2 where you don't necessarily need him to be money every week. I don't exactly trust his durability or long term longevity (don't really see him as a guy who will be awesome at 30 for example), but there's nothing wrong with him as a second option while you groom other players behind him.

As I see it, the biggest problem with Mathews is that he's potentially one critical fumble/mental blunder/nagging injury away from losing the trust from his coaching staff (and recently rekindled fantasy relevance/dynasty value). Unfortunately, these are things that tend to happen to NFL running backs. That makes him a risky proposition if your are intending to rely on him for production. That risk when combined with his reputation (which is so ingrained at this point that it will never completely go away, whether its currently deserved or not) also makes him a poor candidate for value flipping (speculatively buying low with the hope of selling much higher later). He's just not going to be a player that people will ever be really excited to own. Think back to the Miller and Wilson mania from this last offseason for an example of what I mean.

If you can get him cheap, he's worth an add. Personally, I wouldn't invest in him at RB2 prices.

As I see it, the biggest problem with Mathews is that he's potentially one critical fumble/mental blunder/nagging injury away from losing the trust from his coaching staff
So if he fumbles once, they'll turn to Ronnie Brown?
The alternative would be Woodhead, and I think it would be silly to discount that risk as they did that very thing earlier this season. Mathews lost a fumble about halfway through the Philly game inside the 10. He didn't get another touch or target inside the 10 until the 4th quarter of the JAX game five games later with his team already up 17-6. He only had 2 other touches or targets inside the 20 over that span of time.

Mathews hasn't lost a fumble since. Who knows what will happen the next time he does (and he will), especially if it's near the endzone.

C'mon now....you're a Chargers fan and you really can't recognize the difference in how he's been used?
Mathews is running the hardest I've ever seen him - no dancing, just hit the hole and go. I would expect him to have another 1000 yard season next year if he stays healthy but he'll continue to be in a RBBC with Woodhead (which I think is actually the best thing for him).

Woodhead isn't cut out for featured duty and the Chargers have won a couple big games since upping Mathews's workload. I don't think there's too much risk of him falling back into the RB3 abyss when healthy. The biggest challenge will be surviving this kind of workload over an extended time period.

T.Rex said:
Shanahanigans said:

Mathews has been a thoroughly unimpressive runner through his first four seasons in the NFL. He is a one cut runner who lacks agility, vision, toughness, and is a fumbler. Beyond that, he is known to be a party animal throughout San Diego, and there have been multiple reports in regard to his lack of dedication to the game. Plus, the San Diego offensive line is playing above their talent level right now, and I believe they too will return to normalcy soon enough. And let's not forget about Danny Woodhead, who will continue to siphon catches IF Mathews is even in a Charger uniform next year (he's a UFA). Last, he will be 27 next year, and will begin his inevitable physical decline next season. He is comparable to Knowshon Moreno, imminently replaceable due to a lack of talent, and someone I have been beating the drum to sell high on all season (which most people are regretting not doing at this point in the season).

He was the biggest bust of the year last year. If you want to jump back on the bandwagon after a string of a few good games, and place him back on that pedestal of the 2012 offseason, be my guest. But I wont be on board. He is a perfect sell high candidate this offseason in my book.

Oh, and he's a World of Warcraft junkie too, which I will not stand for! :lol:

Mathews has been a thoroughly unimpressive runner through his first four seasons in the NFL.
:bs:

4.4 YPC on 800 carries. It's not like San Diego has been a run blocking juggernaut all the while.
:goodposting:

Not to mention the strawman he created equating Matthews' preseason 2012 value as a top-5 RB with his value now.
And all of my other arguments? Youre rating Mathews as a borderline RB1. That's crazy talk imo. I wouldn't trade a 1st Round pick for him that's for sure, would you? Any RB2 or higher should warrant a late 1st Round pick trade value.

Users who are viewing this thread