What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Scottie Sheffler On Defining "Success" (2 Viewers)

Yo it's insane, can't believe it but Louisville mayor said body cams weren't active during the Sheffler incident. LOL.
I'm not sure why they would be. They were dealing with a fatality accident.
I think because they’re literally supposed to be on at any time they’re performing the duties of a police officer in public? If dealing with a fatality accident isn’t part of their duties then why were they there?
I don't know a lot about police procedure, but I could see this as a situation where cameras are incorrectly not in use. Nobody expects any trouble while handling traffic at a sporting event in the early morning.

I'm a big fan of body cameras. They protect the public from the police and vice versa. But cops are still human beings and they don't always comply with every rule when they are in zero-pressure situations.
Seems like there would be a lot of situations where nobody expects trouble but there is trouble that happens anyway. That's why the procedure is to always have them on. This was a major sporting event I'm sure with enhanced security. A number of things could have happened even if maybe the odds of them happening could be considered relatively low.
"Functional" does not equal "on" and I suspect the policy is the former.

So scheffler committed to playing colonial next week so that's fun. Getting arraigned Tues. If a felony charge still, they may ask him to surrender his passport putting his British in jeopardy.
I suppose they could, but I strongly suspect a court will grant him permission to travel both within and outside of the United States. Put differently, if I were representing Scottie in this situation and we weren't assigned to some unreasonable judge, I would advise Scottie not to change his travel plans. He's got no criminal history and this is a unique situation where it's actually quite easy to prove where he is when he travels. There's also no risk to the "victim" should Scottie travel.

Last edited:
Also, I should note that a real possibility is that the charges are dismissed without prejudice (meaning they could be brought back) temporarily so that the prosecuting agency can put some time into finding out what happened here and how they want to proceed. This would likely result in Tuesday's arraignment being vacated and, by operation of law, no release conditions imposed.

Yo it's insane, can't believe it but Louisville mayor said body cams weren't active during the Sheffler incident. LOL.
I think because they’re literally supposed to be on at any time they’re performing the duties of a police officer in public? If dealing with a fatality accident isn’t part of their duties then why were they there?
I don't know a lot about police procedure, but I could see this as a situation where cameras are incorrectly not in use. Nobody expects any trouble while handling traffic at a sporting event in the early morning.

I'm a big fan of body cameras. They protect the public from the police and vice versa. But cops are still human beings and they don't always comply with every rule when they are in zero-pressure situations.
Seems like there would be a lot of situations where nobody expects trouble but there is trouble that happens anyway. That's why the procedure is to always have them on. This was a major sporting event I'm sure with enhanced security. A number of things could have happened even if maybe the odds of them happening could be considered relatively low.
This makes sense but seems to give cops a pretty easy out that they just 'forgot' to turn them on

This makes sense but seems to give cops a pretty easy out that they just 'forgot' to turn them on
Agreed but, in reality, stuff like that is frankly why I have a job. In other words, any decent defense attorney should be able to exploit the “forgetfulness” to attack the officer’s credibility.

Agreed but, in reality, stuff like that is frankly why I have a job. In other words, any decent defense attorney should be able to exploit the “forgetfulness” to attack the officer’s credibility.

Is this something that would come up at an arraignment?

Is this something that would come up at an arraignment?
Probably not.

It could come up at a preliminary hearing (which feels kind of like an arraignment to a lay person). It should be mentioned in any grand jury presentation.

I know that, but human beings sometimes disregard procedure when it doesn't seem important.

I know that, but human beings sometimes disregard procedure when it doesn't seem important.
Fwiw my point was there's a decent chance the footage shows the officer totally in the wrong and it's lost, now conveniently described "never on in the first place"

Also, as somebody who has to access the database for these videos, the servers would be exploding with data overload and finding an incident would be like a needle in a haystack if these things recorded everything an officer did in his shift.

I can buy the batteries thing but this part seems silly/dubious. If there's a life-changing incident for someone (like being potentially erroneously charged with a felony) it seems like it would be worth it to have someone spend the extra 5 minutes to scrub through a 12 hour recording to find the relevant 15 minutes, rather than have a 50% chance of having the relevant 15 minutes recorded with no scrubbing required.

