What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shark Pool and Purchasing a FBG Insider PRO Subscription (1 Viewer)

Did you purchase a FBG Insider PRO subscription for the 2017 season?

• Yes, and I have for multiple years.

Votes: 128 61.0%
  • Yes, and last year was the first time.

Votes: 2 1.0%
  • No, but I have purchased in previous years.

Votes: 50 23.8%
  • No, I've never purchased.

Votes: 30 14.3%

• Total voters
like many others...

been a subscriber for YEARs and plan on continuing that. I don't have time to keep up with personal rankings and stuff for 5 different leagues, so I'm fine with paying someone to do that for me and get multiple povs on player rankings, etc.  I also couldn't live without the 10 Second Weekly Primer to help me catch free agents in my 5 leagues who I might have missed.

I consider the cost of a subscription my entry fee into the subscriber contest.  All the content is like a nice bonus.  
Same here

Since I don't spend as much time on my weekly projections once the season starts as I used to, I utilize the weekly ranking projections to crosscheck and see if I am missing anything.  However, last year seemed like the weekly rankings were very similar each week, regardless of match-ups.  Didn't seem like a lot of thought was put into it.  Move a couple names around and call it good.  

Still worth the price to me.

2004 is the earliest I can find in my email about being a subscriber,  I let my sub lapse when I took a break from Fantasy Football for a while.   When I came back I was in the beta testing program for the mobile app, got a couple free years for that (I stopped testing and being a subscriber one year when I didn't get the sub for testing).   Like others, the myFBG, draft dominator, and contest were the main draws.   I'll echo others feelings thatI felt like the amount of content produced was overwhelming, so much so that I didn't use most of it, so much so that I think it meant I consumed less than if it was more "curated" because I knew I couldn't consume that much.   

Overall, I dedicate less time and money to Fantasy Football as a hobby than I did a decade ago, but the boards still represent a community I respect and enjoy being a part of (though in a much more limited manner).

Been a subscriber for a long time.  I won 2 years free back in the day but have continued to pay annually.  My bro and I split fees and used to be members of many sites (fantasy asylum > fantasyfootball.com, pff, 4for4, fftoday etc) but we pared down our memberships to only FBG over time because the content was great and this board has been solid all around.  We will subscribe again this week although we may forgo the DFS content due to price even though I did quite well last year so the extra costs paid for the difference.  I miss the 3 year signup personally because I don't need to worry about paying every year (any chance you can opt into auto-pay at a discount)?  Other than that, the only thing I wish came out sooner was the weekly waivers and FAAB article as someone else mentioned.   Otherwise, continue with the excellence and much appreciated.

Been a subscriber for a long time.  I won 2 years free back in the day but have continued to pay annually.  My bro and I split fees and used to be members of many sites (fantasy asylum > fantasyfootball.com, pff, 4for4, fftoday etc) but we pared down our memberships to only FBG over time because the content was great and this board has been solid all around.  We will subscribe again this week although we may forgo the DFS content due to price even though I did quite well last year so the extra costs paid for the difference.  I miss the 3 year signup personally because I don't need to worry about paying every year (any chance you can opt into auto-pay at a discount)?  Other than that, the only thing I wish came out sooner was the weekly waivers and FAAB article as someone else mentioned.   Otherwise, continue with the excellence and much appreciated.
Thanks a lot @kylechoffman   

So, in summary, it seems like people enjoy certain tools (especially the DD, 10 second primer), think there is too much content in the way of articles, and will even subscribe to support the boards.  Staff interaction is a big "want", and it has been suggested that maybe some of that staff time could be spent in the Pool versus churning such a high quantity of articles.

Personally, I have been a subscriber every year since 2003 (except for one when I lost my job, and was cutting back everything).  I personally do it for the contests, the Daily stuff, cheatsheets, and the Boards (both the Pool and the Mock Drafts).  I have been representing FBG in the IBL for the past 4(?) years and will continue to do so, as I enjoy the camaraderie (P.S. @Joe Bryant can we get a private forum just for that contest...it gets a little embarrassing when the other Boards come into our public, strategy thread and tell us we are on the clock :excited: ).  Frankly, I really enjoy this place and I will do whatever I can to support it.

