What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

SF Lands Manning(ham) (1 Viewer)

goldenchild

Footballguy
My link

Report: 49ers land Manning(ham) to bolster WR corps

Wide receiver Mario Manningham, whose clutch playoff catches keyed the New York Giants’ Super Bowl run, has agreed to a two-year contract with the 49ers, ProFootballTalk.com and the NFL Network reported.

Manningham visited the 49ers facility on Thursday before meeting with the St. Louis Rams, who reportedly were in contract negotations with him Saturday.

In the Giants’ 21-17 Super Bowl victory over the New England Patriots, Manningham made a 38-yard sideline catch to launch the winning touchdown drive. He finished with five receptions for 73 yards.

Manningham caught a 17-yard touchdown pass to spark the Giants’ comeback in their 20-17 overtime win over the host 49ers in the NFC Championship Game.

The quarterback who threw him those passes: Eli Manning, whose older brother Peyton is being courted by the 49ers.

Two other wide receivers that visited the 49ers this past week have signed elsewhere: Brandon Lloyd with the New England Patriots and Chaz Schilens with the New York Jets.

Manningham joins a 49ers receiving corps that added veteran Randy Moss on Thursday. Incumbent starter Michael Crabtree, two-year veteran Kyle Williams and practice-squad call-up Joe Hastings are the other wide receivers on the roster.
Edited to include the subheading (for those people with their panties in a bunch, ahem, cobalt, ahem)

Last edited by a moderator:
Wouldn't it be something if the Niners landed Manning too and he led them to a Super Bowl. Manningham would have won back to back Super Bowls with brother QB's. That would be crazy, and the funny thing is it's a real possibility. (Although I hope it doesn't happen as I'm still holding out hope that my Broncos land Mr. Manning :) )

Goldenchild, I see what you did there. Major props on the title of the thread. Sucked people into thinking it was Manning that signed, but then pulled out the parenthetical "ham" to cleverly convey that it was Mario Manningham who signed with the 49ers. That is so awesome.

You should post here more often. Makes us all think moar and stuff.

Said future QB/OC/GM/Team Prez (and anything else they've promised him to outbid Bud Adams) Peyton Manning: "If he's good enough for Eli, he's good enough for me."

Goldenchild, I see what you did there. Major props on the title of the thread. Sucked people into thinking it was Manning that signed, but then pulled out the parenthetical "ham" to cleverly convey that it was Mario Manningham who signed with the 49ers. That is so awesome.You should post here more often. Makes us all think moar and stuff.
Eh, don't go overboard. Sure, it was clever, but 'so awesome'? I don't think so. Honestly speaking, the parenthetical didn't fool me. I'm awesome.

Goldenchild, I see what you did there. Major props on the title of the thread. Sucked people into thinking it was Manning that signed, but then pulled out the parenthetical "ham" to cleverly convey that it was Mario Manningham who signed with the 49ers. That is so awesome.You should post here more often. Makes us all think moar and stuff.
I would suggest that you take your issue up with the San Jose Mercury News... I pretty much used their title for my thread. :shrug:

I would suggest that you take your issue up with the San Jose Mercury News... I pretty much used their title for my thread. :shrug:
Bummer. Here I thought you were so clever. Now, you're a plagiarist. Carry on then.

Bummer. Here I thought you were so clever. Now, you're a plagiarist. Carry on then.
:thumbup:

Eh, don't go overboard. Sure, it was clever, but 'so awesome'? I don't think so. Honestly speaking, the parenthetical didn't fool me. I'm awesome.
You are.

Maybe one of these years stl will get bradford some weapons. forget getting Bradford a #1...how about just a #2???

And no, i don't include brandon Lloyd....if u had no plan to resign him, why the f would a miserable team like the rams acquire him to begin with?

Fishers ground n pound isn't going far in todays game (not winning a title)

Fantastic. The combination of MM and Crabtree, love it. I still believe in Manningham a lot and I think he will do very well in SF...if Peyton were to sign there...game on.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Fantastic. The combination of MM and Crabtree, love it. I still believe in Manningham a lot and I think he will do very well in SF...if Peyton were to sign there...game on.
Don't forget that guy named moss they recently signed...

'Ministry of Pain said:
Vernon Davis says hello. How could Peyton say no to these receivers.

'Ministry of Pain said:
isn't Harbaugh a run first coach??
Just like Brian Billick was an Offensive genius in Minny and Baltimore was always Defense first. You coach with what you have.