Plus, cataloging video recordings is pretty simple (filename = camera ID + date), and then you could just go to the relevant approximate time in the relevant file and it would take like 30 seconds to find.

There are plenty of security cameras that record all the time. It's not like when they have relevant footage the recordings are dismissed because no one wanted to take the extra 5 minutes to scrub through the footage and find it.

It just seems like the usefulness of body cams is pretty limited when someone with malintent can just conveniently forget to turn it on, or when something goes inadvertently wrong can just claim that it wasn't turned on even if it was. Doubly so when a PD already with a history for explicitly this kind of stuff conveniently forgets. You'd think they'd be held to even higher standards of having to make absolutely sure that they used it.

You talking about Scheffler here? :wink:

No, I was talking about the police.

But I could easily imagine a situation where a pro golfer, who is supposed to be there, is confused by a highly unusual situation and does something that he really shouldn't have done. I genuinely don't understand why people feel such a need to assume that one party or the other acted maliciously here, when "honest error" is so likely.

But I could easily imagine a situation where a pro golfer, who is supposed to be there, is confused by a highly unusual situation and does something that he really shouldn't have done. I genuinely don't understand why people feel such a need to assume that one party or the other acted maliciously here, when "honest error" is so likely.
I don't assume either party acted maliciously. And as you can imagine from what you know about me, I am highly skeptical of police interactions. I am also skeptical of the uber wealthy that many times think certain rules don't apply to them

I don't assume either party acted maliciously. And as you can imagine from what you know about me, I am highly skeptical of police interactions. I am also skeptical of the uber wealthy that many times think certain rules don't apply to them
In fairness, the "rules" don't apply to an actual PGA golfer who is supposed to be golfing in this particular tournament. Such a person would rightly expect to be waved through somehow.

Everybody cheers when Lamar Jackson scrambles into the end zone. But when I do it, I get arrested.

And "forgetfullness" usually isn't acceptable by the court.

• Thanks
Reactions: SWC
Scottie returned to HP (Dallas) Sunday night and went straight to the Inwood Tavern, still wearing his green jacket. :lmao:

Legend.

For those unfamiliar, Highland Park is one of the most boujee places in the country, with very high cost of living, giant McMansions and lucky sperm-clubbers. The Inwood Tavern is a dive bar that serves as a refuge for those who want to escape the posh places and elegant eateries where people go to be seen and has probably been on the verge of shut-down by city inspectors for decades. It was a dump when I used to go there in the 90s with a fake ID. The fact that Scottie made a stop in there on his way home to his pregnant wife, taking time to get a photo with a couple of the workers or bar flies just makes me like him even more. Just a real dude.

That's awesome. A friend from college bought Inwood a few years back and gave it new life. It's nicer now but still laid back.

Trying to be open minded here.

I can buy that Scheffler made an honest mistake and didn't understand that he was being stopped by an officer in an unusual traffic pattern. I can also buy that Scheffler acted badly and wanted to get to his warm-up and said "F this, I'm just going". This could go either way. I think the former is most likely, though the latter is possible.

I can buy that the officer made an honest mistake that and thought that Scheffler was acting with malintent and intentionally ignoring his instructions even if Scheffler wasn't actually doing it on purpose.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how an "honest mistake" would lead to him being thrown against the car, taken to prison, and charged with felony assault among other things while the PD showed early signs of conspiring in favor of those charges until it became a national story.

Remember, the police report was written in a way to imply that Scheffler had run the officer down with his car. We only learned of the officer being the one to "attach himself to the vehicle" later from a media witness, Jeff Darlington.

And I could be misremembering this part, but I was following this as it happened and I thought I recalled in one of the original reports seeing the Louisville PD's initial statement which said that the perp had assaulted an officer, and other officers on the scene corroborated the arresting officer's claim. Again, I could be misremembering as it's impossible to find their initial statement now because any google search for Louisville PD statements is flooded with thousands of articles about the no bodycam statement. Assuming I'm not misremembering that, it was only once it became a national story with an ESPN reporter at the center of it that they backed off that part.