I do have a couple of suggestions.  (1)  As someone who has seen the evolution of the board and offering, I have never been taught about what is being offered.  I have never used the DD...never.  I am not going to "try-it" when I am in a $150 entry league and $1k is on the line.  I have no idea what this 10 second primer is (sounds great for someone really busy), and I still don't think FBGs analytics is up to snuff (and for all I know it is somewhere...I just don't know where).  I'd almost suggest you advise the customer in bundling tools for them like, "20 minutes this week, use the cheatsheets, and primer; 2 hours use those plus the lineup dominator, XYZ articles, etc..."

The other point is the analytics.  This is a spoon-feed world and I think there needs to be a little shift from the crackling newspaper (abundant articles) to the social media (stats at a glance).  I stated it in another thread re: the pool, but I would like to know more about QB/CB, WR/CB, RB/DL or LB matchups, not by the team, but by the individual.  I'd love someone that says Robbie Anderson is a ranked WR21 for the week in PPR.  Robbie is WR12 for the season in PPR, and he is going against (and expected to be shadowed by) Xavier Rhodes who is ranked CB1 this week and CB2 for the year in yielding just 4.2 PPR points to WR he is covering for the season thus far.  Quincy Enunwa is expected to draw...".  I believe this type of info is out there if you cannot create it yourselves, but I'd like to see a marrying of indepth analytics and "your take".

I hope this is taken as constructive feedback, because I really believe this is just tweaking a great service...thanks!

Also, if I want to buy the All-Pro, can I purchase the Insider Pro through Draft, and then somehow have the difference apply to what the All-Pro would cost?

Also, if I want to buy the All-Pro, can I purchase the Insider Pro through Draft, and then somehow have the difference apply to what the All-Pro would cost?
Yes. But don't do the upgrade just yet. It's not official yet but we're working on a SWEET deal that will let the people who get the Season Long insider via DRAFT to upgrade to All Pro really easily. So go ahead and do the DRAFT deal now but hang on a second before upgrading to All Pro.

I would love to see a forum for subscribers where the staff participated in the discussions.  It's one thing to go read through a bunch of rankings but the real value would be when the staff explained their rankings especially the outliers.  The Bloom 100's offer a brief explanation with each player, which is good.  A couple of staffers will comment on players for their rankings but it's not many and the comments don't seem to be updated.

I don't think Chris Wesseling was ever on staff here but he used to have a dynasty thread here that was pure gold.  Harstad and others participated in it.  Having some of your guys that focus on dynasty keep a thread(s) like that would be great and Hindery could do one for Devy players too, as examples. 
100% bolded...

I've subscribed for 10+ years. I mainly do it for the Waldman content. I almost didn't renew when the Matt Harmon content was lost last season. I like what Dan Hinderly does in the dynasty section. The Subscriber contest is always fun, too. The 10 second primer in the myfbg section is pretty handy for my non-best ball leagues.

Two of the products I find most useful at FBGs are the Forums and the Podcasts, and those are both available for free.  I seldom rely upon any of the paid content.  I rely heavily on Twitter for Sunday morning reports, and I spend a fair amount of time in the Shark Pool.  However, I purchase a membership for several reasons:  (1) I heavily rely upon the SP, and I want to support this site; (2) the subscriber contest may be worth the price alone; and (3) I love the Training Camp Updates.  I don't read most of the articles (although I read a lot), and I only rely upon the site rankings when I have no time to make my own last-minute determinations (especially National Guard weekends) or when deciding between two players I see as essentially equal. 

I recommend the paid content to others without any reservation, especially those who claim they do not have the time to do the research.  Let the staff do the research for you, and for less than the cost of a cup of coffee a week, you can dominate most of your opponents.

Been a subscriber for a number of years. I've tried to take advantage of the $10 promos whenever I can.