:yucky:

Even with Manning there I don't know what Manningham's role will be.

He could ultimately be behind Crabtree, Moss and Davis.

I don't really get what his thinking was here. This is good for the 49ers in going only 2 years on a young talented guy who will want to prove he is legit. It will allow them to see if Manningham can develop into a legit consistent threat before committing a lot to him.

great pickup for the 49ers. :excited: he'll fit in great as the WR2/3, and gives the team a legit slot WR or WR2 if Moss falters. BSS, I think its clear Crab is 1. we'll see.

bad move for Manningham FFB owners.

great pickup for the 49ers. :excited: he'll fit in great as the WR2/3, and gives the team a legit slot WR or WR2 if Moss falters. BSS, I think its clear Crab is 1. we'll see.

bad move for Manningham FFB owners...and Crabtree owners...and Moss owners...and VD owners....
FYP.Oddly, this is starting to look like the Saints WR group of previous years - a bunch of decent players, with no clear #1. As such owning any will drive you crazy, as it won't be clear who will "go off" week to week.

'Ministry of Pain said:
Yes. And Peyton wants that. He's been public in his desire to find a team with a run game.

bad move for Manningham FFB owners...and Crabtree owners...and Moss owners...and VD owners....
FYP.Oddly, this is starting to look like the Saints WR group of previous years - a bunch of decent players, with no clear #1. As such owning any will drive you crazy, as it won't be clear who will "go off" week to week.
bfyp--I think Crab is the undisputed #1.

The Colts gave Manning plenty of options with Wayne,Garcon,Collie,A.Gonzalez & D.Clark so Manningham just gives the 9ers another viable weapon for Manning to throw to. I'm thinking they're trying to do whatever they can so that Peyton can't say no to come QB the 49ers. They're loading the offense up so that Manning has every opportunity to go get his 2nd ring. Now Manning would have plenty of decent WR's to hit and get the ball out of his hands quick avoiding injury as long as the O-line can protect him and keep him from getting hit.

Manning raises the value of everybody around him (obviously). He had Wayne and D.Clark and a couple of adequate WRs in Indy, and all four receivers had fantasy value.

If Moss is a starter, Manningham becomes the Brandon Stokley/Austin Collie... Manning will exploit mismatches, and Moss and Crabtree aren't really likely to be strong enough to create mismatches. They will get theirs, and Vernon will certainly be more valuable, but there is room for all four to be useful as long as Manning lands in SF.

Manning raises the value of everybody around him (obviously). He had Wayne and D.Clark and a couple of adequate WRs in Indy, and all four receivers had fantasy value.

If Moss is a starter, Manningham becomes the Brandon Stokley/Austin Collie... Manning will exploit mismatches, and Moss and Crabtree aren't really likely to be strong enough to create mismatches. They will get theirs, and Vernon will certainly be more valuable, but there is room for all four to be useful as long as Manning lands in SF.
Manning averaged 554 passing attempts in his 13 seasons. The 49ers attempted 451 passes last season. I'm sure if they add Manning (and he is/stays healthy) they will throw more, but I doubt they'll approach the passing attempts Manning had with the Colts. That means he won't be able to have as many valuable fantasy receivers as he had with the Colts.

Manning averaged 554 passing attempts in his 13 seasons. The 49ers attempted 451 passes last season. I'm sure if they add Manning (and he is/stays healthy) they will throw more, but I doubt they'll approach the passing attempts Manning had with the Colts. That means he won't be able to have as many valuable fantasy receivers as he had with the Colts.
Not so sure I agree with that logic. Manning would lead to more first downs, longer drives, and far less of the 3-n-outs of the 2011 Smith lead offense. There would be more offensive snaps and more opportunities to pass.

Manningham has very little fantasy value in 2012 w/o Manning, and only slightly more with him. He has a chance to have more value if Moss flames out.

'Ministry of Pain said:
At one point late in the 2010 Harbaugh-led Stanford football season, the Cardinal had run the ball and thrown the ball an equal amount. And Harbaugh was proud of this fact.

Not so sure I agree with that logic. Manning would lead to more first downs, longer drives, and far less of the 3-n-outs of the 2011 Smith lead offense. There would be more offensive snaps and more opportunities to pass.
Yes, that's part of why I said I would expect them to throw more. They could get 75 more snaps or so, again if Manning is and stays healthy. I could see 500 passing attempts, not 550+.

Users who are viewing this thread