What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Ryan Tannehill (1 Viewer)

Mike Mayock: Ryan Tannehill not a top-10 draft pick

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

Around The League editor

In so many ways, this NFL draft will turn on where Ryan Tannehill is chosen. Our own Jason La Canfora points out there's next to no chance Tannehill will get past the first 11 picks, but is he really worthy of that high a selection?

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock doesn't believe so.

Based just on film of his 19 starts, Tannehill "shouldn't be a top-10 pick. ... But in today's NFL, there's a good chance he will be," Mayock said Thursday on a conference call with reporters.

Mayock mentioned that Tannehill's film alone might not even be worth a top-15 or top-20 pick. He's "at least a year away." Mayock doesn't believe the Cleveland Browns will go after Tannehill at No. 4, instead targeting Brandon Weeden later in the draft. But it would be very surprising if Tannehill slipped past the Miami Dolphins at No. 8. Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said Thursday he won't be "pressured" to take Tannehill.

Some team will be. That's the cost of finding a quarterback.
Oh noes! A whole year!?

Mike Mayock: Ryan Tannehill not a top-10 draft pick

By Gregg Rosenthal NFL.com

Around The League editor

In so many ways, this NFL draft will turn on where Ryan Tannehill is chosen. Our own Jason La Canfora points out there's next to no chance Tannehill will get past the first 11 picks, but is he really worthy of that high a selection?

NFL Network draft expert Mike Mayock doesn't believe so.

Based just on film of his 19 starts, Tannehill "shouldn't be a top-10 pick. ... But in today's NFL, there's a good chance he will be," Mayock said Thursday on a conference call with reporters.

Mayock mentioned that Tannehill's film alone might not even be worth a top-15 or top-20 pick. He's "at least a year away." Mayock doesn't believe the Cleveland Browns will go after Tannehill at No. 4, instead targeting Brandon Weeden later in the draft. But it would be very surprising if Tannehill slipped past the Miami Dolphins at No. 8. Dolphins general manager Jeff Ireland said Thursday he won't be "pressured" to take Tannehill.

Some team will be. That's the cost of finding a quarterback.
Oh noes! A whole year!?
For a head coach1. A year could be his job

2. This guy has very high bust rate and that could be his job

Why would a head coach want that?

Oh noes! A whole year!?
For a head coach1. A year could be his job

2. This guy has very high bust rate and that could be his job

Why would a head coach want that?
Considering where he would go, let's say Cleveland or Miami, he wouldn't be a coach killer in either of those places.And really, I was just pointing out how fast it's gone from expecting a QB to watch and learn to demanding that he perform immediately. That doesn't bode well for the NFL, IMO, given how QB-centric it's become.

Wasn't Mayock raving about Tannehill to the Browns at 4 just a few weeks ago?

I used to like him, but he's developed some talk out of both sides of his mouth/puppet tendendices recently.

Tannehill should go to a team like the Browns, Seahawks, Chiefs or Dolphins....... In Round 2. Drooling over rotten meat because you currently only have rotten meat is a recipe for indigestion.
In the end, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he dropped to the end of the first round or even into round 2. Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn & Jimmy Clausen all were talked about as top ten locks leading up to the draft. It's not unusual for guys to fall on draft day.
And there is the reason why teams are tempted early...if he does turn out to be really good, then everyone remembers that your team "could have had him" at a certain spot...

Last edited by a moderator:
Tannehill should go to a team like the Browns, Seahawks, Chiefs or Dolphins....... In Round 2. Drooling over rotten meat because you currently only have rotten meat is a recipe for indigestion.
In the end, it wouldn't surprise me at all if he dropped to the end of the first round or even into round 2. Guys like Aaron Rodgers, Brady Quinn & Jimmy Clausen all were talked about as top ten locks leading up to the draft. It's not unusual for guys to fall on draft day.
And there is the reason why teams are tempted early...if he does turn out to be really good, then everyone remembers that your team "could have had him" at a certain spot...
Ah yes, when the Vikes passed on Rodgers twice to take Troy Williamson and Erasmus James. Good times...gooood times.

how many games has he started at QB ??
19. Which is three more than Mark Sanchez did at USC.
Keep hearing "experts" hammering away at Tannehills number of starts as a reason he's a project and not ready to see the field. Sanchez might be a poor example but what about Cam Newton? He only started 14 games on the major college level, had no offseason team contact and reduced training camp and just threw down one of the top rookie QB years ever.