Just did it today w/ the email about signing up for Draft.com :) One thing I'm not sure about tho is that I signed up after clicking the link in the email as opposed to thru the "Claim Offer" button that I saw on my FBG account. Is there anything I need to do to make sure that it gets applied correctly? I sent you a tweet @Joe Bryant about it earlier, but thought i'd post here as well.

Thanks!

Been a subscriber for a number of years. I've tried to take advantage of the $10 promos whenever I can.

Just did it today w/ the email about signing up for Draft.com :) One thing I'm not sure about tho is that I signed up after clicking the link in the email as opposed to thru the "Claim Offer" button that I saw on my FBG account. Is there anything I need to do to make sure that it gets applied correctly? I sent you a tweet @Joe Bryant about it earlier, but thought i'd post here as well.

Thanks!
You shouldn't have to do a thing. You should get an email to the address you used to sign up with on draft that has the info. If you don't see it, please send an email to help@footballguys.com and they'll run it down for you.

I was a long time subscriber, did not subscribe 2 years ago, and last year I scored a free subscription so I gave it another shot. What was unfortunate was after week 3 or 4 My FBG did not sync with yahoo. Frustrated by week 8 or 10, I did not use that feature rest of season, and I did not find it very much helpful than previous years.

I am considering re-subscribing for dynasty content, but I am not so sure. 

A separate forum for subscribers would be nice. I would much appreciate that, however I think it would render the SP worthless TBH. Perhaps a seperate subcriber forum could be respond only- users are able to respond to threads created by FBG staff, not start their own threads. This would encourage most player-specific discussion occurs in the SP for all to participate, but if people want to ask FBG staff specific questions about weekly content, that would be a good place to go. 

I was a long time subscriber, did not subscribe 2 years ago, and last year I scored a free subscription so I gave it another shot. What was unfortunate was after week 3 or 4 My FBG did not sync with yahoo. Frustrated by week 8 or 10, I did not use that feature rest of season, and I did not find it very much helpful than previous years.

I am considering re-subscribing for dynasty content, but I am not so sure. 

A separate forum for subscribers would be nice. I would much appreciate that, however I think it would render the SP worthless TBH. Perhaps a seperate subcriber forum could be respond only- users are able to respond to threads created by FBG staff, not start their own threads. This would encourage most player-specific discussion occurs in the SP for all to participate, but if people want to ask FBG staff specific questions about weekly content, that would be a good place to go. 
Thanks @Dr. Dan  We had some hiccups with Yahoo that were ironed out but I'm sorry you had trouble. We've revamped the synching for this year and feel it's even better now. I hear you on the subscriber only forum. Hurting the Shark Pool is my primary reason for not doing it. 

Thanks @Dr. Dan  We had some hiccups with Yahoo that were ironed out but I'm sorry you had trouble. We've revamped the synching for this year and feel it's even better now. I hear you on the subscriber only forum. Hurting the Shark Pool is my primary reason for not doing it. 
I'm looking forward to giving it a try. 

one thing fbg has going for it is that the subscription is fairly small in the big scheme of things. 2 bucks a week is hardly breaking the bank, and there's something for everyone. 

The recent swing to the Daily contests and away from Dynasty/IDP is making me debate not subscribing.  In the end, its not that much money and it supports the board....but we did have a long thread here last year about the lack of dynasty and idp content, and it went ignored.  Wasn't a good sign.  Been here since ol 'yeller and its a good place.

The recent swing to the Daily contests and away from Dynasty/IDP is making me debate not subscribing.  In the end, its not that much money and it supports the board....but we did have a long thread here last year about the lack of dynasty and idp content, and it went ignored.  Wasn't a good sign.  Been here since ol 'yeller and its a good place.