It seems like the most likely thing that happened is that Scheffler made an honest mistake with the traffic pattern and thinking he was supposed to go that way, and that the officer made an honest mistake in thinking that Scheffler was disrespecting him by intentionally not listening to him. That is all fine and well. What is not fine and well is the officer losing his cool and then doubling down and potentially ruining someone's life with bogus charges to justify it, which is quite possibly what would've happened (and probably does happen regularly) if it hadn't happened to be a famous golfer with a member of the media nearby.

Unless Darlington is just totally making stuff up (possible, I suppose) and Scheffler did just straight up run over the officer with his car, I don't really see how any "honest mistake" could lead to that kind of overreach and nonsense, even if Scheffler was ignoring him on purpose (which is probably doubtful).

Maybe the cop was a good guy just having a bad day and was easily triggered that day, maybe the cop is a guy on a power trip abusing his power. Either way, neither is an excuse for escalating something like this and wrecking someone's life by charging them with a felony, nor would that be an "honest mistake".

Last edited:
Fwiw there's another witness who is saying he's not even sure if Scottie's car touched the officer. He said from his angle it looked like the officer may have just tripped as he was running up to the car, though he wasn't 100% sure.

• Love
When this topic started I wouldn't have guessed I'd read something like this in it.

In sum, definitely discuss this situation because it's interesting but I strongly urge you to assume that none of us know nor will know what really happened and I wouldn't take this incident as a significant knock on either Scottie Scheffler's reputation or the reputation of law enforcement as a whole.

Trying to be open minded here.

I can buy that Scheffler made an honest mistake and didn't understand that he was being stopped by an officer in an unusual traffic pattern. I can also buy that Scheffler acted badly and wanted to get to his warm-up and said "F this, I'm just going". This could go either way. I think the former is most likely, though the latter is possible.

I can buy that the officer made an honest mistake that and thought that Scheffler was acting with malintent and intentionally ignoring his instructions even if Scheffler wasn't actually doing it on purpose.

I cannot for the life of me figure out how an "honest mistake" would lead to him being thrown against the car, taken to prison, and charged with felony assault among other things while the PD showed early signs of conspiring in favor of those charges until it became a national story.

Remember, the police report was written in a way to imply that Scheffler had run the officer down with his car. We only learned of the officer being the one to "attach himself to the vehicle" later from a media witness, Jeff Darlington.

And I could be misremembering this part, but I was following this as it happened and I thought I recalled in one of the original reports seeing the Louisville PD's initial statement which said that the perp had assaulted an officer, and other officers on the scene corroborated the arresting officer's claim. Again, I could be misremembering as it's impossible to find their initial statement now because any google search for Louisville PD statements is flooded with thousands of articles about the no bodycam statement. Assuming I'm not misremembering that, it was only once it became a national story with an ESPN reporter at the center of it that they backed off that part.

It seems like the most likely thing that happened is that Scheffler made an honest mistake with the traffic pattern and thinking he was supposed to go that way, and that the officer made an honest mistake in thinking that Scheffler was disrespecting him by intentionally not listening to him. That is all fine and well. What is not fine and well is the officer losing his cool and then doubling down and potentially ruining someone's life with bogus charges to justify it, which is quite possibly what would've happened (and probably does happen regularly) if it hadn't happened to be a famous golfer with a member of the media nearby.

Unless Darlington is just totally making stuff up (possible, I suppose) and Scheffler did just straight up run over the officer with his car, I don't really see how any "honest mistake" could lead to that kind of overreach and nonsense, even if Scheffler was ignoring him on purpose (which is probably doubtful).

Maybe the cop was a good guy just having a bad day and was easily triggered that day, maybe the cop is a guy on a power trip abusing his power. Either way, neither is an excuse for escalating something like this and wrecking someone's life by charging them with a felony, nor would that be an "honest mistake".
Sure. I don't disagree.

and wrecking someone's life by charging them with a felony,
To be fair, Scheffler's life is hardly ruined

Because he happened to be a famous golfer with a member of the media in the car next to him which led to the department backing down pretty quickly once this thing went national. Had he been a regular joe no one would have been the wiser and things would likely have gone very differently.

That part has been reiterated 1000 times in all this. This same thing likely happens regularly to people that aren't Scottie Scheffler and those people's lives are really messed up by it because they don't have the national spotlight to force the department to back down from their likely bogus charges. The officer didn't know when he got aggressive and then doubled down on the charges that part was going to happen. As far as he knew he was wrecking some schmucks life, likely because he felt a little bit slighted.

