What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark move, or too risky to trade for Aaron Rogers for Playoffs? (1 Viewer)

kanabro

Footballguy
So, in multiple leagues I'm, the Aaron Rogers owner is in bad shape because he didn't have a backup QB.

With Rogers currently projected to return between weeks 13-16, is it too risky to trade for him?

I'm thinking the Packers push to have him back as soon as possible, since they're in a 3-way tie in the NFC-N.

I'm thinking he'll play either week 13 or 14.

If he comes back in time for fantasy playoffs, how well will he perform?

Thoughts?

Certainly has an opportunity for high reward... But only for certain circumstances. In a 1QB league, there are still 5-6 qbs that would preclude really going after him. Manning, Brees, Stafford, Newton, Romo would present a situation where unless you for him for free, not that much upside especially with him returning from injury.

However, in very large or 2QB leagues, if he's almost a throw in and/or you are close to a lock to make the playoffs why not. Of you are trotting out Campbell or Tannehill or Palmer or any other 15-28 overall type QB he certainly offers a chance of huge upside when it matter most.

I like your style OP, if you have the piece to make it happen, why not?

If the 4-6 week timeline is accurate he should be back by week 16 latest, he could be your fantasy Jeff Hosteler.

Was sitting at 7-2 and drafted cutler as my backup for rg3 just moved cutler straight across for him to an owner trying to get into the playoffs his backup was flacco. I have personally been targeting him in all my leagues for pennies on the dollar

The morning after he went down with the injury, I made solid offers for him in every league where I'm virtually a lock to make the playoffs (3).

All 3 were turned down immediately, but owners who probably won't even make the playoffs.

People aren't always logical. I would definitely target him though. Just not sure your league mates will be willing to give up on likely their best player, out of stubbornness.

I could see this as a viable move in dynasty. But in redraft, all you will do is insult the Aaron Rodgers owner. What's the upside for him if he's only playing out the string? My Rodgers led team (redraft) is still in contention, and I have no intentions of selling low. It takes serious brass balls to approach a Rodgers owner with a low ball offer in redraft. You will come off as an ambulance chaser.

I could see this as a viable move in dynasty. But in redraft, all you will do is insult the Aaron Rodgers owner. What's the upside for him if he's only playing out the string? My Rodgers led team (redraft) is still in contention, and I have no intentions of selling low. It takes serious brass balls to approach a Rodgers owner with a low ball offer in redraft. You will come off as an ambulance chaser.
People that get offended by trade offers are the worst. Why would you get upset if I offered you a piece that will help you for one that wont be any help. I'm sure pride comes into it, but if you let pride run your team I think you'd be doing yourself a disservice.

If I'm a Rodgers owner in redraft and I need a RB2/Flex (say Ellington) or WR3 (Cooper) for the push, I don't think its that crazy to make the move on a low ball type deal. Especially if you had a backup QB.

What's Wrong With A 6-3 Team Making A 3-6 Team A Rodgers Offer In Redraft?

Warrior said:
Raiderfan32904 said:
What's Wrong With A 6-3 Team Making A 3-6 Team A Rodgers Offer In Redraft?
Nothing. I think it's a great idea to offer up a QB for Rogers if you are in position to do it. In one of my leagues, I'm in the exact situation to accept a trade like this. I'm 4-5 with a pretty solid team, but no backup to Rodgers. I can't afford many more losses at this stage. There's nothing on the wire, so I think I would be willing to deal him for a guy like Kaepernick, Luck, Griffin, Wilson, Brady, Ryan, Dalton or Locker.

Warrior said:
The morning after he went down with the injury, I made solid offers for him in every league where I'm virtually a lock to make the playoffs (3).

All 3 were turned down immediately, but owners who probably won't even make the playoffs.