Hi @5Rings  Thanks. I agree with you - we think it's a good place too. Wanted to make sure we were clear though - we have added additional writers and content for DFS. But it has no negative effect on our Season Long Content. All the DFS work is in addition to our Season Long. In fact, because we listened to folks two years ago, we've made the DFS content it's own subscription - the Daily Fantasy Pro subscription. We know a lot of people want just Season Long content so we made them separate. You can see some of what we did last year for season long   And for sure - know that we have a great new deal where we've partnered with DRAFT.com and new DRAFT users can get a free Footbalguys Season Long Pro by just depositing $10 with DRAFT.com.  It's a great deal. Important note:. You have to use this link    Thanks for being part of Footballguys. 

Last edited by a moderator:
I stated it in another thread re: the pool, but I would like to know more about QB/CB, WR/CB, RB/DL or LB matchups, not by the team, but by the individual.  I'd love someone that says Robbie Anderson is a ranked WR21 for the week in PPR.  Robbie is WR12 for the season in PPR, and he is going against (and expected to be shadowed by) Xavier Rhodes who is ranked CB1 this week and CB2 for the year in yielding just 4.2 PPR points to WR he is covering for the season thus far.  Quincy Enunwa is expected to draw...".  I believe this type of info is out there if you cannot create it yourselves, but I'd like to see a marrying of indepth analytics and "your take".
I would love this kind of "short hand" analysis!

I never really thought about it before, but I agree with the other who said there is "too much" content.  I hardly ever read any of the articles, instead my focus is the shark pool for information and using the the tools (online DD, the 10 second primer,  the DFS tools for building lineups, and the subscriber contest).

Been an off and on subscriber over the years (up until the last 5 or so years and now renew every year) and found pretty consistently when I subscribed I generally finished top of my league or very close. The 10 second feature often helps in a situation where I may be on the fence especially in IDP leagues where often I find the difference makers to win a matchup when off players are closely rated. I read the IDP articles/features religiously during the season always trying to find that next player that time forgot or future gem often scooping them a week before they blow up. 

As others have said I find the price of the subscription is worth the subscriber contest alone. Not to mention it's not one but 2 contests when you add in the playoff challenge. 

I generally look at a handful of sites during the season for variying opinions/rankings but most times FBGs is my first stop and IMO the content here is always better that what I can find elsewhere. 

I can't imagine NOT being a subscriber now so please keep up the good work Joe and co!!

Edit: forgot to add about the shark pool - I like to combine what I read in the subscriber content with what fellow SP contributers talk about on players. It gives some context to the stats, and data presented in the content. Kind of a boost to what is written in the content and sometimes the context is close to my league set up or a way I'm thinking on something particular. 

I would love this kind of "short hand" analysis!

I never really thought about it before, but I agree with the other who said there is "too much" content.  I hardly ever read any of the articles, instead my focus is the shark pool for information and using the the tools (online DD, the 10 second primer,  the DFS tools for building lineups, and the subscriber contest).
Thanks @Steeler  I agree that kind of info is helpful. We do this type of work in our Rushing and Passing matchups. Here's a random one from Week 7 last year. where we rank each offensive unit's passing and rushing matchup. And this info is all factored into the weekly projections for each player. 

JACKSONVILLE JAGUARS PASSING OFFENSE AT INDIANAPOLIS COLTS PASSING DEFENSE (GREAT MATCHUP)

Blake Bortles finished with a respectable stat line as he completed 23-of-35 passes for 241 yards, one touchdown, and one interception—however, he did not look sharp in doing so as he routinely struggled to hit his targets while also taking too long to get rid of the ball against what was a stout Rams pass rush. Both Marquise Lee and Chris Ivory were his favorite targets, each finishing with 10 targets to combine for nearly two-thirds Bortles’ pass attempts. Ivory scored the team’s only passing touchdown, as he was a favorite check-down option for Bortles—hauling in nine receptions in total for 74 yards. Ivory is the clear passing-down back for the Jaguars and an attractive option for Blake Bortles who has shown that he struggles to push the ball downfield. Allen Hurns finished with only three receptions on three targets for 37 yards.