Garrard: Ryan Tannehill knows offense 'better than vets'

By Marc Sessler NFL.com

Writer

The Miami Dolphins signed quarterback David Garrard to bring a dose of veteran security to a position that loomed as a question mark before the draft.

After the organization grabbed Ryan Tannehill with the eighth overall pick, Garrard's place in the QB pecking order is perilous. Last year's starter, Matt Moore, is a likely candidate to open the season under center and we expect Tannehill to be pushed into action before long.

One reason for Tannehill's rise in Miami has to do with his progress off the field. He hit the scene with a deep familiarity of Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman's attack, which Garrard attested to Thursday on SiriusXM Blitz:

@AdamSchein

Garrard on Tannehill.."First time I've been in a meeting room where the rookie knows the offense better than the veterans."

Sherman was Tannehill's coach for four seasons at Texas A&M. While the Dolphins insist their history didn't seal the team's decision to draft Tannehill, it's now paying dividends.Draft experts talked for months about Tannehill being a year away from starting in the NFL. That sounded appropriate in February. It sounds ludicrous here in May. The writing is on the wall in South Beach.

Of course Tannehill knows the offense better than anyone, it's exactly the same playbook he has had for the last 2-3 years so I would expect him to know more.

Ex-Dolphins have been watching him and one thing they point out that he has to get used to in a hurray is very tight coverage. In college he had receivers getting 5-10 yard cushions all the time and that won't happen often if at all in the NFL.

Keep hearing "experts" hammering away at Tannehills number of starts as a reason he's a project and not ready to see the field. Sanchez might be a poor example but what about Cam Newton? He only started 14 games on the major college level, had no offseason team contact and reduced training camp and just threw down one of the top rookie QB years ever.
I think there is a stark difference between the physical abilities of all three of these guys when compared to one another so its hard to make that type of comparison. Tannehill and Newton can both make passes that Sanchez won't even attempt.Overall, I thought it was a desperation play by the Dolphins and they could have done better.

Yes Cam Newton didn't start many games, but at least he destroyed the best defensive conference the country in the games he did play to a tune of a 66% completion percentage, a over 4/1 TD/INT ratio, and an absurd 10.2 YPA. Tannehill on the other hand, didn't start many games and the ones he did he struggled mightily against the better defenses in the BIG12 (which really weren't good beside Texas). Statistically, there are little to no similarities between Tannehill and Newton's college career.

Yes Cam Newton didn't start many games, but at least he destroyed the best defensive conference the country in the games he did play to a tune of a 66% completion percentage, a over 4/1 TD/INT ratio, and an absurd 10.2 YPA. Tannehill on the other hand, didn't start many games and the ones he did he struggled mightily against the better defenses in the BIG12 (which really weren't good beside Texas). Statistically, there are little to no similarities between Tannehill and Newton's college career.
Sure and all that's great when you want to debate who is better prospect between Tannehill and Newton but the fact still remains Tannehill started more games of major college football than Newton did which was my point. If scouts or NFL talking heads want to say Tannehill is not a great prospect that's all fine and good but I don't see how they can all proclaim he's a project not ready to take the field because he only has 19 major college starts when Cam only had 14.And let's not let revisionist history take over here either. A lot of people thought the Panthers reached for Cam at #1 and that he had a long long way to go as an NFL passer. As late as the pre-season last year he looked lost than the season started and took the league by storm.My point is not so say Tannehill is better than Cam it's that I simply don't understand the assumption he's not NFL ready because he did not play enough games. Especially when he's going to be running the same offense he basically ran in college. It could be Tannehill is just not good and will never be NFL ready but it won't be because he only started 19 games in college.

Matt Moore expected to be Dolphins' starting QB

By Jeff Darlington

Reporter

ATLANTA -- Upon his arrival at the NFL's spring league meeting, Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross told NFL.com and NFL Network that he expects Matt Moore to be the starting quarterback when the 2012 season begins.

"I don't think they're going to rush (Ryan Tannehill) into anything," Ross said. "He's going to have to win the starting job. I think Matt Moore will probably be the starter, and I wish him the best."

Asked when he expects Tannehill to take over the job, Ross didn't discount the possibility of Moore remaining the man in Miami.

"Whenever (Tannehill) is ready," Ross said. "And if Matt Moore develops, so be it. We want a franchise quarterback."

After signing quarterback David Garrard, the Dolphins took Tannehill with the eighth overall pick in the 2012 NFL Draft, giving them three ostensible competitors for the starting job.