Last edited:

wrong the procedure at louisville pd is to have the camera on and rolling when engaging in any call for service engaging in any law enforcement activity including traffic stops all encounters traveling to or from work so directing traffic and telling someone to stop and exit thier activity is clearly a law enforcement activity and the camera in this instance should have been on take that to the bank brochacho

Because he happened to be a famous golfer with a member of the media in the car next to him which led to the department backing down pretty quickly once this thing went national. Had he been a regular joe no one would have been the wiser and things would likely have gone very differently.

That part has been reiterated 1000 times in all this. This same thing likely happens regularly to people that aren't Scottie Scheffler and those people's lives are really messed up by it because they don't have the national spotlight to force the department to back down from their likely bogus charges. The officer didn't know when he got aggressive and then doubled down on the charges that part was going to happen. As far as he knew he was wrecking some schmucks life, likely because he felt a little bit slighted.
Yeah, but if Scheffler were a regular joe, this whole situation never would have arisen. What makes this story different from many others is that Scheffler is a professional golfer. He absolutely was supposed to be there, and he 100% should have been waived through. I don't think it's helpful to say to "Well, this would have gone differently if it was you or me behind the wheel" because we wouldn't have been in this situation to start with.

What I'm trying to say is that people need to get out of the habit of looking at every single one of these incidents involving law enforcement from a lens of "cops good" or "cops bad." As woz pointed out, these things often have little wrinkles that make them bad fits for preexisting narratives. This is one of those times IMO.

Yeah, but if Scheffler were a regular joe, this whole situation never would have arisen. What makes this story different from many others is that Scheffler is a professional golfer. He absolutely was supposed to be there, and he 100% should have been waived through. I don't think it's helpful to say to "Well, this would have gone differently if it was you or me behind the wheel" because we wouldn't have been in this situation to start with.

What I'm trying to say is that people need to get out of the habit of looking at every single one of these incidents involving law enforcement from a lens of "cops good" or "cops bad." As woz pointed out, these things often have little wrinkles that make them bad fits for preexisting narratives. This is one of those times IMO.

That's nitpicking the details. It could have been a regular joe that got different directions from one officer than another. And really it doesn't matter whether Scheffler was supposed to go around or not, if it were some regular joe that got confused and followed a player's car around when he shouldn't have, that still would not have excused the escalation and overreach/felony charge for misunderstanding a temporary traffic pattern.

The point is this kind of thing DOES likely happen with regular joes, and goes completely unnoticed and unaccounted for because it's not a famous person. Small incident, escalated by an angry officer who used his authority to try and ruin someone's life rather than protect and serve, and then railroaded by misleading reports from the PD and corroborating officers.

If this were you or I, we'd be trying to explain to our employer that we have to miss work on Tuesday for our felony trial, and they'd be drawing up our dismissal papers while rolling their eyes at our claim that the officer and the whole local police department made up a fake claim about us assaulting an officer to screw us over.

It's an amalgam for an issue that gets shrugged off and likely will result in little penalty for the officer when it was actually a HUGE issue that could normally have wrecked someone's life. There are some jobs where you can't just have a bad day and not reel it in.

If you're a computer programmer, you can have a bad day and write some crappy code that your QA department catches and makes you fix tomorrow, and you'll still be a computer programmer tomorrow. But if you're a surgeon, you can't have a bad day and have a whiskey before a surgery and accidentally slice someone's bladder because you were tipsy, and ever get to be a surgeon again. And if you're a cop, you can't be upset that your wife left her dirty egg pan out AGAIN this morning and decide to take it out on the poor schmuck that was involved in a minor traffic violation by treating him violently, pinning bogus charges on him, and having your department back you against him. That type of person should never get to be a cop again.