People aren't always logical. I would definitely target him though. Just not sure your league mates will be willing to give up on likely their best player, out of stubbornness.
A lot of people are not smart or reasonable. I was offering a trade of Peyton and Garcon for Rodgers and Dez to the 8th place team before Arods injury and was denied. Day after injury sent same trade offer and was denied again, this was with the news of Dez bad back as well. lol Logic does not even factor into it, its just lack of understanding of fantasy football. Hey, it's their money they are losing, almost frustrating the irrational thinking with some people.

Thinking of offering Romo. I have kaep who can fill in a few weeks. Can't trade kaep though, as I'd be in trouble for Romo's bye.

Warrior said:

A lot of people are not smart or reasonable. I was offering a trade of Peyton and Garcon for Rodgers and Dez to the 8th place team before Arods injury and was denied. Day after injury sent same trade offer and was denied again, this was with the news of Dez bad back as well. lol Logic does not even factor into it, its just lack of understanding of fantasy football. Hey, it's their money they are losing, almost frustrating the irrational thinking with some people.
If this was dynasty, I wouldn't do that deal either.

Raiderfan32904 said:
But it's not really a low-ball in redraft, is it? In redraft, Rodgers value for the ROS is severely diminished because he's only going to be playing 2-3 more meaningful games.

I'm a Rodgers owner in both my leagues. At 5-4 in the one, I think I ll hold him. At 2-7 in the other and only 2 games back from the 6th seed, I'll see what I do today on whether I move him to help win 4 in a row.

In my PPR league, there are absolutely no QB1s left on the waivers.

The Rogers owner is tied for 6th with 4 other teams, only 6 teams make playoff, so he's on the bubble.

His RBs are: D. Murray, McFadden (injured), & S. Jax.

I'm offering him Cutler + Sproles or Ellington (his choice) for Rogers.

I'm tied for 1st, & should make the playoffs, no problem.

For him, it's a risk to not make a move & try to keep it up with Ponder at QB.

Out in my one league now so I won't bother trading him there.

6-4 in 4th place in my other but have Foles and Alex smith in a 2qb league now. Seneca gave me a fat 1 yesterday and I lucked out that the 9-0 team had his worst week. I think I need to trade Rodgers for another qb if I can't get Fitzpatrick off the ww.

Last edited by a moderator:
Wish there was a better time table on when he's coming back. Seems like a huge risk to trade him to a potential playoff opponent but I'm desperate.

Got Fitz off the wire. I can tough it out with that at least until Rodgers maybe comes back.

Our redraft Rodgers owner isnt looking likely to make the playoffs and starting Palmer now....I dont trust RGIII so I offered him straight up and would roll with Keenum until Rodgers gets back in case this owner feels like they have a shot....never know what someones thinking but this a QB heavy scoring league and my only shot to get a guy if that caliber...havent heard back

Wish there was a better time table on when he's coming back. Seems like a huge risk to trade him to a potential playoff opponent but I'm desperate.
For him to even be talking about coming back week 12 is a good sign. I don't expect him to do that but I think it's about 50/50 whether he'll be back week 13 or 14. I don't see him missing week 14 though.

For him to even be talking about coming back week 12 is a good sign. I don't expect him to do that but I think it's about 50/50 whether he'll be back week 13 or 14. I don't see him missing week 14 though.
Especially after they lose to the Lions without him, they will feel they can have a shot at the WC if Rodgers comes back and makes a run. Plus Rodgers is mad he got hurt, he will be back with a vengeance with the schedule he has.

Dr. Bramel's latest on today's injury podcast gave me the reassurance I needed to send my league's Rodgers owner (he's one game out of the playoffs) an offer. RG3 and CJ2K for Rodgers was accepted within 20 mins of the offer.

Offered Brady for him... Currently rolling with Rivers anyways - the Rodgers team in my league is fighting for a playoff spot and just picked up Flacco

Just traded the Rodgers owner for my Cam. I have Cutler as my backup and McCown for now. I'm 7-3 and in good shape to make the playoffs. The reward is way to high not to try and trade for him. His fantasy playoff schedule is a cake walk.

Just traded for him myself from a team who needs to basically run the table and had no QB and no RB this week.

