What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Samuels vs Wilson vs Jackson (1 Viewer)

fantasycurse42 said:
Where is he on Jackson?
has him at #20 and Samuels at #15. I own all three guys and will prob opt to sit Wilson and start Samuels and Jackson (standard league). 

I was able to pick up Jackson, Samuels and Wilson. I have both Conner and Melvin Gordon and have had Ekeler on my roster all year.

I actually decided to drop Ekeler to pick upJackson. I know that's probably not what most would do here, but after watching Jackson make Ekeler look completely inept last week, hearing the coaches talk about Ekeler being worn down and Jackson getting more touches this week, and the likelihood of garbage time in this game I see Jackson clearly being the stronger play. Last week was the second time Ekeler filled in for Gordon this season and he failed miserably in both opportunities. The coaching staff obviously knows they don't get a big win last week without Jackson. I'm actually surprised the FBG staff has Ekeler as high as they do and don't have Jackson higher. This one seems obvious to me. I would personally have Jackson around RB 10 this week and Ekeler RB 20. I think Dodds moved Ekeler down this morning at least.

I was able to pick up Jackson, Samuels and Wilson. I have both Conner and Melvin Gordon and have had Ekeler on my roster all year.

I actually decided to drop Ekeler to pick upJackson. I know that's probably not what most would do here, but after watching Jackson make Ekeler look completely inept last week, hearing the coaches talk about Ekeler being worn down and Jackson getting more touches this week, and the likelihood of garbage time in this game I see Jackson clearly being the stronger play. Last week was the second time Ekeler filled in for Gordon this season and he failed miserably in both opportunities. The coaching staff obviously knows they don't get a big win last week without Jackson. I'm actually surprised the FBG staff has Ekeler as high as they do and don't have Jackson higher. This one seems obvious to me. I would personally have Jackson around RB 10 this week and Ekeler RB 20. I think Dodds moved Ekeler down this morning at least.
I agree with this. I think in the future if Gordon is out, you will see Jackson (or whatever RB they have at that time) be more of the traditional RB and Ekeler keep his complimentary role. I have a bye this week so I guess it doesn't matter, but if my lineup mattered, I would be putting Jackson in there, feel a little leary that I may have guessed wrong, but feel pretty good that he'll get the most run.

shadyridr said:
I somehow got Wilson for $3. Samuels went for $70. So now I have jackson and Wilson. Probably starting them both. 

over who?

right now, i'm leaning samuels over jackson in standard and have to pick one... it's tough! i like jackson's electric playmaking ability but feel like samuels is the better bet... am i wrong???

are you starting jackson over samuels? (and what scoring format?)

over who?

right now, i'm leaning samuels over jackson in standard and have to pick one... it's tough! i like jackson's electric playmaking ability but feel like samuels is the better bet... am i wrong???
I lost Conner and Green this week. So I am starting Jackson AND Wilson over Mack AND Baldwin. I also picked up Zay Jones but right now he is on my bench.

I agree with your sentiments, but think we are in the minority. After watching Jackson's performance, coupled with Lynn's comments about Ekeler being worn down and the Chargers facing the inept Bengal D, I expect him to put up top 12-15 #'s. 

over who?

I own Jackson, Wilson and Samuels. The way I see it, Jackson is my first choice out of the three, as I fully expect 15 plus touches and 100 plus yards and a score. For me, the dilemma is whether or not to go with Samuels or Wilson in a standard league. I think Wilson gets more touches, but that Denver D has been fantastic and I fully expect the Steelers to let Ben throw it 40 plus times this week. Samuels will prob get 8-10 carries and have 5-6 receptions. I'm open to going with Wilson, but I'm going with the better offense.  

over who?

I would put Jackson over Samuels in a heartbeat. I think Samuels is going to disappoint but def in the minority on that one. 

Surprised people would answer with anything other then Wilson, seems extremely clear cut to me.

I don't anticipate Jackson supplanting Ekeler. Sure he looked better then Ekeler in one game he was not used until late in the game and was fresh. Maybe he is better then Ekeler but this is the same coaching staff that was super slow to come around on properly using Hunter Henry last year and no matter how many splash plays Mike Williams makes they seem in no hurry to expand his role.  This is not a staff quick on adjustments or innovation.  Game script should work in his favor but I'm not starting a guy who needs to have his team get ahead to maybe take over in the second half vs a guy in Wilson who is going who is the main guy from snap one.

Samuels main value is catching passes. Wilson caught 8 last week and he got 15 carries. Advantage to guy getting carries and receptions. And Samuels should fall prey to the one of the main things that Jackson might need to rely on, game script. If Steelers get out ahead I'd think that's a recipe for more Ridley.

Wilson is a pass catching RB for a coach who manages to make almost every RB productive running the ball.

This is a no brainer to me picking which one of the 3, where it gets harder is trying to decide between Samuels or Jackson. I do lean Samuels because his role in the passing game should give him a higher floor.

I love that in a playoff week, FF teams are able to pick up their new RB1, RB2 and flex from waivers all at the same time.

I have both Wilson and Jackson in my lineup. Giddy up.

Surprised people would answer with anything other then Wilson, seems extremely clear cut to me.

I don't anticipate Jackson supplanting Ekeler. Sure he looked better then Ekeler in one game he was not used until late in the game and was fresh. Maybe he is better then Ekeler but this is the same coaching staff that was super slow to come around on properly using Hunter Henry last year and no matter how many splash plays Mike Williams makes they seem in no hurry to expand his role.  This is not a staff quick on adjustments or innovation.  Game script should work in his favor but I'm not starting a guy who needs to have his team get ahead to maybe take over in the second half vs a guy in Wilson who is going who is the main guy from snap one.

