What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Rye Bread question..... (1 Viewer)

belljr

Footballguy
So this will be an odd question..... I tried googling but I'm still not exactly sure. The short version is wife and I don't like Rye bread. She went out to breakfast with friends and they had Rye toast.... She tried a slice and liked it and it didn't taste like Rye bread she remembers.

Fast forward to last weekend, go out to a different place for breakfast, she tells me the story then orders some rye toast. Comes out she takes one bite and says this is the Rye I remember and don't like it. Its definitely different than the rye from before..... this one has that "Rye smell and aftertaste"......

Any one have any idea? Is this a difference between light and dark rye taste?

Light Rye: This bread is made using white rye flour ground from the center endosperm of the rye berry. This flour does not contain any of the outer seed coat, the bran, or the germ, so the flour (and the bread it eventually makes) stays fairly light in color.
Dark Rye: From what we can tell, dark rye breads can be made in one of two ways. The first version uses white rye flour and the same basic formula as light rye bread, but adds coloring and flavoring agents like molasses, cocoa powder, or instant coffee.

The second, and likely more historically authentic, version uses a different grind of rye flour than light rye loaves. This flour is milled from the outer endosperm, which contains more of the coloring pigments from the rye berry. This flour also tends to be ground more coarsely.

Pumpernickel: Real pumpernickel bread is made using a specific kind of flour called, appropriately enough, pumpernickel flour. This flour is made from coarsely-ground whole rye berries. In some traditional recipes, breadcrumbs left from other rye loaves are added to the dough for pumpernickel bread.

Pumpernickel loaves tend to be dense, dark, and strongly flavored. We think they’re best enjoyed when sliced very thinly and preferably with a shmear of cheese and some thin-sliced smoked salmon!

Marbled Rye: This bread is simply a bit of light rye dough and a bit of dark rye dough braided or rolled together. These two breads have nearly the same density, so they bake together into a uniform texture.
We should also point out that almost all rye breads have a certain percentage of wheat flour added to the dough. Rye has almost no gluten-producing proteins of its own, so additional help is needed to produce an edible loaf.

i assume this comes down to rye bread with and without caraway seeds. you have to ask if the rye is seeded or unseeded. i am not a caraway fan either, so i need unseeded, which is not common. oy
:goodposting: It's probably the caraway seeds, they have a black licorice-type flavor. They are very similar to fennel, which I also despise.

Aside from Drunken Knight's most excellent breakdown, those seeking a deep dive can read here about the two old-school approaches to handling the lesser-rising rye dough issue (as opposed to wheat). Start with the paragraph beginning "There are two common solutions ... "

Pumpernickel: ...
Pumpernickel loaves tend to be dense, dark, and strongly flavored. We think they’re best enjoyed when sliced very thinly and preferably with a shmear of cheese and some thin-sliced smoked salmon!

Pumpernickel is so good.

It sounds like belljr's wife doesn't like that residual sourness that comes with closer-to-authentic rye bread.

@bellr, does your wife like pumpernickel or sourdough?

It’s probably the caraway seeds, like @Chemical X said above.

Most commercial bakeries use a blend of regular wheat flour and rye flour for their ryes. Using all rye flour makes a really, really dense bread that most people don’t enjoy, unless you’re from Scandinavia or want it for a specific purpose- like to top with pickled herring. It also doesn’t rise very well and can have a very “mealy” texture with a tight, dense crumb.

Also, Pumpernickel literally means “the Devil’s farts”. It doesn’t add anything to this dicussion, I just always loved that.

Also, I live caraway seeds. Add them and a little beer to your sauerkraut, and sautée with onions in butter- up your brat game!

Users who are viewing this thread