My biggest concern is if he indeed doesn't come back until week 14, we won't have much to go off of re his health. Would be a bad time for him to start and not be able to go far in a game

I offered Calvin Johnson up for Rodgers and VJax. Owner initially declined but has since re-offered and now Im hesitant. Im stacked and believe VJax is going to have some big weeks moving forward. Still unsure if I should accept.

In a 2 QB league, I just traded Jamaal Charles for Rodgers and Riley Cooper. ARod is now my QB2, to go along with Brees. Choo muthereffen choo.

Good move to trade for him when his value is low, just don't pay too much. Rodgers hasn't been an elite fantasy QB in a while now. He's a great real life QB, but gone are the days when he puts up top 3 numbers. In my league he was ranked 11th in points for QB's before he went down.

Good move to trade for him when his value is low, just don't pay too much. Rodgers hasn't been an elite fantasy QB in a while now. He's a great real life QB, but gone are the days when he puts up top 3 numbers. In my league he was ranked 11th in points for QB's before he went down.
Not sure what scoring system you're using, but in typical leagues (.05 / passing yard, 4 / TD) he finished QB2 last year, and was QB4 in PPG this year prior to getting hurt and missing most of the game against the Bears. He's absolutely elite.

White Lightning said:
Traded Rogers for Gore. The owner hand R Wilson and Gore was my RB3/4. The news about a possible week 12 return just made it easier.
So does this mean he will definitely be back by week 13 or 14 at the latest?

Not sure what scoring system you're using, but in typical leagues (.05 / passing yard, 4 / TD) he finished QB2 last year, and was QB4 in PPG this year prior to getting hurt and missing most of the game against the Bears. He's absolutely elite.
This. Not sure what kind of archaic scoring system Mr. Tso's league uses, but going into the MNF game where he got hurt, Rodgers was QB4 in my league (6pt TDs, 1 pt/20 yds passing.)

This. Not sure what kind of archaic scoring system Mr. Tso's league uses, but going into the MNF game where he got hurt, Rodgers was QB4 in my league (6pt TDs, 1 pt/20 yds passing.)
Mine as well! TD heavy standard league!

Aaron Rodgers is the definition of elite.
I checked my dictionary, and you are correct. He shows up right there in black and white:

[SIZE=13.5pt]e·lite[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]/[/SIZE][SIZE=13pt]ɪˈlit, eɪˈlit[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]/ [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Show Spelled [[/SIZE][SIZE=10pt]ih-leet, ey-leet[/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]] Show IPA [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]noun [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]1. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]( [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]often used with a plural verb [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]) the choice or best of anything considered collectively, as of a group or class of persons. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]2. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]( [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]used with a plural verb [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]) persons of the highest class: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]Only the elite were there. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]3. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a group of persons exercising the major share of authority or influence within a larger group: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]the power elite of a major political party. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]4. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]a type, approximately 10-point in printing-type size, widely used in typewriters and having 12 characters to the inch. Compare picahttp://dictionary.reference.com/browse/pica[/SIZE][SIZE=9pt]1 [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10pt]adjective [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]5. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]representing the most choice or select; best: [/SIZE][SIZE=12pt]an elite group of authors. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]6.[/SIZE]

[SIZE=12pt]Aaron Rodgers, QB Green Bay Packers[/SIZE]

In a 2 QB league, I just traded Jamaal Charles for Rodgers and Riley Cooper. ARod is now my QB2, to go along with Brees. Choo muthereffen choo.
Depends on your other rbs but this could backfire.
That's pretty high cost for an injured Rodgers. If we KNEW he would be back next week and close to 100% sure,,. But a top 3 RB in a year without top RBs? The Rodgers guy IMO got a great deal for damaged (albeit with huge upside) goods

That's pretty high cost for an injured Rodgers. If we KNEW he would be back next week and close to 100% sure,,. But a top 3 RB in a year without top RBs? The Rodgers guy IMO got a great deal for damaged (albeit with huge upside) goods
I'm 8-2 and Rodgers is supposedly feeling good enough to speculate that he'd be back next week. I'd rather see the guy back week 13 or 14, but as long as he's 100% by week 15, that's all that matters to me.