Ross had previously indicated that the Dolphins would not be pushing Tannehill too far too fast, telling The Palm Beach Post over the weekend that he doesn't want the young quarterback to be placed in a situation he isn't ready to handle.

"The important thing is not to have great expectations up front, and bring him along," Ross told the newspaper.

Ryan Tannehill gets a taste of NFL speed in OTAs

By Marc Sessler

Writer

Miami Dolphins owner Stephen Ross pointed to Matt Moore as the team's likely starter heading into the season.

Popular thinking suggests Moore's top competition will come from rookie Ryan Tannehill, but another quarterback showed promise during Tuesday's gathering.

"I've consulted with the jury, and we're giving today's OTA session to David Garrard. Decision making is quick. Tannehill is slow," wrote Omar Kelly of the South Florida Sun Sentinel.

After months of theorizing on quarterback battles league-wide, we're finally seeing action on the field, but snapshots in May beg for perspective. These are practices, largely against South Florida's atmosphere and little more. If Tannehill looked anything but slow Tuesday, we'd be surprised.

"It's faster," Tannehill told reporters. "I mean it kind of is what I thought it would be. It's faster. Guys are faster. The play happens faster. But I was expecting it. You know, I wasn't in a situation where I kind of sat back and said. 'Wow, so fast.' It is what it is. It's ... just about getting adjusted to it."

Tannehill was asked to respond to the owner's theory that Moore would start Week 1: "I'm going to go out and compete every day," Tannehill said. "Whatever the situation is, I'm here to compete. I'm here to one day play, so I'm going to go out and give my best every day and whatever the decision is at the end of camp then that's what it is."

Miami's quarterback battle remains intriguing, primarily because of Tannehill. Garrard spoke again Tuesday about the rookie's grasp of the offense, suggesting Tannehill doesn't have "starry eyes," but is instead "giving us tips on things." That is unusual for May, but we're not reading too much into what is seen or heard down in Miami. There are miles to go in the race for the team's starting role.

Realistic expectations for Ryan Tannehill

By James Walker | ESPN.com

Quarterback Ryan Tannehill is about to accomplish something even the great Dan Marino couldn’t with the Miami Dolphins.

Tannehill, a rookie, will be Miami’s Week 1 starter Sept. 9 against the Houston Texans. Marino, a Hall of Famer, didn’t see his first NFL action until Week 3 of his 1983 rookie season and finished with nine starts in 11 games.

The Tannehill era is beginning sooner than expected. A surprising series of events -- which included a knee injury to veteran quarterback David Garrard and struggles from former starter Matt Moore -- propelled him into the starting lineup. This year’s No. 8 overall pick has been a fast learner, in part due to his collegiate experience in a West Coast system run by current Dolphins offensive coordinator Mike Sherman.

Sept. 9 is not only historic for the Dolphins, but it’s a good personal moment for Tannehill. He gets to make his NFL debut where it all started -- in his home state of Texas.

"If it would have been in Buffalo or San Diego, I’m excited," Tannehill said this week. "Obviously, it’s nice to go back to my home state. I’ll have a lot of friends and family there, but I’m just excited to play in my first real NFL game, a real season opener. I’m excited for this team. I’m excited for what we can do."

But what are realistic expectations for Tannehill in 2012? He is one of five rookie quarterbacks -- including four first-rounders -- who will start in Week 1. That’s an NFL record.

The AFC East blog, with an assist from ESPN Stats & Information, crunched some numbers on rookie quarterbacks who started in Week 1 from the past five years. Here's what we found:

(click on linked article to see the chart)

These average numbers are respectable for Tannehill and should be the bar for his rookie season. If he throws for more than 3,100 yards and has more touchdowns than interceptions, it would be a great first season. The average passer rating also was 77.2, which is not bad.

But you have to consider what many of these quarterbacks had around them as rookies and how that compares to Tannehill’s supporting cast in Miami. For example, Stafford had stud receiver Calvin Johnson in Detroit. Ryan had Roddy White in Atlanta. Dalton had A.J. Green in Cincinnati and Newton had Steve Smith in Carolina. These are all legitimate No. 1 receivers who make the job of a rookie quarterback much easier.

Tannehill has no receiver close to that caliber, and it certainly will hurt the rookie. Tannehill is working with one of the worst receiving corps in the NFL. His top targets include Legedu Naanee, Davone Bess and, if healthy, Brian Hartline.

Miami needs receivers in the worst way. There is no getting around it. The Dolphins have an unproductive group that’s having trouble making plays and catching the football this preseason. Miami has to be concerned that this could stunt Tannehill’s growth.