The Colts secondary has been one of the worst units in the league this season. They rank near the bottom in almost all categories against the pass and have allowed the third and sixth most fantasy points per game to opposing quarterbacks and wide receivers respectively. Cornerback Rashaan Melvin has been the one bright spot of this secondary, as he is allowing one of the lowest catch percentages among cornerbacks this season. However, outside of Melvin, both Vontae Davis on the right side and Pierre Desir out of the slot have played very poorly this season. Allen Hurns should draw coverage from Melvin when lining up on the outside, but Marquise Lee should avoid Melvin all together and be in a great spot to make what few plays Jacksonville wide receivers are capable of making with Blake Bortles throwing them the ball.

I subscribed maybe 5 years ago for the first time and used the Insider info all the time. Since then I have used it less and less and realized that I really don't need it anymore. Nothing really new that I need to read, at least for me. Probably will not subscribe anymore, the Shark Pool works for me.

I subscribe and have for several years. But honestly, I use next to none of the paid content. I pretty much figure my subscription money is what keeps the boards going, and that’s where I spend my time.
This.

I subscribe every year, attracted in the early days in large part by a lot of great content written by @Chase Stuart and a few others.  But, I honestly gave up reading content years ago.  Felt like signal was getting lost in a lot of noise.  Got the sense there was pressure to produce more content for content’s sake.  But, I still support the site because of the board and good data and organizational tools.  If you all didn’t write another article, it wouldn’t impact me a bit, I’d still plunk down my $.

I know of at least 1 former subsciber (hint - it's me!) that would re-up if the Wisdom of the Crowds contest was brought back. That thing was great. The season long contest is fun, but i suck at it so WDIS keeps me entertained more than 3 weeks. Another little bonus is the 1/2 off the FPC satellite contest. Saves 17 bucks.  Though i wouldn't do that contest without the discount.

On The Couch is great.  The Audible doesn't really interest me near as much. Maybe some host rotations on that one?  I listened to the DFS version this last year just to get some different viewpoints. It was pretty good, and i don't even do DFS. 

DD is a fun tool for cheap yahoo leagues etc, but i wouldn't subscribe for it. I guess i trust my gut in the heat of things. Though that rarely ends up well for me.

My favorite "tool" is the schedule grid!  Yes, I'm simple. 

This is helpful to me as I've never thought of them as very closely connected. 
Buddy it surprises me this surprises you.

Meaning I don't have any idea how many people here also purchase a FBG subscription. 
I’m just kind of like I said surprised. This place is a gateway drug, or should be. The knowledge and discussions here aren’t about leaching off of others it’s about that moment when you start taking Data and experience and extrapolating conclusions about what is an extremely unwieldy subject matter.

For me I recall I read and lurked for ages before I logged on. I think I first accessed the data via subscription when I saw people talking about good info they would not ethically share (rightly).

Just a note - bring back a kicker article? I made my bones off of the SF kicker last year and I only picked that up because of the kicker thread. Iirc down 20 I won with a 22 point day in the last afternoon game of the FF season. The last kick was in OT. How beautiful is that? I miss Herman and at a minimum you can honestly say you cover every single possible angle. TBQH I don’t think the K rankings do much if anything. 

For about the last 6 years I have been subscribing just for the subscribers contest.Before that I bought it because I thought it would help me in FF.But I am beyond help I stink at it,but I love the contest.

Buddy it surprises me this surprises you.

I’m just kind of like I said surprised. This place is a gateway drug, or should be. The knowledge and discussions here aren’t about leaching off of others it’s about that moment when you start taking Data and experience and extrapolating conclusions about what is an extremely unwieldy subject matter.

For me I recall I read and lurked for ages before I logged on. I think I first accessed the data via subscription when I saw people talking about good info they would not ethically share (rightly).