If I were fighting for a playoff spot, I probably wouldn't have given up Charles. Either way, it's a high risk high reward play and I accept that.

ETA: further disclosure b/c YMMV:

This is a start 2 QB league, and Rodgers will be replacing EJ Manuel / Ryan Fitz as my QB2;

I swooped Stacy and Vereen off waivers midseason and feel decent enough about CJ2k's ROS schedule to roll with one or more of those guys as my weekly replacement for Jamaal.

At 8-2 and already locked into playoffs, I traded Brees and a likely late 1st round 2014 rookie pick for Rodgers and Nick Foles in a 10 team dynasty league to an owner still scrambling to make the playoffs.

Win-win?

I offered Foles to the Rodgers owner in my league this week. He has to start Tannehill for now and there is nothing on waivers, so I thought he'd consider it. No dice.

I offered Foles to the Rodgers owner in my league this week. He has to start Tannehill for now and there is nothing on waivers, so I thought he'd consider it. No dice.
No, I wouldn't consider that either unless you were throwing in a decent RB2 in there. I'd roll with Tannehill as well to have the payoff of Aaron freaking Rodgers in the playoffs.

I'm 8-2 and Rodgers is supposedly feeling good enough to speculate that he'd be back next week. I'd rather see the guy back week 13 or 14, but as long as he's 100% by week 15, that's all that matters to me.

If I were fighting for a playoff spot, I probably wouldn't have given up Charles. Either way, it's a high risk high reward play and I accept that.

This is a start 2 QB league, and Rodgers will be replacing EJ Manuel / Ryan Fitz as my QB2;

I swooped Stacy and Vereen off waivers midseason and feel decent enough about CJ2k's ROS schedule to roll with one or more of those guys as my weekly replacement for Jamaal.
As a Charles owner, who won't sell him for nothing...I actually like this deal. Especially in a start 2 QB league. High reward and moderate risk. The only thing I worry about is the Packers receiving corps. If they lose Jordy, who is Rodgers going to throw to anymore?

As a Charles owner, who won't sell him for nothing...I actually like this deal. Especially in a start 2 QB league. High reward and moderate risk. The only thing I worry about is the Packers receiving corps. If they lose Jordy, who is Rodgers going to throw to anymore?
Cobb will be back week 15. (@DAL)

James Jones is getting healthier.

I actually have some hope for Boykin and Bostic. And Tolzien to warm them up.

Traded Andre Brown and Alex Smith for him. My RBs are Murray, forte, and Vereen. QB Luck.

I agree, shark move for the playoffs. If GB is trying to get into the nfl playoffs Rodgers will need to come back throwing.

Traded Andre Brown and Alex Smith for him. My RBs are Murray, forte, and Vereen. QB Luck.

I agree, shark move for the playoffs. If GB is trying to get into the nfl playoffs Rodgers will need to come back throwing.
This move makes sense. You sold 2nd & 3rd tier for the upside of Rodgers. The owner must be desperate.

This move makes sense. You sold 2nd & 3rd tier for the upside of Rodgers. The owner must be desperate.
He picked up Foles and is tied for the last playoff spot, in 7th (if season ended today he's out due to points). Richardson and bush at RB... Brown is a big upgrade to trich.I'll be ticked if luck outplays Rodgers when I start Rodgers! But Indys offense looks anemic since Wayne was hurt

12 team keeper league: The day after he went down, I was offered my choice of Matt Ryan or Andrew Luck for him (Rodgers cost = 2nd round). I'm currently on the bubble and most likely wouldn't have kept Rodgers next year (I didn't draft him this year either).

Needing to basically run the table to ensure a playoff spot, I took Luck. Best QBs on my wire were Keenum/Tannehill/McCown/Manuel/Palmer

Users who are viewing this thread