And really, that's giving him the benefit of the doubt that he was just having a bad day. The reality is that this is likely not his first time doing stuff like this, and we just didn't hear about the other ones because the guy on the other side didn't happen to be a famous golfer.

moops what happened with you and cops that you referenced earlier if you are cool sharing take that to the bank brohans

can i have an update on wild speculation?
his arraignment was delayed til June, cops want to make sure that if the charges are dropped that Scottie has to pay for sandwich since food is only free to prisoners.
here is the hearing and the prosecutor looking pretty foolish arguing an unrelated standard take that to the bank brohans

Last edited:
his arraignment was delayed til June, cops want to make sure that if the charges are dropped that Scottie has to pay for sandwich since food is only free to prisoners.
here is the hearing and the prosecutor looking pretty foolish arguing an unrelated standard take that to the bank brohans

That sure is a scintillatiing speaker. Bet he won Moot Court in law school.

How the heck did get any job other than dog catcher? Props to the defense dude for waiting all that BS out.

• Laughing

How the heck did get any job other than dog catcher? Props to the defense dude for waiting all that BS out.
ladies and gentlemen of the juuuu...juuuu.....juuuu......jury!

That was painful to watch. Arraignments are moved all the time and it isn’t because he is asking for some special treatment.

The prosecutor stated in his objection that they were still gathering evidence to determine the charge. So why wouldn’t a two week delay be appropriate to allow you to continue to do that? His argument made zero sense.

Painful to watch.

I don't mean to be all "Oh, poor rich golfer."

My biggest issue continues to be the embarrassment of the state. Arguing that you don't want someone to be treated differently and then the opposing council points out you ARE trying to treat him differently by not giving him the same continuance/courtesy you give everyone else.

If this wasn't a high profile case, they would have never argued this crap. At this point, this feels like a prosecutor that wants a high profile win. Most places would have dropped this right away.

That was painful to watch. Arraignments are moved all the time and it isn’t because he is asking for some special treatment.

The prosecutor stated in his objection that they were still gathering evidence to determine the charge. So why wouldn’t a two week delay be appropriate to allow you to continue to do that? His argument made zero sense.
Yeah, that sure seemed like some grandstanding (I raised an eyebrow at his citing state supreme court caselaw regarding a basic motion to continue). In my experience, which sounds similar to yours, I will commonly seek to move around arraignment dates to fit schedules (especially when a bond has been posted and there is no civilian victim) or, even in super harsh Arizona, there is a procedural mechanism that even allows me to waive a defendant's/client's appearance at an arraignment in circumstances like these (sounds like Kentucky does not have a similar procedural mechanism). And, while I may have represented pro golfers/athletes in the past, none have been Scottie Scheffler.

Judge did a good job. She properly analyzed that there's no prejudice to the state and, sounds like under their procedural rules, is requiring Scottie to appear in person. This hearing should have taken two minutes or, in my opinion, never should have happened because the state shouldn't have objected.

Painful to watch.

I don't mean to be all "Oh, poor rich golfer."

My biggest issue continues to be the embarrassment of the state. Arguing that you don't want someone to be treated differently and then the opposing council points out you ARE trying to treat him differently by not giving him the same continuance/courtesy you give everyone else.

If this wasn't a high profile case, they would have never argued this crap. At this point, this feels like a prosecutor that wants a high profile win. Most places would have dropped this right away.
I don't know about your last claim but I agree with everything else here.

Schefler might be the best golfer and for all I know the nicest dude in the world, but he's boring as dried mud. Even for a pro. And to say golf doesn't define him ... um, he got lessons at the age of 6 from the teacher of of Justin leonard who had just won the British Open. not only does it define him, it's all he's ever known. I did this for a living on mini-tours. Many of these guys make up a narrative to fit what they want to believe they are. Schefler is 100% defined by golf, on and off the course. No matter what he says. It's 8-12 hours of every day of his life.
Care to share some details of what it was like or can you point me to another post where you have done this? Personally I think it would be most interesting. What's the separation between playing on the mini-tours and kicking around the bottom of the PGA.
Knowing a few guys in both buckets, it’s basically some financial backing and a fraction of a stroke per round. I’m adamantly told the margin is that thin.
The margin is razor thin. Some players on the small tour missed getting a PGA card by 1 stroke over a 4 day span.

Those same players are capable of a top 10 finish at times on the PGA tour given the chance.

ladies and gentlemen of the juuuu...juuuu.....juuuu......jury!
That was exactly where I went.

Users who are viewing this thread