Samuels main value is catching passes. Wilson caught 8 last week and he got 15 carries. Advantage to guy getting carries and receptions. And Samuels should fall prey to the one of the main things that Jackson might need to rely on, game script. If Steelers get out ahead I'd think that's a recipe for more Ridley.

Wilson is a pass catching RB for a coach who manages to make almost every RB productive running the ball.

This is a no brainer to me picking which one of the 3, where it gets harder is trying to decide between Samuels or Jackson. I do lean Samuels because his role in the passing game should give him a higher floor.
I wouldn't say hes a pass catching RB just because he did it one week

Something's amiss with Wilson's numbers from last week. The eight passes the undrafted rookie caught were the most by any 49ers running back this season, and the 15 targets running backs had overall were also the most in any Niners game this year. Maybe it was part of their game plan? Maybe it was a by-product of being way behind on the scoreboard? Equally odd is Wilson's track record when it comes to catches — he had more than four in just two games over four seasons at North Texas. Point is, you shouldn't expect him to repeat that feat against the Broncos, nor should you expect him to have great success. Denver's opponents haven't fielded a back with 10 or more Fantasy points in three of its last four games, limiting Joe Mixon, James Conner and Lamar Miller, while also keeping Melvin Gordon under 4.0 yards per run. None of the backs scored. It's hard to say no to a runner with 15-touch potential, but Wilson has a foot issue on top of a dearth of experience against a playoff-caliber run defense. His red-zone fumble last week might mean more handles for Alfred Morris, too.

Dave Richard - CBSsports

are you starting jackson over samuels? (and what scoring format?)
I'm starting Jackson over Samuels in PPR. Jackson did have a 19 yard catch on 9 touches last week and has good pass catching ability. I don't see why he couldn't catch 3-4 balls and get 15 plus carries this week after most of his 9 touches came in the 4th quarter with the game on the line against a better opponent. 

I wouldn't say hes a pass catching RB just because he did it one week

No offense to you but I think that analysis by CBS is atrocious. Using college stats which is scheme based is so bad I don't know where to begin. I mean Leveon Bell maxed out at 35 catches. Horrible analysis.

Denver has won three in a row after playing the Chiefs and Texans tough the previous two weeks. They haven't allowed a rushing TD in their last six games. Their rushing defense has been better since allowing two monster rushing performances earlier in the season. I just don't see Wilson having the success he did last week. I think I still start Wilson over Samuels but I'm not starting either of them over Jackson.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is enough for me to go with Jackson and Samuels over Wilson. 
Ok, well using the CBS method of analysis what would you have thought of Bell as a pass catcher if I told you that like Wilson he had exactly 4 games in his college career he caught more then 4 passes.  Or if I phrased it as a guy who did not even average 2 catches a game in his college career and so don't go around thinking that Bell is a pass catching back.

That is amateur analysis.

Ok, well using the CBS method of analysis what would you have thought of Bell as a pass catcher if I told you that like Wilson he had exactly 4 games in his college career he caught more then 4 passes.  Or if I phrased it as a guy who did not even average 2 catches a game in his college career and so don't go around thinking that Bell is a pass catching back.

That is amateur analysis.
Foot issue, stout Denver D, fumbling issues...Doesn't sound like a good formula

I've never seen the guy play but even though "he only did it for one week!" isn't it a good thing that it was last week? Like, the first time he ever got the chance to do it?

This thread appears to be which backup RB that injuries lead to them being fantasy options do you prefer. On that note we might have  a new entry, McGuire. Crowell unable to practice yet with a toe injury, Bowles indicated it's a legit concern and he is a game time decision.

Guys I own Jackson, Ekeler and Wilson.  How would you rank them in full point ppr this week?  I can only start two of them.

I also have Lamar Miller who's been coming on as of late.  I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide who to start.

Guys I own Jackson, Ekeler and Wilson.  How would you rank them in full point ppr this week?  I can only start two of them.

I also have Lamar Miller who's been coming on as of late.  I'm pulling my hair out trying to decide who to start.
I think Miller is no doubter among those 4. Id be pulling my hair out with both Ekeler and Jackson although I think Jackson is the better start. Maybe to just avoid the mess, start Wilson. Id rank Ekeler last.

I think Miller is no doubter among those 4. Id be pulling my hair out with both Ekeler and Jackson although I think Jackson is the better start. Maybe to just avoid the mess, start Wilson. Id rank Ekeler last.
Samuels over Miller in a standard? I'm leaning Samuels because of the matchup. 

Samuels over Miller in a standard? I'm leaning Samuels because of the matchup. 
Id find it hard to bench Miller vs INDY. I feel like he always destroys them. Im not as high on Samuels as others are. That team just refuses to run the ball.

shadyridr said:
Id find it hard to bench Miller vs INDY. I feel like he always destroys them. Im not as high on Samuels as others are. That team just refuses to run the ball.
Sorry, I meant Jeff Wilson on SF

Sorry, I meant Jeff Wilson on SF
Id rank them Jackson, Wilson, Samuels this week and Id rank Miller over all 3 of them. I know my rankings don't jive with the "experts" but that's my gut. I have Jackson & Wilson on one team and Samuels on another.

Jackson looked like the best RB on the field last week, better than Ekeler and J Samuels.  I'd play him over Samuels and Wilson if I had a choice. 

I'm deciding between Samuels/Wilson/Mixon, and that's the order I currently have them, but it's real close.  I could see these guys getting < 15 touches when it's all said and done.

shadyridr said:
Id find it hard to bench Miller vs INDY. I feel like he always destroys them.
A couple of 100 yard games in 2016 but duds in their last 3 games.

Users who are viewing this thread