What's new
Fantasy Football - Footballguys Forums

Welcome to Our Forums. Once you've registered and logged in, you're primed to talk football, among other topics, with the sharpest and most experienced fantasy players on the internet.

Shooting at Texas church (2 Viewers)

This story will disappear in a week and people won't care anymore, but the Colin Kapernick/NFL players kneeling controversy will likely continue into next year. People that love football will boycott it but people that love guns won't take any steps to change a single thing. #### this ####### violence, it's really wearing on me 
Power of the media. Gotta love it.

Power of the media. Gotta love it.
I always see these as a chicken vs egg, nature vs nurture thing. How much is the media steering the story? How much is the media just giving people the stories they respond to so they can get the ratings,clicks,likes, etc? 

Whether it was a white person, black person, Christian, muslim, American, immigrant....it was a hateful act of terrorism.  

I got this off the internet so I have NO way of knowing how accurate it is- 

but apparently the shooter was a white guy named Chris Ward, who shot his family first, and there’s some kind of personal connection to the church. I don’t know what it is, and again, I don’t know if any of this is true...

but apparently the shooter was a white guy named Chris Ward, who shot his family first, and there’s some kind of personal connection to the church. I don’t know what it is, and again, I don’t know if any of this is true...
White shooter = mental illness track

Saw this on Twitter.

IMPORTANT: We deleted 2 posts that said Chris Ward was the Texas gunman, his nephew seems to confirm that he’s is a victim & NOT the shooter

To be fair, a gun can't do anything on its own. I'm not saying they're right, but mental health in this country must be overhauled.
Not that I disagree, but mental healthy is a big problem to tackle.  Where do you even start? 

To be fair, a gun can't do anything on its own. I'm not saying they're right, but mental health in this country must be overhauled.
To be fair, NRA got their politicians to block legislation to keep guns from people with mental illness

To be fair, NRA got their politicians to block legislation to keep guns from people with mental illness
That's where they're wrong. But as for where to start, my best guess would be to start with conditions that cause violent tendencies.

According to several people who know the guy he wasn't the shooter, and was actually killed as well in the shooting.  who knows?    

Not that I disagree, but mental healthy is a big problem to tackle.  Where do you even start? 
It would be costly but we could provide quality mental health services. I students that are certified with a social emotional disability. We have 1 social worker with a caseload of 100 kids so she basically sees the kids for 15 minutes 2-3 times a month. They can get mental health outside of school but those therapists generally have so many patients that they see each kids like 1x a month. It's like that scene in Dunkirk where they are all trapped in the bottom of boat while being shot at and they are all running around trying to plug all the holes by hand. 

A much cheaper approach would be for everyone to try and be nicer to each other. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It would be costly but we could provide quality mental health services. I students that are certified with a social emotional disability. We have 1 social worker with a caseload of 100 kids so she basically sees the kids for 15 minutes 2-3 times a month. They can get mental health outside of school but those therapists generally have so many patients that they see each kids like 1x a month. It's like that scene in Dunkirk where they are all trapped in the bottom of boat while being shot at and they are all running around trying to plug all the holes by hand. 
Dude, spoiler tags!

I agree mental health needs to be looked at...and my problem with the NRA or lobbyists on either sides of this issue is that it’s always...no, can’t do that.  Rather than sitting down helping shape the laws that would benefit all(and this can be applied to more than just this issue)

Wouldnit not be better for a group like the NRA to help craft laws that are better for their own law abiding members?  Rather than fight anythjng and everything they can?

A much cheaper approach would be for everyone to try and be nicer to each other. 
I'd be good with making people take a mental health screening prior to purchasing a firearm.  The periodic reviews would probably be too much for the govt to regulate.   

Addressing mental illness will not stop stuff like this. Not sure why people think it will. 

CNN not sure yet if it's terrorism or a hate crime. Got news for ya CNN, a hate crime is terrorism. This is domestic terrorism.

No where is safe in this country. It's the way it is unless you take serious drastic measures that most people will object to. The worst place to be is in a large group of people that are soft targets.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, you start by allowing people to make ends meet.  It's hard to make a living in this country and it causes tremendous stress on people.  Those people often turn to drugs and alcohol as a means of coping, or criminal activity in some form or fashion.  I'm not saying that this particular shooting is related to any of this, but we have a serious mental health issue in this country that nobody wants to pay for.  Much of it comes from poverty or people that are struggling to pay their bills and raise a family.  That causes a lot of stress and lots of people cannot deal with it very well.

That's a place to start, but since we keep electing people that only want the 1% to have everything, this problem will continue to get worse.

I agree mental health needs to be looked at...and my problem with the NRA or lobbyists on either sides of this issue is that it’s always...no, can’t do that.  Rather than sitting down helping shape the laws that would benefit all(and this can be applied to more than just this issue)

Wouldnit not be better for a group like the NRA to help craft laws that are better for their own law abiding members?  Rather than fight anythjng and everything they can?
You think these people are interested in bargaining or negotiating to help the country?

They aren't.

I'd be good with making people take a mental health screening prior to purchasing a firearm.  The periodic reviews would probably be too much for the govt to regulate.   
We are able to do it with a license to drive a car, why not a gun license? 

Addressing mental illness will not stop stuff like this. Not sure why people think it will. 

CNN not sure yet if it's terrorism or a hate crime. Got news for ya CNN, a hate crime is terrorism. This is domestic terrorism.

No where is safe in this country. It's the way it is unless you take serious drastic measures that most people will object to. The worst place to be is in a large group of people that are soft targets.
Not sure why you think it wouldn't help at all. 

I don’t think we should call something terrorism unless the motive is political. I don’t think we should call something a hate crime unless the motive is racial or against a specified group. 

This is a mass shooting; it may develop that it was an act of terrorism or a hate crime, but so far we don’t know. I apologize for my earlier post, but since this is an Internet forum I figured speculation was OK. 

We are able to do it with a license to drive a car, why not a gun license? 
Because we'd have to seek out and track people that don't come in voluntarily.   Then what?  knock on their door and demand their gun?  Or someone fails their review for being unstable and the govt then forces the issue with an unstable person.  I just see the potential problems.   

Mental health care in this country is a bigger joke than gun control

Well, you start by allowing people to make ends meet.  It's hard to make a living in this country and it causes tremendous stress on people.  Those people often turn to drugs and alcohol as a means of coping, or criminal activity in some form or fashion.  I'm not saying that this particular shooting is related to any of this, but we have a serious mental health issue in this country that nobody wants to pay for.  Much of it comes from poverty or people that are struggling to pay their bills and raise a family.  That causes a lot of stress and lots of people cannot deal with it very well.

That's a place to start, but since we keep electing people that only want the 1% to have everything, this problem will continue to get worse.
good thoughts 

easy access to weapons + an unhappy population + an American tradition of violence worship + poor mental health systems + economic stress 

Because we'd have to seek out and track people that don't come in voluntarily.   Then what?  knock on their door and demand their gun?  Or someone fails their review for being unstable and the govt then forces the issue with an unstable person.  I just see the potential problems.   
For starters, we could card every time you try and buy ammo and at every gun range. If the card is expired, no sale. I am not at all advocating going into people's homes looking for guns. 

If someone is unstable, that could be an issue but I am sure we could come up with some kind of solution that is better than just "F it, let anyone have a gun." 

Is it safe to go anywhere anymore? Can't go to a concert, church, WalMart, anywhere with out putting your life at risk.

Users who are viewing this thread