Just a note - bring back a kicker article? I made my bones off of the SF kicker last year and I only picked that up because of the kicker thread. Iirc down 20 I won with a 22 point day in the last afternoon game of the FF season. The last kick was in OT. How beautiful is that? I miss Herman and at a minimum you can honestly say you cover every single possible angle. TBQH I don’t think the K rankings do much if anything. 
Cool. I'm often surprised but that's why I ask questions. Sure, I look kind of dumb lots of times asking questions and then being surprised but I've found that's a small price to pay for getting the truer story. :hifive:  

For about the last 6 years I have been subscribing just for the subscribers contest.Before that I bought it because I thought it would help me in FF.But I am beyond help I stink at it,but I love the contest.
With you @rustycolts  I've long said the contest is worth the price of the subscription by itself. While we're on the topic of me being surprised, I'm continually surprised every year that so many people buy a subscription and don't even bother to enter the free contest. Seems nuts to me. 

I’ve never subscribed. I found the site while looking for podcasts and started listening to that stuff. Explored the site some more and started reading the boards for a couple years before I gave you my email and started giving my .02. I appreciate not only the fantasy knowledge and different takes but also the myriad of different subjects, stories, and arguements. So many life lessons, tips on anything from buying a house to investing, video games, music, movies, what to do when in _____, what trump/Hillary did/didn’t do, and so much more. People sharing their lives. It’s a great place most of the time. 

Yes. But don't do the upgrade just yet. It's not official yet but we're working on a SWEET deal that will let the people who get the Season Long insider via DRAFT to upgrade to All Pro really easily. So go ahead and do the DRAFT deal now but hang on a second before upgrading to All Pro.
@Joe Bryant

Looking forward hearing more about the upgrade when you have the info.

A couple of questions.  How long will the Draft deal be available?  If I'm already an All-Pro for two more years will another year be added on or will I be getting a second 2018 subscription?

Have been a paid subscriber for maybe 10 yrs and also helped beta test a lot of the apps. Will gladly subscribe again this year, love the products and services. Keep up the good work fellas and thanks for adding Fantrax to the myfbg sync!

@Joe Bryant

Looking forward hearing more about the upgrade when you have the info.

A couple of questions.  How long will the Draft deal be available?  If I'm already an All-Pro for two more years will another year be added on or will I be getting a second 2018 subscription?
Thanks Buddy. Almost ready to go on the upgrade deal. 

The DRAFT Deal will likely be available all summer. And yes, if you do the DRAFT deal and already have a subscription, it'll just add an additional year to whatever you already have.

Thanks Buddy. Almost ready to go on the upgrade deal. 

The DRAFT Deal will likely be available all summer. And yes, if you do the DRAFT deal and already have a subscription, it'll just add an additional year to whatever you already have.
I'm in the same boat. I already had a subscription for this season and then used the link to sign up for Draft but it didn't add a year to my existing subscription, it gave me a 2nd subscription for 2018 with a new username and password.

I'm in the same boat. I already had a subscription for this season and then used the link to sign up for Draft but it didn't add a year to my existing subscription, it gave me a 2nd subscription for 2018 with a new username and password.
Hmm. Shouldn't have done that. Can you please send an email to help@footballguys.com and tell them exactly what happened and what emails and all you used. They will get it fixed so the additional year is added. Thanks for signing up!

Still send the email to help@footballguys.com and our guys can help. They're telling me the few times they've seen this happen is if the subscriber registers with DRAFT using a different email than they are signed up with for their FBG Subscription. Could that be it?

Have read through this and felt the need to chime in. 

Like most on the board this time of year, I have been here since the beginning. Even had #140 when we had our subscriber numbers. 

My main tool to use, talking from the subscription perspective, is the VBD application. 

Never got past square one on the DD but that is mostly because all my drafts are live and it was just too much to juggle...and in-person live drafts I have been part of typically do not allow the use of electronics, just cheat sheets. 

Still send the email to help@footballguys.com and our guys can help. They're telling me the few times they've seen this happen is if the subscriber registers with DRAFT using a different email than they are signed up with for their FBG Subscription. Could that be it?
Yes. I used a different email address with Draft. I figured that was it. I emailed and they've already responded saying it will be taken care of. All good!

Users who are viewing this thread