"Well, they haven't helped matters," Sherman said of his receivers. "I wish they would say, ‘Hey, I’m the guy’ and jump up on the table by having a knockout performance, and that hasn’t necessarily happened just yet. ... I think we’ll keep Bess. I can pretty much guarantee that, but there’s only one of him. We need to fill in the other spots."

The good thing I noticed about Tannehill is that he hasn't appeared to be shaken by the drops and poor play from his receivers. In many cases, he’s taken the blame, which is a smart move on his part. He must stay poised throughout this process and weather the initial growing pains.

Getting Tannehill better receivers could come via trade or free agency. The Dolphins have a wealth of draft picks. Miami has a first-round pick, two second-rounders and two third-rounders in the 2013 draft. That is valuable ammunition that could potentially land a receiver for this season. We mentioned Green Bay Packers backup receiver James Jones as a potential target. Dolphins head coach Joe Philbin coached Jones when Philbin was the offensive coordinator in Green Bay.

But the most likely option is scanning the waiver wire for veterans released by other teams. There will be plenty of receivers becoming available Friday when teams are mandated to trim rosters from 75 to 53 players. Veteran pass-catchers such as tight end Chris Cooley and receivers Jabar Gaffney and Donte Stallworth already have hit the open market.

Until then, Wednesday night will be the final tune-up for Tannehill with the group he has. The Dolphins travel to play the Dallas Cowboys in the preseason finale. But after that, the Dolphins and Tannehill are playing for keeps.

"I don’t know exactly how many snaps I’ll get, but I want to go out and take advantage of every rep," Tannehill said. "Really play like we can as an offense [and] really move the ball and be consistent. I think that’s the one thing that I’ve kind of focused on is being more consistent as an offense, being more consistent as a quarterback."

He's not bad, is he?

I'm wondering if Browns fans are wishing their club had taken Tannehill over Richardson (although Weeden isn't looking terrible either)...

He's not bad, is he?I'm wondering if Browns fans are wishing their club had taken Tannehill over Richardson (although Weeden isn't looking terrible either)...
Richardson has been a stud, so I doubt it. Weeden/Trent/Josh Gordon seem like a pretty damn nice trio for now.

Anyone like Tannehill this week? I'm in a 2qb league and debating starting him over Henne. Mark Sanchez threw for over 300 yards twice against the Pats. Even in the London game the Rams lost 45-7, Bradford still threw for over 200 yards and had a TD. Seems like every opposing QB has been great against the Pats from a numbers standpoint. Tannehill at home, coming off a nice game, anyone think he could have a really nice game this week? I feel like his floor/ceiling is higher than Henne's. Am I wrong?

Hey any homers or guys with good QB knowledge think this guy will turn out good? Watched some videos on him and he looks up and down. Real good athlete and upside. Any body see anything with him? Any thoughts on his season so far? 7 tds 12 ints and a decent amount of yardage. If dolphins sign Wallace or someone it'd help.

i'm hopeful to the point i bought a jersey with #17 on it. he is not afraid of standing in the pocket and getting hit. he tends to have balls tipped at the line of scrimmage though so he'll have to work on that.

we desperately need a WR. with a #1WR and then Hartline as #2 and Bess in the slot, I think he would start excelling.

Andy Dufresne said:
He's not bad, is he?I'm wondering if Browns fans are wishing their club had taken Tannehill over Richardson (although Weeden isn't looking terrible either)...
Richardson has been a stud, so I doubt it. Weeden/Trent/Josh Gordon seem like a pretty damn nice trio for now.
How about now? Is Multiple Scores around to chime in?
is Multiple Scores = Keith Lewis? That guy trolls the Ingram threads just like MS used to.

Anyway, I think Tannehill looks legit so far despite losing his LT and never getting to utilize Keller. As things gel with Wallace, I think he'll only get better. I just wish he was running more. An extra 3-4 pts from rushing yds would help his fantasy value a lot. But as an NFL QB, I think he's quite solid.

Give the kid credit, as he started this game off in a complete disaster with the two interceptions, and has now battled his way back into giving his team a chance to come back. His poise is beyond his years of experience, especially considering that he was such a raw prospect coming into the NFL.

I also give him credit, as he has a weak offensive line, a sputtering ground game that isn't helping to take the pressure off, and his collection of receiving weapons are still very underwhelming and trying to develop critical chemistry with him.

Users who are viewing this thread